Possible DIY fix for Onkyo tx-nr3007 loss of audio audio problem, without sending the unit to Onkyo - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 48 Old 09-29-2012, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Folks-

I recently obtained a TX-NR3007 that i believe was having the same common loss of sound issue most folks are discussing on this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1192172/the-onkyo-tx-nr3007-tx-nr5007-common-questions-issues-hints-answers-thread

Summary:
The receiver was exhibiting what i believe was this common problem. It was no longer under warrantee. I reflowed the two BGA chips on the hdmi board, and it now appears to be working.

Symptoms:
Lack of audio
Communication issues requesting firmware version from DSP controllers
Communication issues with using ethernet port
Communication issues with using USB port

Fix:
Reflow of BGA Chips

Assurance it doesn't happen again:
Insure proper cooling to unit (plenty of clearance around cooling intakes and outlets)
Possibly heatsink the two chips

Followup:
Interested in results from others willing to/interested in doing this.
Interested in folks willing to donate their broken receiver for me to diagnose/try to fix (I would pay shipping)
More details as they become available at http://www.c-j-l.net/Home/audio/onkyo_tx-nr3007

The Full Story:
The initial symptoms for this amplifier reported by the old owner was a lack of audio.
Upon further investigation I found that it could not communicate properly with the DSP units or ethernet; When requesting to see firmware version, it would only display '??????-?????' or similar (all question marks) for DSP1/ETH, DSP2, and DSP3. (To do this, with unit on press and hold display, press the standby button, and immediately use the < or > arrows next to the display button) This indicated to me that there is a communication issue on-board.
Futher troubleshooting showed that it would not pick up an IP address via network (under hardware setup, network did not even exit), and when a USB memory stick was inserted and source changed to USB, the stick was never queried (LED on stick never lit).

I decided this really seemed to be a communication issue.

Looking at the internals of the unit, the HDMI board which most service centers replace as a fix for the problem is the digital mainboard containing what seems to be most of the processing units. This would explain the 600+ dollar cost that has been reported if not under warrantee, i believe.

Two of the chips on the board were in BGA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_grid_array) form factor- which with poor cooling has been noted to cause problems in northbridge and video chipsets in laptops as well as the famous red halo of death in xbox 360s.

Using some suggestions and timing from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR8L3B3eDr0 , I re-flowed the two chips on the board that were BGA.

The amplifier appears to be working properly now (can play music from USB, check for firmware upgrades on the network, i can see the firmware versions of all chips, etc), although i haven't done thorough diagnostics on it. I am waiting to get the remote from the original owner.

I will post more information and pictures as i have a chance to update them here:
http://www.c-j-l.net/Home/audio/onkyo_tx-nr3007

If your amplifier is exhibiting these types of symptoms and you'd like to donate it for me to try to fix and report results, i'd be happy to pay shipping slow-boat to where i live in Oregon. Please PM me.

[Edit/Addendum]
I re-flowed a second board and was a bit too hot on it. Melted the front HDMI cable input and the power inputs. If using the heat gun method, keep an eye on these plastics. Board still worked, which was good- but could not use front HDMI input.

If you don't have a heat gun, or want a way that is more regulated, you could try the method described here by oscarav098 in an oven:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1192172/the-onkyo-tx-nr3007-tx-nr5007-common-questions-issues-hints-answers-thread/4620#post_22813395

(synopsis:
Procedure:
- Cover HDMI board with aluminum foil with the exception of the BGA chips. There are a total of two BGA chips on the HDMI board for the 3008 receiver. You can identify these chips by the lack of visible pins.
- Warm up oven to 300 degrees F and place hdmi board on cookie sheet and insert in oven. Bake at this temp for 2-3 min.
- Raise temp to 385 and bake at this temp for 8-9 min.
- Turn oven off and open door. Let board sit for 30 min. Do not touch.
- Remove from oven. Remove foil and re install.
- Enjoy you newly working receiver. )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 09-29-2012, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 101
If I had one that were doing that I think I'd buy an HDMI board and install it. They can be bought for under $100.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #3 of 48 Old 09-29-2012, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

