post #3151 of 11873 Old 02-21-2013, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

I like fast deep bass articulation that is accurate , hence the bass traps I have in my room and the choice of a Ken Kreisel DXD12012 biggrin.gif While I'm sure 80hz would do fine in a majority of setups with 2 or more subs. but I have one sub and nulls ( the wrench in every ones bass) are better smoothed out allowing my mains to run full range, my bass is fast deep, tight and well integrate with no image smearing and non localizable biggrin.gif

I am on the same page.I Just listened to Mancini's greatest hits (A Telarc recording) "Drummers Delight".
Telarc MIC's it and records and that's about it so the drums are directional and I can tell which speaker they are coming from.
Some of those notes are below 80 HZ.

When shopping for speakers in the 10 to 20K range, I could not believe how many models could barely go to 40 HZ.
So I chose the Revels since they go into the 20's with authority.
There is no way in hell I am going to cross these speakers at 80hz.
My Salons point straight ahead in a 35 foot room. Then there is a 5 foot door to a 16 foot room.
The bass sounds great.
My sub has a less than optimal placement. The cannot be changed.
I do think that blanket statements about user setup apply.

My kids are a bit older now, but when they were little, I had to turn the sub off during the evenings.
Sure there is organ music but for just about anything else, I find the fast deep accurate bass from the Revels to be pleasing and natural.
Even in movies, I can shake my house with my 15 inch Velodyne. It is on but it is just no that important to me.
I want to hear every bit of the bass guitar string, the attack, the squeek, the decay.
It has plenty of authority and fits properly into the song.

It is interesting. I love detail and imaging.
Pure Drect with my video processor off (game mode too) make my system in my room sound as close to headphones as I have every heard them.
I love the AV8801 set this way.
If I turn on processing even crossovers I can hear the reduction in detail and a reduced sound stage.

I have tried Audyssey a dozen times and it sounds good, but music sounds better with Pure Direct from the BDP-105 7.1 outs.
Movies sound very good without Audyssey as well.

It ain't broke so I am not fixing it smile.gif

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3152 of 11873 Old 02-21-2013, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill222 View Post

I'm still stuck on page 140 of the manual for the 8801.

Here's the relevant part I think:
See? Even when a speaker is "large", if "LFE+Main" is selected for the sub, then I still have cross-over settings available for each speaker (well, for each "pair" of speakers). Right?

You said "Once you set a channel to LARGE, there is no crossover in effect for that channel." But - based on page 140 in the manual - I'm not convinced that is true. What is the point of the Marantz letting me set the cross-over for "large" speakers if the Marantz isn't doing anything with those cross-overs? With speakers set to Large and sub to LFE+Main, what effect are these cross-over settings having? As near as I can tell, it's the exact same thing as cross-over settings for a "small" speaker. But that's where I'm guessing. That's why I'm asking - what's the difference between these cross-over settings for "large" speakers vs every other cross-over setting?

Yes bill, now I see what you're saying - I had not looked at it with the 8801 and was thinking of past processors. I took down my post to reduce confusion.

I guess someone needs to call marantz to be sure. Maybe this means the speaker is in fact large (full range), and the crossover setting lets you tailor at what frequeny you begin "doubling" the bass. So large mains always get full range signal, and the crossover of 40, 60, 80 etc dictates at which frequeny the signal is also routed to the subs...
post #3153 of 11873 Old 02-21-2013, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

See? Even when a speaker is "large", if "LFE+Main" is selected for the sub, then I still have cross-over settings available for each speaker (well, for each "pair" of speakers). Right?

