Forum Jump: 

post #5221 of 11940 Old 04-23-2013, 06:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

I agree, I did the same thing and hole punched it and put it in a binder. It's the size of an encyclopedia and a pain. For those of you that are too young to know what an encyclopedia is biggrin.gif

You don't need a stinky manual. Everything is self explanatory from the menu.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5222 of 11940 Old 04-23-2013, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I am OK with PDFs of manuals but the 8801 manual is cross referencing two other manuals which make it sluggish when scrolling on a Core i5 notebook with Intel HD4000 graphics even with 8GB of RAM
post #5223 of 11940 Old 04-23-2013, 10:19 PM

Liked: 11
Any possibility of Marantz adding the new Auro3D codex?
post #5224 of 11940 Old 04-24-2013, 06:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I have the manual on my iPad 128. smile.gif

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #5225 of 11940 Old 04-24-2013, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Mark View Post

I see no reason why a $3600 retail unit can't include a manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhurd View Post

It's little things like providing a printed manual for your customers is what matters (in case you're reading this, Marantz)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

+1

Regards,

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Call me old fashioned but I still like turning everything on, sitting back and reading an actual paper manual... But that's just me.

I agree with all of you. For $3600 they should print out the damn manual.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #5226 of 11940 Old 04-24-2013, 05:35 PM

Can someone tell me how I can access my computer iTunes and my netflix account without using my AppleTV.

I currently have the Apple TV hooked up to the Media input.

The 8801 states that it does "Airplay" which is Apple I believe.

I have the network connected and it is OK!

Greg
post #5227 of 11940 Old 04-24-2013, 07:20 PM

AirPlay is initiated from your Mac, iPhone, or iPad. Play music from one of those and the Marantz will show up automatically as one of the output selections. Look for the Airplay icon at the top of the screen near the volume slider. I was surprised that it was so easy and worked the first time...

C.
post #5228 of 11940 Old 04-25-2013, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Hey All:
I am in the market for a new Pre/Pro as my current Integra DHC-80.2 died of the dreadful HDMI board issue. I am out of warranty, so rather than paying out of pocket for the repair, I would rather put my funds towards a new unit. I wanted to ask everyone if there were any quirks or issues with this particular unit as I am a little gun shy. I have been burned by Integra twice, and will not be purchasing future equipment with them. I just want to ensure that the Marantz does not suffer from some quality issues as Integra does. Thanks in advance for the help.

ABS!NTH
PSN: ABS1NTH
XBL: ABSiNTH69
post #5229 of 11940 Old 04-25-2013, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 77
It isn't out of warranty...they will fix it.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #5230 of 11940 Old 04-25-2013, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Hey all. smile.gif Just got my 8801 after having used the AV7005 for about a year and a half. I powered up the 8801 and ... no HDMI video is to be found. I've already tried power cycling the 8801 and my plasma and still a no go.

Now here's the odd thing. I have a Panasonic TH-50PH10UK pro plasma with a 2-input HDMI card. The other HDMI input isn't working either. (I tried direct with the Oppo 983H I keep on hand for non-region 1 DVDs. wink.gif ) The 8801 being fed by my Oppo 95.

I just used this setup with the AV7005, so I know there's no other problem other than inserting the 8801.

The few additional things I can think of to try is:

o I think I remember someone saying they had HDMI handshake issues so bad, they had to completely unplug the 8801 and their display, and then power them back up to get things working. I tried that with the 8801 this morning, and still no video. I will try my plasma tonight. I'm hoping the HDMI card is just "hung".

o A microprocessor reset of the 8801.

Anything else anyone can think of?

If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

KevinVision 7.1 ... Something old and something new :-)

post #5231 of 11940 Old 04-25-2013, 11:03 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABSiNTH View Post

Hey All:
I am in the market for a new Pre/Pro as my current Integra DHC-80.2 died of the dreadful HDMI board issue. I am out of warranty, so rather than paying out of pocket for the repair, I would rather put my funds towards a new unit. I wanted to ask everyone if there were any quirks or issues with this particular unit as I am a little gun shy. I have been burned by Integra twice, and will not be purchasing future equipment with them. I just want to ensure that the Marantz does not suffer from some quality issues as Integra does. Thanks in advance for the help.

Greetings,

It is probably a bit soon to tell with any long term issues however in the short term the unit seems solid..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #5232 of 11940 Old 04-25-2013, 11:08 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin C Brown View Post

Hey all. smile.gif Just got my 8801 after having used the AV7005 for about a year and a half. I powered up the 8801 and ... no HDMI video is to be found. I've already tried power cycling the 8801 and my plasma and still a no go.

