Old 03-25-2013, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrel McBane View Post

I contacted Marantz support this morning about my firmware fail problem. There fix is to reset the network/processor with the following command. While unplugged press and hold on the front panel movie/music buttons while plugging in unit. This should reset the network and processor. Except on my unit of course. I still get a locked in standby mode condition. Now, I have to take to unit to a service repair place to resolve the problem. I suggested to the helpful assistant that Marantz allow users to download the firmware from their website to a usb device and update it that way. He said he would pass that along.

But they gave you no reason why it happened? Or why it happened to some and not others?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2013, 11:03 AM
TL5
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Just wondering how Airplay works (and sounds!) on the 8801. I have been using my Squeezebox Classic for streaming itunes - anybody compare this to Airplay in the 8801? One thing I'm trying to figure out: If I want to stream itunes from my PC to the AV8801 & use the Apple remote app on my Touch, what controls volume? Doesn't itunes have it's own volume? If so, is there a way to change it to "fixed" so I don't have both the itunes & 8801's volume controls active?
Old 03-25-2013, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL5 View Post

Just wondering how Airplay works (and sounds!) on the 8801. I have been using my Squeezebox Classic for streaming itunes - anybody compare this to Airplay in the 8801? One thing I'm trying to figure out: If I want to stream itunes from my PC to the AV8801 & use the Apple remote app on my Touch, what controls volume? Doesn't itunes have it's own volume? If so, is there a way to change it to "fixed" so I don't have both the itunes & 8801's volume controls active?

I can comment on AirPlay, it works and sounds great from both my iPhone and iPad. I never used squeezebox so I can't compare the two, but I can't imagine it would sound any better. There's a volume control right at the bottom of your device when in AirPlay mode.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:25 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
But they gave you no reason why it happened? Or why it happened to some and not others?

His only comment about the download problem was that their servers are heavily used and had caused some problems.

Now is Forever
Old 03-25-2013, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

His only comment about the download problem was that their servers are heavily used and had caused some problems.

Damn, I guess I'll be waiting a couple of days after the release from now on. I hope the service works out for your 8801, good luck smile.gif
Old 03-25-2013, 02:50 PM
Say No to Auto EQ

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked: 999
Quote:

I use it daily, and it works flawlessly. You are still going to have a seperate volume control inside airplay, but you should be able to adjust this to an appropriate level where your AVR's level will default to when selecting the airplay device. For instance, I have my airplay volume set at about halfway down, so if I turn on my AVR and then press play to have some tunes, it automatically changes the AVR to -47dB, and then I use the marantz app if I want to adjust it up or down from there. the -47dB is just a good average starting point smile.gif

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 03:18 PM

Location: San Diego County, southern California, USA, Planet Earth
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

Quote:

Damn, I guess I'll be waiting a couple of days after the release from now on. I hope the service works out for your 8801, good luck smile.gif

That sounds like the smarter strategy...

Edwin R. Hurd
AVS Forums Lurker-In-Training!

My Tight-space A/V Setup
Old 03-25-2013, 03:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Yeah.....I'm going to have to have some assurance that I'm not going to brick my 8801 when I do a firmware update.

In any event, I didn't see anything in the change log that would apply to me.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, VideoForge HDMI II, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:57 PM
TL5
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

I use it daily, and it works flawlessly. You are still going to have a seperate volume control inside airplay, but you should be able to adjust this to an appropriate level where your AVR's level will default to when selecting the airplay device. For instance, I have my airplay volume set at about halfway down, so if I turn on my AVR and then press play to have some tunes, it automatically changes the AVR to -47dB, and then I use the marantz app if I want to adjust it up or down from there. the -47dB is just a good average starting point smile.gif

Thanks for the info. So are you saying whatever the volume is set at it iTunes (in your example -47db) that's the starting point when you first activate airplay, and the volume on the Marantz takes it from there? I'm just trying to determine if there are in fact two volume controls active at one time - the one in the Marantz and the level control in iTunes. That's something I don't want - especially if the iTunes volume control is digital.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Yeah.....I'm going to have to have some assurance that I'm not going to brick my 8801 when I do a firmware update.