Is that a used or new price?
You're not wrong there; That makes the most sense if you don't want to spend time on this or find out if this is the issue.
However- if the problem is systemic, how long will it be before the new (or used) board fails?
That said; if someone goes ahead and replaces the hdmi board, i'd be happy to pay for shipping to me of the faulty board to try this fix as well. smile.gif

take care
post #4 of 48 Old 10-01-2012, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Since you've got a 3007 the question is your's to answer - is it worth plowing $100 into this unit to fix it? My answer (to me) was yes - it'd be worth it to me to spend the $100 to get it working. And I'd stick a nice sized fan on it to keep the HDMI board from frying again. That is the problem with the Onkyo HDMI boards - heat. And Onkyo knew this and cheaped out - deciding instead to take the hit on warranty work rather than spend a few bucks on proper heat sinks and a fan to carry the heat away. I just got my Integra processor back from getting the HDMI board replaced - along with the am/fm radio board - under warranty. If it weren't under warranty I'd put $100 into it to get it fixed - then sell it.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #5 of 48 Old 10-04-2012, 07:00 PM

Knock on wood...my 3007 isn't exhibiting any audio issues yet.....but good write up to a possible fix.
post #6 of 48 Old 01-16-2013, 06:30 PM

Liked: 12
hi you all onkyo usersI found this on the wed about the HDMI Sound LOSS OF AUDIO as I also have a onkyo tx nr 3007 too
but mine is working fine for now.. Add_Mini_board_TXNR3007_5007_3008_5008_5507_5508_DTR70.1_70.2_80.pdf 445k .pdf file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Add_Mini_board_TXNR3007_5007_3008_5008_5507_5508_DTR70.1_70.2_80.pdf (445.1 KB, 740 views)
epsilon and mesasone like this.
post #7 of 48 Old 01-17-2013, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by garybvh3100 View Post

hi you all onkyo usersI found this on the wed about the HDMI Sound LOSS OF AUDIO as I also have a onkyo tx nr 3007 too
but mine is working fine for now.. Add_Mini_board_TXNR3007_5007_3008_5008_5507_5508_DTR70.1_70.2_80.pdf 445k .pdf file

Nice find..I'll be sure to print this and have it with me just in case.

My 3008 failed (no audio) and have to bring it in..it's still under warranty.

Thanks for posting this !

See My AVS Classified Ad .
post #8 of 48 Old 01-17-2013, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Thanks for posting this thenextdon.

I appreciate all the time and effort you put into this post to help other's..good thing !

Could come in handy for DIY down the road when warranty is no longer good.

I Bookmarked this thread..never know when u might need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenextdon13 View Post

Folks-

I recently obtained a TX-NR3007 that i believe was having the same common loss of sound issue most folks are discussing on this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1192172/the-onkyo-tx-nr3007-tx-nr5007-common-questions-issues-hints-answers-thread

Summary:
The receiver was exhibiting what i believe was this common problem. It was no longer under warrantee. I reflowed the two BGA chips on the hdmi board, and it now appears to be working.

Symptoms:
Lack of audio
Communication issues requesting firmware version from DSP controllers
Communication issues with using ethernet port
Communication issues with using USB port

Fix:
Reflow of BGA Chips

Assurance it doesn't happen again:
Insure proper cooling to unit (plenty of clearance around cooling intakes and outlets)
Possibly heatsink the two chips

Followup:
Interested in results from others willing to/interested in doing this.
Interested in folks willing to donate their broken receiver for me to diagnose/try to fix (I would pay shipping)
More details as they become available at http://www.c-j-l.net/Home/audio/onkyo_tx-nr3007

The Full Story:
The initial symptoms for this amplifier reported by the old owner was a lack of audio.
Upon further investigation I found that it could not communicate properly with the DSP units or ethernet; When requesting to see firmware version, it would only display '??????-?????' or similar (all question marks) for DSP1/ETH, DSP2, and DSP3. (To do this, with unit on press and hold display, press the standby button, and immediately use the < or > arrows next to the display button) This indicated to me that there is a communication issue on-board.
Futher troubleshooting showed that it would not pick up an IP address via network (under hardware setup, network did not even exit), and when a USB memory stick was inserted and source changed to USB, the stick was never queried (LED on stick never lit).

I decided this really seemed to be a communication issue.

Looking at the internals of the unit, the HDMI board which most service centers replace as a fix for the problem is the digital mainboard containing what seems to be most of the processing units. This would explain the 600+ dollar cost that has been reported if not under warrantee, i believe.

Two of the chips on the board were in BGA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_grid_array) form factor- which with poor cooling has been noted to cause problems in northbridge and video chipsets in laptops as well as the famous red halo of death in xbox 360s.

Using some suggestions and timing from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR8L3B3eDr0 , I re-flowed the two chips on the board that were BGA.

The amplifier appears to be working properly now (can play music from USB, check for firmware upgrades on the network, i can see the firmware versions of all chips, etc), although i haven't done thorough diagnostics on it. I am waiting to get the remote from the original owner.

