exm
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlxG View Post

I'm with Rich on cable weight concerns which may have the tendency to lift light DVD players.

Based on your observation, is their cable excessively heavy?

No, not at all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5402 of 12229 Old 05-03-2013, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Has anyone "upgraded" to this processor from the AV 7005........... and felt it was not worth the extra cash ? I am getting ready to pull the trigger, and now I am searching for an excuse NOT to do it.
post #5403 of 12229 Old 05-03-2013, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 440
You don't need to upgrade to an 8801 if you have no plans to upgrade to 11.2 sound. Upgrading to 11.2 is significantly more expensive, since It would need more amplifiers (taking up more space and generating more heat) and more speakers (taking up more space, in addition to needing more cables and mounting hardware) and would take longer to calibrate.

Well, you wanted an excuse....

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
post #5404 of 12229 Old 05-03-2013, 11:03 AM

That's a very valid point Seldon ! In all honesty, I have a 5.1 system and it will not be expanded in the forseable future. But reading the reviews on this sing has me literally foaming at the mouth. I have very neutral speakers, and a Halo amp that is also very neutral, also the 7005 is very neutral. One review said the 8801 is a little warmer sounding than the 7005 ???
post #5405 of 12229 Old 05-03-2013, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 409
I didn't own the 7005 but besides the 8801 being 11.2 I've heard others say the 8801 sounds better. It has the better Audyssey and for 2 grand more it should be an upgrade.
post #5406 of 12229 Old 05-03-2013, 11:37 AM

I also have a square room, with no room treatments. I am reasonably certain it would sound better. The thought of running Audyssey for the first time with the 8801, and liking it, is enough to make me literally have a bowel movement on myself. I get Wayyyy to jacked up about this crap. I have two ex wifes that would vouch for this. I once ran Audyssey during halftime of a Super Bowl party. Needless to say, it did not go over well. Try keeping a house full of drunks quiet. Especially when one of them is your old lady.
post #5407 of 12229 Old 05-03-2013, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhooper1963 View Post

I also have a square room, with no room treatments. I am reasonably certain it would sound better. The thought of running Audyssey for the first time with the 8801, and liking it, is enough to make me literally have a bowel movement on myself. I get Wayyyy to jacked up about this crap. I have two ex wifes that would vouch for this. I once ran Audyssey during halftime of a Super Bowl party. Needless to say, it did not go over well. Try keeping a house full of drunks quiet. Especially when one of them is your old lady.

Well we would not want that to happen! Your room has to be better than mine it's a big room with hallways at both ends and a real nightmare. I have run Audyssey only once in my life and those are the settings I use right now. Because of my room problem it crossed my mains at 250 Hz. But I tweaked that and a couple level changes and I'm very pleased. I will run it again but for now it's great
post #5408 of 12229 Old 05-03-2013, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The real question now is, if you actually lost the two ex because of the hobby. biggrin.gif

Do not steal, The powers that be do not like the competition.
post #5409 of 12229 Old 05-03-2013, 01:03 PM
Just add water and stir

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by luismanrara View Post

The real question now is, if you actually lost the two ex because of the hobby. biggrin.gif

Makes for an even more expensive hobby. wink.gif
post #5410 of 12229 Old 05-03-2013, 01:11 PM
Say No to Auto EQ

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked: 920
Quote:

Quote:

Rich,

Have you experimented with different XLR cables? I'm getting way too much clarity, good amount of bass but not enough harmonic texture in the midrange with Mogami 2930 Y-splitters.

I'm planning to put Rega DAC back in the system in a couple weeks to check if I'll have the same magic that I had with my AR (RCA) y-splitter interconnects. Just for kicks, I went to listen to McIntosh 2300/275 all tube combo with their tower speakers and liked my setup better... Go figure... Who would have thought that AV8801 would be such a jam? I couldn't stand the sound of Integra 80.3 in the next room... Probably due to B&W 803 speakers which I never liked with any system. Personal taste is a funny thing isn't it?

OMG, I went on a wild goose chaise thinking that there was something wrong with my XLR y-splitter cables. It turn out that I've inadvertently set my Logitech Media Server to stream native FLAC to Squeezebox. As soon as I told the LMS Server to decode FLAC to PCM, I got my magic back. biggrin.gif

I'm now in total heaven. It was the best cheapest investment I've made.

I have pristine high, heavenly air around the instruments... Full midrange and lot's of bass. ;biggrin.gif

My Gemstone now rocks in the XLR mode.

