post #4501 of 12292 Old 03-29-2013, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzieP View Post

OK, so NO NETWORK UPDATE with the Marantz since you run a chance of bricking it. Where can I find instructions for a safer update to the 8801?

Why is Marantz so risky for network updates? I have done so many network updates on other devices without this issue.

Just did my 45min update no issue at all smile.gif

Analog :Preamp: NOS Valves NBS Preamplifier, Amps: NOS Valves VRD mono blocks - VPI Classic 2 Soundsmith Zephyr MK/II VPI 16.5
Digital :Auralic Vega , Auralic Aries
Speakers :Selah Audio Tempesta's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4502 of 12292 Old 03-29-2013, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1usedcomp View Post

Just did my 45min update no issue at all smile.gif
"Gutsy move Mav"
post #4503 of 12292 Old 03-29-2013, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

^^^

the Marantz rack ears do not come with...and they don't seem to be available anymore

nice thing about this mount is it takes up only 4U with feet removed: I think the M/A RSH is 5U

Not sure how many spaces the M/A RSH will take since they do not seem to have one yet, and to bad the rack ears are no longer available. Where were they located when they were being sold?

I just ordered a zero space rack to hold the 8801 till the M/A face plate comes out or I can find one I like. I do like the flush look the rack ears give it but not as finished as the M/A or the one GetGray has.
post #4504 of 12292 Old 03-29-2013, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 409
I've done all my updates via Ethernet to my router with no problems. Like others have suggested try waiting it out a couple of days after it comes out. I'm sure Marantz is working on a solution, or they will be repairing a bunch of pre/pro's.
post #4505 of 12292 Old 03-29-2013, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

"Gutsy move Mav"

No Gutsy is using a Trendnet powerline which I also did

I done plenty of FW updates and never had an issue but it was a long 45 min . I figured might as well get it over and down with

I had to also let my Harmony one leard the CBL/SAT from the org remote , and with the xbox 360 I learned you need to put in xbox 360
when setting up the Harmony if you just put xbox in it wants you to buy an IR adapter

This Pre Pro has to be one of the best so far Im very happy

Analog :Preamp: NOS Valves NBS Preamplifier, Amps: NOS Valves VRD mono blocks - VPI Classic 2 Soundsmith Zephyr MK/II VPI 16.5
post #4506 of 12292 Old 03-29-2013, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have been lurking since the start of this thread. I have wavered on a pre-pro upgrade for a few years, never satisfied with what is available. The 8801 looked like a good option. But problems reported here kept things on hold to give Marantz time to sort things out.

And then I read that you can brick a unit doing a network update. And my reaction is what a POS. Why? Are manufacturers to cheap to do it right? Are their designers to stupid to do it right? It this a D&M cultural issue? Unless I am very wrong, most, even almost all, network upgradeable products can retry and recover an upgrade in all cases.

I am not just venting. I spent most of my life with computers and wonder why this is a problem. If you know please post for my and others education. Until this is explained or a resolution exists I will be watching but not buying.

"Most people would die sooner than think, in fact they do so."  Bertrand Russell The ABC of Relativity, 1925

post #4507 of 12292 Old 03-29-2013, 12:15 PM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Go back and count how many say this happened to them.
Estimate how many hundreds are in service now.
Estimate how may of the ones with problems could have been due to errors out of their (Marantz) control.
Consider how many other units they have in service using identical models and methods.

I contend the error's are nominal. I have sold lots of the 8801's. Not one of my customers has reported a problem.

"POS" is unreasonable to say the least. I've spent all my adult life with IT products from high end routers on cell sites to simple PC cards. I've seen plenty of them fail firmware updates.
post #4508 of 12292 Old 03-29-2013, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Are any AV8801 owners here using Martin Logan ESL's? If so, how is the sound? Neutral, a tad bright, or slightly warm?
post #4509 of 12292 Old 03-29-2013, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbug2 View Post

I have been lurking since the start of this thread. I have wavered on a pre-pro upgrade for a few years, never satisfied with what is available. The 8801 looked like a good option. But problems reported here kept things on hold to give Marantz time to sort things out.

