Forum Jump: 

post #5041 of 11980 Old 04-15-2013, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 362
There are a couple mentioned in the FAQ:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/795421/official-audyssey-thread-faq-in-post-1/51750#user_d1

Selden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5042 of 11980 Old 04-15-2013, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

It's not too difficult to find out.

1) Set up REW with 96 kHz sampling.
2) Feed it the analog from the SACD player
3) Find an SACD disc that contains audio >24 kHz (it could just be the HF noise you see, that's OK)
4) Connect the REW to the Marantz line out
5) Play the SACD into the Marantz, direct DSD mode, no EQ/bass management, etc

Does the >24 kHz content come out?
If so, good.
Turn on bass management. Does the >24 kHz content come out?
If so, it is converted to PCM at 96 kHz or better
If not, and looks "brickwalled" at ~22 kHz, it is downsampled to 48 kHz.

Can do the same with HD DTS/Dolby sources.

Thanks Roger and don't have REW; but hopefully one of the more technically inclined here does and can give it a go.
post #5043 of 11980 Old 04-15-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smackrabbit View Post

I only have the Marantz AV7701 (and the AV7005, which I own) around, but the same behavior happens with Audyssey on them. As soon as it is engaged, there's a brick wall at 24 kHz, and everything falls straight off. This is avoided by either disabling Audyssey, using the Direct and Pure Direct modes that disable it, or using the multichannel inputs that lack A/D/A converters and skip over Audyssey (at least on the AV7701, but I believe the AV8801 lacks A/D converters on multichannel as well). If any of these were done for the Home Theater measurement, then that 50 kHz measurement would fall right in line. Frankly, you don't want to measure a receiver or processor with Audyssey engaged, since the measurements would result in a very non-flat frequency response, and so you'd probably reset everything to scratch before doing the measurement, or at least I do.

So yes, both numbers can be right, from what David Vaughn found and what David Rich/Robert Kozel found. Now the question is determining what other features on the Marantz might trigger this same effect, and determining if its Audyssey that causes it, or anything that uses that DSP that Audyssey also uses that causes it. There could be a number of factors in play, which means a lot of testing for us to do.

Re - " There could be a number of factors in play, which means a lot of testing for us to do" will you be testing this with BM for LPCM hi res and Dolby/DTS HD high res titles?.
post #5044 of 11980 Old 04-15-2013, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 82
All measurements done by Home Theater are with Audyssey disabled.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #5045 of 11980 Old 04-15-2013, 03:06 PM

Location: San Diego County, southern California, USA, Planet Earth
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

There are a couple mentioned in the FAQ:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/795421/official-audyssey-thread-faq-in-post-1/51750#user_d1

Thanks for the info/link. Very helpful! Found exactly what I was looking for...

Edwin R. Hurd
AVS Forums Lurker-In-Training!

My Tight-space A/V Setup
post #5046 of 11980 Old 04-15-2013, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 413
This is where having good room treatments and well placed speakers pay off and why its part of building blocks of good sound reproduction and why one shouldn't completely rely on one thing to bear the burden of said reproduction to get the job done (Audyssey alone!) this is all about "system synergy" so if you want your cake and eat it too! time to get some bass traps and get those first refection points under control and enjoy those hires sampling rates I'm not will to part with for 2/ch playback on usb, sacd or pc ! till this gets hashed I'm set !

"Don't hold me to this" biggrin.gif I for one don't believe its a Dsp processing limitation in the 8801 or any other processor with Dsp RC, but the way the software was written in the first place and implemented , it still sounds good but on the bright side its good to know it can still sound better yet! wink.gif
post #5047 of 11980 Old 04-15-2013, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I have a question regarding connection that maybe you guys can advise me on.

I have (and LOVE) my Denon A1UDCI Universal Blu-ray player, and I want to use it. But I want to connect it using the dual HDMI outs that is has. On this player I have HDMI 1 configured for video only (no sound), and HDMI out 2 configured for audio only (no picture). The AV8801 requires the use of the GUI menu driven Setup Assistant to connect any new device.

In the setup assistant input set up, it asks to select which type of video input is to be used. Naturally it will be HDMI, but will it work if it's getting an audio only signal? I have not tried to connect it yet, and would like to know if I can do it this way?

Thanks in advance.smile.gif

Seth
post #5048 of 11980 Old 04-15-2013, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeah32 View Post

I have a question regarding connection that maybe you guys can advise me on.

