Forum Jump: 

post #4861 of 11874 Old 04-10-2013, 11:00 AM

Location: San Diego County, southern California, USA, Planet Earth
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
I have a parrot that can produce the test tone perfect so I have get him out of the house...

I would love to see THAT on YouTube!

Edwin R. Hurd
AVS Forums Lurker-In-Training!

My Tight-space A/V Setup
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4862 of 11874 Old 04-10-2013, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1usedcomp View Post

I used the mic that came with each unit I will run audyssey again later this week or this weekend I have a parrot that can produce the test tone perfect so I have get him out of the house biggrin.gif

I think once you get your settings straightened out you'll be fine. I found that the 8801 is more revealing to what you have upstream. Good media sounds great and bad media sounds even worse than it did before. Female vocals are one of the hardest things to reproduce and it has to be a good recording or the 8801 will expose it for what it is. I'm almost afraid to ask what female vocalist your listening too biggrin.gif Are you using an amp that's comparable power wise to the Denon? How are you connected to your amp? What frequency did Audyssey cross your mains at?
post #4863 of 11874 Old 04-10-2013, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

I think once you get your settings straightened out you'll be fine. I found that the 8801 is more revealing to what you have upstream. Good media sounds great and bad media sounds even worse than it did before. Female vocals are one of the hardest things to reproduce and it has to be a good recording or the 8801 will expose it for what it is. I'm almost afraid to ask what female vocalist your listening too biggrin.gif Are you using an amp that's comparable power wise to the Denon? How are you connected to your amp? What frequency did Audyssey cross your mains at?

I'm playing SACD's and the gear I'm using is listed below including the amp " I'm almost afraid to ask what female vocalist your listening too " Norah Jones is one of them

Im connected to the amp with 5 Audioquest Colorado's RCA I also used the 4520 as Pre and used my D Sonic Amp just as I did with the 8801 80 on the mains

Preamp: NOS Valves NBS Preamplifier
Selah Tempestas
BMC Pure Dac - Mac Mini
VPI Classic 2
post #4864 of 11874 Old 04-10-2013, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:

I had audyssey set up on both from the start sorry I wasn't clear on that audyssey and bssic setup I still hear the 8801 being brighter not clearer

Is your player set to "bitstream" or "LPCM" over hdmi and also is it set to DSD or PCM for sacd playback ? and one more thing to check is the addition of additional processing to the signal in the 8801, as mention in another post pressing the movie button on the remote , this should read out "Multi/Ch on the display if it says anything else "virtual" or the like its additional processing!

If using Audyssey try Dynamic EQ and 0,5,10 or up to 15 and turn Dynamic volume off, another one to try is Bypassing the FR/FL and Audyssey all else!
Post your findings !
post #4865 of 11874 Old 04-10-2013, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

This is a feature on the Denon AVRs only.

So there is no way to adjust sub levels on 2 channel inputs like streamed music (network), or CD, without also affecting the sub levels on other inputs like Blu-ray, DVD, etc? I mean if one raises the sub level on one input source like CD, does it raise the levels globally on all inputs sources?

If it does, that sucks! If this is the case, then I will not be able to enjoy music through this pre/pro, as the bass will be so weak that the music just won't have any heft to it.
post #4866 of 11874 Old 04-10-2013, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm playing SACD's and the gear I'm using is listed below including the amp " I'm almost afraid to ask what female vocalist your listening too " Norah Jones is one of them

Im connected to the amp with 5 Audioquest Colorado's RCA I also used the 4520 as Pre and used my D Sonic Amp just as I did with the 8801 80 on the mains

I think it's just a matter of being patient till you get it right. Run Audyssey (not the parrot) again and see what you think. The female vocalist thing was a joke and Norah Jones has a good voice. I'm using the mobile version right now so your list isn't showing up.
post #4867 of 11874 Old 04-10-2013, 12:15 PM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeah32 View Post

So there is no way to adjust sub levels on 2 channel inputs like streamed music (network), or CD, without also affecting the sub levels on other inputs like Blu-ray, DVD, etc? I mean if one raises the sub level on one input source like CD, does it raise the levels globally on all inputs sources?

If it does, that sucks! If this is the case, then I will not be able to enjoy music through this pre/pro, as the bass will be so weak that the music just won't have any heft to it.

