Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread - Page 133 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3961 of 11940 Old 03-16-2013, 01:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've searched online, skimmed the manual, etc. but for the life of me, I cannot figure out what on earth the little blue star / asterisk at the top of the main display is for. Anyone know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3962 of 11940 Old 03-16-2013, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 407
I thought it was just part of their logo. Maybe it's something else?
post #3963 of 11940 Old 03-16-2013, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumble View Post

I've searched online, skimmed the
manual, etc. but for the life of me, I cannot figure out what on earth the little blue star / asterisk at the top of the main display is for. Anyone know?

Looks like a decoration to me.
Maybe they found a star that fell off a Subaru.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #3964 of 11940 Old 03-16-2013, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

From my iPhone, I think only one pic posted up above.

Do you know if the AV8801 saves channel level trims independently per input source when using this, or are these settings global? In the manual claim it has 'Personal Memory Plus' like older Marantz models, which ought to mean you can tailor channel levels saved per input source?

RickyDeg

| PRIMARE SP33 (processor/DAC)

| PRIMARE A30.7 (multichannel amp)

KEN KREISEL Q125 / DXD-12012 (5.1 speaker system)

SAMSUNG LE-52B755 (tv)

OPPO BDP-103D (blu-ray transport)

NAIM UNITISERVE (HDD music server)

ISOTEK AQUARIUS (mainsfilter)

post #3965 of 11940 Old 03-16-2013, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyDeg View Post

Do you know if the AV8801 saves channel level trims independently per input source when using this, or are these settings global? In the manual claim it has 'Personal Memory Plus' like older Marantz models, which ought to mean you can tailor channel levels saved per input source?

Hi, I'm pretty sure it does, but I'm kinda of hooked on multi channel stereo so I haven't experimented with others much. One of the other guys can tell you better.
post #3966 of 11940 Old 03-16-2013, 08:45 AM

Location: San Diego County, southern California, USA, Planet Earth
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

What Emotiva are you evaluating.

- Rich

UMC-200 pre/pro. So far I'm pretty impressed for the price, but it doesn't come close to the Marantz---not that I was expecting it to.

Dave

How cool/warm does the MM8077 run in comparison to Emotiva you're evaluating?

Edwin R. Hurd
AVS Forums Lurker-In-Training!

My Tight-space A/V Setup
post #3967 of 11940 Old 03-16-2013, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhurd View Post

Dave

The UMC-200 is a preamp.

If you want a cool running more powerful amp also check out the Outlaw 7700.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #3968 of 11940 Old 03-16-2013, 09:03 AM

Location: San Diego County, southern California, USA, Planet Earth
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhurd View Post

Dave

The UMC-200 is a preamp.

If you want a cool running more powerful amp also check out the Outlaw 7700.

- Rich

I stand corrected, Rich; thanks for the re-direct. [Removing foot from mouth]

Edwin R. Hurd
AVS Forums Lurker-In-Training!

My Tight-space A/V Setup
post #3969 of 11940 Old 03-16-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:

Hi, I'm pretty sure it does, but I'm kinda of hooked on multi channel stereo so I haven't experimented with others much. One of the other guys can tell you better.

That's exactly the soundmode I aim on using myself for music, but it seldom sounds right without manual speaker level balancing in my room. Although, I'd still need the global settings to apply for all other sources. This was such an easy thing with both Marantz and Denon of the past, donno why they've complicated this excellent feature now.

RickyDeg

SAMSUNG LE-52B755 (tv)

post #3970 of 11940 Old 03-16-2013, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's exactly the soundmode I am on using myself for music, but it seldom sounds right without manual speaker level balancing in my room. Although, I'd still need the global settings to apply for all other sources. This was such an easy thing with both Marantz and Denon of the past, donno why they've complicated this excellent feature now.

Have you tried Audyssey? I am no expert on it, but many swear by it. The 8801 has a lot of settings but not near as complicated as some. I think once you have your settings set right it will make a big difference. How long have you owned your Marantz?
post #3971 of 11940 Old 03-16-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:

Have you tried Audyssey? I am no expert on it, but many swear by it. The 8801 has a lot of settings but not near as complicated as some. I think once you have your settings set right it will make a big difference. How long have you owned your Marantz?

Oh, Audyssey is part of the equation, for sure. My concern lay elsewhere as 'Multi Channel Stereo' seldom sounds right (with or without Audyssey) unless I have the option to manually tailor individual channel levels regardless of the global settings (I may want to lower the sound coming from the center channel, for example) and then have those settings be saved automatically for that input, which 'Personal Memory Plus' use to allow. That's why this possibility would be so great.

