The "Official" Pioneer VSX-1022-K Owner's Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 423 Old 01-23-2013, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Finally got around to setting up my VSX-1022-K that the wife gave me for Christmas, and am fairly pleased. Stats:

- Running 5.1 in the living room and B speakers on the patio.
- XBox 360 (WMC extender) and PS3 via HDMI, both behave appropriately and at 1080P.
- MCACC worked well.
- Networking features all work (with the latest firmware), despite the ugly UI.

The only issue I'm trying to resolve now is whether the B speakers have individual tuning available (mine are fairly soft in comparison). It seems like the manual speaker setup referenced in the manual only applies to the A speakers, leaving me with the choices of running A+B with the outside speakers sounding normal and the living room speakers thundering, or running just the B speakers only and really cranking the volume up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 423 Old 01-23-2013, 07:00 PM

Liked: 10
hey everyone

i just joined AVS, wanted your thoughts on some speakers i purchased for my vsx-1022k

i'm excited to match these speakers, want to know if they will complement the receiver

front left/right channel using BOSE 201 series bookshelf speakers
center channel using infinity primus PC251
surround left/right using hyline audio (some old no name brand purchased long time ago) tower speakers
powered sub using polk audio PSW10

i know its a mix and match but what are your thoughts?

thanks
post #183 of 423 Old 01-23-2013, 07:03 PM

Liked: 19
I think you should return your Bose and get some 253's or 363s to match the center.
post #184 of 423 Old 01-24-2013, 07:02 AM

Well, I did finally end up with the 1022-k. But what a saga:

Best Buy had the VSX 42 on sale for 250$ on BF. I think it is basically the Elite version of this one. I said, hey, awesome, better warranty and a couple other features (I might never use). So I drive an hour and get it. Set it up. Have it for all of 2 days. Buddy sends me a text:

"Hey my dad just passed his Denon onto me. Do you want my (onkyo) NR609 for free?" (this dude is like my brother, he wouldn't even take my money, and his dad LOVES new tech so this is not THAT unusual) I really didn't want to return the VSX (the driving! AGAIN!), but this was money back in my pocket I could spend on something else, plus a "better" receiver.

So I return it the next morning. Best Buy was great about it. I set up the Onkyo that day, love it. Say to the wife, hey since I have this money and that was supposed to be my Xmas present....how about I get some speakers? So I hit Neweggs sale, and picked up a CS1 center ($80) and Monitor 60 Series 2 floorstanding speakers (100$ each). HUGE upgrade over my speakers from an Onkyo HTIB. Got my mother in law to kick in for the PSW 10 for 80$ (!). Kicks all sorts of butt compared to the speaker setup I had.

Then I am watching Sherlock Holmes 2 a week ago....and the picture and sound drop out. I look at the screen, and it reads "Check SP Wire". Uh-oh, went through this with my LAST Onkyo. Open the cabinet, I smell burning. Oh jeez. I unplug it all, let it sit an hour. Re-try. No go. Tried that for the next few days. Nada. The f'er is fried and from what I read, it is most likely the HDMI board, which is RAMPANT with this series/brand apparently. Same thing happened to me last time, though I am NOT sure it was the HDMI that time. Oi.

My buddy does not have the receipt...nor did he ever register it. Oh man. Dude. Come on. Reading how Onkyo deals with people who DO follow all the Ps and Qs lately, I figure I am boned. Hemmed and hawed for a week or two and decided, dammit, I cannot stare at these speakers being useless anymore. Saw the Newegg deal for 240$ on Sunday, said heck with it, i am doing it. Purchased their one year no hassle warranty deal (which normally I would never do) because my buddys Onkyo was the second AVR to die on me for no apparent reason. Only other 7.1 receiver in this price range was another Onkyo, RC-360 I think. NO THANKS!

The receiver itself:

So I only have had it set up for two days now, but so far I am liking it. It DOES FEEL budget in many regards (not being able to re-label or assign inputs DOES bug me, I'll get over it) and the video upconvert does NOT upconvert 480i over HDMI consistently (this was big for me as I run old videogames like TG-16, NES, etc, they even mention in the manual it may have hard time with older videogames) but I had an old 40 foot composite for that on my old receiver (which had NO upconvert) and all my cables are easily hidden so I can live with that. It gives the TV a pure signal off of my AV switch anyway that way (no processing/stretching), but yeah, now I have to press two buttons (one on TV, one on receiver) as opposed to one to get to my games. Oh well. And it doesn't seem to remember sound settings by input (like I want to leave SAT/CBL on Stereo, and VIDEO on Auto, but I seem to have to switch the sound mode back and forth as I switch inputs...(am I wrong here other owners?)