You said "Once you set a channel to LARGE, there is no crossover in effect for that channel." But - based on page 140 in the manual - I'm not convinced that is true. What is the point of the Marantz letting me set the cross-over for "large" speakers if the Marantz isn't doing anything with those cross-overs? With speakers set to Large and sub to LFE+Main, what effect are these cross-over settings having? As near as I can tell, it's the exact same thing as cross-over settings for a "small" speaker. But that's where I'm guessing. That's why I'm asking - what's the difference between these cross-over settings for "large" speakers vs every other cross-over setting?
I can only guess, since my AV8801 is still on the way, but imagine this is the answer. When you set the speakers to Large and the subwoofer to LFE+Main, the crossover setting determines how much signal goes to the subwoofer as well as the mains. So, for instance, if you use the setting LFE+Main and set the crossover for 80hz, then frequencies above 80hz will go only to the mains, whereas frequencies below 80hz will go both to the mains and the sub.

Is that wrong?

Matty
post #3154 of 11873 Old 02-21-2013, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msilverz View Post

I can only guess, since my AV8801 is still on the way, but imagine this is the answer. When you set the speakers to Large and the subwoofer to LFE+Main, the crossover setting determines how much signal goes to the subwoofer as well as the mains. So, for instance, if you use the setting LFE+Main and set the crossover for 80hz, then frequencies above 80hz will go only to the mains, whereas frequencies below 80hz will go both to the mains and the sub.

Is that wrong?

Matty

That makes sense. What other purpose could it have?

Large LFE = Mains only
Small LFE = Mains crossed + LFE to sub
Small LFE + Mains = NA
Large LFR + Mains = Double bass

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #3155 of 11873 Old 02-21-2013, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:

Is that wrong?

Matty
Quote:

Quote:

Is that wrong?

Matty

Yes! this is correct but the idea that seems to get lost is the reason the LFE+main option exist in the first place was for those who wanted there sub for stereo playback at line level because of the lack of some subs with speaker level connections as well as having to run extra wire as well. I for one like the option and if used properly for stereo playback with a sub that can keep up with your mains and not muddy things up it can bring something to the table and why an even better option to have around is the Audyssey bypass FR/FL option and Audyssey all else meaning the sub alone in 2ch playback with Audyssey engaged of course, (like using an Antimode on the sub ) crossed over at 40hz or 60hz it can indeed sound good wink.gif

It's great to have options!
post #3156 of 11873 Old 02-21-2013, 10:16 PM

Liked: 12
2+2 = ? umm, 3, no, errr, 5, uhmm, errrr.... 4! (or maybe 2.1)

Light-bulb achieved! Thanks all! Now I have a much better grasp of LFE+Main - both what it does and why it exists. Thanks!
post #3157 of 11873 Old 02-22-2013, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

First, thanks for reading. Second, advertising and editorial are not connected in any way at all. They are two different departments and not once have I ever been approached by my editor to change a negative review because of a worry of losing advertising revenue. In fact, about five years ago I gave a very negative review of an AVR and the company came back to my editor pressuring him to kill the review and he absolutely refused to do so. I questioned the stated power of the piece because it was the worst sounding product I had ever heard at high volume levels, even though it was rated at 110 wpc (supposedly with all channels driven). If memory serves me, when it was measured on our test bench (the results of which I don't see until I read it in print...again, we don't want bench ratings to skew our objective review process), it ended up having only 45 wps with only one channel driven!

Needless to say, my editor was very impressed with my review and I gained a lot of respect for him in turn for saying NO to a big company (and big advertiser). So while you can question any review you want, there isn't any conflict of interest at Home Theater in this regard.

Nice review, Dave! Your claim that the SACD stereo layer of the Norah Jones CD is your favorite does make me wonder, though. Have you seen this?

Matty
post #3158 of 11873 Old 02-22-2013, 12:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

To get one thing out first, this is assuming you listen in xx.1 or xx.2 and are using the LFE channel for LFE only, not LFE plus main.
Yes, in my case, I am using a 7.4 system, with the 4 subs carrying LFE and bass from all the mains, crossed over.

Quote:
I want to address this as I have always felt your approach is a major No-no when it comes to setting up your system.

