Originally Posted by thrang
By gain changes here you mean the 8801 trims would
While on this point in general, the two channel XLR inputs on the 8801 do however have A-D conversion if desired, as I'm able to apply Audyssey to playback from my DAC which is connected this fashion...
It does appear that the XLR's can be digitized for processing.
Since this is not explicitly stated, I am not sure it is safe to conclude that Pure Direct bypasses the A to D.
Perhaps this explains the change in sound with 7.1 between Pure Direct ON/OFF. With Pure Direct OFF (standard 7.1), it could be that the TRIMS are applied.
@Rich, can you clarify if my understanding of your issues is correct?:
1) Video Conversion on/off is affecting sound quality of Pure Direct mode via 7.1 analog inputs, but NOT any other input (also in Pure Direct)?
2) 7.1 analog input sounds brighter to you compared to HDMI or other inputs (with Audyssey disengaged? Direct or Pure Direct sound mode for all?)
1) I find it easiest to detect with Pure Direct mod via the 7.1 analog inputs. However, I can also hear a change watching DD via the TiVo HDMI.
I am not saying this is a big deal. However, it exists. To those out there that are not completely happy with the sound quality, this is something to try.
2) With my first 8801, the 7.1 sounded brighter so me in Pure Direct than directly connecting my Oppo BDP-105 to the amp.
I chose this one example because it should sound virtually the same.
However, I am not sure this issue exists, on the replacement unit.
For the heck of it, I connected the 8801 unbalanced to my AMP and listened to music, watched some movies including Skyfall and it sounded fantastic.
I am very happy with the sound.
I am not ruling out the XLR's. After you change the settings there is a solenoid click that when you edit the process.
Perhaps there is something going on here beside guidance.
3) Usability Issues: I posted some a while back where I think a firmware update could improve the usability of the product.
Is there a place where these could be collected?