Most important part to me though, especially reading the CNET review...I think it sounds great. Keep in mind I am a movie guy, not a music or streaming radio guy. In fact, I'll likely never use any of those features. But first thing I did (after the MCACC setup, which did a good job to my ears) was watch the damn Sherlock movie I was watching when the Onkyo crapped the bed. The sound was very nice and the surrounds (a criticism in the CNET review) were well integrated and certainly part of the sound. Watched Die Hard blu last night. I don't know where this receiver volume "number" maxes out but 53-55 was all I could take without rattling the walls and blasting my eardrums. Plenty of power indeed as a few of you told me earlier in the thread, and I put my hand over the top at the end of Sherlock...warm, but not hot at all. Also, I noticed no video degradation, which also seems to be a criticism of this unit. HDMI switching is fairly fast, though doing it by the knob is not my favorite. Yeah, I could use the remote, but I tend to leave that remote in the cabinet once the Volume is mapped to my DTV remote.

So there's drawbacks for sure, but for a movie fan wanting good 7.1 sound, for 250$? I consider this thing a very very good receiver. Assignable inputs and a more consistent HDMI upconvert would have pushed it to "Great" (for the price, always keeping in mind the price) for me.

Now we get down to the nitty gritty as I really get to toy with it.
post #185 of 423 Old 01-24-2013, 09:35 AM

Hi CoTorrey,

To access DLNA....

With your Pioneer VSX-1022-K ethernet cable connected to the same network as your active DLNA server do the following:

1.On your Pioneer remote press the network button until M. Server appears
2.This should list the DLNA Media on your local network
3. Use the nav buttons on the remote to browse your DLNA server acordingly and playback.

Tip: if you have drives in sleep mode on your dlna server the remote wakeup in Win7 takes longer than performed directly on the OS. Try waking up your drives from you PC or other server device running Win7

Troubleshooting:
Restart your DLNA server and/or services
Make sure both devices are on the same network
Make sure you are using a DLNA 1.5 Certified media server

I'm currently running PS3 Media Server and was disappointed that the pioneer could not play .mkv files. I'm currently looking for solutions which brought me to this forum today. Hopefully my NAS will be able to serve them up according to DLNA 1.5 standards that this pioneer device is certified for.

good luck.
post #186 of 423 Old 01-24-2013, 09:36 AM

delete
post #187 of 423 Old 01-24-2013, 12:48 PM

n/a
post #188 of 423 Old 01-25-2013, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Everyone has preferences. I beleive as for music the best audio comes when Stereo. I beleive Pandora if set to stereo you will get a better response on the bass.. Second is that you probably need a different EQ when listening music. Its not the same EQ as for movies. My recommendation is to set a new manual eq settings on one of the memory banks for just CDs, MP3, Pandora sources. Sometimes I have to raise the SW level 3 or 4dbs but his will also affects to all EQs; so best thing is to get a specific memory bank and setup the "V" Curve; then go to Standing Wave and setup SW TRIM and add "3dbs" to whatever value you have there. As for the "V" curve its trying to to a curve like the following settings on Left and Right Channel Only. Give this a try and let me know. I have a nice "V" curve at home; great for music; Im working right now; but I will try to plot it here" I can get my setup and post it later. So; do this Manual EQ on one of the Banks; add +3dbs on Standwing Wave; and let me know your results!

63Hz @ +4.0 db
125Hz @ +2.5 db
250Hz @ +1.0 db
500Hz @ -2.0 Db
1k @ -3.0 db
2k @ -2.0 db
4k @ +1.0 db
8k @ +2.0 db
16k @ +3.0 db
post #189 of 423 Old 01-25-2013, 08:35 AM

n/a
post #190 of 423 Old 01-25-2013, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabal0 View Post

Good info, thanks. However, I believe my issue is a configuration one. I've tried all variations of stereo/surround modes, including playing with EQ values, and my sub still goes into auto-standby after 15 minutes of playing Pandora or netradio (i.e. no output from the sub-out).

Switching to the PS3 (HDMI audio) and playing the same music via DLNA immediately kicks the sub back on.

