Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread - Page 178 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #5311 of 12008 Old 04-29-2013, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RichB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 8,707
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Norseman View Post

Hi DMark1,
My experiance with the AV8801's HDMI switching has been good - its never taken more than about 2 seconds to lock onto any input source switch.
(But oddly, my old Yamaha RX-V1900 AVR was twice as fast! - Go figure).
Bottom line is though that its a relatively fast, and more importantly - it establishes a solid HDMI connection in every instance.

I have had good experiences as well, but with HDMI it takes two to tango.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
RichB is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5312 of 12008 Old 04-29-2013, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 7,254
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

Audyssey questions. I only ran it one time in my life and it was on the 8801. I believe it could not adjust the bass properly because of my poor room and just sent it all to my sub. It's very open and the front right speaker is not the same distance from the side wall as the left main. It is also placed near a hallway so there isn't much of a wall behind it. This can't be helped for now, so instead of crossing my mains in the 60-80Hz range like my other speakers it crossed them at 250Hz. They are Revel F52's so they are a pretty capable speaker. Has anyone else ran into this? Also it had my surround levels at -5 db, I like my music loud on occasions and they have equal power going to them as my fronts and center. So if I leave them at -5 db the circuit protection in them will go off or I'll bottom the woofers out. Does anyone else turn their surround levels down after Audyssey? I didn't really care for Audyssey after I ran it but now I do and really like it's equalizing abilities. Well I do after I readjusted the crossover setting for my fronts and the surround levels.

Listening to MultiCh stereo? Only a good idea when your surrounds are timbre matched and in most cases just as capable as your mains, which is very rarely the case. I always end up turning my surrounds up just a tad after audyssey to accentuate the surround effect. If you use Audyssey's dynamic EQ, then your surrounds are already boosted by default unless you are listening at reference (0.0).

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

 

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

 

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

beastaudio is offline  
post #5313 of 12008 Old 04-29-2013, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 7,254
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 655
I have a quick one for you all, has anyone noticed any issues with streaming music via the "network" feature? I have my Itunes library running and the network feature/airplay is how I stream music to my system, but sometimes I feel like I am losing fidelity and extension doing it this way. Does anyone have a better method to hook a hard drive or laptop directly to your system and get better quality sound out of it? Just interested what others might be doing. Am I really even losing fidelity this way in the first place?

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

 

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

 

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

beastaudio is offline  
post #5314 of 12008 Old 04-29-2013, 12:06 PM
Senior Member
 
jrhooper1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I am probably going to be upgrading to this processor. I currently have the AV7005 in my system, and have absolutely no complaints with it. I just can't stand to read anymore about the 8801. I probably should have picked one up in the first place. LOL

I am just wondering if the 8801 is similar to the 7005, as far as setting it up. I used the Outlaw Guide to the 7005. It was a wonderful alternative to the Marantz manual. I would hate to get this thing and solely be at the mercy of the Marantz manual. LOL Hopefully someone can chime in on this.

THANKS !!
jrhooper1963 is offline  
post #5315 of 12008 Old 04-29-2013, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
comfynumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Northeast PA.
Posts: 4,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Listening to MultiCh stereo? Only a good idea when your surrounds are timbre matched and in most cases just as capable as your mains, which is very rarely the case. I always end up turning my surrounds up just a tad after audyssey to accentuate the surround effect. If you use Audyssey's dynamic EQ, then your surrounds are already boosted by default unless you are listening at reference (0.0).



Yeah I pretty much listen to all of my music in MultiCh stereo, it's just that my surrounds are no where near as capable as my mains and I have a bad habit of turning the volume up pretty far for brief periods.
comfynumb is offline  
post #5316 of 12008 Old 04-29-2013, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 7,254
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 655
Have you given pLIIx music DTS:NEO music a shot? It still gives you a good "front stage" sound while creating ambient sounds around you! I like to crank it to but as we have discussed before, I am strictly 2ch listening for music. Just like a real concert...

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

 

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

 

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

beastaudio is offline  
post #5317 of 12008 Old 04-29-2013, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
audiofan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Had a chance to demo the McIntosh MX-151 in my home for a week, and was unexpectedly very impressed, especially with Room Perfect. The 8801 is superb, and has benefits over the 151 in certain areas...but they are different animals.