I have (and LOVE) my Denon A1UDCI Universal Blu-ray player, and I want to use it. But I want to connect it using the dual HDMI outs that is has. On this player I have HDMI 1 configured for video only (no sound), and HDMI out 2 configured for audio only (no picture). The AV8801 requires the use of the GUI menu driven Setup Assistant to connect any new device.

In the setup assistant input set up, it asks to select which type of video input is to be used. Naturally it will be HDMI, but will it work if it's getting an audio only signal? I have not tried to connect it yet, and would like to know if I can do it this way?

Thanks in advance.smile.gif

Seth

I'm not sure if this helps but I use the hdmi 1 from my Oppo 105 directly to my display and the hdmi 2 from the 105 to the 8801 for audio only using the Blu Ray input, I set the 105 to split A/V.

hope this helps smile.gif
post #5049 of 11980 Old 04-15-2013, 04:33 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1412
Quote:
Originally Posted by denaliman View Post

Yes I can see the front display on the unit. I will need to get a 100 ft Cat5. UPDATE: I just unplugged all my HDMI cables, re-plugged them, removed the HDMI cable going to HDMI- port 1 into my Panny and put it in the Panny HDMI port 2 and now it works. Seems to be an issue the the HDMI-1 port on the Panny. Strange because it was running fine before on the HDMI input. Thanks to All for helping. I am hoping this doesn't turn into a common issue. The Panny and all my other components are up to date with firmware since they can use wireless connections.

Just a reminder for those with a North American (USA/CA) 8801 having difficulty with the firmware update ...

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1431914/marantz-av8801-preamp-processor-official-owners-thread/4200_100#post_23116059
denaliman likes this.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #5050 of 11980 Old 04-15-2013, 05:45 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbar View Post

I think Audyssey may be a red herring as one could do manual Eq,

You can manually EQ the frequencies but there is no way you can do any manual EQ in the time domain. Audyssey did not EQ much for me on the frequency side from what I can see but it might have done more in the time domain. Unfortunately there is no display to show that side of things, probably too complicated and too much information to display practically speaking.
post #5051 of 11980 Old 04-15-2013, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

I'm not sure if this helps but I use the hdmi 1 from my Oppo 105 directly to my display and the hdmi 2 from the 105 to the 8801 for audio only using the Blu Ray input, I set the 105 to split A/V.

hope this helps smile.gif

Thanks for the input.smile.gif I will try it out tomorrow and see how it goes.
post #5052 of 11980 Old 04-15-2013, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Just a reminder for those with a North American (USA/CA) 8801 having difficulty with the firmware update ...

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1431914/marantz-av8801-preamp-processor-official-owners-thread/4200_100#post_23116059

This is why I have not yet updated the firmware on mine. I may even wait until the next update becomes available before I try it. I would hate to brick my new unit, as it's working perfectly right now.

Just so I know, is there a way to completely power down the 8801 other than unplugging it? And is there a way to do a reset on the unit in the event something goes wonky with it?
post #5053 of 11980 Old 04-15-2013, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is why I have not yet updated the firmware on mine. I may even wait until the next update becomes available before I try it. I would hate to brick my new unit, as it's working perfectly right now.

Just so I know, is there a way to completely power down the 8801 other than unplugging it? And is there a way to do a reset on the unit in the event something goes wonky with it?

Do your updates late at night! The estimated time should be around 45min, if it says more than that by a great sum say 75 or more then I'd be hesitant.
post #5054 of 11980 Old 04-15-2013, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Well I did a bit of experimenting today with 2 channel stereo listening. The other day I did as was recommended for improved bass by setting the bass to LFE+Main. This did help a bit, but it still was a lot weaker in the bass than what I was used to hearing on my Denon AVP.

So I tried something just for the heck of it. I know that Audyssey adjusted and set the levels where it found them to be the most accurate according to my room. Now accurate isn't always what one finds ear pleasing. So I streamed some music from my Windows 7 PC using Windows Media Player, and listening in stereo mode I raised the subwoofer levels to where I was pretty happy with it. I then stopped playback and switched to the Blu-ray input that is set to PLIIx movie, and since that is muti-channel and not stereo I checked if the SW levels had also changed to where I set them at on the Network input (stereo).

Well, to my surprise the SW levels on the Blu-ray input in PLIIx mode were right where Audyssey set them! I immediately went back to the Network input and checked the SW levels there, and they stayed right where I set them at!smile.gif If these settings stay right where they're at right now, I am going to be very happy.smile.gif This will solve my issues with weak bass on music, and will not affect the settings I have for movie playback.

