In Need Of A New A/V Receiver... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-25-2012, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Many years back, after purchasing my house, I went and built a set of 5 speakers and a subwoofer by buying/building the soundboards, drivers, cabinets, etc. To make use of these really nice speakers I had to go and buy a receiver. I wound up getting an Onkyo TX-SR606. As can be expected, it is now starting to fail. HDMI4 is completely dead and will not pass any audio/video signals out to the TV. HDMI2-3 show intermittent "snow" on the screen, stoppage of audio/video signal for a moment, and random artifacts on the screen. It's not very constant, but it does randomly show up. Up until about three weeks ago, those HDMI inputs were fine but they suddenly started showing the problems more and more frequently. HDMI1 appears to be fine right now as I don't get the "snow" artifacts, screen tears, or audio/video freezing that I am seeing on my other inputs.

With what I've read, the Onkyo is exhibiting the classic signs of failure that this particular model is famous for. I just recently lost my job and am therefore tightening up my spending. I am getting a severance check from my ex-employer in a couple of weeks which will financially put me at ease for a while, but even then, I still need to ensure that whatever buy is something that I truly need and not buy things that I will never, or rarely, ever use. I was thinking of getting me some capacitors to try and fix my Onkyo myself as I really do like the receiver, but also need to look into purchasing a new receiver in case my non-existent soldering skills result in failure of my repair and complete loss of the Onkyo.

I figure I should post what equipment I have and what the dimensions of my room are:

Room Dimensions: ~12' Deep and 15' Wide. TV is on the center of the Wide section with my couch against the wall on the opposite side.

Television: 42" 1080p LCD TV from LG.

Speakers: Self built speakers using the Dayton Audio RS621BK Speaker kits. Key facts are that their frequency response is listed as 60 - 20,000 Hz, SPL is 88 dB 2.83V/1m, and their Impedance is 8 ohms. I don't recall the specifics of my subwoofer, but it too is self built and is a powered subwoofer. My roommate back then built it as part of a rent discount. It's an insanely good one and I can talk to my former roommate to get specifics about it if needed.

So if my Onkyo repair fails, I would like to get a receiver that would be good for this setup. I do not need multi-room ability or 6.1/7.1 capabilities. I just need something with multiple HDMI inputs that I can switch between, a good remote control, and an ability to function well with my speaker setup.

Perhaps the biggest thing is that it MUST be inexpensive. I cannot afford any more than $300 at the max, but I do want the ability to decode all of the codecs that my Onkyo can currently do. So what is the advice here? I am not concerned with "future-proof" as this room is not large enough for any more speakers. The 5.1 is perfect. I also use my PS3 for my blu-ray watching if that makes any difference.

Many thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-26-2012, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
If you're a Costco member, you should consider the Yamaha in this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1430943/yamaha-htr-4065-from-costco/0_50#post_22433366

For $300 it has a ton of features and your speakers seem to be within normal SPL levels so its power should be sufficient.

post #3 of 4 Old 09-26-2012, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I'm not a Costco member, but it's something I'll have to keep in mind if my soldering job fails. Just went and ordered the capacitors and whatnot and have an old soldering gun here in the house that I forgot I had. Doing some practicing on the soldering technique and while not perfect, I am getting better and better and getting that good "Hershey's Kiss" solder joint.
post #4 of 4 Old 09-28-2012, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I couldn't wait any longer. When watching my James Bond 50 blu-rays, I kept getting audio and video issues due to my dying Onkyo receiver so I decided it was time to get a new one. Now I know folks here will likely chastise me for buying an entry level receiver, but I am now unemployed and need to cut costs where possible. So I just wanted a receiver that had multiple HDMI inputs, could decode all of the modern audio codecs, and was easy to set up. Looking around, I saw two choices. The Denon AVR-1513, or the Denon AVR-1613. The difference in price, at checkout, was $150. I didn't need the extra features that the 1613 provided, so I went with the 1513 as it was cheaper. When I went to pick it up, I got an even better deal as Best Buy price matched a competitor and charged me $199 plus tax for it. This receiver is fantastic! It switches sources instantly unlike my old Onkyo which took a good five seconds to do that. While the output is only 75 watts per channel, my room is small enough that I do not notice a difference from the 110, or 120 I can't remember, watts per channel from the Onkyo. The video and audio is fantastic, and at this moment I'm watching "Goldfinger" and not getting ANY artifacts or audio/video issues. I'm in heaven.

I'll likely sell off my dying Onkyo with the caveat that it needs the capacitor replacements and get a good deal back from it. (I am hoping to get $100 for the Onkyo at most). It's just so nice being able to watch a movie or tv show and not have the video break up on me. I need to calibrate the system tomorrow as I'm a bit too intoxicated to do that right now, but I am a VERY happy person right now. biggrin.gif
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page