Wow ! man that sounds like a golden opportunity and after checking out the spec's , it sounds like it was designed with Audiophiles in mind and I rather like the minimalist approach with no unnecessary duplicated functions. I look forward to your impressions once you've had time to put it through its paces!

have fun! smile.gif
audiofan1 is offline  
post #5318 of 12008 Old 04-29-2013, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
comfynumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Northeast PA.
Posts: 4,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Have you given pLIIx music DTS:NEO music a shot? It still gives you a good "front stage" sound while creating ambient sounds around you! I like to crank it to but as we have discussed before, I am strictly 2ch listening for music. Just like a real concert...



Well I know you don't have those speakers and all those subs and not have a lead foot err lead hand biggrin.gif
I'm going to give that a good listen right now beast. And run Audyssey again when I get a chance that crossover settings was bewildering. Will it save my settings from a month ago also or does it wipe them out and start over?
comfynumb is offline  
post #5319 of 12008 Old 04-29-2013, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 7,254
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 655
You can always default back to what audyssey read the last time it swept and start your tweaking over again. Biggest thing to make sure if is that you set your XO points where you feel appropriate, and then make sure the distances that Aud reads all seem appropriate. It is nice to default back as sometimes I get to overzealous and just tap that button to return to "normal" and start over again smile.gif

EDIT:

I see you meant save your tweaks post audyssey now and go back them if you want. Unfortunately no, but a pen and paper and writing down the settings will get you right back if you go to messing around more. smile.gif

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

 

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

 

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

beastaudio is offline  
post #5320 of 12008 Old 04-29-2013, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 6,672
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 370
You can save the 8801's internal settings to a PC and restore them later. In principle you could save the settings for a variety of calibrations and restore the ones you like the most. Of course, if you've changed the room's furnishings since the backup was saved, the results won't be exactly what you want.

Selden
Selden Ball is online now  
post #5321 of 12008 Old 04-29-2013, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 7,254
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 655
Have you actually measured differences in your room after changing furnishings? Unless you are doing some serious remodelling, the difference is quite subtle, assuming the primary listening positions is not adjusted in the move....

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

 

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

 

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

beastaudio is offline  
post #5322 of 12008 Old 04-29-2013, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
comfynumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Northeast PA.
Posts: 4,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

You can always default back to what audyssey read the last time it swept and start your tweaking over again. Biggest thing to make sure if is that you set your XO points where you feel appropriate, and then make sure the distances that Aud reads all seem appropriate. It is nice to default back as sometimes I get to overzealous and just tap that button to return to "normal" and start over again smile.gif

EDIT:

I see you meant save your tweaks post audyssey now and go back them if you want. Unfortunately no, but a pen and paper and writing down the settings will get you right back if you go to messing around more. smile.gif



I'm assuming Audyssey will come up with different settings each time you run it. So it doesn't store each run separately so you can back to it's previous settings? A pen and paper would work but there's no way to save the dynamic EQ settings. That's where I see the biggest differences with Audyssey.
comfynumb is offline  
post #5323 of 12008 Old 04-29-2013, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
comfynumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Northeast PA.
Posts: 4,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Have you actually measured differences in your room after changing furnishings? Unless you are doing some serious remodelling, the difference is quite subtle, assuming the primary listening positions is not adjusted in the move....



You mean with a meter?
comfynumb is offline  
post #5324 of 12008 Old 04-29-2013, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
comfynumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Northeast PA.
Posts: 4,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

You can save the 8801's internal settings to a PC and restore them later. In principle you could save the settings for a variety of calibrations and restore the ones you like the most. Of course, if you've changed the room's furnishings since the backup was saved, the results won't be exactly what you want.



I can save all of Audyssey's settings that way?
comfynumb is offline  
post #5325 of 12008 Old 04-29-2013, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jmschnur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: VA MD DC area
Posts: 2,940
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Before deciding on the 8801 or to wait for Integra's 80.5 I downloaded the manual. It seems rather hard to use. Is this the perception of those who have the unit now?
jmschnur is offline  
post #5326 of 12008 Old 04-29-2013, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
comfynumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Northeast PA.
Posts: 4,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post

Before deciding on the 8801 or to wait for Integra's 80.5 I downloaded the manual. It seems rather hard to use. Is this the perception of those who have the unit now?



