Receiver Upgrade : Pioneer SC61 vs Yamaha A820 vs Denon 3312 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 09-28-2012, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 10 yr old Home Theater Setup and would like to upgrade for the reasons explained below. Please suggest if I am going down the right path for the upgrades. Thanks

Receiver : Denon 1803 (80W)
5 Speakers : Infinity Alpha 40 , 37C center & 20 for surrounds
Subwoofer : Velodyne SPL10
Blu-ray player : PS3
Projector : Sony VPL-HS 51 720P

Room - 3000 cuft

Usage : Movies - 95% , Music - 5%

Issues / need for upgrade
#1 Lack of latest Audio decodes in the Receiver
#2 Need a bigger soundstage at reasonable volume - Denon does a good job at higher volumes but we watch movies at night when the daughter is asleep so can't be too loud...I hope new calibrations schemes help
#3 When we play loud (during daytime), I feel fatigued after a while .... the sound is clean not strained.. maybe the speaker is the issue ?
#4 We raise the Center channel gain to be able to still listen to dialogues at low volumes but that doesn't feel the same affect.
#5 Wife would like Airplay smile.gif , if not I would have picked up A810 for a steal.

Upgrade Budget : $1000/- with taxes smile.gif

Based on Whathifi reviews.. I was gravitated towards the Pioneer & Yamaha.

We auditioned Yamaha A820 & Pioneer SC61 @ Magnolia inside BB. We loved the Yamaha's soundstage and it did not seem fatiguing at high volumes.Yamaha did not sound as crisp, was a little mellow compared to the Pioneer., which we did not mind.
Pioneer did seem little bright and I am afraid the Inifinity will not match well with the Pioneer and I would end up with a similar issue at higher volumes as my Denon.
Caution: the receivers were not calibrated or no further calibration was done by me.

The reason to include Denon in the mix is due to all the greatness I heard about Audyssey MultiEQ XT and it sounds exactly like what I need in my setup. Are the YPAO or MCACC as good ? after reading for many hours on the web..no clear answer .. so I will have to try it at home.

I chose Denon 3312 as it's on closeout sale for $700 and has Airplay.
We couldn't audition the Denon 3312 as it wasn't working that day, we would go back in a week or so (1 hr drive) to listen to 3312 and pick one to audition at home.

Any help for people in know about these receivers pls chime in and help me make this upgrade is greatly appreciated. I would like to minimize the number of trips to the store ..also I hate returning stuff to the stores..wud like to make the right choice if possible.

Also, related to closeouts.. I was looking at Pioneer SC55 but it costs more than SC65 ...any clue why ?

The speakers might be my weakest link but that needs a bigger budget..so will have to wait for couple more years. Also looking at a HSU VTF3 sub and move my SPL10 upstairs for music.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page