AVS Forum banner

The "Official" Pioneer VSX-1022-K Owner's Thread

109K views 480 replies 187 participants last post by  jwagner022570 
#1 ·
I have Purchased Pioneer VSX 1022 K recently and started using it.

Please share your Views and experiences with this Receiver.

#2 ·
Hi, i don't have one yet, but I believe it is going to be my choice. It has the hdmi upconverting from analog video sources, and Pandora and Airplay. I don't believe I need the features of the 1122. And it is cheaper than the Onkyo and Denon options I think. Denon doesn't have AM radio which i think is a little premature to get rid of. And Onkyo has quality control problems I hear.

What do you like about your system?

#4 ·
I just picked this receiver up this weekend as it was on sale at Fry's for only $250. Hard to beat the price. I'm replacing a Elite VSX-92TXH as the DTS-HD 7.1 drop outs where to annoying and out of warranty. I had read somewhere that this unit runs very hot and will actually have a thermal reset if ran too long. I just had mine on for over 3 hrs watching the Avengers and had no issues, but it was rather warm to the touch on the top. Something to keep an eye on and keep in a very well ventilated area. I'm even thinking of adding a fan.

#5 ·
I have newbie question. I just got this receiver and the home menu looks totally different than in the manual. My home menu looks something like this.

1. Network Configuration

3. firmware update

5. system Info

I am not home and I forgot the other options.

Do I need to upgrade firmware? Where should I get that?

Thanks

#7 ·
I bought the 1022 at Best Buy for $340 with 2 years extended warranty. Best Buy price matched newegg.com price. Needless to say after 8 hours of ownership I returned it. Other than having a phone app to control the receiver, which didn't work correctly, I wasn't very impress. To be honest it wasn't an upgrade from my HT-R960 receiver at all. My wife like being able to control Pandora from her phone, but the sound quality was horrible. I ended up connecting my Squeezebox to my old Onkyo AVR. Sound quality was much better.

I think for the price the 1022 at $280 is a good AVR for watching movies, but for using internet apps it was horrible.

#8 ·
I'm routing cable box and bluray to my Sharp Aquos HDTV, and routing digital audio (optical) from the TV to the VSX-1022. I'm routing a seperate digital audio cable (coax) from the blueray player to the VSX-1022.

I'm not hearing anything from my center or rear surround speakers, only the right and left stereo speakers. Things worked as expected with the previous receiver (a Denon) configured the same way. The problem exists on all television channels I've tried (several), and "Sound of Music", "Watchmen", and "Top Gun" bluray discs. Selecting the blueray directly (via coax) also does not work.

I can hear proper levels when I use the "Manual SP setup"/"Channel Level" feature, so I know the speakers are properly connected. The manual does not appear to address this.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance - Bob

#9 ·
I upgraded from my 2009 model 1019AH to the 1022 and so far am pretty disappointed. This feels like a very "budget" receiver.

-Cannot label inputs. Receivers from 10 years ago at half the cost can do this. This wasnt even a thought when purchased as I figured it was a common feature today. My 1019 was able to rename inputs.

-The volume is not permanently displayed, it is only shown when adjusting. 1019 had the volume permanetly dispalyed in the upper right hand corner as most receivers do.

-The volume is measured from 1-75, not IN dB. My 1019 was measured in dB.

-Sound quality is fine so far (but I've only had it for a day now).

-My 1019 had an illuminated Vol. knob, this one does not.

I found this receiver brand new for $250 and didnt think twice about selling my 1019AH and buying this one. Figured the 1019AH is 3 years old and this one should have the same features and more, but it doesnt.

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZ1276  /t/1431029/the-official-pioneer-vsx-1022-k-owners-thread#post_22564578

I upgraded from my 2009 model 1019AH to the 1022 and so far am pretty disappointed. This feels like a very "budget" receiver.

-Cannot label inputs. Receivers from 10 years ago at half the cost can do this. This wasnt even a thought when purchased as I figured it was a common feature today. My 1019 was able to rename inputs.