I do not yet own the AV8801, as this possibility is a must since I only listen to music in 'Multi Channel Stereo' and fear it's gonna sound bloated and unbalanced without the aforementioned option.

RickyDeg

SAMSUNG LE-52B755 (tv)

post #3972 of 11940 Old 03-16-2013, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oh, Audyssey is part of the equation, for sure. My concern lay elsewhere as 'Multi Channel Stereo' seldom sounds right (with or without Audyssey) unless I have the option to manually tailor individual channel levels regardless of the global settings (I may want to lower the sound coming from the center channel, for example) and then have those settings be saved automatically for that input, which 'Personal Memory Plus' use to allow. That's why this possibility would be so great.

I do not yet own the AV8801, as this possibility is a must since I only listen to music in 'Multi Channel Stereo' and fear it's gonna sound bloated and unbalanced without the aforementioned option.

I hear what your saying. I think someone else can comment better than I can as far as saving your preference in settings in a particular mode. I'm 90% music vs 10% for movies, and I'm happy for the most part with the way I have multi channel set up. I find for movies I'm not as picky about my settings, and honestly it sounds pretty amazing in most modes to me.
post #3973 of 11940 Old 03-16-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:

I hear what your saying. I think someone else can comment better than I can as far as saving your preference in settings in a particular mode. I'm 90% music vs 10% for movies, and I'm happy for the most part with the way I have multi channel set up. I find for movies I'm not as picky about my settings, and honestly it sounds pretty amazing in most modes to me.

I know it's a lot to ask but could you possibly check via that iPad app? If you adjust any given speaker channel level while listening to a music input source with 'Multi Channel Stereo' and make note of the adjusted db level. After that simply switch to another input (movie) and see if your original global setting is still active on that input or if the aforementioned change was carried over... cause if so, it doesn't work.

RickyDeg

SAMSUNG LE-52B755 (tv)

post #3974 of 11940 Old 03-16-2013, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I know it's a lot to ask but could you possibly check via that iPad app? If you adjust any given speaker channel level while listening to a music input source with 'Multi Channel Stereo' and make note of the adjusted db level. After that simply switch to another input (movie) and see if your original global setting is still active on that input or if the aforementioned change was carried over... cause if so, it doesn't work.

Yes with the app I have, you can absolutely adjust individual channel levels while listening in multi channel stereo mode or any other one, that I've tried anyway. Ok I just tried what you said, the settings do not carry over from one to another. So I'm assuming they all have their own memory.
post #3975 of 11940 Old 03-16-2013, 03:56 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Looks like a decoration to me.
Maybe they found a star that fell off a Subaru.

- Rich

HA!

Not sure that it's decorative as mine isn't always "ON".

Unless... crap... is everyone else's star always on? If it is, maybe I've got a defective Subaru star?

In the manual, there's a section describing what you'll see on the Main Display, and it's on in every shot they've got but it's never actually referenced.
post #3976 of 11940 Old 03-16-2013, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

UMC-200 pre/pro. So far I'm pretty impressed for the price, but it doesn't come close to the Marantz---not that I was expecting it to.

Dave can you share a major point or two where the UMC comes up short of the Marantz? The feature set looks quite nice. Especially the parametric EQ options for those of us that like to measure and " roll our own" calibration.
post #3977 of 11940 Old 03-16-2013, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio2 View Post

Dave can you share a major point or two where the UMC comes up short of the Marantz? The feature set looks quite nice. Especially the parametric EQ options for those of us that like to measure and " roll our own" calibration.

For the money, the Emotiva is a very nice piece of electronics, but I can't elaborate further at this time. My article should post sometime in April on Hometheater.com.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #3978 of 11940 Old 03-16-2013, 07:18 PM
TL5
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
My 8801 is coming Wednesday - getting ready for the install. As far as audyssey goes, I have a projector mounted right over the MLP. Will the fan noise ruin the calibation? Is it possible to run it using just the 8801's display, or is a monitor needed?
post #3979 of 11940 Old 03-16-2013, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TL5 View Post

My 8801 is coming Wednesday - getting ready for the install. As far as audyssey goes, I have a projector mounted right over the MLP. Will the fan noise ruin the calibation? Is it possible to run it using just the 8801's display, or is a monitor needed?

