I have two ceiling speakers connected to a Pioneer VSX-816 receiver. When watching movies, one of the speakers is cut off out of the blue. Here's what I could notice:
- it happens 1 or 2 times per movie
- it only happens when the audio in the movie is very low
- it happens randomly to either speaker
- the speaker comes back if I turn the volume louder
- other times the speaker comes back after I power off/on the receiver
- I switched the speakers to the second zone of the receiver and the problem is the same
- the first time I connected the speakers, I had to turn up the volume in order to "activate" the speakers. They were fine after turning the volume back down.
What could it be? It seems weird.
The receiver is probably defective, but what makes it behave like this?