Now here's the odd thing. I have a Panasonic TH-50PH10UK pro plasma with a 2-input HDMI card. The other HDMI input isn't working either. (I tried direct with the Oppo 983H I keep on hand for non-region 1 DVDs. wink.gif ) The 8801 being fed by my Oppo 95.

I just used this setup with the AV7005, so I know there's no other problem other than inserting the 8801.

o I think I remember someone saying they had HDMI handshake issues so bad, they had to completely unplug the 8801 and their display, and then power them back up to get things working. I tried that with the 8801 this morning, and still no video. I will try my plasma tonight. I'm hoping the HDMI card is just "hung".

Greetings,

Just to be sure there isn't a compatibility glitch with the Panasonic do you have another HDMI equipped display you can connect the Marantz to?

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #5233 of 11940 Old 04-25-2013, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^

No. I do have another HDMI card. But if the 8801 zapped the first card, I'm not going to be in a hurry to try the 2nd one until I try everything I can with the 1st card. smile.gif

If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

post #5234 of 11940 Old 04-25-2013, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

It is probably a bit soon to tell with any long term issues however in the short term the unit seems solid..

Regards,

Thanks a bunch brotha!

ABS!NTH
PSN: ABS1NTH
XBL: ABSiNTH69
post #5235 of 11940 Old 04-25-2013, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
With my Integra 80.2 , I find that the best stereo music from my music server is to send 88khz 24 bit PCM files to my Oppo 103 using JR River MC 18. I then send the music to my 80.2. This sounds fine. When I try to send the files to directly my 80.2 the music sounds harsh. I use the JR Remote to control what I listen to.

Does the Marantz 8801 play high quality music from DLNA files?

I am slowly evaluating the purchase of a 8801 in due time .
post #5236 of 11940 Old 04-25-2013, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Well after almost 200 pages of reading I have decided to pull the trigger and ordered a 8801. Should be ere Monday if all goes well.

Thanks to all the posters here, this sounds like a pretty damn amazing unit to have, look forward to putting it through the paces next weekend.

Marantz AV8801 / Rotel 2x RMB-1095 / RMB-1090 / Yamaha P7000S / Velodyne SMS-1 / DTech BP2000TL / DTech C/L/R 3000 / 4x - DTech BPVX/P Surrounds / DTech SM55 Heights / DTech SM65 Wides / SVS PB13 Ultra / 2x Buttkicker LFE / PTAE-8000U / Globalcache, iRule & Insteon.

Coffin Family Theater Build
post #5237 of 11940 Old 04-25-2013, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABSiNTH View Post

Hey All:

I've even seen posts where Onkyo has paid for repairs on out of warranty units. I'd at least give them a call and check it out. Worst thing that could happen would be them saying no. Best case you would have a unit to sell after it is repaired.
post #5238 of 11940 Old 04-26-2013, 12:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Need a solid. smile.gif

The problem I mentioned up above is indeed the 8801. It's not talking to my plasma over HDMI. The AV7005 still works fine. The 8801? Not so much.

Someone mentioned it's possible (but not easy) to upgrade the f/w with just the 8801's front panel display. I'm thinking/hoping that maybe there's some more HDMI handshakimg stuff in there that might (or might not) help me out. So if it's not too much trouble, if someone could kindly note down the steps, and what the front panel display says at each step, I'd be very grateful.

And I of course plan to call Marantz Fri and see what they say. I have the Panasonic TH-50PH10UK pro monitor with the TY-FB10HMD dual HDMI input card. ... Of which the combo is indeed should be HDCP compliant.

Thanks !!

post #5239 of 11940 Old 04-26-2013, 12:07 AM

Just added a "THOR 2013 Smart Power Station" to run my system and I must stress how much of a difference it makes...nothing short of incredible! Bottom end so much more extended, precise, sound stage focused razor sharp and top end, cymbals crashed and bells ring like they are in the room. I now realise how much electricity is needed on demand when playing even at moderate levels. Best investment par the Marantz 8801.
post #5240 of 11940 Old 04-26-2013, 12:34 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Congratulations Kevin! Wait... weren't you supposed to get the Outlaw 978 like I was planning to do. I see that you went with the same plan B as I did. biggrin.gif Enjoy.
post #5241 of 11940 Old 04-26-2013, 12:55 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Need a solid. smile.gif

The problem I mentioned up above is indeed the 8801. It's not talking to my plasma over HDMI. The AV7005 still works fine. The 8801? Not so much.