Movie mixes as has been said are mixed with content up to 120hz on the LFE channel, thus the reason why this is the standard.
Yes, I understand your point and I do not disagree with it. Having worked for Dolby for 25 years (and helped define their bass management requirements) I am familiar with the concept. In an earlier post in this thread I discussed some possible reasons why filtering LFE at, say, 80 Hz could be an option. My previous processor, a Tag McLaren AV32RBP, allowed LFE filtering at 80 Hz, 120 Hz, and none. It was rather illuminating to try them all. My current processor, the SSP-800, originally had the LFE filter set to 250 Hz IIRC, and that was not at all satisfactory, particularly with various 5.1 music. As it is not user adjustable in the SSP, they revised it for 80 Hz, which is an excellent "compromise" choice for movies and music. In other words, any degradation one might feel is being inflicted on movies is more than offset by the benefit in music quality.

If I had an 8801 with adjustable filtering, I'd probably still use 80 Hz for everything for the reasons discussed in the referenced post. That's just my preference based on what I like to hear. But I also said in that post that this is something tweaky users such as ourselves in this 8801 forum might like to experiment with and decide on their own. At least y'all have the luxury of being able to adjust it!

Quote:
Now back to the LFE channel, if you are cutting it off at 80hz, that means there is content in movies that you are completely missing as it is NOT redirected to anywhere, as there is nowhere else for it to go.

Basically, if you run your LFE channel at anything below 120hz for movies, you are just leaving the 80-120hz of LFE content to not be reproduced at all.
As you stated in another post, it's not completely missing.
Quote:

if the mixer chose to put an effect solely on the LFE channel, at say, 100hz, and you are crossing it at 80hz, you will miss it (Well not completely, as it will be reproduced in the rolloff, but at a much much lower level)

Let's put some objectivity into this. The diagram below shows 4th order lowpass filters at 120 Hz (green) and 80 Hz (red). It is the difference between these curves that we are talking about. At 120 Hz the difference is 8 dB, and at 100 Hz it is 6 dB.

Quote:
If you are willing to sacrifice that to prevent the mix from sounding "boomy" then that is all good, but I prefer to have each channel reproduce as much of the intended content as possible, and in the case of the LFE that is leaving it at 120hz smile.gif
I take no exception with your preference. I am just suggesting that other points of view also have merit. Did anyone going to Jurassic Park in DTS come away complaining there was not enough bass? tongue.gif Well, that was 80 Hz worth of LFE.

Quote:
Another thing to consider: Why 80hz XO for your mains? A simple answer is by 80hz, the response become omnidirectional (You really shouldn't be able to locate the source of the sound). Unless you have VERY capable speakers, a subwoofer is usually better suited to take over at this point, and much more efficient in reproducing these frequencies.
I agree on all points. While my L/R mains are pretty capable (Aerial 7B), I deliberately cross them over at 80 Hz to afford the maximum bandwidth to the subs which, as a group, counteract my room modes. They are all driven from the same mono signal, but each is EQ'd and timed by a JBL BassQ processor which was instrumental in solving some nasty lumpy and non-uniform bass. While it is a little out of date (does not reflect the addition of 4 ULS-15 subs), the basic concept is covered in this post in case that is of interest.

post #3159 of 11873 Old 02-22-2013, 01:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

In order for modern receivers and pre/pros to provide the best sound, you need to set all speakers to Small (i.e. enable bass management for all speaker channels), set the individual crossovers as high as reasonable -- which is at least one octave above the point where their response falls off by 3dB -- and set the subwoofer's Low Pass Filter to at least 120 Hz. In other words, if the -3dB point of your speakers is an excellent 40Hz, then the crossover frequency needs to be at least 80Hz.

Setting speakers to "Large" is pandering to obsolete preconceptions. If the lack of bass management sounds better to you, it's because you've become enamored of the low frequency distortions inherent in the speakers that you purchased, and you prefer those distortions to accurate sound. Don't forget that you chose those speakers after auditioning several different models because they're the ones that sounded the best, i.e. because they had the distortions that you liked the most, not because they were the most accurate. (You did audition multiple brands of speakers, right?)

