Question about improved video through a receiver or not - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-28-2012, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently replaced my Panasonic 42" 720P television with the new 1080P 55" Panasonic TC-P55VT50. I also purchased the TiVo Premiere XL4 DVR. My Verizon FIOS is connected to the TiVo. I also have a Sony Networked Blu-Ray player. It's all connected to an older Onkyo TX-SR803. The video from both the TiVo and Blu-Ray player is connected to the receiver through HDMI cables. The receiver then outputs the signal to the TV from one HDMI out connection. When setting up the TiVo, it gave me the message that the receiver did not support 1080P 24fps, which the TV does, so it switched it to 1080i. I also run digital optical cables to the receiver from both the TiVo and the Blu-Ray player.

My question is this: Should I replace the Onkyo with a newer model (NR818?) and continue to run both audio and video through the receiver or am I just as well off running the HDMI cables from the sources directly to the tv and keeping the audio running through the optical cables connected to the receiver? Does a receiver make that much of a difference in the video or is it just for switching convenience? I assume the audio will be the same either through the optical cables or the HDMI cables.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Scoe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-28-2012, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 101
AVR manufacturers are all going to pass through video so that should tell you something. The best video processing is done in the display IMO. As long as the source is sending the same resolution as the native resolution on the display no processing is necessary. As long as you don't mind the lossy audio from your 803 (assuming you don't use the analog inputs from the BRP) then there is little to be gained IMO. The difference between lossy (coax or optical) audio and lossless is minuscule - most people can't tell one from the other. There are audible differences IF you know what to listen for on a particular track. Critical listening during a movie? I'd rather watch and enjoy the movie.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #3 of 6 Old 09-29-2012, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply. That's kind of what I've been thinking is to just keep the HDMI going straight to the tv and run the audio through the receiver. But, one question, you referred to my optical audio connections as lossy. Does that mean the HDMI audio is lossless and that would be an argument, although not major, to run everything through the receiver?

Thanks again for your help.

Scoe
post #4 of 6 Old 09-29-2012, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djscoe View Post

But, one question, you referred to my optical audio connections as lossy. Does that mean the HDMI audio is lossless and that would be an argument, although not major, to run everything through the receiver?

Optical audio doesn't support streaming TrueHD/DTS-HD (even if your blu-ray decodes the tracks first). You would need to run analog cables from your blu-ray player in order to play those tracks as using optical you would be playing the lossy DTS/DD tracks.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-29-2012, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you. Now the decision is whether or not to spend the additional $1000 to get the new receiver. eek.gif

Scoe
post #6 of 6 Old 09-29-2012, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djscoe View Post

Thank you for your reply. That's kind of what I've been thinking is to just keep the HDMI going straight to the tv and run the audio through the receiver. But, one question, you referred to my optical audio connections as lossy. Does that mean the HDMI audio is lossless and that would be an argument, although not major, to run everything through the receiver?

Optical/coax is lossy audio (DD & DTS) - and as I mentioned above - it is very good audio. There are two ways to get lossless audio (called high definition audio) - one is by connecting the 5.1/7.1 analog outs from your bluray player (if it has them) to the analog inputs on your current AVR if it has them. The other is to buy an AVR with HDMI - almost all current AVRs decode the latest HD audio signals these days. The best argument for HDMI is the 'single cable' connection theory. One to the AVR for each source (cable satellite DVD etc) to the AVR and a single HDMI cable to the display. I call it 'theory' because there will usually be a few extra cables. I think a better argument can be made for a new AVR with the room correction they carry. The Onkyo 818 you are considering has Audyssey MultEQ XT32 - top of the line Audyssey. Thats a difference you'll notice.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page