-The volume is not permanently displayed, it is only shown when adjusting. 1019 had the volume permanetly dispalyed in the upper right hand corner as most receivers do.

-The volume is measured from 1-75, not IN dB. My 1019 was measured in dB.

-Sound quality is fine so far (but I've only had it for a day now).

-My 1019 had an illuminated Vol. knob, this one does not.

I found this receiver brand new for $250 and didnt think twice about selling my 1019AH and buying this one. Figured the 1019AH is 3 years old and this one should have the same features and more, but it doesnt.

I felt that same way. I bought the 1022 for $250, which Best Buy priced match, but playing Pandora was horrible. It made my front speaker's tweeter sound like they were going to explode with static. So, after owning it for approximately 8 hours, I returned it.

#14 ·
Found another glitch... I have a TivoHD connected via optical cable and when changing channels on the Tivo there is a loud static POP sound that the receiver puts out. This has never happened before and I've had 2 other (Pioneer receivers) connected to the same TivoHD.

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob0269  /t/1431029/the-official-pioneer-vsx-1022-k-owners-thread#post_22568541

I described it in post #8, but in a nutshell I only get "stereo mode" (front two speakers only - no center or back).

You know that 95% of TVs only output 2 CH stereo right? Unless youre positive you achieved Dolby Digital with your previous Denon receiver and the same connections, I would try to connect you components directly to your receiver instead of going through the TV.

#16 ·
I called Pioneer and they said the same thing. The Denon must have been synthesizing the surround from the stereo. It isn't obvious to me why the TV can't forward the surround info, but I am a novice at this stuff.

The reason for setting it up the way I did was then I could just control the TV and cable, and the receiver would not need to change except volumn. I'll try the recommended configuration.

Thanks for your reply.

#17 ·
Well let me ask you this...

On your Denon, was the Dolby Digital indicator lighting up????

I'll bet your Denon was taking the 2 channel stereo signal from the TV and putting on ProLogic sound, which the Pioneer is also capable of doing.

BTW, is there even a firmware update available yet? Ive looked on Pio's site and dont see any

#18 ·
I'm not sure about the indicator on the Denon. It stopped working and I don't know why. It was a refurb so I just put it down to loosing the bet.

It's quite possible that it was the optical port that failed (I did try a different cable with the same result), which means it might have worked by routing HDMI from cable box/BD to the receiver the way I'm going to do with the Pioneer. I still have the Denon so I might try it for the fun of it. I will say that there were posts on a forum before I got it that described problems with HDMI signals on the Denon. That was another reason for setting things up the way I did. I'll report findings.

#19 ·
Just curious, on my reciever the vol. is 0-75 ?, is there a way to change it to - to + 0 db range (if you understand my meaning)?

Also what is your average vol. setting, it was in a small room originally and was 45ish, after moving to a larger room I now run 55-60.

After the Auto calibrate my rears are 0db and fronts are at -12 to -14db

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki Steve  /t/1431029/the-official-pioneer-vsx-1022-k-owners-thread#post_22593412

Just curious, on my reciever the vol. is 0-75 ?, is there a way to change it to - to + 0 db range (if you understand my meaning)?

Also what is your average vol. setting, it was in a small room originally and was 45ish, after moving to a larger room I now run 55-60.

After the Auto calibrate my rears are 0db and fronts are at -12 to -14db

Yes I understand your meaning and no there is no way to change it. This is another ****** decision Pioneer has made with this receiver. Every other Pioneer I've owned has had the dB level for volume. My average volume setting is around the same as yours and the room I am in is around 10'x18'. You dont have a tivo by any chance do you?

I'm very sorry I sold my VSX-1019AH and bought this one. The only upside is now I can use the receiver for streaming music (which I can already do with my home theater PC 10x better than the receiver) , and have HDMI standby passthrough.

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZ1276  /t/1431029/the-official-pioneer-vsx-1022-k-owners-thread#post_22593552

My average volume setting is around the same as yours and the room I am in is around 10'x18'. You dont have a tivo by any chance do you?