On the other hand, home entertainment systems exist to provide entertainment. If you get the most entertainment when you listen to inaccurate sounds, then that's fine, too, but you really should try to be honest with yourself about that. It's the "preference vs. reference" dichotomy.

I'll give some credit to this as I become familiar with my new setup, I'm coming to grips with its capabilities as its not the same beast from before, I did some listening tonight as I'm not one to just leave things alone biggrin.gif
Here's what I did , I went in the settings and set my mains to small and played around with various crossover settings from 40-120hz and settled on 80hz as my sub has some of the best upper bass I've heard and can darn near out pace my mids tongue.gif Now having tried this kind of setup over the years and always found it lacking in the transition from mains to sub, this time that's not the case , infact I cant find the seam, mind you I do have Audyssey engaged and Dynamic EQ set to on as this fills in the lows at lower than reference volume levels. This did create a very well defined listening space and opened up the sound and had some very nice spatial moments and better imaging ( this was all 2/ch) and might I add I'm willing to eat some crow on this one as I under estimated the capabilities of the 8801's implementation of Audyssey and the DXD12012 , Its good to have gear that can meet or exceed Reference!
post #3160 of 11873 Old 02-22-2013, 02:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:

Is that wrong?
I'm afraid so.

If a speaker is set to Large, then it is driven full range, regardless of other settings.

If LFE+Main is active, then bass from not only the LFE and "Small" speakers feeds the sub, but so does bass from the Large speakers. The crossover adjustment still operative for the Large speakers sets the bass low-pass cutoff of the main signal being sent to the subwoofer. In that way, the subwoofer's supplemental bass can be matched to blend with the acoustic rolloff of the main speaker.

This explanation is based on how other products operate (I cannot confirm on 8801 -- but you can soon!).
post #3161 of 11873 Old 02-22-2013, 03:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewy04 View Post

I'm Running Sherbourn amp's with my AV8801 As I have stated before, I am new and very excited with this hobby. I choose these simply because they were recommended by my audio dealer. I have researched them through (AVS's) forums and for the most part have found dead threads. I am very pleased with the way things sound to my ears ( Especially since I did an 8 point Audessey calibration for the first time yesterday. I am still blown away at how much positive difference that made! WOW!) and have no regrets but I would be interested to hear from others. Do any of you have experience with this brand? Good or Bad?
What model Shearborns do you have. Newer versions quite different to older versions as Emotiva bought them.

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, DBP 2010, Samsung BD-C7900, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650. Sitting still CCM616, Kef...
post #3162 of 11873 Old 02-22-2013, 04:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

Why yes, that does look familiar smile.gif

I first fell in love with the small fast dome style midrange on my JBL XPL 140's.
They were aggressive but the loved the dispersion and speed; No beaming it makes the sound more expansive.

That was one reason I had an immediate affinity for the Revels.
I told a friend (2 channel guy) who is looing at the Aperion Grand Verus speakers that he should consider going up scale.
He has the money. He is 60, why not buy speakers that you can come back to for years and still love smile.gif

- Rich

Who new when I bought this, that it had the exact same driver as the Salon. I've heard good thinks about the Aperion's.
post #3163 of 11873 Old 02-22-2013, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

Who new when I bought this, that it had the exact same driver as the Salon. I've heard good thinks about the Aperion's.

I have too, but I have heard his listening habits.
He cranks up the speakers into the high 90's and plays songs that can bottom out many speakers.
His B&W's are limited but they hang together well when driven hard.
There is something to be said for quality drivers.

Years ago, I auditioned monitor audio towers playing Jennifer Warnes Way Down Deep:.
When the drum cut in, it was not pretty smile.gif

I also read that Aperion glues their drivers into the cabinets so there is no field replacement.