Can you not access the Logitech Media Server directly from the Marantz, with no need for the squeeze box? I am interested right now in a better way to get my music from my laptop to my Marantz without losing any fidelity and so far I have gotten no answers. Right now I just use the network feature to pick up my apple TV signal and I play it and control it all directly from my phone which is pretty sweet, but for dedicated sit downs, I want to make sure I am getting the absolute best sound from my setup and I just have no real way of telling whether I am or not right now.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #5411 of 12229 Old 05-03-2013, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Try JR River MC 18
post #5412 of 12229 Old 05-03-2013, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:

Dude ! the super bowl thing just made my day! a man after my own heart to say the least, all jokes aside I will play the 8801 advocate biggrin.gif My room is almost a perfect cube minus a large fire place and dimensions being 20x21x8, I'm not sure that one extra foot helps! needless to say the room is treated as well! i also have an Halo a21 driving my mains with an Anthem MCA30 for the center and surrounds in a 5.1 setup! its total magic!

take a deep breath! wipe the foam from your mouth! slowly reach for your wallet! and get yourself an 8801 wink.gif
post #5413 of 12229 Old 05-03-2013, 05:03 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Can you not access the Logitech Media Server directly from the Marantz, with no need for the squeeze box? I am interested right now in a better way to get my music from my laptop to my Marantz without losing any fidelity and so far I have gotten no answers. Right now I just use the network feature to pick up my apple TV signal and I play it and control it all directly from my phone which is pretty sweet, but for dedicated sit downs, I want to make sure I am getting the absolute best sound from my setup and I just have no real way of telling whether I am or not right now.

I have not tried it, but may probably access raw FLAC files from my PC upstairs via LAN. I don't have any intentions to ever use USB interface and clutter my busy living room with additional laptop.

Here are my concerns:
1.) how good is AV8801 FLAC decoder? I completely bypass it by decoding FLAC file within LMS software and then stream simple PCM data over LAN.

2.) Squeezebox Touch has a very good clock recovery circuit, it was measured to have 50pS intrinsic jitter. What's AV8801 streaming data intrinsic jitter?

3.) I have enormous FLAC library. How simple would it be to find the song within AV8801?The Ipeng utility on my IPAD looks almost like iTunes which allows me to look at albums and their name tags with ease. Ipeng's user interface is extremely easy use.

- Alex
post #5414 of 12229 Old 05-03-2013, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter
exm
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

Has anyone "upgraded" to this processor from the AV 7005........... and felt it was not worth the extra cash ? I am getting ready to pull the trigger, and now I am searching for an excuse NOT to do it.

I did this upgrade. Besides the extra channels, the better sound (yes, I did notice the sound is better which is most likely due to XT32), you'll also get more HDMI ports, a much improved GUI, 4k support, etc.

Is all of this worth the extra money? If you can afford it, yes.
post #5415 of 12229 Old 05-03-2013, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

JR River does a great job with my Oppo 103. You might try to feed the 8801,
post #5416 of 12229 Old 05-03-2013, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
You guys are killing me. I guess I really needed to read your post, and will order one over the weekend. biggrin.gif
post #5417 of 12229 Old 05-03-2013, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Has anyone used the back inputs for a IR repeater? I have gotten a cheap Radio Shack IR Repater to work using the transmitters in front of the equipment but wonder if there are IR repeaters that connect to the back panel?

Appreciate any inputs

Reggie
Family Room:70" Sharp Elite/Marantz AV8801/MM8801/GoldenEar:Triton Ones (superseding Triton 2s), SuperCenter XL center channel, and SuperSat 60 surrounds/Oppo BDP-105/Directv Genie/ HP Notebook
Basement: 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000/Marantz AV8003/Marantz MM8003/PSB Stratus Gold Front,Center,Left, Surrounds
post #5418 of 12229 Old 05-03-2013, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post

JR River does a great job with my Oppo 103. You might try to feed the 8801,

How can JR River or Foobar2000 help if the external DAC such as SB Touch sounds better than AV8801's DAC? In my case, my PC is upstairs 75 feet away from the living room.

I've compared Squeezebox Touch analog path through the 7.1ch input and Touch's digital path through AV8801 coax input and can clearly hear more transparent highs and more engaging response through the analog path. Playing the music through Rega DAC has completely blew away Touch... Not even close... This tells me that AV8801 has an exceptional analog preamp path via 7.1 analog input.

- Alex
post #5419 of 12229 Old 05-04-2013, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

I use jr rivers dlna server to send original files to my Oppo via my home network. You can also send uncompressed files and upscale in the PC.
If the dac in the marantz is up to the task you could send files directly to it with this method.
With a program called whitebear, JR River, can send files via its library server to the touch.

One can control the files that are streamed on a ipad or iphone using JRemote which is an app.
post #5420 of 12229 Old 05-04-2013, 05:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciacca View Post

Sadly, not yet. I have a single Def Tech Trinity Signature Reference. I will say, I feel like Audyssey drops the bass levels too low for my opinion. The volume knob is at like 2 out of 10 and Audyssey dropped levels by 6 dB. For movies, it is a tad low for me. I'm still experimenting with music. (Though I'm really waiting for my Audyssey ProEQ license before messing around with the settings too much.)