I will post more information and pictures as i have a chance to update them here:
http://www.c-j-l.net/Home/audio/onkyo_tx-nr3007

If your amplifier is exhibiting these types of symptoms and you'd like to donate it for me to try to fix and report results, i'd be happy to pay shipping slow-boat to where i live in Oregon. Please PM me.

See My AVS Classified Ad .
post #9 of 48 Old 01-22-2013, 03:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by garybvh3100 View Post

Great find! Thanks! DL'ed.

Max
post #10 of 48 Old 01-25-2013, 03:59 PM

Am currently having issues with my tx nr3007 similar to what's previously been discussed. Says "now initializing" constantly when attempting to use net/usb function. Firmware update and remote options are gray and can't be accessed. Audio loss however is intermittant at this time. Is there any way to reload via tftp or use bootloader to reset software? I've been told by onkyo it's a software issue. Are these the the conditions you repaired by reflowing the bga chips and is it still working?
post #11 of 48 Old 01-26-2013, 01:41 AM

same problem for me... since a few days... very disappointed by the quality of Onkyo
post #12 of 48 Old 01-26-2013, 07:14 AM

I think im having the same issue on my 3008. When i first turn my unit on everything powers up like normal but no sound there is picture and everything else is good all the speakers show up on the display and the PL2 Movie DSX like its supposed to but no sound then i click it off and back on after 5 mins of being on and it works? IS that the same isse others are having?

If so where do you find the hdmi boards to by im having the same issues on my 3008? and someone can have my old board since it still somewhat works.

Thanks in advance
Leighton
post #13 of 48 Old 01-26-2013, 09:56 PM

Soooooo... Since my 3008 now has no sound and I have 2 weeks left on my warranty, once it's fixed and I sell it what should I buy? Is this problem fixed in the 3010? I hate to give Onkyo my money after my current pos from them, but I did like it.
post #14 of 48 Old 02-08-2013, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

@leighton
There is a guy on ebay selling the reflow service, i blieve, including the addition of the lower voltage regulator.

Do a search for tx-nr3007 on ebay

Not sure about source purchasing a new or used board.

If you find out a way around, i'd love to have your old hdmi board smile.gif

@mechris
No Idea, although the note in the repair guide listed in this thread says all boards manufactured post september 2012 have the fixed voltage regulator...

hth
post #15 of 48 Old 02-15-2013, 02:25 PM

Tried oven and heat gun reflow methods and audio loss problem is gone so far. Have'nt heard obsessive relay clicking since either. Still don't have remote, netwok, and firmware menu options (their grayed out) both procedures are simple and relatively safe (if you don't over do the heat gun like me and pop capacitors). Would recommend this for anyone out of warranty. Atleast the audio is back.
post #16 of 48 Old 02-16-2013, 12:06 AM

You could always trade it in towards a newer refurb if all else fails:D

I'd rather give you $10 than 10 minutes. I can always earn $10, where do I go to earn 10 minutes.
post #17 of 48 Old 02-16-2013, 06:20 PM

Don't think I'm going to fall for the banana in the tailpipe trick again. Guess that's what I get for thinking because it costst so much it must be a good receiver. I'll probably go back my 90's receiver when the audio goes for good.
post #18 of 48 Old 02-20-2013, 07:13 AM

My Onkyo NR-3007 has the same problem with the HDMI audio loss. I realized that I have 5 days left on the warranty and took it into Best Buy for repairs. It did last for almost 2 years. Will this happen again?
post #19 of 48 Old 03-01-2013, 11:14 AM

Guys please help me out
I have a TX-NR5007 with the same symptoms
Last weekend I was decided to do a re-flux like thenextdon13 indicates but when I tried to remove the HDMI board I had some issues with the 3-4 white plugs connected to it, how do you remove those?
Thanks in advance
post #20 of 48 Old 10-05-2013, 09:40 AM

Thank you very much!

Just saved my HDMI board with the oven method and now it's working perfectly again. Cutting the black cable to get the board out was a minor annoyance but I'd say this is such an easy, fast and especially cheap trick on fixing the receiver that I strongly support trying it out if you're experiencing the same problems. I have to admit I was a bit afraid of putting the board in the oven but my worries turned out to be unnecessary as everything went so well. Hope I don't have to do it again since I didn't install any extra cooler for now...

post #21 of 48 Old 10-06-2013, 01:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackoth View Post

Thank you very much!