Greetings,

When you listen to two channel music try going into the setup for the speakers under Bass and set it to LFE+Main. See if that improves things..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #4868 of 11874 Old 04-10-2013, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I miss that setup feature on my Anthem as well the ability to configure playback setups for movies and music was indeed a plus! A simple workaround is to simply go into the speaker configuration and set the LFE to LFE+Main this is of course assuming you have your mains set to large ?
post #4869 of 11874 Old 04-10-2013, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

Is your player set to "bitstream" or "LPCM" over hdmi and also is it set to DSD or PCM for sacd playback ? and one more thing to check is the addition of additional processing to the signal in the 8801, as mention in another post pressing the movie button on the remote , this should read out "Multi/Ch on the display if it says anything else "virtual" or the like its additional processing!

If using Audyssey try Dynamic EQ and 0,5,10 or up to 15 and turn Dynamic volume off, another one to try is Bypassing the FR/FL and Audyssey all else!
Post your findings !

The player under audio is set to bitstream and dynamic range compression auto/on and its on auto DSD PCM I don't see on the player unless you mean the 8801

Im lost on the movie button , do you mean Music ? and yes it reads multi ch stereo when pushed

Selah Tempestas
BMC Pure Dac - Mac Mini
VPI Classic 2
post #4870 of 11874 Old 04-10-2013, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Okay If I push the disc layer button on the remote for the player I can pick SACD and now when I hit the info on the 8801 remote it shows DSD Direct and SACD and sound real decent
biggrin.gif

Selah Tempestas
BMC Pure Dac - Mac Mini
VPI Classic 2
post #4871 of 11874 Old 04-10-2013, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The player under audio is set to bitstream and dynamic range compression auto/on and its on auto DSD PCM I don't see on the player unless you mean the 8801

Im lost on the movie button , do you mean Music ? and yes it reads multi ch stereo when pushed

Use explicit settings in the player set it to DSD for sacd playback and "bitstream" for the Hdmi out in the player as well and also turn off any dynamic compression ( this is all in the player)

As for the 8801, on its remote there is a "Music" "Movie" "Game" and "Pure" playback modes, use "Movie" as it allows direct processing of Multi/ch signals from the player be it the Hi Res codecs (DTS Master/ Dolby True) or in this case its Multi/CH DSD, you can still choose to apply Audyssey or not as the 8801 will allow you to do this to the native DSD signal ! This is the HDMI equivalent of using the analog multi ch inputs from a player for straight DSD playback , keep in mind to remember to check the display to see only Multi/Ch input ,Audyssey and DSD on the display to confirm wink.gif
post #4872 of 11874 Old 04-10-2013, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Okay If I push the disc layer button on the remote for the player I can pick SACD and now when I hit the info on the 8801 remote it shows DSD Direct and SACD and sound real decent
biggrin.gif

Sweet! its a beast on all signals it handles for multi/ch and has regulated my Oppo 105 to 2/CH playback eek.gif when setup is done correctly and more than three runs of Audyssey have been performed its almost untouchable biggrin.gif
post #4873 of 11874 Old 04-10-2013, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sweet! its a beast on all signals it handles for multi/ch and has regulated my Oppo 105 to 2/CH playback eek.gif when setup is done correctly and more than three runs of Audyssey have been performed its almost untouchable biggrin.gif

dynamic compression is off now didn't see that option - bitstream /HDMI but I don't see DSD for sacd playback anywhere ?

when I push movie I only get Stereo Multi Ch In Multi Ch Stereo Virtual same when I push Music

If I push Pure I get DSD Direct and DSD Pure Direct

Selah Tempestas
BMC Pure Dac - Mac Mini
VPI Classic 2
post #4874 of 11874 Old 04-10-2013, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

dynamic compression is off now didn't see that option - bitstream /HDMI but I don't see DSD for sacd playback anywhere ?

when I push movie I only get Stereo Multi Ch In Multi Ch Stereo Virtual same when I push Music

If I push Pure I get DSD Direct and DSD Pure Direct

There's no option for sacd playback in the player that says DSD or PCM? if you get DSD by pressing the Audio button on your player then maybe thats it, or is that only for the sacd layer?

As for the "movie" button just toggle between it and "music' or any other, as there are times it won't lock and will do one of the other virtual modes, the toggling helps it to lock on to multi/ch input , just be sure to confirm on the 8801's display from time to time to insure its DSD.
post #4875 of 11874 Old 04-10-2013, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

There's no option for sacd playback in the player that says DSD or PCM? if you get DSD by pressing the Audio button on your player then maybe thats it, or is that only for the sacd layer?