Another interesting thing is how I preferred having Audyssey turned on when listening to 2 channel stereo. On my Denon AVP I never listened to music with Audyssey engaged, as I just didn't like they way it sounded. With the 8801 it's a totally different story, Audyssey seems to add a richness to the sound, with the soundstage being fuller with more bass kick. In contrast, Audyssey switched off made the sound flat by comparison. I never thought I would like listening to music with Audyssey, but I like what I'm hearing.smile.gif

Seth
post #5055 of 11980 Old 04-15-2013, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

Do your updates late at night! The estimated time should be around 45min, if it says more than that by a great sum say 75 or more then I'd be hesitant.

I'll wait.smile.gif There really isn't anything in this update that I really need.
post #5056 of 11980 Old 04-15-2013, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well I did a bit of experimenting today with 2 channel stereo listening. The other day I did as was recommended for improved bass by setting the bass to LFE+Main. This did help a bit, but it still was a lot weaker in the bass than what I was used to hearing on my Denon AVP.

So I tried something just for the heck of it. I know that Audyssey adjusted and set the levels where it found them to be the most accurate according to my room. Now accurate isn't always what one finds ear pleasing. So I streamed some music from my Windows 7 PC using Windows Media Player, and listening in stereo mode I raised the subwoofer levels to where I was pretty happy with it. I then stopped playback and switched to the Blu-ray input that is set to PLIIx movie, and since that is muti-channel and not stereo I checked if the SW levels had also changed to where I set them at on the Network input (stereo).

Well, to my surprise the SW levels on the Blu-ray input in PLIIx mode were right where Audyssey set them! I immediately went back to the Network input and checked the SW levels there, and they stayed right where I set them at!smile.gif If these settings stay right where they're at right now, I am going to be very happy.smile.gif This will solve my issues with weak bass on music, and will not affect the settings I have for movie playback.

Another interesting thing is how I preferred having Audyssey turned on when listening to 2 channel stereo. On my Denon AVP I never listened to music with Audyssey engaged, as I just didn't like they way it sounded. With the 8801 it's a totally different story, Audyssey seems to add a richness to the sound, with the soundstage being fuller with more bass kick. In contrast, Audyssey switched off made the sound flat by comparison. I never thought I would like listening to music with Audyssey, but I like what I'm hearing.smile.gif

Seth

Told you ! you where gonna have fun! wink.gif
post #5057 of 11980 Old 04-16-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avman09 View Post

You can manually EQ the frequencies but there is no way you can do any manual EQ in the time domain. Audyssey did not EQ much for me on the frequency side from what I can see but it might have done more in the time domain. Unfortunately there is no display to show that side of things, probably too complicated and too much information to display practically speaking.

Good Point, did not think of that.
post #5058 of 11980 Old 04-16-2013, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
These are already showing up everywhere brand new for like $1000 less than original retail price. There is no way this thing could be $2000 better than the AV7005. Marantz made a killing on this unit. LOL I only have one sub in my system, that's why I didn't buy the 8801. Otherwise, I may have forked out $3600 also. LOL
post #5059 of 11980 Old 04-16-2013, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter
exm
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhooper1963 View Post

These are already showing up everywhere brand new for like $1000 less than original retail price. There is no way this thing could be $2000 better than the AV7005. Marantz made a killing on this unit. LOL I only have one sub in my system, that's why I didn't buy the 8801. Otherwise, I may have forked out $3600 also. LOL

LOL to this post.
Dr_Mark and jrhooper1963 like this.
post #5060 of 11980 Old 04-16-2013, 07:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I didn't pay 3600.........

HTPC/Gaming Rig:
Silverstone CW02B, I7 3930K, 16GB, ASUS Rampage IV Formula
EVGA Signature Titan> 70 inch ELITE PRO-70X5FD
Auzen HDMI XFi> 7.2 via Marantz AV8801>Wyred4Sound, & Emotiva Amps>Paradigm 100'sV5, ADP590'sV5, 690v5, 20v5's, + Dual HSU-ULS15 Subs

Controlling: Two CX7000ES's via MyMovies
post #5061 of 11980 Old 04-16-2013, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 408
Quote:

These are already showing up everywhere brand new for like $1000 less than original retail price. There is no way this thing could be $2000 better than the AV7005. Marantz made a killing on this unit. LOL I only have one sub in my system, that's why I didn't buy the 8801. Otherwise, I may have forked out $3600 also. LOL[/quote

rolleyes.gif
post #5062 of 11980 Old 04-16-2013, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Added the 8801 to my harmony 1 remote, and for some odd reason it turns all all 4 zones when it powers up. The problem is it only turns off the MAIN zone when I power it off so the Marantz's round display still stays on with three lines indicating three zones are on. Anyone have a clue how to fix this?
post #5063 of 11980 Old 04-17-2013, 05:10 AM

Hi guys I wondering if this marantz have a particular problem to force the people to sell so many in audiogon and sealed?