And then I read that you can brick a unit doing a network update. And my reaction is what a POS. Why? Are manufacturers to cheap to do it right? Are their designers to stupid to do it right? It this a D&M cultural issue? Unless I am very wrong, most, even almost all, network upgradeable products can retry and recover an upgrade in all cases.

I am not just venting. I spent most of my life with computers and wonder why this is a problem. If you know please post for my and others education. Until this is explained or a resolution exists I will be watching but not buying.
POS very intelligent comment
erhurd likes this.

post #4510 of 12292 Old 03-29-2013, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

That is consistent with others I have spoken to as well. Now knowing this has happened to more than a couple people I plan to not ever use the network when it comes to upgrading Denon or Marantz components. It is like a crap shoot or pulling and praying....

If Marantz can figure out the scenario that caused the units to fail during the firmware update process, they may be able to issue a firmware update that once successfully installed would be able to prevent future problems of the type that some have encountered. Depending on the cause(s) of the problem that occurred it is possible that an update via USB could also leave a unit inoperable. A ultra conservative approach to firmware updates would include having the unit to be updated connected to a UPS to prevent power glitches and disconnecting all connections to the unit except those required for update.

Bob
post #4511 of 12292 Old 03-29-2013, 12:47 PM

Liked: 12
I ran all 3 firmware updates as they came out. I think the 3rd one I ran on the same day it came out. No problems. But I was probably running the updates at 3 in the morning.
post #4512 of 12292 Old 03-29-2013, 01:15 PM

Liked: 10
Updated my 8801 yesterday with no problem (wired connection). Estimate was 43 minutes and that's about how long it took. I ended uo with a broken connector on the right speaker cable but luckily I had a replacement, albeit lower quality but all seems well. Speaker cable is already on its way to Audioquest for repair.

However the WOW comes into play after just listening to a 200gm 45rpm LP of the "The Doors". If you're an analog lover it was just incredible.

pmh
post #4513 of 12292 Old 03-29-2013, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

Nope. I wont say your are wrong, I will just ask how much money you want to bet. wink.gif

You cannot do bass steering in Pure Direct and Direct mode since your speakers are always treated as Large.
You CAN set Bass management LFE+Main and the bass from the mains will ALSO be sent to the Sub Pure Direct and Direct modes.
Note: I am running the latest firmware. Bass LFE+Main sends output to my sub for all inputs EXCEPT the 7.1 analog inputs.

I have my remote programmed to the status command which shows information in the larger LCD. This accurately displays the output channels.
The sub lights up, confirming this FACT.

- Rich

I stated in an earlier post on this that it does indicate that the sub is indeed on when set to LFE+Main, however there is no out put in "Pure direct' via XLR, did you manually turn the sub up or down to confirm? I did and there was no output tongue.gif

So if you still want to lose your money I'll take it biggrin.gif
post #4514 of 12292 Old 03-29-2013, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post

Go back and count how many say this happened to them.
Estimate how many hundreds are in service now.
Estimate how may of the ones with problems could have been due to errors out of their (Marantz) control.
Consider how many other units they have in service using identical models and methods.

I contend the error's are nominal. I have sold lots of the 8801's. Not one of my customers has reported a problem.

"POS" is unreasonable to say the least. I've spent all my adult life with IT products from high end routers on cell sites to simple PC cards. I've seen plenty of them fail firmware updates.

+1, I did my update as soon as it was posted here , it took all of 43min which seems to be the normal time for Marantz updates, its was after midnight and all went well .

The advice seems good to me to wait a couple of days or check to see the length of time required for the install anything, over 43-45 min or say in the 70's might be a good indicator there servers are bogged down, as with all firmware updates its best to have the mind set its the equivalent of open brain surgery and one should always err on the side of caution wink.gif
post #4515 of 12292 Old 03-29-2013, 01:53 PM

+1

JohnPSC
post #4516 of 12292 Old 03-29-2013, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
I haven't been following this thread lately, but surprised by the bricking. I did all the updates, including the most recent one last week, over wireless to a bridge. No issues. I did it at about 10 in the morning PST.

post #4517 of 12292 Old 03-29-2013, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

I stated in an earlier post on this that it does indicate that the sub is indeed on when set to LFE+Main, however there is no out put in "Pure direct' via XLR, did you manually turn the sub up or down to confirm? I did and there was no output tongue.gif

So if you still want to lose your money I'll take it biggrin.gif

I put my hand on the sub. It was rumbly wink.gif

Did you upgrade the firmware?