As for the "movie" button just toggle between it and "music' or any other, as there are times it won't lock and will do one of the other virtual modes, the toggling helps it to lock on to multi/ch input , just be sure to confirm on the 8801's display from time to time to insure its DSD.

Im going to have to do some reading I cant get DSD on Movie or Music only if I hit the Pure button . The player has no option for DSD but the remote has a pure button av pure and pure 1 2 3 etc

Selah Tempestas
BMC Pure Dac - Mac Mini
VPI Classic 2
post #4876 of 11874 Old 04-10-2013, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Im going to have to do some reading I cant get DSD on Movie or Music only if I hit the Pure button . The player has no option for DSD but the remote has a pure button av pure and pure 1 2 3 etc

I should point out the DSD read out on the 8801's display behind the panel is in a small box only multi/ch input is large.
can your Denon player pass a" Native DSD" signal over hdmi ? or does it convert it to LPCM first?
post #4877 of 11874 Old 04-10-2013, 02:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:

I have a parrot that can produce the test tone perfect so I have get him out of the house biggrin.gif

Can you teach him the Audyssey sweep tones?

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #4878 of 11874 Old 04-10-2013, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

I cant get DSD on Music or Movie only using the pure botton

Audiofan1 do you have an 8801 ?

Selah Tempestas
BMC Pure Dac - Mac Mini
VPI Classic 2
post #4879 of 11874 Old 04-10-2013, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Can you teach him the Audyssey sweep tones?

He knows enough drives me crazy

Selah Tempestas
BMC Pure Dac - Mac Mini
VPI Classic 2
post #4880 of 11874 Old 04-10-2013, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

He knows enough drives me crazy

That is funny, I'd love to hear it.
post #4881 of 11874 Old 04-10-2013, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I haven't noticed that the marantz is thin at all. I ran audyssey of course right off the bat. I enjoy all my speakers I except my huge subs were not bassy enough for me. I still can get over that my marantz still cost $430 more. I think I might sell or return the marantz. I'll sleep on it.
post #4882 of 11874 Old 04-10-2013, 08:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmonkey View Post

How good is the headphone output on the AV8801? I wonder if it will be usefull with a pair of Sennheiser HD700.

The headphone output is o.k. but if I want top quality listening, I'd still use my headphone amp.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #4883 of 11874 Old 04-10-2013, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I cant get DSD on Music or Movie only using the pure botton

Audiofan1 do you have an 8801 ?

Yes I have the 8801 and my source player is the Oppo 105.The read out you are seeing is for the Pure mode which will bypass all Audyssey , bass mgnt and distance settings . I'm sure you pressed the pure button on the 8801's remote to get there.

So you can better understand what I'm trying to explain here's what to do step by step.

1.) walk over to the 8801 and flip down the front panel and play an sacd as you always do.
2.) while the music is playing select the multi/ch layer of the sacd on the Denon
3.) using the 8801's remote press the Movie button, the display behind the front panel (not the on screen) should now say Multi CH IN and if you look just above you will see from ( left to right) HDMI , DIG, DSD and Audyssey.

Don't use the on screen display to see this unless you go into the 8801's setup menu and then to General and then to information and select audio and it will display Sound mode /Multi CH IN, Input signal/DSD, and Format/ 3/2/.1
post #4884 of 11874 Old 04-10-2013, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

When you listen to two channel music try going into the setup for the speakers under Bass and set it to LFE+Main. See if that improves things..

Regards,

Quote:

I miss that setup feature on my Anthem as well the ability to configure playback setups for movies and music was indeed a plus! A simple workaround is to simply go into the speaker configuration and set the LFE to LFE+Main this is of course assuming you have your mains set to large ?

Thanks for the tip guys, I will try this and see how it sounds.wink.gif
post #4885 of 11874 Old 04-10-2013, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

I did a first run of Audyssey today, just to see what it was going to do. As far as speaker distance placement, the results were almost spot on. As far as the other things, it set the crossovers at:

Front 40Hz
Center 60Hz
Surround 60Hz
Surround Back 80Hz

And the Levels at:

Front L - 3.0db
Front R - 2.5db
Center 0.0db
Subwoofer 1 - 10db
Subwoofer 2 - 10db

When it did the first mic placement calibration, it told me my subs were set too high and needed to be lowered (I set both my subs volume control to the 12 O clock position before I started). It mentioned something about sub leveling, and had an option to select that. I did, and it said to lower the subwoofer volume knob until it showed 75db. I did this, but in order to reach that db I had to lower the volume knob down to 2 on sub 1 and down to 4 on sub 2 (they go from 0-10) . The channel level it set for LFE was -10 for both subs.