Having XT32 is making me feel like I should get a second sub. We'll see if anything at CES catches my eye. Ditto on width speakers. (It's just SO hard to place them correctly in a non-dedicated room...)

A note on the ProEQ license.... There is some confusion right now between Marantz and Audyssey on the status of the unit. Marantz says it is DEFINITELY ProEQ ready; Audyssey says they are waiting on something from Marantz. I'm sharing e-mails back and forth between the two companies and I've no doubt it will be resolved (and that the 8801 is ProEQ enabled), but there is some update that needs to occur. On whose end the update actually needs to be initiated from, is a question at this point....
John
Nothing sad about owning a Trinity , fantastic woofer . But 2 would even be better.
post #5421 of 12229 Old 05-04-2013, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenonLover View Post

You guys are killing me. I guess I really needed to read your post, and will order one over the weekend. biggrin.gif

When you get the 8801 set up right you'll be changing your name to a MarantzLover biggrin.gif
post #5422 of 12229 Old 05-04-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post

I use jr rivers dlna server to send original files to my Oppo via my home network. You can also send uncompressed files and upscale in the PC.
If the dac in the marantz is up to the task you could send files directly to it with this method.
With a program called whitebear, JR River, can send files via its library server to the touch.

One can control the files that are streamed on a ipad or iphone using JRemote which is an app.

I'm using Foobar 2000 which is free. I absolutely see no value to pay for JR Rivers since I've been using Foobar for the last 8 years and know how to use it. Both products will play out FLAC. All you have to do is bypass Windows Sound driver with WASAPI and you'll be set to deliver unmolested music file to your audio card.

Too bad that I don't have Oppo to try out and compare the results. Now that I'm happy with my 2-channel music, I don't have any desire to invest in a Blu-ray player including Oppo for playing back SACD discs. Concidering that my DAC sounds better than AV8801, I've pulled Oppo 103 out of equation. My SB Touch can natively play 24/96 high res music, and I'm considering to add Enhanced Digital Output drivers for playing back 24/192 music. I believe HDTracks high res FLAC file are based on the original recorded master tapes. So I don't expect any benefits of using SACD.

- Alex
post #5423 of 12229 Old 05-04-2013, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Since you guys use dedicated media players with the 8801, is there any advantage using a dedicated player over a hard drive, like audio/video quality?
post #5424 of 12229 Old 05-04-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

Since you guys use dedicated media players with the 8801, is there any advantage using a dedicated player over a hard drive, like audio/video quality?

It's hard to say. Maybe Kal can jump-in into our discussion and add his valuable input.

All I can say is that AV8801 rocks, and I believe I've made wise investment.

- Alex
post #5425 of 12229 Old 05-04-2013, 12:34 PM
DHF

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

I did. A friend did. Huge non subtle difference in SQ.
post #5426 of 12229 Old 05-04-2013, 01:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:

It's hard to say. Maybe Kal can jump-in into our discussion and add his valuable input.

I am not sure how to respond as I am not sure what is meant by "dedicated player over a hard drive."    

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #5427 of 12229 Old 05-04-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

I am not sure how to respond as I am not sure what is meant by "dedicated player over a hard drive."    

Kal, I don't want to misinterpret Comfynumb's question... I think he's asking for the best approach for streaming music through AV8801. I was hopping that you would share your thoughts on this subject. smile.gif

- Alex
post #5428 of 12229 Old 05-04-2013, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes playing music from a hard drive is something I haven't done much of, or streaming music for that matter, at least through my HT set up. So I noticed a lot of the guys using Foobar or JR Rivers, is there an advantage to these quality wise. And is there a better way to store my CD rips than a hard drive, as far as quality goes, or doesn't it matter?
post #5429 of 12229 Old 05-04-2013, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

Yes playing music from a hard drive is something I haven't done much of, or streaming music for that matter, at least through my HT set up. So I noticed a lot of the guys using Foobar or JR Rivers, is there an advantage to these quality wise. And is there a better way to store my CD rips than a hard drive, as far as quality goes, or doesn't it matter?

Windows sound drivers can color the sound. DLNA works fine but I think directly playing files can sound better when I use the Oppo BDP-105 and Kernel Streaming with no upsampling or processing.

DLNA has a delay between each track and the BDP-105 USB DAC streaming does not. If that matters to you.

Playback options that should sound the same, often do not. I am not sure why.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #5430 of 12229 Old 05-04-2013, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

Windows sound drivers can color the sound. DLNA works fine but I think directly playing files can sound better when I use the Oppo BDP-105 and Kernel Streaming with no upsampling or processing.

DLNA has a delay between each track and the BDP-105 USB DAC streaming does not. If that matters to you.

Playback options that should sound the same, often do not. I am not sure why.

- Rich

So you have your hard drive plugged into your Oppo and play your files that way Rich?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Ken Kreisel Dxd 12012 Subwoofer , Marantz Av8801 , Receivers Amplifiers , Audyssey , Integra
Gear in this thread - Av8801 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page