Af few years ago, Revel sent me a replacement midrange for the Voice (not to worry, it is a different driver from yours).
I also had a bad tweeter, I bought two new ones for the fronts.
So, I am a big fan of in home repair smile.gif

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

post #3164 of 11873 Old 02-22-2013, 06:26 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post

What model Shearborns do you have. Newer versions quite different to older versions as Emotiva bought them.
I have purchased a PA 2- 160 Stereo Amp & a PA 7-150 7 channel Amp.

post #3165 of 11873 Old 02-22-2013, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have too, but I have heard his listening habits.
He cranks up the speakers into the high 90's and plays songs that can bottom out many speakers.
His B&W's are limited but they hang together well when driven hard.
There is something to be said for quality drivers.

Years ago, I auditioned monitor audio towers playing Jennifer Warnes Way Down Deep:.
When the drum cut in, it was not pretty smile.gif

I also read that Aperion glues their drivers into the cabinets so there is no field replacement.

Af few years ago, Revel sent me a replacement midrange for the Voice (not to worry, it is a different driver from yours).
I also had a bad tweeter, I bought two new ones for the fronts.
So, I am a big fan of in home repair smile.gif

- Rich

Yikes, I've bottomed out speakers before and learned my lesson. I'm thinking it would take a lot to bottom out my 52's. I mean I've pushed them a little bit, but bot to the point that my amp is feeding them a bunch of distorted music. Although the Sunfire's are hard to distort IMO. The fact that they would glue their drivers in place, turns me off. Good video BTW.
post #3166 of 11873 Old 02-22-2013, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

Yikes, I've bottomed out speakers before and learned my lesson. I'm thinking it would take a lot to bottom out my 52's. I mean I've pushed them a little bit, but bot to the point that my amp is feeding them a bunch of distorted music. Although the Sunfire's are hard to distort IMO. The fact that they would glue their drivers in place, turns me off. Good video BTW.

It was a showroom and it wasn't the amp, it was the woofers that lost it.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

post #3167 of 11873 Old 02-22-2013, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

I'll give some credit to this as I become familiar with my new setup, I'm coming to grips with its capabilities as its not the same beast from before, I did some listening tonight as I'm not one to just leave things alone biggrin.gif
Here's what I did , I went in the settings and set my mains to small and played around with various crossover settings from 40-120hz and settled on 80hz as my sub has some of the best upper bass I've heard and can darn near out pace my mids tongue.gif Now having tried this kind of setup over the years and always found it lacking in the transition from mains to sub, this time that's not the case , infact I cant find the seam, mind you I do have Audyssey engaged and Dynamic EQ set to on as this fills in the lows at lower than reference volume levels. This did create a very well defined listening space and opened up the sound and had some very nice spatial moments and better imaging ( this was all 2/ch) and might I add I'm willing to eat some crow on this one as I under estimated the capabilities of the 8801's implementation of Audyssey and the DXD12012 , Its good to have gear that can meet or exceed Reference!

Did you have the LFE +Main on also with speakers set too small and did you try this while watching Movies? if so how did it sound.
post #3168 of 11873 Old 02-22-2013, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:

Nice review, Dave! Your claim that the SACD stereo layer of the Norah Jones CD is your favorite does make me wonder, though. Have you seen this?

Matty

Matty,

I've heard this before, but I've actually done some blind testing at my house with a few of my friends and the SACD layer has "won" each time an A/B comparison was done (I have both the CD and SACD). The source was identical Oppo BD players for the testings. In my findings, the differences were subtle, but they are there.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #3169 of 11873 Old 02-22-2013, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Quote:

BTW - nice graph. Is that REW? I bought everything I need to run REW a few years ago (calibrated mic, high-quality external sound-card, etc.) - but haven't hooked it up yet. I plan to start running it in a few weeks. Then I'll be one of the cool kids with REW graphs... (Right now I'm still re-arranging furniture and such that I think would significantly impact the graphs - so I want to finish that before starting on graphing...)

That is actually OmniMic. Not quite as capable as REW, as I have that too, but infinitely easier to setup and take quick measurements.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #3170 of 11873 Old 02-22-2013, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It was a showroom and it wasn't the amp, it was the woofers that lost it.