At these settings the bass output is pathetic! Nearly non existent bass with it set at these levels and settings. So what do you guys recommend? Should I set my subs volume control up to the 12 O clock position (half point) on my next try, and just go past the sub leveling option? I want bass!

Thanks in advance guys.
post #4886 of 11874 Old 04-11-2013, 01:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I did a first run of Audyssey today, just to see what it was going to do. As far as speaker distance placement, the results were almost spot on. As far as the other things, it set the crossovers at:

Front 40Hz
Center 60Hz
Surround 60Hz
Surround Back 80Hz

And the Levels at:

Front L - 3.0db
Front R - 2.5db
Center 0.0db
Subwoofer 1 - 10db
Subwoofer 2 - 10db

When it did the first mic placement calibration, it told me my subs were set too high and needed to be lowered (I set both my subs volume control to the 12 O clock position before I started). It mentioned something about sub leveling, and had an option to select that. I did, and it said to lower the subwoofer volume knob until it showed 75db. I did this, but in order to reach that db I had to lower the volume knob down to 2 on sub 1 and down to 4 on sub 2 (they go from 0-10) . The channel level it set for LFE was -10 for both subs.

At these settings the bass output is pathetic! Nearly non existent bass with it set at these levels and settings. So what do you guys recommend? Should I set my subs volume control up to the 12 O clock position (half point) on my next try, and just go past the sub leveling option? I want bass!

Thanks in advance guys.

Your levels are fine! Its most likely accurate bass, however we bass lovers must have both biggrin.gif I sometimes use Dynamic EQ set to 0 for movies and 5 for music it seems to make the bass world right 90% of the time, but the thing is it also boost the surrounds as well.
So that means the next best thing is to bump up the sub level in the 8801 say +2db or to +6db from the Audyssey ref level ( sometimes a .5 increase can do wonders) access is easy the Audio settings menu , it just about as close as we can get to an on the fly level adjustment sub only of course but its the one you will adjust more than the others!

have fun!
post #4887 of 11874 Old 04-11-2013, 01:31 AM

Liked: 21
I have the AV8801 now. With Squeezebox Touch and FLAC material, I really like the 7.1 input in Pure Direct Mode. It has more airy sound than CD input # 5. I've noticed that CD input compresses the transient/dynamic response. Also, I didn't like the sub in the loop.

I will avoid running the Audissey, until I'll have a chance to properly place my speakers and the sub.

At this point I'm a bit overwhelmed with all of the movie modes. The manual really sucks... I wish there was a better user's guide to help explain all of the modes and offer best practice examples.

- Alex
post #4888 of 11874 Old 04-11-2013, 02:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlxG View Post

I have the AV8801 now. With Squeezebox Touch and FLAC material, I really like the 7.1 input in Pure Direct Mode. It has more airy sound than CD input # 5. I've noticed that CD input compresses the transient/dynamic response. Also, I didn't like the sub in the loop.

I will avoid running the Audissey, until I'll have a chance to properly place my speakers and the sub.

At this point I'm a bit overwhelmed with all of the movie modes. The manual really sucks... I wish there was a better user's guide to help explain all of the modes and offer best practice examples.

Congrats! keep trying the the different modes and further experimentation as your doing and you'll love its tremendous flexibility to playback various sources at reference wink.gif
post #4889 of 11874 Old 04-11-2013, 02:32 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 1333
Quote:

Thanks in advance guys.

Keep in mind that the AVR will set the speakers/sub to "reference" level volume. Although most likely prefer to bump that sub level +5db using the "Subwoofer Level" setting (p. 120 OM), before jumping into your former "bass" heavy mode, try listening as is to this new "reference" level a couple of weeks before you bump that bass to suit your "preference". Some actually learn they prefer "reference" over "preference". smile.gif

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4890 of 11874 Old 04-11-2013, 04:41 AM

Liked: 10
Guys,
I'm planning to upgrade to the AV8801 pre/pro from my current Pioneer SC-LX86 receiver. I'm currently running 9-channels in my set up. I can't decide whether to get the MM8077 and MM7025 power amps or 2 units of MM7055 power amp to power my 9-channels. The AV8801 and 2xMM7055 combo is cheaper by around $560. Will there be a significant difference in sound quality between the MM8077 and MM7055? Thanks!!! smile.gif
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Ken Kreisel Dxd 12012 Subwoofer , Marantz Av8801 , Receivers Amplifiers , Audyssey , Integra
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page