My opinion is that's it's not that hard to use. I was used to my Sunfire pre/pro that didn't have the network capabilities, but I had this up and sounding decent in about an hour and a half, setting everything manually, and I'm a novice. There is a lot to it but if you run into snags the guys on here are great. There are a couple of guys on here coming from the Integra, maybe they'll chime in. I have zero regrets, it's an amazing pre/pro. Just do it biggrin.gif
comfynumb is offline  
post #5327 of 12008 Old 04-29-2013, 04:00 PM
Senior Member
 
Mad Norseman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Land of 10,000 Taxes!
Posts: 472
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

Audyssey questions. I only ran it one time in my life and it was on the 8801. I believe it could not adjust the bass properly because of my poor room and just sent it all to my sub. It's very open and the front right speaker is not the same distance from the side wall as the left main. It is also placed near a hallway so there isn't much of a wall behind it. This can't be helped for now, so instead of crossing my mains in the 60-80Hz range like my other speakers it crossed them at 250Hz. They are Revel F52's so they are a pretty capable speaker. Has anyone else ran into this? Also it had my surround levels at -5 db, I like my music loud on occasions and they have equal power going to them as my fronts and center. So if I leave them at -5 db the circuit protection in them will go off or I'll bottom the woofers out. Does anyone else turn their surround levels down after Audyssey? I didn't really care for Audyssey after I ran it but now I do and really like it's equalizing abilities. Well I do after I readjusted the crossover setting for my fronts and the surround levels.

That's very interesting, and prettty much the opposite of whay Audyssey XT32 did for my set up.
It set mt front L&R at full range, and each at -8db.
And set my surrounds at full range(!?), and -3db(!).
Then it set my center at a 40Hz crossover, and -4.5db.

What that did is make my surrounds very overpowering - I had to drop them to -5.0db with an 80Hz crossover to get a more balanced result.
Also boosted my fronts to -6.0 db, and a 40Hz crossover, (I might try 60Hz later...).
And boosted my center to -4.0db, and set the crossover at 80Hz.

All pretty much the reverse of your experiance.
My room is tall w/sloped ceiling, 19' x 26', w/few specific acoustic treatments and is open on one end, and above to the front half way up.

If I were you, I'd re-run it, make sure its dead-quiet, and then make manual adjustments (based upon what you KNOW about your speakers capabilities) ,until it sounds good to you.
So much bass sent to your subs is odd too, because with those Revels that shouldn't have happend. Maybe there was some 'noise pollution' while you ran it?
Lastly, I wouldn't fool around with the frequency adjustments Audyssey makes, as I think those are pretty accurate.

The Insane Pink Care Bear's Home Theater Set Up:

Marantz AV 8801 Processor, Emotiva XPR-5 Amplifier, Panasonic 65" ST30 Plasma, Yamaha BD-S2900 Blu-ray, Yamaha CDC-697 CD Player, Yamaha TT-500U Turntable, w/Signet TK5e, JBL ES100 Fronts, JBL LC2 Center, JBL ES30 Surrounds & 2 JBL ES250P Subwoofers
Mad Norseman is offline  
post #5328 of 12008 Old 04-29-2013, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
comfynumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Northeast PA.
Posts: 4,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Norseman View Post

That's very interesting, and prettty much the opposite of whay Audyssey XT32 did for my set up.
It set mt front L&R at full range, and each at -8db.
And set my surrounds at full range(!?), and -3db(!).
Then it set my center at a 40Hz crossover, and -4.5db.

What that did is make my surrounds very overpowering - I had to drop them to -5.0db with an 80Hz crossover to get a more balanced result.
Also boosted my fronts to -6.0 db, and a 40Hz crossover, (I might try 60Hz later...).
And boosted my center to -4.0db, and set the crossover at 80Hz.

All pretty much the reverse of your experiance.
My room is tall w/sloped ceiling, 19' x 26', w/few specific acoustic treatments and is open on one end, and above to the front half way up.

If I were you, I'd re-run it, make sure its dead-quiet, and then make manual adjustments (based upon what you KNOW about your speakers capabilities) ,until it sounds good to you.
So much bass sent to your subs is odd too, because with those Revels that shouldn't have happend. Maybe there was some 'noise pollution' while you ran it?
Lastly, I wouldn't fool around with the frequency adjustments Audyssey makes, as I think those are pretty accurate.



