In the market for a new AVR - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-27-2012, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello! I'm relatively new to this forum, although I've been reading it for years. I'm also relatively new to the world of receivers (I've never owned one).

I'm in the market for a new AVR. The trouble I'm having is that there seems to be much more to consider than other components! Sure, I did my research for my TV (for example), but the choices seemed easier compared to AVRs.

In any case, I have in-ceiling speakers provided by my builder of my new home (Niles CM750 -- not sure if its the si, fx, ds, etc variant). I know these speakers aren't like the most awesome in the world (and I'm not going to replace them any time soon), but I'd like to still use them. I have a Polk Audio PSW111 subwoofer to complete the 5.1 set up (also builder provided, so probably borderline decent). I'm not going to live in this house forever, so I'd like to get an AVR that I can use in my next house (most likely with a more customized speaker/sub set up).

I know that the general advice is to get something that can accept your desired inputs and have the desired outputs and features. The issue is that I'd like to somewhat leave that fairly open and be somewhat future proof. I'm by no means an audiophile, but I do appreciate (there is a difference) good sound. Reliability and ease of use are important, although I'm the type of person that doesn't mind figuring things out on my own from time to time.

I've been looking at the Denon line 2113, 2313, 3313, Aventage xx20 line, as well as the Onkyo. Budget probably maxes out around $1000, so I know I can afford most of these units (3313 would be a stretch, but I could probably justify it if need be). Of course, I rather not spend at the top of my budget unless there is something really compelling.

To be honest, I guess the reason I'm stuck is that I'm not completely married to certain features, yet. I guess this is the classic problem of not knowing what I want..

Advice? smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-27-2012, 12:15 PM

Liked: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action925 View Post

The issue is that I'd like to somewhat leave that fairly open and be somewhat future proof. I'm by no means an audiophile, but I do appreciate (there is a difference) good sound.

---snip---

To be honest, I guess the reason I'm stuck is that I'm not completely married to certain features, yet. I guess this is the classic problem of not knowing what I want..
Advice? smile.gif

At this level, for all intents and purposes, AVR's are the same; amplifier section, inputs/outputs (I/O's), room analyzer, on screen GUI, a manual on a CD which usually can be downloaded in the form of a PDF and some DTS/Dolby Digital CODEC's. Pay the lady on the way out the door. With that in mind, I always recommend one go with what makes them all warm and fuzzy inside; emotional security based on familiarity.

I'm a Denon/Marantz fanboy and recently upgraded our unit to a Marantz, SR5007, delivered, $750.00. The unit is full featured. It has all the basic I/O's one can need, including a full set of pre-outs so one can, at their choosing, upgrade to an outboard Amp, The SR5007 comes with all the current crop of DTS and Dolby Digital CODEC's and has Audyssey, MultEQ XT room analyzer/correction capabilities.

After having the unit for a couple of months and running a few action sound tracks at reference levels, the only complaint comes from my wife; "It's too loud. Turn it down." biggrin.gif In regard to this AVR and how do I feel about the recent purchase, nothing on the market turns my head and makes me sigh; I'm a happy camper.

Last night we watched Comcast provided, "Battle; L.A." which has a great action sound track. Also I might add, it's an action movie I would recommend highly.

As to your question as to which unit should one buy? Refer back to my original comments; at this level, they're all the same and go with what you feel comfortable with. Onkyo has reported quality issues but that seems to be the only caveat that off hand I can think of. The Marantz was easy to set up, the GUI is intuitive and the room analyzer is user friendly. Lot's of nuance reading to get up to speed with Audyssey but overall, a positive learning experience. If one were to blindly choose the Marantz, SR5007, I'm confident they'd be very happy but again, always go with what makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside; issues of emotional security.

Hope the above helps give you ideas and answers to your question.

-
post #3 of 7 Old 10-04-2012, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

BeeMan,

Thank you for the detailed reply. I visited a Magnolia store to listen to the Denon 3313 vs Marantz SR6007 and they both were quite pleasing. The Marantz did sound more "natural" to me, or rather the Denon sounded more "colorful". The sound was coming out of MartinLogans, but without Audyssey set up on either.

Besides the sound quality differences, I'm wondering what are some bigger difference between these two units. Is one much easier to set up and use? Which one has better network connectivity, remote app, etc? How nice do each of these units play with other devices (media players, TVs, mobile devices, etc)?

Looking to narrow things down shortly...

Thanks again!
post #4 of 7 Old 10-04-2012, 10:24 PM

Liked: 804
Which ever unit you choose, I'm sure you'll be happy as Denon and Marantz are owned by the same company.

I can't speak for the 3313Ci as to setup but the SR5007 was a snap to set up and gets along well with everything I've hooked it up to. Other than that, that's why I post, go with what makes you all warm and fuzzy inside as in the end, it's all about how good you feel about the purchase.

I can suggest going to the Marantz site and the Denon site and do a close feature comparison and see which tickles your fancy the strongest and go with that unit. Check with AVS, the owner of this forum and call some of the online stores as you can get up to twenty percent off retail but yes, you're dealing with online return hassles should the need arise.

Good luck, what ever direction you choose to go.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-05-2012, 04:11 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 4419 Post(s)
Liked: 2374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action925 View Post

I've been looking at the Denon line 2113, 2313, 3313 ....

You can compare the various models in the first few posts of the Denon AVR-XX13 Owner's thread linked in my sig. Feel free to post any additional questions on these models in that thread, although general guidance is to select the model that best meets your feature/input/output requirements.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 5 times. 
post #6 of 7 Old 10-05-2012, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I've read nearly all 80 pages of the xx13 owner's thread... Definitely enlightening, especially the posts coming from many of the regular folks on the forum.

Has anyone had any luck "buying" a 3312 and getting upgraded to 3313 due to the former being "sold out?" I know people have been successful doing this with the 2312 to 2313 for example...

jdsmoothie: I'm actually vacationing right in Orlando as I type this out... Disney World! Tomorrow is our last day here though... It's been a great week, even with the random torrential downpours. smile.gif
post #7 of 7 Old 10-05-2012, 08:21 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 4419 Post(s)
Liked: 2374
Haven't heard of anyone getting a 3313CI upgrade, nevertheless, give Electronics Expo a "call" and see what their best price is on the unit. Get out to the park early to avoid the afternoon rains. smile.gif

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 5 times. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page