In any event, I didn't see anything in the change log that would apply to me.

I hate to say it but that is a good gameplan. I have since received 3 or 4 emails from my website from others who have had their 8801s go into a coma from attempting this update. I am going with the "Only fools rush in where angels fear to tread" attitude for now on with updates for my 8801.

I wish the others a speedy recover for their 8801. Hang in there. At least they should be 100% covered under warranty (3 years)...

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
Old 03-25-2013, 07:01 PM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Glad to say mine made the update without issue.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I was the first to update to this firmware when I was reviewing it. Thank God it was emailed to me!

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

Old 03-25-2013, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm thinking about purchasing one of these (http://www.coolerguys.com/ccstandktc.html) to sit on top of the 8801. I had to move mine recently to a shelf that's a little less ventilated than before and I've noticed it's getting about 10 degrees warmer (108 degrees) than in its old spot. Anyone have experience with this stuff?

David Vaughn

Old 03-25-2013, 07:55 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckley44 View Post

Last night i turned on my Marantz to watch a movie and had a blank screen, so i thought maybe it was my blu ray player so i switched inputs and still had no screen,I had watched something 2 hrs prior so i know that i had not made any changes.By the way i have not done the latest upgrade as of yet,
eventually i had to unplug the Marantz and reboot and then everything was up and running again,strange but i'm glad everything seems to be fine for now, i'm a little scared to do the update today because tonight is out night to watch all of are shows with the wife eek.gif better play it safe and shoot for Monday during the day.

I have had a similar experience. Only I had a green screen not a blank one. I switch over between sources (first PS3 then Satelite then Internet radio and lastly to my iPod) and nothing changed. Just a green screen. I turned the unit off and then back on and all was good.
buckley44 likes this.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

I'm thinking about purchasing one of these (http://www.coolerguys.com/ccstandktc.html) to sit on top of the 8801. I had to move mine recently to a shelf that's a little less ventilated than before and I've noticed it's getting about 10 degrees warmer (108 degrees) than in its old spot. Anyone have experience with this stuff?

I've always used these: http://www.amazon.com/Antec-Profile-Component-Theater-Products/dp/B000QJ4ZE2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364263949&sr=8-1&keywords=antec+component+cooler

They're on sale too! Usually 20.00 more or so.

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
Old 03-25-2013, 08:58 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

I don't like the noise level they're listing. I've bought fans from them before - great fans, great service. But that device shows a 20.4 dB level just to move 46CFM of air. When I tried fans with dBA ratings in the 20s, maybe even in the teens, they were too loud for my tastes. I used a do-it-yourself approach with brackets bought at my local hardware store and attached those fans to an open-air rack to move air across the heat-sinks of my amps. Since this open-air rack is in my living room with the TV, I'm very sensitive to any sound made by fans.

Years ago when I bought fans from them a single 120mm fan could move 33.5CFM of air at only 8.7 dBA. That fan was the Scythe S-FLEX SFF21D 120mm Case Fan. Unfortunately, it looks like that fan has been discontinued. I would look for a fan with similar specs (under 10 dbA, over 30 CFM of air movement) - and look at adding those fans to a cooling stand. They sell those ready-for-fans cooling stands too - http://www.coolerguys.com/ccstand.html
Old 03-25-2013, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Bill. I'm worried about noise as well.

David Vaughn

Old 03-25-2013, 10:05 PM

Liked: 12
You might try adding these fans to the ready-for-fans cooler case.

Noctua 120mm NF-S12B ULN 120mm Fan 700/500RPM - http://www.coolerguys.com/840556089810.html

At 700 rpm, they move 33.5 CFM and are only making 6.8 dBA of noise. That's the quietest I can find. I've never tried them personally, but the specs look good.

Here's a list of 120mm fans that helped me zero in on that particular fan. The list can be sorted by noise - just click on the "Noise (dBA)" column header. - http://www.quietpc.com/120mmfans
Old 03-25-2013, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Bill. I'll give it a look!