Hi, yeah you definitely had the opposite happen when you ran Audyssey. I'm almost afraid to rerun it and lose my settings. I can write the distances and crossovers etc down. But won't I lose those frequency settings and my dynamic EQ settings? Also I've heard some people say that they only run it from 3 mic positions, I wonder if this would work for me.
comfynumb is offline  
post #5329 of 12008 Old 04-29-2013, 04:18 PM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 43,945
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked: 1429
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Listening to MultiCh stereo? Only a good idea when your surrounds are timbre matched and in most cases just as capable as your mains, which is very rarely the case. I always end up turning my surrounds up just a tad after audyssey to accentuate the surround effect. If you use Audyssey's dynamic EQ, then your surrounds are already boosted by default unless you are listening at reference (0.0).

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

Yeah I pretty much listen to all of my music in MultiCh stereo, it's just that my surrounds are no where near as capable as my mains and I have a bad habit of turning the volume up pretty far for brief periods.

Just the opposite of what beastaudio is suggesting. confused.gif

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #5330 of 12008 Old 04-29-2013, 04:19 PM
Senior Member
 
Mad Norseman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Land of 10,000 Taxes!
Posts: 472
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 100
comfynumb typed:
"Hi, yeah you definitely had the opposite happen when you ran Audyssey. I'm almost afraid to rerun it and lose my settings. I can write the distances and crossovers etc down. But won't I lose those frequency settings and my dynamic EQ settings?"

Yes, but so what?
Just run it again, and you'll get all new settings anyway (some only very subtle differences, some - hopefully based on what you're describing - are more major and appropreate!).
Another approach would be to just go into the menu and reset everything to the factory defaults and start over from scratch.

Start with studying your speaker's specs and figure out where the crossovers SHOULD be.
For example, if Revel says they're good down to '30Hz, at -3db', then a good rule of thumb is to set the crossover for them at 20Hz to 30Hz ABOVE that (i.e. @ a 60Hz crossover).
That allows for a smooth roll off.
Re-run Audyssey XT32 & SubEQ (make sure your sub levels are at 75db +/- 1db or so) by using the built in level meter & mic.
Keep things VERY quiet, and then re-run the room correction software.
From you original experiance it should come up with something very different (and better).
Then 'tweak' your levels as you see fit.

Failing all of that, call Marantz's phone help (they're very helpful) and put the questions to them.
Good luck!

The Insane Pink Care Bear's Home Theater Set Up:

Marantz AV 8801 Processor, Emotiva XPR-5 Amplifier, Panasonic 65" ST30 Plasma, Yamaha BD-S2900 Blu-ray, Yamaha CDC-697 CD Player, Yamaha TT-500U Turntable, w/Signet TK5e, JBL ES100 Fronts, JBL LC2 Center, JBL ES30 Surrounds & 2 JBL ES250P Subwoofers
Mad Norseman is offline  
post #5331 of 12008 Old 04-29-2013, 04:22 PM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 43,945
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked: 1429
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

EDIT:

I see you meant save your tweaks post audyssey now and go back them if you want. Unfortunately no, but a pen and paper and writing down the settings will get you right back if you go to messing around more. smile.gif

Much easier to just use the RESTORE feature (p. 42 OM). smile.gif

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #5332 of 12008 Old 04-29-2013, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
comfynumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Northeast PA.
Posts: 4,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Much easier to just use the RESTORE feature (p. 42 OM). smile.gif



That definitely works I just tried it. So if I run it again and don't like the settings the restore will put the prior settings back?
comfynumb is offline  
post #5333 of 12008 Old 04-29-2013, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
comfynumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Northeast PA.
Posts: 4,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Norseman View Post

comfynumb typed:
"Hi, yeah you definitely had the opposite happen when you ran Audyssey. I'm almost afraid to rerun it and lose my settings. I can write the distances and crossovers etc down. But won't I lose those frequency settings and my dynamic EQ settings?"

Yes, but so what?
Just run it again, and you'll get all new settings anyway (some only very subtle differences, some - hopefully based on what you're describing - are more major and appropreate!).
Another approach would be to just go into the menu and reset everything to the factory defaults and start over from scratch.

Start with studying your speaker's specs and figure out where the crossovers SHOULD be.
For example, if Revel says they're good down to '30Hz, at -3db', then a good rule of thumb is to set the crossover for them at 20Hz to 30Hz ABOVE that (i.e. @ a 60Hz crossover).
That allows for a smooth roll off.
Re-run Audyssey XT32 & SubEQ (make sure your sub levels are at 75db +/- 1db or so) by using the built in level meter & mic.
Keep things VERY quiet, and then re-run the room correction software.
From you original experiance it should come up with something very different (and better).
Then 'tweak' your levels as you see fit.

