pioneer vsx 821 & subwoofer - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-30-2012, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello I am going to tell a story and I want input to what you think could be causing my problems.

Upstairs I had a panasonic 5.1 receiver 5 speakers and a velodyne subwoofer. I had the subwoofer hooked up using the subwoofers speaker level inputs.

I had this configuration for almost 10 years with zero problems before I wanted hdmi inputs and purchased a pioneer vsx 821 receiver.

Upon setting up the pioneer I kept the speaker level inputs.

After about an hour or hour and a half the receiver would shut itself off. No error messages but the time was always between 60 to 90 minutes.

I decided that the speaker wiring was old so I replaced all speaker wires(14 G) and used the moster cable quick lock for the speaker ends.I also decided to go to a Line level input and got a subwoofer cable from Bluejeans. While I was back there I noticed that the Velodyne's passive radiator was falling off and I decided to replace it with a new Velodyne subwoofer.

I hooked it up ran the macc and I thought all was well.

For about 2 months there were no problems until one day my wife said that she could not feel any low end. Sure enough the subwoofer's light was red. I checked all the connections then decided to re-read the manual. Seems that during the automatic calibration if it deems your speakers Large no signal is sent to the subwoofer. They must think we all have Nestorovic speakers. I then went in and changed the front speakers to small from large. The cross over is set at 80. Now the subwoofer worked and I thought the problem was solved.

Later that day my wife said the receiver was again shutting down after about an hour. Again no error message just shuts down. I took her new velodyne subwoofer and brought it down stairs and hooked it up to my system. I played it for 3 hours with no problem.

One other thing the subwoofer is plugged into a receptacle by itself. Nothing else is plugged into it except the surge protector. (Tripp lite).

The more I think about it it seems to me that the panasonic had no problems for almost 10 years but the pioneer does and I keep coming back that the problem is more likely than not in the pioneers cross over module.

If I take the subwoofer out of the loop( set front speakers to Large) I can play sound for hours on end with no problem. Put the subwoofer in and within 60 to 90 mins shutdown with no error message.

Well that's it before i purchase another receiver I thought I would tell my tale and see if I have missed anything. BTW the pioneer's warranty is only 1 year and it is just outside of that.

If you are wondering why so long to figure out that the subwoofer was not working. The upstairs setup is used by my wife almost exclusively. My system of separates is downstairs.

One last thing all the speakers are the same nothing has changed. All are 8 ohms nominal. The B&w says that 4.5 ohms is the minumum for the Matrix 3 speakers

Thanks
abm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-30-2012, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Having the subwoofer plugged into a separate circuit may be the problem. There may be a grounding issue there.

Try plugging the subwoofer and receiver into the same circuit and see what happens. Do not use the surge protector either; set it aside for the test. I assume that you have a grounded 20-ampere circuit.

Also, I would suggest that you use the line-level inputs on the subwoofer, not the speaker-level inputs. There can also be a grounding issue there.

You will also get better performance if you set your main speakers to large and use the subwoofer's own rolloff control to limit its output so that it only operates below 60 Hz. You do not want it operating at higher frequencies.
post #3 of 3 Old 10-01-2012, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I tried plugging the sub and the receiver into the same outlet and it did not stop the problem.

I am using line level inputs

Again if set speakers to large the pioneer will not send any signal to the sub they assume you have full range speakers.

It seems to me if my panasonic had no problems and the pioneer does with the sub woofer in and has no problems with the sub out of the mix I still think that it is the cross over unit in the pioneer. However before I purchase another receiver I want to make sure that I have not missed anything.

I use 80 Hz It is a better fit for my speakers.

thanks
abm
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page