David Vaughn

Old 03-25-2013, 10:55 PM
Just add water and stir

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:

We can do that!?! Sweet mother of pearl...I need to try this!
Old 03-25-2013, 11:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

From what I can tell using Audirvana Plus to Airplay, the Marantz like most AP devices are limited to 44.1kHz. AudirvanaPlus sends out using 24/44.1

AudirvanaPlus also sees that as a DAC that has a volume control. Adjusting the volume knob in A+ also adjusts the Marantz volume setting as seen on the front display.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:10 AM

Liked: 10
hello all,

need a little help please... where can i get a good deal on this processor? i live in los angeles.

thanks in advance

Xbox Live: h2tHe7
Old 03-26-2013, 03:17 AM

Liked: 16
Does anyone paired this with new Marantz NA-11S1 network audio player?
Thanks a lot.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill222 View Post

You might try adding these fans to the ready-for-fans cooler case.

Noctua 120mm NF-S12B ULN 120mm Fan 700/500RPM - http://www.coolerguys.com/840556089810.html

At 700 rpm, they move 33.5 CFM and are only making 6.8 dBA of noise. That's the quietest I can find. I've never tried them personally, but the specs look good.

Here's a list of 120mm fans that helped me zero in on that particular fan. The list can be sorted by noise - just click on the "Noise (dBA)" column header. - http://www.quietpc.com/120mmfans

I have used those fans in PC's and they are very good.
Also, you can use a fan speed controller to adjust them.
If they can run at 5V you could power them off a USB port as well.
So many choices. smile.gif

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A21 & A31 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
Old 03-26-2013, 04:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

I have used those fans in PC's and they are very good.
Also, you can use a fan speed controller to adjust them.
If they can run at 5V you could power them off a USB port as well.
So many choices. smile.gif

- Rich

Rich I have two fans running, one blowing on the 8801 and one on my amp. (I noticed the back of the Sunfire hot to the touch) I've heard others say a fan blowing on rather than pulling air through AV equipment can heat up the boards. What are your thoughts on this?
Old 03-26-2013, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
You should always follow the natural flow of hot air and don't work against it. This means, instead of blowing into it (against the natural flow) sucking out the air thus supporting that flow.
If you blow the hot air into the unit you are distributing the temperature rise even further into places where it didn't happen before.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

Rich I have two fans running, one blowing on the 8801 and one on my amp. (I noticed the back of the Sunfire hot to the touch) I've heard others say a fan blowing on rather than pulling air through AV equipment can heat up the boards. What are your thoughts on this?

Wow, A Sunfire gets hot. I have never had more than warm, but mine was in an open credenza.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkey View Post

You should always follow the natural flow of hot air and don't work against it. This means, instead of blowing into it (against the natural flow) sucking out the air thus supporting that flow.
If you blow the hot air into the unit you are distributing the temperature rise even further into places where it didn't happen before.

Also, I find it is less dusty to blow away from the equipment.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A21 & A31 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
Old 03-26-2013, 05:52 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Ups tracking number states that my av8801 is "out for delivery" looks like i will be headed home and get the elite out and prep for the new processor!
Old 03-26-2013, 05:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by baranowski View Post

Ups tracking number states that my av8801 is "out for delivery" looks like i will be headed home and get the elite out and prep for the new processor!

Im getting mine in the morning cant wait Congrats

Analog :Preamp: NOS Valves NBS Preamplifier, Amps: NOS Valves VRD mono blocks - VPI Classic 2 Soundsmith Zephyr MK/II VPI 16.5
Digital :Auralic Vega , Auralic Aries
Speakers :Selah Audio Tempesta's
Old 03-26-2013, 05:55 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

I bought a single one to sit on top of my amp and Marantz,cheap for both of them and they have the variable speed on them so i turn them down pretty low and they do move the air away from the equipment, if you have them on full blast they do have some noise to them as far as the blower itself. so like i said i leave my on low and it does the job and a very cheap alternative.

Tags
Ken Kreisel Dxd 12012 Subwoofer , Marantz Av8801 , Receivers Amplifiers , Audyssey , Integra