I own that sub; and honestly try to get a better one. I replaced the original sub drvier with another 10" driver and performs way better. But you can get a $200 sub that performs much better. JBL has one model $199; Klipsh has another 10" sub for similar price.
post #191 of 423 Old 01-25-2013, 09:57 AM

n/a
post #192 of 423 Old 01-25-2013, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabal0 View Post

No doubt it's a budget sub, but that doesn't change the fact that there is no output over the sub-out in this situation. Thanks, though.
Right..... that's correct; im just suggesting. You got same problem on both sub-preouts? Also try to get a borrow sub to see...
post #193 of 423 Old 01-25-2013, 03:18 PM

Liked: 11
Use the ADV SURR button on the remote and slect EXT.STEREO. This will drive the subwoofer from a stereo source.
Cabal0 likes this.
post #194 of 423 Old 01-25-2013, 04:04 PM

I picked this up on Best Buy's price match with Amazon and like but I'm having one issue that I have a question on.

The receiver makes a clicking noise when watching something. It is the same sound it makes when the feed changes. It happens most often when I'm watching from my Tivo set either to Dolby or PCM. It also happens when watching blu rays but to a much lesser extent. The display does not indicate there is any change in the feed. It also can be repeated at the same location. If rewind either the Tivo or bluray to the last point it happened, it will not make the sound again. While continuing to watch it will at later times again.

I wanted to verify - is this normal behavior or should I exchange it?
post #195 of 423 Old 01-26-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm28 View Post

I picked this up on Best Buy's price match with Amazon and like but I'm having one issue that I have a question on.

The receiver makes a clicking noise when watching something. It is the same sound it makes when the feed changes. It happens most often when I'm watching from my Tivo set either to Dolby or PCM. It also happens when watching blu rays but to a much lesser extent. The display does not indicate there is any change in the feed. It also can be repeated at the same location. If rewind either the Tivo or bluray to the last point it happened, it will not make the sound again. While continuing to watch it will at later times again.

I wanted to verify - is this normal behavior or should I exchange it?

Mine is not making random clicks, and I have watched Basically every source I have on it now, DVR, PS3, Cable.

I do not want to throw out red herrings and panic you but my Onkyo DID make random clicks before the HDMI board died, the same noise it would make on a feed change . I truly hesitate to add that as it likely means little. But the clicks are not normal behavior IMO.
post #196 of 423 Old 01-27-2013, 01:49 PM

Thanks. I went ahead and exchanged at Best Buy this morning. Works perfectly so far now. No clicking at all. Thanks again.
post #197 of 423 Old 01-27-2013, 04:27 PM

Glad to hear it man!
post #198 of 423 Old 01-28-2013, 10:21 AM

Hello there

I just got my VSX-1022-K unit. I am still trying out all the bells and whistles.

One thing I was trying was to play Youtube video content from an iPhone 4 and an iPad2 and view it on my TV. I connect it using the front USB dock and the cable provided. Then I press the front iPod/USB direct control button but only sound shows up.

I am able to view videos using the stock apple video app but not Youtube. Am I missing something?

Thanks.
post #199 of 423 Old 01-28-2013, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I am considering purchasing this receiver and am wondering if it can do the following. I have all my music on an external hard drive in 16 bit/44.1KHz.WAV format with each CD in its own directory or subdirectory. I know I should have used FLAC but a lot of things didn't support it at the time I did the conversion. Can I plug this drive into the VSX-1022 and select a directory to play without turning on the TV either using the remote and display on the unit or on the Android remote app? I also have ps3mediaserver running, can I play music from that or better yet video files through the receiver alone, currently I have to use the PS3 to play files from my media server.
post #200 of 423 Old 01-28-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clbkdaz View Post

I'm getting ready to return my Sony DH-520 and thinking that I will pick this Pioneer vsx-1022 k in its place. I was hoping that 1 of the owners of this could let me know if the receiver stays in the last input mode when it is turned off and back on again.

It seems silly...but the Sony defaults to TV on every shutdown/restart forcing me to manually change the input back to Sat/Cable to watch Direct TV. It's just extremely annoying and not something I'm willing to do every time I turn on the TV.

I'm sure someone here has a cable box/direct TV box hooked up to the receiver. Does it stay in Sat/Cable (or whatever the pioneer equivalent setting is) when you turn it off and back on again?