Someone mentioned it's possible (but not easy) to upgrade the f/w with just the 8801's front panel display. I'm thinking/hoping that maybe there's some more HDMI handshakimg stuff in there that might (or might not) help me out. So if it's not too much trouble, if someone could kindly note down the steps, and what the front panel display says at each step, I'd be very grateful.

And I of course plan to call Marantz Fri and see what they say. I have the Panasonic TH-50PH10UK pro monitor with the TY-FB10HMD dual HDMI input card. ... Of which the combo is indeed should be HDCP compliant.

Thanks !!

The AV8801 has at least one HDMI handshaking issue that I've experienced that seems to be caused by the EDID negotiation. See my post recounting my experience although I don't think my workaround would be desirable in your situation even if it were to work.

I think that in your situation, you would be better served with a USB based firmware update. Please read this post by jdsmoothie on how you can obtain the firmware file and USB update procedure from him. Best of luck.
post #5242 of 11940 Old 04-26-2013, 01:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libran Rabbit View Post

Just added a "THOR 2013 Smart Power Station" to run my system and I must stress how much of a difference it makes...nothing short of incredible! Bottom end so much more extended, precise, sound stage focused razor sharp and top end, cymbals crashed and bells ring like they are in the room. I now realise how much electricity is needed on demand when playing even at moderate levels. Best investment par the Marantz 8801.
If your AC mains are running well below normal, or fluctuates as in brownouts, then I suppose the Thor would be useful in ensuring the audio gear is running normally as it offers some dandy regulation, with extensive protection and noise filtering as well. All good.

But if the AC mains are within normal tolerances, and the mains wiring is of normal competence, there is nothing about the Thor that could be described as altering (let alone increasing) the amount of electricity available to your system. It's not even claimed as a product feature.
post #5243 of 11940 Old 04-26-2013, 04:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 407
Quote:

Need a solid. smile.gif

Thanks !!

You can also do an update with a USB flash drive, I see jam88 recommended this already just follow the link he posted it sounds pretty easy.
post #5244 of 11940 Old 04-26-2013, 04:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

If your AC mains are running well below normal, or fluctuates as in brownouts, then I suppose the Thor would be useful in ensuring the audio gear is running normally as it offers some dandy regulation, with extensive protection and noise filtering as well. All good.

But if the AC mains are within normal tolerances, and the mains wiring is of normal competence, there is nothing about the Thor that could be described as altering (let alone increasing) the amount of electricity available to your system. It's not even claimed as a product feature.

I agree if your gear is getting the voltage/amperage it needs, what sense does it make to add something that I have never seen any manufacturer of audio/video gear recommend.
post #5245 of 11940 Old 04-26-2013, 04:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

I agree if your gear is getting the voltage/amperage it needs, what sense does it make to add something that I have never seen any manufacturer of audio/video gear recommend.

Simple answer to your confusion! he posted an improvement in his enjoyment of his setup wink.gif

the rest as you know is a long series of post that try to convince him otherwise biggrin.gif
post #5246 of 11940 Old 04-26-2013, 04:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

Simple answer to your confusion! he posted an improvement in his enjoyment of his setup wink.gif

the rest as you know is a long series of post that try to convince him otherwise biggrin.gif

Hey as long as he heard a difference, all I'm saying is the mind is a very persuasive thing, especially after hundreds of dollars are spent biggrin.gif
post #5247 of 11940 Old 04-26-2013, 06:26 AM

Quote:

How do you do that?eek.gif
I did not know that was even possible!

post #5248 of 11940 Old 04-26-2013, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 617
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

Quote:

Not too sure how you are going to gain extension, either. :Suspect:

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #5249 of 11940 Old 04-26-2013, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewy04 View Post

Quote:

The manual is a PDF file. PDF viewers are readily available for iPads.

Selden
post #5250 of 11940 Old 04-26-2013, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewy04 View Post

Few simple steps to make this work.

1. Install the ibook app (free)
2. Visit the manufacture support site to find the manual file (pdf)
3. While viewing the pdf from the internet site you can set the pdf file to be opened by ibook which will store the pdf file on your iOS device
4. You can rename the file from ibook via the edit button later on
5. Then you can just view the pdf file from the ibook app.
Scott-C likes this.

Shadow Fox

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Ken Kreisel Dxd 12012 Subwoofer , Marantz Av8801 , Receivers Amplifiers , Audyssey , Integra
Gear in this thread - Av8801 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page