Leo,
Saludos
My HT: B&W 804D fronts, HTM4D center, 805D rears, Classe CA-2300 Main amp, Preamp Stereo CLASSE CP800, Preamp Multi Channel Denon AVR 3310(center amp), Rotel RB1582 Surround Amp, Source Oppo BDP-95 screen Samsung 55" UE55d8000 SVS SB12-NSD
Stereo: B&W 804S fronts, Pre: Yamaha AVR...
post #5064 of 11980 Old 04-17-2013, 05:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by leo2498 View Post

Hi guys I wondering if this marantz have a particular problem to force the people to sell so many in audiogon and sealed?

Nothing wrong with the 8801 I love mine Make sure you buy from a Authorized Dealer

Preamp: NOS Valves NBS Preamplifier
Selah Tempestas
BMC Pure Dac - Mac Mini
VPI Classic 2
post #5065 of 11980 Old 04-17-2013, 05:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

LOL I'm not laughing with you eek.gif
jrhooper1963 likes this.

Selah Tempestas
BMC Pure Dac - Mac Mini
VPI Classic 2
post #5066 of 11980 Old 04-17-2013, 05:49 AM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzieP View Post

Added the 8801 to my harmony 1 remote, and for some odd reason it turns all all 4 zones when it powers up. The problem is it only turns off the MAIN zone when I power it off so the Marantz's round display still stays on with three lines indicating three zones are on. Anyone have a clue how to fix this?

Yep had the same problem. Don't program the on button in the configuration, just program it to choose the source. When you program a source the unit will automatically turn on to that source. I have mine set for input-Cab/SAT. Lots of threads on this here.

Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

The multi-zone power on/off problem was discussed way back in this thread. My recollection is that the solution was to turn the 8801 on by explicitly selecting the input you want to listen to. Doing that will turn on only the primary zone. Don't use the power-on button because it turns on all zones.
OzzieP likes this.
post #5067 of 11980 Old 04-17-2013, 05:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yep had the same problem. Don't program the on button in the configuration, just program it to choose the source. When you program a source the unit will automatically turn on to that source. I have mine set for input-Cab/SAT. Lots of threads on this here.

The multi-zone power on/off problem was discussed way back in this thread. My recollection is that the solution was to turn the 8801 on by explicitly selecting the input you want to listen to. Doing that will turn on only the primary zone. Don't use the power-on button because it turns on all zones.

Do you have a link to this post

Selah Tempestas
BMC Pure Dac - Mac Mini
VPI Classic 2
post #5068 of 11980 Old 04-17-2013, 06:37 AM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1usedcomp View Post

Quote:

Do you have a link to this post
He is correct. I had changed my previous Marantz with the 8801 and used the same (old) power on command. That powered on all zones as you describe. I changed my programmable remote's power on macro to use a source select command (SAT/CBL in my case). That causes a power on and only the main zone.
post #5069 of 11980 Old 04-17-2013, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post

He is correct. I had changed my previous Marantz with the 8801 and used the same (old) power on command. That powered on all zones as you describe. I changed my programmable remote's power on macro to use a source select command (SAT/CBL in my case). That causes a power on and only the main zone.

I'm looking for these settings and don't see them I have the Harmony One

Selah Tempestas
BMC Pure Dac - Mac Mini
VPI Classic 2
post #5070 of 11980 Old 04-17-2013, 07:33 AM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1usedcomp View Post

I'm looking for these settings and don't see them I have the Harmony One
I don't use Harmony so I can't help wit the detail but it's the command to choose a source. e.g. Blu-Ray, SAT, Game, Media Player, etc.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Ken Kreisel Dxd 12012 Subwoofer , Marantz Av8801 , Receivers Amplifiers , Audyssey , Integra
Gear in this thread - Av8801 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page