You want the room as quiet as possible when calibrating. This means the projector should be off. The AV8801's main zone has 2 HDMI outputs. I have a projector and a 21" LCD connected to the AV8801. I use the LCD for maintenance such as calibration and when I just want to listen to music but may need a display for selecting media to play. IMO the dual HDMI outputs of the AV8801 is a great feature.
post #3980 of 11940 Old 03-16-2013, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumble View Post

HA!

Not sure that it's decorative as mine isn't always "ON".

Unless... crap... is everyone else's star always on? If it is, maybe I've got a defective Subaru star?

In the manual, there's a section describing what you'll see on the Main Display, and it's on in every shot they've got but it's never actually referenced.

Um, it is painted on tongue.gif

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

post #3981 of 11940 Old 03-16-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:

Yes with the app I have, you can absolutely adjust individual channel levels while listening in multi channel stereo mode or any other one, that I've tried anyway. Ok I just tried what you said, the settings do not carry over from one to another. So I'm assuming they all have their own memory.

That's brilliant. Thank you for making the effort! smile.gif

RickyDeg

SAMSUNG LE-52B755 (tv)

post #3982 of 11940 Old 03-16-2013, 09:20 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Liked: 1365
Quote:

A small 12" HDMI display works well in this scenario.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3983 of 11940 Old 03-16-2013, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

^^
Most functions are displayed in the window behind the drop-down panel.
However, I have did not try the initial setup this way.

Still, I think it is doable.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

post #3984 of 11940 Old 03-16-2013, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I didn't try switching yet, I'm fighting an ear infection an can't turn up the volume too loud. Or maybe that's why it's infected wink.gif others that have heard my setup think it sounded a little too bright, my thoughts are they were used to the treble from my PSB's and the Revels are a total different sound. Marriage? I didn't get any invitation smile.gif I would love to gets listen to the Outlaw sound, it's just not possible. Unless I buy one.

If I knew you 12 years ago then you might have got the invitation tongue.gif

I can best describe the difference between the Sunfire and Outlaw with the Salons as the Outlaw posses more speed and dynamics. The Outlaw maintains this dynamics when played loud. The Sunfire get loud and is powerful but some of the separation of the instruments is obscured. As if the sound was being compressed.

My current plans is to sell my 7500 and buy its big brother, the 7900 and Bi-amp.
Since the Outlaw amp modules are independent, even at ungodly levels, clipping the woofer amp will not clip the midrange/tweeter amp. So, there will be no audible clipping effects short of ear-bleeding and fire hazards.

That should tell you how much I like Outlaw amps.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

post #3985 of 11940 Old 03-16-2013, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:

My display is a DLP and for calibration it was off, the front display behind the panel is all you need, just use the cursor on the remote if you need to retry a speaker or continue to the next its all on the display wink.gif
post #3986 of 11940 Old 03-16-2013, 11:52 PM

Liked: 12
Yep I use DeRemote and have an unreleased version of it as initially had issues with setting surround modes and he altered it . Now works 100%, though one small enhancement I would like him to make.

Works well now!
post #3987 of 11940 Old 03-17-2013, 04:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's brilliant. Thank you for making the effort! smile.gif

Your welcome Ricky.
post #3988 of 11940 Old 03-17-2013, 04:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbar View Post

Yep I use DeRemote and have an unreleased version of it as initially had issues with setting surround modes and he altered it . Now works 100%, though one small enhancement I would like him to make.

Works well now!

It's impressive that he went to that length to make it work for you.
post #3989 of 11940 Old 03-17-2013, 04:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If I knew you 12 years ago then you might have got the invitation tongue.gif

I can best describe the difference between the Sunfire and Outlaw with the Salons as the Outlaw posses more speed and dynamics. The Outlaw maintains this dynamics when played loud. The Sunfire get loud and is powerful but some of the separation of the instruments is obscured. As if the sound was being compressed.

My current plans is to sell my 7500 and buy its big brother, the 7900 and Bi-amp.
Since the Outlaw amp modules are independent, even at ungodly levels, clipping the woofer amp will not clip the midrange/tweeter amp. So, there will be no audible clipping effects short of ear-bleeding and fire hazards.

That should tell you how much I like Outlaw amps.

- Rich

They sound like a great sounding amp. I haven't heard one person say they didn't like there's.
post #3990 of 11940 Old 03-17-2013, 05:11 AM
TL5
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

A small 12" HDMI display works well in this scenario.

I have a 7" DVD player that can be used as a monitor - will that work? It's only a composite video output though....
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Ken Kreisel Dxd 12012 Subwoofer , Marantz Av8801 , Receivers Amplifiers , Audyssey , Integra
Gear in this thread - Av8801 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page