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A21 & A31 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #4518 of 12292 Old 03-29-2013, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I put my hand on the sub. It was rumbly wink.gif

Did you upgrade the firmware?

- Rich

Yep! hand on the sub as well, you may want to check and the mode your using as that shouldn't be the case in" Pure Direct" or "Direct " via the XLR input , are you still engaging the game mode?

Here's something to try assign the XLR to the "CD" input ( which I renamed Oppo XLR and is always set to "Pure direct" when I use the 105 for stereo to tap the Sabre dac) you can still use the Bluray input for Hdmi or set it to 7.1 analog . using the 8801's remote pressing the "Pure" button will toggle you between Auto>Direct>Pure Direct with the latter indicated by the red light behind the flip down panel, now when the volume is turned up or down the momentary flash will show FL/FL&Sub icon ( in Pure direct) but the its only a status of the configuration and not an indicator that the sub is actually engaged in the Direct or Pure direct modes but is engaged in the Auto (which can also toggle through and other various processing schemes adding like Audyssey, pro logic II etc etc while using the XLR inputs) mode which is why its indicator light says there is a sub present.

give it a shot you may find you prefer the XLR inputs after all over the 7.1 as its indeed the best way to hear the 105's superb analog outs performance with a pre/pro in the chain wink.gif
post #4519 of 12292 Old 03-29-2013, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yep! hand on the sub as well, you may want to check and the mode your using as that shouldn't be the case in" Pure Direct" or "Direct " via the XLR input , are you still engaging the game mode?

Here's something to try assign the XLR to the "CD" input ( which I renamed Oppo XLR and is always set to "Pure direct" when I use the 105 for stereo to tap the Sabre dac) you can still use the Bluray input for Hdmi or set it to 7.1 analog . using the 8801's remote pressing the "Pure" button will toggle you between Auto>Direct>Pure Direct with the latter indicated by the red light behind the flip down panel, now when the volume is turned up or down the momentary flash will show FL/FL&Sub icon ( in Pure direct) but the its only a status of the configuration and not an indicator that the sub is actually engaged in the Direct or Pure direct modes but is engaged in the Auto (which can also toggle through and other various processing schemes adding like Audyssey, pro logic II etc etc while using the XLR inputs) mode which is why its indicator light says there is a sub present.

give it a shot you may find you prefer the XLR inputs after all over the 7.1 as its indeed the best way to hear the 105's superb analog outs performance with a pre/pro in the chain wink.gif

I have the XLR applied to my Blu-Ray input and I am using Game mode. Perhaps this is a difference that matters.
I cannot test now because the kids are in possession of the HT.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A21 & A31 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #4520 of 12292 Old 03-29-2013, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have the XLR applied to my Blu-Ray input and I am using Game mode. Perhaps this is a difference that matters.
I cannot test now because the kids are in possession of the HT.

- Rich

Indeed I can confirm you are using the sub in the game mode as it enables processing through the 8801, as when I tried yuor configuration a while back its does sound a bit better than the other processing modes I would say smoother sounding but non the less a processed signal, great thing is when you test the settings out be sure to use the 8801's remote as you will be able to make on the fly comparisons between all of them hdmi,7.1,game ,direct and Pure direct and be sure to keep the front panel down to see the red light for Pure Direct beit 7.1 or Xlr.

have fun as it should give you more of that "direct analog" sound that you and I both love about the 105 smile.gif
post #4521 of 12292 Old 03-29-2013, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

For those using the the built in internet router, bridge or whatever they call it on the 8801, what are you feeding it to?
I was thinking of hooking up an ATV to it as well as a PS3 but not sure if there is any limitations on it.

I assume its a 10/100 and not a 10/100/100 port on the 8801 but nothing on the website says so.
post #4522 of 12292 Old 03-29-2013, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For those using the the built in internet router, bridge or whatever they call it on the 8801, what are you feeding it to?
I was thinking of hooking up an ATV to it as well as a PS3 but not sure if there is any limitations on it.

I assume its a 10/100 and not a 10/100/100 port on the 8801 but nothing on the website says so.