Sorry no Tivo, do run Netflix from TV to reciever via optical, DD5.1

My room is about your size also.

For what I paid (more than you, canadian eh!) I am happy with this reciever, as you say though there are some quirks I wish I had been more aware of (pass-through etc).

But considering what's left of my hearing it all sounds pretty good to me!

#22 ·
I am looking for a budget receiver and seeing this at 250 a few places recently I am very tempted. I need 7.1 and the analog upconvert, and not a whole lot else (the internet features for example, so bad functionality there worries me not a wit).

One thing that worries me though is only being 80 watts per channel....it seems a little weak. I'm not driving anything special (the exact opposite for now actually, the old speaker set from my onkyo HTIB) but really wonder about that power. Are you guys happy with the power of your 1022?

I am very torn. This at 250 seems a good deal. I am very scared off of Onkyo due to all the HDMI issues. But I was looking at the RC360 at $300 too. And of course who knows what will be out there next week for sales. Decisions! I went into the research having fun as a project; now it is almost becoming a chore.

#23 ·
Well a lot depends on your room size and just how loud, loud is to you, lol. My room is about 11x14.

Personally I'm happy with it! I just have mine config. for 5.1, not 100% sure but I believe the 80 watts is at 7.1 and you get a bit more with less.

Now I generally like it louder than most. If alone I'd have a movie around 55-60, but with the GF I'd be 45-55. At 60 with half decent speakers and sub you can feel it. I have tiki mugs and am worried about them moving around. And it sounds good! The auto calibrate worked quite well, set up was easy. Has nice easy adjustments to most setting youd want. Had no trouble with 3D LG player and TV. Sure not having pass through is missing but it's one button press. There is this ARC input I believe, but don't use it and don't really know what it is, but think its auto rec control?? And for the price I'm happy.

#24 ·
Thanks Steve and that is a good point of course about loud being subjective but I am glad to hear it's got some shake-ability. I actually don't listen to much at "full blast" except movies. Even games I keep at a lower volume. But when I watch a movie with THX or whatever i want to be blasted.

Between the price and the brand NOT being an Onkyo (which i am scared off of right now) I am really leaning towards this one. My room is not overly large or wide but it is looooooooooong and the rears are probably further back than they should be which is why I was a little worried on power. And 80 watts just seemed low compared to others. But again, I am sure this could drive my nothing-special speakers.

I have people telling me to just get a better 5.1 receiver for the same money and forget 7.1. But dammit I have those speakers and when i did have 7.1 working, it was cool.

Now of course the real q is buy now or wait to see what pops up next week on sale.

#25 ·
Yes that was one of the deciding factors, even through I was only going to be 5.1 it's nice to have the option of 7.1. It being on sale also helped.

I also picked up a Rocket Fish wireless kit for the rears and it works great!

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenWheels  /t/1431029/the-official-pioneer-vsx-1022-k-owners-thread#post_22593986

I am looking for a budget receiver and seeing this at 250 a few places recently I am very tempted. I need 7.1 and the analog upconvert, and not a whole lot else (the internet features for example, so bad functionality there worries me not a wit).

One thing that worries me though is only being 80 watts per channel....it seems a little weak. I'm not driving anything special (the exact opposite for now actually, the old speaker set from my onkyo HTIB) but really wonder about that power. Are you guys happy with the power of your 1022?

I am very torn. This at 250 seems a good deal. I am very scared off of Onkyo due to all the HDMI issues. But I was looking at the RC360 at $300 too. And of course who knows what will be out there next week for sales. Decisions! I went into the research having fun as a project; now it is almost becoming a chore.

For the money this isn't a bad receiver. However, the stock UI is awful. So, if you have a smart phone or table be sure to use the Pioneer free app to control it. My receiver is an old Onkyo HT-R960 with may be 65 watts per channel, and I've got a 7.1 system. So, 80 watts isn't bad unless you are using some extreme speakers that need a lot of power.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.