Yes, it goes back to the source you were last on. As a side note, when turned off on Pandora, it goes back to Pandora but you have hit Resume.
post #201 of 423 Old 01-28-2013, 09:48 PM

I'm having a interesting problem where Airplay does not show up anymore, it was working, then I switched ports on my router and set up MACC and something else??? Then Airplay disappeared from iPod and iPad.
I have since tried Factory Reset, then Firmware Upgrade, power off with unplug.... with no luck.
Pandora and NetRadio works fine as does the iControl App.
Still no Airplay.
Anybody have any other suggestions?
How is Pioneer support?
post #202 of 423 Old 01-29-2013, 11:28 AM

My receiver returns to Sat/Cable when power is cycled. I configured Sat/Cable as a pass through so I do not have to turn on the VSX-1022 to watch cable. This configuration probably switches to Sat/Cable when powered down.
post #203 of 423 Old 01-29-2013, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokar View Post

I am considering purchasing this receiver and am wondering if it can do the following. I have all my music on an external hard drive in 16 bit/44.1KHz.WAV format with each CD in its own directory or subdirectory. I know I should have used FLAC but a lot of things didn't support it at the time I did the conversion. Can I plug this drive into the VSX-1022 and select a directory to play without turning on the TV either using the remote and display on the unit or on the Android remote app? I also have ps3mediaserver running, can I play music from that or better yet video files through the receiver alone, currently I have to use the PS3 to play files from my media server.

The wav files should play fine on this unit (although mine are either flac or mp3). The jury is out on plugging in an external hard drive. It may depend on the file format of the hard drive (FAT32, etc.) and obviously you would need to power it separately. A USB thumb drive does work fine. Of the three options you listed for control I would emphatically suggest that only the Android remote app is usable. The front display isn't available to sort through the music (although the TV is). I would guess that the ps3mediaserver would show up as a DLNA server. All of my various DLNA servers have presented themselves on my network to the receiver. I haven't tried the video function as i don't have a TV/monitor hooked up to the unit at this point.

anjenaire

"Conservation, it's worth the energy"
post #204 of 423 Old 01-30-2013, 12:00 PM

Hello, please forgive me if I am asking a question that has already been asked. I just got my 1022-k hooked up and I downloaded the android app to control it. I am having trouble with the remote control (physical piece with buttons) when trying to access and sign into Pandora. Primarily, the remote control will not navigate any of the "online" menus the only thing it will control is the speaker and sound control. The remote will take me to the screen that has the options "new to Pandora" or "Existing user", but beyond that, I can't select anything. If i use the mobile app, i get as far as the "Enter Username" screen, then the app just says "App does not support this operation" and the remote is equally useless.
This thread is kind of old, so i hope i can still get some help here. Thanks
post #205 of 423 Old 02-01-2013, 11:13 AM

NETWORK STANDBY

I was having connection problems with the Media Server. My two PCs would show up on the network and but would frequently disconnect any time they hibernated or the VSX was powered down. I would have to disconnect the LAN cable, unplug the VSX or restart the PCs to get reconnected. I had Network Standby set to ON. This allowed the ControlApp on my android phone to turn on the VSX. Nework Standby appears to be designed for Apple Airplay connections. When I set Network Standy to OFF all my network connection problems were sloved. Now the PCs reconnect automatically whenever any of the devices hibernate or when power is cylced. If your non-Apple connections are unstable try setting Network Standby to OFF. I can live with ControlApp not truning on the VSX.

Cody-A:
You can sign into Pandora using the Pioneer remote and the clunky fields dsplayed on your TV. It is easier to open the VSX-1022 browser by right-clicking on the icon in your XP or Win 7 network screen. You can sign into pandora using the web browser.
post #206 of 423 Old 02-01-2013, 06:13 PM

Anyone know how long in should take for the new firmware to upload? I could not access Pandora and am installing the new firmware as I write this. It's been flashing "update" on the receiver for about 15 minutes.

More news... I left the update on overnight and it is still flashing "update"... Anyone have any advice??
post #207 of 423 Old 02-01-2013, 11:41 PM

What is the best price you guys have found on this AVR? It's time to buy.
post #208 of 423 Old 02-02-2013, 12:20 AM
Advanced Member

Ok, I'm having a late night brain fart, I can't seem to get standby pass through to work... The wife doesn't want to hear the stereo late at night....
post #209 of 423 Old 02-02-2013, 12:32 AM
Advanced Member

Nevermind, I worked it out....
post #210 of 423 Old 02-02-2013, 07:58 AM

Firmware update fail is probably due to the wrong flash drive format. See a previous post for format info. I had the same issue and I just removed the flash used a different one.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Vsx 1022 K 560w 7 Channel A V Receiver
Gear in this thread - 560w by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page