Failing all of that, call Marantz's phone help (they're very helpful) and put the questions to them.
Good luck!



I guess my lack of Audyssey experience makes me second guess myself. I mean to me it sounds really good the way it is. But I will run it again, thanks for the help smile.gif
comfynumb is offline  
post #5334 of 12008 Old 04-29-2013, 04:44 PM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 43,945
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked: 1429
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

That definitely works I just tried it. So if I run it again and don't like the settings the restore will put the prior settings back?

Yup. As advertised. smile.gif

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #5335 of 12008 Old 04-29-2013, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 7,254
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

You can always default back to what audyssey read the last time it swept and start your tweaking over again. Biggest thing to make sure if is that you set your XO points where you feel appropriate, and then make sure the distances that Aud reads all seem appropriate. It is nice to default back as sometimes I get to overzealous and just tap that button to return to "normal" and start over again smile.gif

EDIT:

I see you meant save your tweaks post audyssey now and go back them if you want. Unfortunately no, but a pen and paper and writing down the settings will get you right back if you go to messing around more. smile.gif



I'm assuming Audyssey will come up with different settings each time you run it. So it doesn't store each run separately so you can back to it's previous settings? A pen and paper would work but there's no way to save the dynamic EQ settings. That's where I see the biggest differences with Audyssey.

It might. You can't go back to the previous Aud. settings unless you go with the PC method mentioned earlier after you run it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Have you actually measured differences in your room after changing furnishings? Unless you are doing some serious remodelling, the difference is quite subtle, assuming the primary listening positions is not adjusted in the move....



You mean with a meter?

Yes. or Omnimic or REW if you want to really see what is going on. Still the best investment I have ever made for my theater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

EDIT:

I see you meant save your tweaks post audyssey now and go back them if you want. Unfortunately no, but a pen and paper and writing down the settings will get you right back if you go to messing around more. smile.gif

Much easier to just use the RESTORE feature (p. 42 OM). smile.gif



Mentioned that earlier JD, it will restore your audyssey results but there is no way really to save your tweaks AFTER Aud. and save them proper that I know of.
Quote:
For example, if Revel says they're good down to '30Hz, at -3db', then a good rule of thumb is to set the crossover for them at 20Hz to 30Hz ABOVE that (i.e. @ a 60Hz crossover).

A good plan for sure. Room gain will give you some additional gain down low to extend that f3, but choose to use it or not, the natural rolloff of the speaker is not a bad place to start, and bumping that up a few points is just going to preserve what you have and not ask more of the speaker than it should be doing, especially if Aud. is boosting below the f3 point...

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

 

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

 

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

beastaudio is offline  
post #5336 of 12008 Old 04-29-2013, 04:47 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
joerod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: MIDWEST (just outside Chicago)
Posts: 22,086
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by erhurd View Post

Two thumbs up!

Thanks. smile.gif

For my latest Reviews and stuff Search -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Follow me: @joerodhometheat
Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
joerod is online now  
post #5337 of 12008 Old 04-29-2013, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
comfynumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Northeast PA.
Posts: 4,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Yup. As advertised. smile.gif



That is comforting, and although I had it up and sounding decent in a short time the tweaks over a couple of months time took lots of patience. it is too bad that you can't save multiple Audyssey runs for comparison. Thanks for the tips again smile.gif
comfynumb is offline  
post #5338 of 12008 Old 04-29-2013, 04:58 PM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 43,945
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked: 1429
^^
Ah but you can ... you simply have to rename the file once saved to your PC. smile.gif

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #5339 of 12008 Old 04-29-2013, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
comfynumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Northeast PA.
Posts: 4,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
Ah but you can ... you simply have to rename the file once saved to your PC. smile.gif



It looks like I need to look into this, that would be the way to go. Although I have no clue how it's done.
comfynumb is offline  
post #5340 of 12008 Old 04-29-2013, 05:10 PM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 43,945
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked: 1429
Uh ... right click on the file and select "Rename" after first jotting down the original file name that the 8801 will recognize. smile.gif

Give it a name that describes something unique about the EQ ... eg. the date and some other tidbit to differentiate it from the other EQ file names. You would then have to rename it back to the original file name when reloading it back to the 8801.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is online now  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Ken Kreisel Dxd 12012 Subwoofer , Marantz Av8801 , Receivers Amplifiers , Audyssey , Integra
Gear in this thread - Av8801 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off