Speaker cut off at low volumes - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-28-2012, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have two ceiling speakers connected to a Pioneer VSX-816 receiver. When watching movies, one of the speakers is cut off out of the blue. Here's what I could notice:
- it happens 1 or 2 times per movie
- it only happens when the audio in the movie is very low
- it happens randomly to either speaker
- the speaker comes back if I turn the volume louder
- other times the speaker comes back after I power off/on the receiver
- I switched the speakers to the second zone of the receiver and the problem is the same
- the first time I connected the speakers, I had to turn up the volume in order to "activate" the speakers. They were fine after turning the volume back down.

What could it be? It seems weird.

The receiver is probably defective, but what makes it behave like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2012, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 723
Hook up another pair of speakers and see if it does the same thing.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

After some more experimentation, I could hear the fan starting and stopping repeatedly when one of the speakers is cut off. So could it be that the fan is defective? I'll try to buy a similar one and see if that fixes the problem.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:01 PM

What ohm are the speakers? How new is the amp?
Old 09-28-2012, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcalmac View Post

After some more experimentation, I could hear the fan starting and stopping repeatedly when one of the speakers is cut off. So could it be that the fan is defective? I'll try to buy a similar one and see if that fixes the problem.

Could be that you're driving the avr into protective mode. Like the other guy asks, what's the impedance rating on your ceiling speakers? If they're 4ohm they may be too much for the avr. Why ceiling speakers anyways?

Old 09-28-2012, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

The amp is about 6 years old.

Why ceiling speakers? This is the bedroom, and the speakers were already installed in the house. I don't know what brand or impedance the speakers are. They don't look special so I guess they should be 8-ohm. I'll ask the prev owner though.

I have a newer Pioneer receiver that drives just fine the ceiling speakers from the family room.

For now, the old amp goes to the dump. I'll get a NuForce Dia mini amp and connect all the devices through the TV (which has a optical audio out).
Old 09-28-2012, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The amp is about 6 years old.

Why ceiling speakers? This is the bedroom, and the speakers were already installed in the house. I don't know what brand or impedance the speakers are. They don't look special so I guess they should be 8-ohm. I'll ask the prev owner though.

I have a newer Pioneer receiver that drives just fine the ceiling speakers from the family room.

For now, the old amp goes to the dump. I'll get a NuForce Dia mini amp and connect all the devices through the TV (which has a optical audio out).

So this is some sort of whole home speaker setup? That could be part of it, but I'd still swap avr's around for the same connections before assuming your old avr is toast (altho it well may be).

Old 09-28-2012, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

No, it's not a whole home setup. The family room and master bedroom are wired with ceiling speakers. The speakers are accessible in their respective rooms.

I lost my patience and the receiver is already in the garbage. I just didn't want to bother assembling it back after pulling out the fan and not finding a matching one at Fry's. We'll know when I connect the new mini amp. It would be quite embarrassing to still have the issue :-)
Old 09-28-2012, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, it's not a whole home setup. The family room and master bedroom are wired with ceiling speakers. The speakers are accessible in their respective rooms.

I lost my patience and the receiver is already in the garbage. I just didn't want to bother assembling it back after pulling out the fan and not finding a matching one at Fry's. We'll know when I connect the new mini amp. It would be quite embarrassing to still have the issue :-)

I just took it literally that you tried the avr in the other room and the speakers worked with that...now I see what you were trying to say. Yep, you'll find out...hope you flipped that coin right !

Old 10-13-2012, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

I just want to confirm that everything's fine after replacing the amp. It was interesting how just one of the speakers would be cut off. This made it less obvious that it's an amp problem.

User Tag List