I use it on my Oppo 105 for Netflix streaming and it works well and looks great, I haven't gotten around to comparing it to the Oppo wired straight to the connection but will try it at some point to see if there are indeed limitations!
post #4523 of 12292 Old 03-29-2013, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter
exm
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbug2 View Post

If you spent most of your life with computers, you know nothing that involves computer electronics is perfect: PCs/Macs/Laptops, cars, Marantz AV8801, etc. There is a handful of reported problems which shouldn't prevent you from a purchase of this unit. I haven't heard any bad things about Marantz customer service so I feel comfortable applying any update or owning a Marantz unit.
post #4524 of 12292 Old 03-29-2013, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post

If you spent most of your life with computers, you know nothing that involves computer electronics is perfect: PCs/Macs/Laptops, cars, Marantz AV8801, etc. There is a handful of reported problems which shouldn't prevent you from a purchase of this unit. I haven't heard any bad things about Marantz customer service so I feel comfortable applying any update or owning a Marantz unit.

Absolutely.

Marantz Tech support has been very good.
I am not sure, but I think there was only 1 or 3 failures in the update process that resulted in service.

Mine went without any problems.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

post #4525 of 12292 Old 03-29-2013, 09:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Its also a good idea to not try firmware updates when there is a world wide attack on the internet that's slowing things down.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, VideoForge HDMI II, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #4526 of 12292 Old 03-29-2013, 10:55 PM

Performed an update last night though it took about 60 minutes to complete. The firmwere downloaded in a few miniutes and the rest of the time was spent updating.

My AV8801 is directly connected to a Netgear GS608 gigabit switch, which in turn has an uplink directly connected to a Billion 7800N Gigabit router.  No problems updating through multi-layer, multi-manufacturer switches.

post #4527 of 12292 Old 03-30-2013, 12:18 AM

Anybody having problems with the triggers after updating the firmware? Mine are not triggering my amps anymore. Triggers are showing1.2 v before turning the 8801 and then showing 7.6 v at turn on and thereafter. When the 8801 is turned off the voltage slowly drops to 1.2 v (both triggers)

Any ideas would be much appreciated. The update went fine and everything else is working great. Actually the random popping from the speakers when playing flac files directly to the 8801 from the NAS has been fixed.

Brian
post #4528 of 12292 Old 03-30-2013, 07:02 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked: 1781
Check to see if HDMI Control is set to ON as that may keep the triggers from operating correctly.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Direct line 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST daily
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4529 of 12292 Old 03-30-2013, 07:45 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Indeed I can confirm you are using the sub in the game mode as it enables processing through the 8801, as when I tried yuor configuration a while back its does sound a bit better than the other processing modes I would say smoother sounding but non the less a processed signal, great thing is when you test the settings out be sure to use the 8801's remote as you will be able to make on the fly comparisons between all of them hdmi,7.1,game ,direct and Pure direct and be sure to keep the front panel down to see the red light for Pure Direct beit 7.1 or Xlr.

have fun as it should give you more of that "direct analog" sound that you and I both love about the 105 smile.gif

Grr! Argh! Brain is breaking...

You two (and maybe others) keep confusing the heck out of me! (I know you're not trying to...).

But I think someone is comparing apples and oranges. There are too many variables being switched for an A/B comparison. For example, Game vs Direct vs Pure Direct does not make sense. Game is a video mode - so it's independent of Direct vs Pure Direct sound modes. And other talk about using "Auto" as the only way to achieve a certain sound also makes no sense. "Auto" will pick a particular input and/or sound-mode - but you can get that exact same input or sound-mode via manual, direct selections.

SO - what exactly are you guys comparing here? And under what circumstance do you want to verify that the sub is actually used?
post #4530 of 12292 Old 03-30-2013, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Its also a good idea to not try firmware updates when there is a world wide attack on the internet that's slowing things down.

Not sure if normal people know that 'we' are under attack smile.gif. Its amazing how well the internet is doing at the moment if you ask me.

Daniel.

for men to evolve we have to upgrade
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Ken Kreisel Dxd 12012 Subwoofer , Marantz Av8801 , Receivers Amplifiers , Audyssey , Integra
Gear in this thread - Av8801 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page