Just saved my HDMI board with the oven method and now it's working perfectly again. Cutting the black cable to get the board out was a minor annoyance but I'd say this is such an easy, fast and especially cheap trick on fixing the receiver that I strongly support trying it out if you're experiencing the same problems. I have to admit I was a bit afraid of putting the board in the oven but my worries turned out to be unnecessary as everything went so well. Hope I don't have to do it again since I didn't install any extra cooler for now...
Baking the board is a temporary solution. It WILL fail again within a few weeks to 3-4 months.

Max
post #22 of 48 Old 10-06-2013, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

@Max

Mine has not failed again, and it has been a long time - but I also am not a heavy user.

What is the permanent solution? The additional small board attached to fix voltages?

Do you know where these can be obtained?
Thanks!
post #23 of 48 Old 10-06-2013, 11:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenextdon13 View Post

@Max

Mine has not failed again, and it has been a long time - but I also am not a heavy user.

What is the permanent solution? The additional small board attached to fix voltages?

Do you know where these can be obtained?
Thanks!
The only way to get the additional board AFAIK, is from the service.

Max
post #24 of 48 Old 10-17-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbluemax1 View Post

The only way to get the additional board AFAIK, is from the service.

Max

Davelectronics on Ebay will mod the board with the add-on.
post #25 of 48 Old 10-27-2013, 04:06 PM

Baking the board is a temporary solution. It WILL fail again within a few weeks to 3-4 months.

I just baked my 5008, sound came on again. The guy on ebay did the add on board, that lasted about 2 months and board failed again. Hope the bake lasts for a while, it does work. The HDMI boards seem to be plagued with problems, fix one then another one pops up.

post #26 of 48 Old 02-23-2014, 10:10 AM

Thanks for this very good procedure !

I apply the one with the oven and all is going well now.

I have done it yesterday evening and till now no failure.

A french member. Hervé

post #27 of 48 Old 02-27-2014, 01:29 PM

Hi!

I have TX-NR509 3 years old. Using same procedure described above and works perfectly so far.

After removing HDMI board I wrapped it in old t-shirt and after that aluminium folio. Made only one whole for BGA chip closest to LAN port.

Big thanks to thenextdon13!!!

post #28 of 48 Old 04-04-2014, 02:17 PM

Liked: 16

I have a 3007 with the same audio loss problems described in this thread (intermittent and then permanent sound loss, unable to update firmware, etc.) I'm not very tech'y and so won't even go there with baking the board, etc. I took the receiver to Home Depot for a repair estimate, and they say that it needs a new board, and cost of the board plus labor will be $1,000 including tax, etc. I've seen refurbished 3007's for sale online for under $900. Do you think it's worth repairing, or should I not throw good money after bad and just invest in a brand new receiver? My previous receiver was a Denon, and it lasted a long time without a hitch (switched to the Onkyo because the old Denon didn't have HDMI, etc.) I'm considering walking away from the Onkyo and buying a new Denon. Your thoughts?

post #29 of 48 Old 04-04-2014, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Email the "point man" at Onkyo / Integra in charge of responding to owners having problems with HDMI board failures and he will do anything possible to help you out, based on my experience with my Integra DHC-80.2 A/V processor bought refurbished 2 1/2 years ago, out of warranty and with the receipt no longer available; Jose arranged to have my unit repaired at the closest authorized Onkyo repair station at no cost to me including return shipping, which i consider exceptional conduct from a representative of any consumer electronic company.
Jose Torres email address is jose.torres@us.onkyo.com.
post #30 of 48 Old 04-04-2014, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaugusto View Post

Email the "point man" at Onkyo / Integra in charge of responding to owners having problems with HDMI board failures and he will do anything possible to help you out, based on my experience with my Integra DHC-80.2 A/V processor bought refurbished 2 1/2 years ago, out of warranty and with the receipt no longer available; Jose arranged to have my unit repaired at the closest authorized Onkyo repair station at no cost to me including return shipping, which i consider exceptional conduct from a representative of any consumer electronic company.
Jose Torres email address is jose.torres@us.onkyo.com.

I have to agree with this. My Onkyo 5007 died out of warranty, which was moot anyway, since I imported the unit into Canada, where the warranty was not valid on a US bought receiver. Jose looked after me, and even found the nearest authorised repair shop a couple of miles away from my home. A few weeks later, the 55 lb doorstop became a functional receiver that I promptly sold for $700.

===========

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr3007 140 Watts 9 2 Channel Av Surround Home Network Receiver Black
Gear in this thread - Nr3007 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page