- Rich

I gotcha.
post #3171 of 11873 Old 02-22-2013, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckley44 View Post

Did you have the LFE +Main on also with speakers set too small and did you try this while watching Movies? if so how did it sound.

No ! LFE+Main was not used, and I would never use that option for movies as its not necessary because there is the .1 channel for that, I plan on running a few tracks today for movies and see if if sounds as good on movies vs running my current configuration which is mains full range , center & surrounds set to small and crossed over at 90hz my LFE is set to 90hz as well, the only change to this will be setting the mains to small and crossed over at 80hz and Audyssey Dynamic EQ set to on and at "0" reference! smile.gif
post #3172 of 11873 Old 02-22-2013, 11:22 AM

I have found an issue with my AV 8801: In playing High res flac files from my NAS through my 8801 I get very intermittent elctrical static noise that will happen for about 2 seconds and then it may or may not happen for a minute or 10 minutes. If the music is at 30db, the static noise is at 15-20db. Replaying the file does NOT repeat the problem and the issue can happen with random frequency. I orginally thought that it was electrical interference from AC sources and did a lot of changes and testing. Still no changes to the problem. It is only with flac files, not any of the other network audio options.

I then ran my flac files through a Centrance DACMini -CX and I could NOT duplicate the problem. I also tested the same and am currently running my Flac files from my NAS to my OPPO 95 and then out to the AV8801 via XLR. Problem cannot be duplicated and I might add that it is my opinion that the DACS in the OPPO 95 are far better than the 8801 (which really surprised me). I have done my testing using zone 3 with a set of MB Quartz speakers. Also there is no digital sound field manipulation as zone 3 can only receive analog inputs.

I really liked the option of running the flac files through the DAC in the 8801 but the static noise issue would be a good way to ruin my speakers if running them up to 75 db when that noise decided to intrude. Any ideas as to what or how to test further?

Brian
post #3173 of 11873 Old 02-22-2013, 11:24 AM

Also, to be noted: I don't have any static playing music or movies from the OPPO 95 or Directv receiver.

A side note: My BDP-105 will be here in a couple days so I am interested to dive into that arena as well
post #3174 of 11873 Old 02-22-2013, 12:24 PM
Troll

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneycreek View Post

I have found an issue with my AV 8801: In playing High res flac files from my NAS through my 8801 I get very intermittent elctrical static noise that will happen for about 2 seconds and then it may or may not happen for a minute or 10 minutes. If the music is at 30db, the static noise is at 15-20db. Replaying the file does NOT repeat the problem and the issue can happen with random frequency. I orginally thought that it was electrical interference from AC sources and did a lot of changes and testing. Still no changes to the problem. It is only with flac files, not any of the other network audio options.

I then ran my flac files through a Centrance DACMini -CX and I could NOT duplicate the problem. I also tested the same and am currently running my Flac files from my NAS to my OPPO 95 and then out to the AV8801 via XLR. Problem cannot be duplicated and I might add that it is my opinion that the DACS in the OPPO 95 are far better than the 8801 (which really surprised me). I have done my testing using zone 3 with a set of MB Quartz speakers. Also there is no digital sound field manipulation as zone 3 can only receive analog inputs.

I really liked the option of running the flac files through the DAC in the 8801 but the static noise issue would be a good way to ruin my speakers if running them up to 75 db when that noise decided to intrude. Any ideas as to what or how to test further?

Brian

omg i never thought much of it, but i have the exact same problem, playing high res flac from nas to 8801, every now and then i get this weird static noise, it happens maybe once or twice a day, but scared the crap out of me.

hope someone gets this figured out.
post #3175 of 11873 Old 02-22-2013, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneycreek View Post

Also, to be noted: I don't have any static playing music or movies from the OPPO 95 or Directv receiver.

A side note: My BDP-105 will be here in a couple days so I am interested to dive into that arena as well

Yep! it happened to me once as well! did you guys do the latest firmware install ? as I haven't heard it in a while but Iv'e been testing the 105 so haven't tried it in a while and I find the dac's in the 8801 to give the 105's a run for there money!
post #3176 of 11873 Old 02-22-2013, 01:43 PM

Liked: 21
For the owners of AV8801 and Squeezebox Touch....

Have you compared the sound quality of SB Touch DAC into 7.1 input vs. SB Touch (SPDIF) RCA digital coax output into AV8801 digital coax input?

- Alex
post #3177 of 11873 Old 02-22-2013, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

No ! LFE+Main was not used, and I would never use that option for movies as its not necessary because there is the .1 channel for that, I plan on running a few tracks today for movies and see if if sounds as good on movies vs running my current configuration which is mains full range , center & surrounds set to small and crossed over at 90hz my LFE is set to 90hz as well, the only change to this will be setting the mains to small and crossed over at 80hz and Audyssey Dynamic EQ set to on and at "0" reference! smile.gif

Audiofan- Which sub connection on the back of the 8801 should be used with a single sub? How should I configure the settings? I too have set my mains to small and have them crossed over at 80 hz. I need to check and see where the LFE is set.

I'm used to my Lexicon that rolls all bass into either the L/R sub outs from the mains or LFE if you tell it to.

I want to make sure I'm getting all the bass that is possible with my Seaton Submersive.

Thanks,
David

David Lynch Current Equipment: Marantz AV8801, Proceed HPA3, Parasound HCA-1206, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), Aerial Acoustics LR3's (sides), RBH in-walls (rears), Seaton Submersive, Marantz VP15s1, 106" Carada BW screen, Oppo BDP-103.
post #3178 of 11873 Old 02-22-2013, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 549
SW1 is good for a single sub, and your LFE is more than likely at 120hz out of the box.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #3179 of 11873 Old 02-22-2013, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlynch View Post

Audiofan- Which sub connection on the back of the 8801 should be used with a single sub? How should I configure the settings? I too have set my mains to small and have them crossed over at 80 hz. I need to check and see where the LFE is set.

I'm used to my Lexicon that rolls all bass into either the L/R sub outs from the mains or LFE if you tell it to.

I want to make sure I'm getting all the bass that is possible with my Seaton Submersive.

Thanks,
David

Seaton nice biggrin.gif I use the SW1 output on the 8801 and be sure when running Audyssey you tell it you have a sub in its setup menu as well. After a couple of test today using Star Wars ep.II and using the opening scene and the Asteroid scene I settled on 80hz for all speakers and the sub LPF set to 90hz, interestingly on the LPF a few threads back Roger D. recommended 80hz and was dead on in his assessment of better low frequency sound as I found the bass indeed sounded deeper and better defined in the lows, however I did play around with settings up to 120hz and this is where things indeed got interesting especaily if your sub is capable of playing cleanly up top which from what I hear the Seaton does very well wink.gif the differences where very noticeable between the two scenes used on the opening scene I did prefer the 80hz setting as it revealed better tactile sensation when the cruiser is during its fly by, during the Asteroid scene 100-120hz won out because of the content that was mixed in up higher in the mix and had a very engaging cinematic feel in room lock and an immersive sound field , this indeed sucked as now I would have to find an in between to have the best of both and after a lot of going back and forth 90hz ( extension and impact) yielded the best of both worlds and sounded very nice, I'm glad I took the time to play around with this as it elevates the movie experience to a new level, give it a shot a let us know what you find smile.gif
post #3180 of 11873 Old 02-22-2013, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That is actually OmniMic. Not quite as capable as REW, as I have that too, but infinitely easier to setup and take quick measurements.

Could I use OmniMic capture the room response playing a song, change some settings in the AV8801, and capture again.
Then compare the two?

Thanks,

Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Ken Kreisel Dxd 12012 Subwoofer , Marantz Av8801 , Receivers Amplifiers , Audyssey , Integra
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page