Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread - Page 202 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6031 of 11971 Old 06-06-2013, 07:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Re: The "Dialog Enhancer" feature
I asked this question a few days back. but no one replied...

Ha! - now I know why I noticed zero difference with 'Dialog Enhancer' turned on to 'Low' last night! Because for whatever reason, it DOESN'T STAY on.

I went back into the menu to look last night, and its showing 'Off' again.
So I set it back to 'Low', then checked again later and its showing 'Off' again...
Does anyone know why the AV8801 it won't hold onto this setting???
Is there some hidden 'save' function I'm not aware of?
It doesn't do this with any other settings...

Anyone else had this experiance with the AV8801?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeah32 View Post

Mine does the same thing, I'm curious about this as well.

Finally got an email reply from Marantz on this issue (copy/pasted in here below):

"It doesn't appear there are any stipulations that would disable the Dialog Enhancer option. This option is source specific, so please make sure it's set correctly for all sources that you want to use it with.
Additionally, I ran tests on my 8801 and could not duplicate the issue.
Thank you, Technical Support / Custom Install. D&M Holdings NA"

Mine still won't hold this setting, anyone else besides 'ohyeah32' & me having this issue???
(Marantz's reply implied they'd never heard of this problem before, but not sure if I'm buying that...confused.gif).

The Insane Pink Care Bear's Home Theater Set Up:

Marantz AV 8801 Processor, Emotiva XPR-5 Amplifier, Panasonic 65" ST30 Plasma, Yamaha BD-S2900 Blu-ray, Yamaha CDC-697 CD Player, Yamaha TT-500U Turntable, w/Signet TK5e, JBL ES100 Fronts, JBL LC2 Center, JBL ES30 Surrounds & 2 JBL ES250P Subwoofers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6032 of 11971 Old 06-06-2013, 11:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Norseman View Post

Re: The "Dialog Enhancer" feature
I asked this question a few days back. but no one replied...

Ha! - now I know why I noticed zero difference with 'Dialog Enhancer' turned on to 'Low' last night! Because for whatever reason, it DOESN'T STAY on.

I went back into the menu to look last night, and its showing 'Off' again.
So I set it back to 'Low', then checked again later and its showing 'Off' again...
Does anyone know why the AV8801 it won't hold onto this setting???
Is there some hidden 'save' function I'm not aware of?
It doesn't do this with any other settings...

Anyone else had this experiance with the AV8801?
Finally got an email reply from Marantz on this issue (copy/pasted in here below):

"It doesn't appear there are any stipulations that would disable the Dialog Enhancer option. This option is source specific, so please make sure it's set correctly for all sources that you want to use it with.
Additionally, I ran tests on my 8801 and could not duplicate the issue.
Thank you, Technical Support / Custom Install. D&M Holdings NA"

Mine still won't hold this setting, anyone else besides 'ohyeah32' & me having this issue???
(Marantz's reply implied they'd never heard of this problem before, but not sure if I'm buying that...confused.gif).

Mine works fine when and if I use it with a perfect bump in dialog using the low setting, be sure the signal is locked before engaging it ,say PrologicII or DTS etc etc.. I do recall sometimes if I would change the LFE from 80hz to say 90hz, I would hear the change but as soon as I went back in the menu it was at 80hz ? But if I did it while the source was locked by say pressing movie while the source is playing it locked , it may be the same trick check it out and post back wink.gif
post #6033 of 11971 Old 06-07-2013, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlynch View Post

I am still on the fence a bit hesitant to sell my MC-12BEQ and move to the 8801.

One big concern of mine is the relatively bullet-proof design of the Lexicon compared to the seemingly buggy nature of the 8801. Perhaps these are isolated incidences?

I am wondering how many of you have purchased extended warranties such as those offered by Mack Camera or Square Trade??

What bugs? I think I counted 3 or 4 FW problems. As for Matantz's updates the only one that was really needed was the one last December, it was for the Pandora login problem. This is from Marantz, I wanted to know what was in their updates.

Many times people come to A/V sites for help, so your going to hear from the ones that have had problems. There are a lot more of us that have had no incidents and wouldn't trade our 8801's for any brand at any price biggrin.gif
post #6034 of 11971 Old 06-07-2013, 12:05 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

What bugs? I think I counted 3 or 4 FW problems. As for Matantz's updates the only one that was really needed was the one last December, it was for the Pandora login problem. This is from Marantz, I wanted to know what was in their updates.

Many times people come to A/V sites for help, so your going to hear from the ones that have had problems. There are a lot more of us that have had no incidents and wouldn't trade our 8801's for any brand at any price biggrin.gif

I've had a few bugs:

1 - The OSD stops working frequently. It appears to occur whenever the source's video resolution changes. This is unacceptable behavior for a unit this expensive.

2 - The Dialogue Enhancer setting wasn't holding - reported by others. This seems to be fixed in the latest firmware. It worked properly for me yesterday. I'll test more over the weekend.
post #6035 of 11971 Old 06-07-2013, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akopperl View Post

I've had a few bugs:

1 - The OSD stops working frequently. It appears to occur whenever the source's video resolution changes. This is unacceptable behavior for a unit this expensive.

2 - The Dialogue Enhancer setting wasn't holding - reported by others. This seems to be fixed in the latest firmware. It worked properly for me yesterday. I'll test more over the weekend.

Hi, with a processor that does as much as this one there's bound to be bugs. I haven't had any of them that you did but hopefully they're solved for you. Nothing in this update is directed at the dialog enhancer that I see but maybe they fix things without telling us. If your OSD stops working I'd get ahold of Marantz maybe they could help.
post #6036 of 11971 Old 06-07-2013, 01:57 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

I've had a few bugs:

Is your source DirecTV HR34? My Denon 4311 does lose OSD as well when video resolution changes. There was a DirecTV issue maybe a year or 2 ago about not passing the resolution to AVR for all of their DVRs. At the time my HR21 was connected to the Denon and exhibited the same issue. It was fixed by DirecTV about a month later. The HR34 probably did not get the fix, most likely not too many people complained.
post #6037 of 11971 Old 06-07-2013, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I too have experienced these very same OSD issues at times with a Motorola DCH6416 Cable Box (Insight/TimeWarner) and Denon AVR-4310 and AVR-4311. If I set my cable box to constantly output 1080i the issues go away.
post #6038 of 11971 Old 06-07-2013, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmandt View Post

I just set up my 8801 today, ran the setup program, and get video,but no audio. Getting a bit frustrated; I have set up a number of systems and can't figure out the problem. After running through the setup program about a dozen times, resetting the microprocessor, about a half dozen times, and upgrading the firmware to 3325-0843-4420 ( checked in the menu to confirm) , still no audio. I have tried connecting my lexicon rx-7 and subs with RCA and XLR cables, tried both blu-ray and cable TV sources with no luck.

I'v e been going through this thread now for hours and haven't seen anyone with the same issue on setup. I even pulled out an old lexicon DC-1 to check the rest of my system (11.2 ) to no avail.

Please someone HELP!!

Peter

How are you wired to your amp? I'd look into the input assign menu on the Marantz.
post #6039 of 11971 Old 06-07-2013, 05:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:

I just set up my 8801 today, ran the setup program, and get video,but no audio. Getting a bit frustrated; I have set up a number of systems and can't figure out the problem. After running through the setup program about a dozen times, resetting the microprocessor, about a half dozen times, and upgrading the firmware to 3325-0843-4420 ( checked in the menu to confirm) , still no audio. I have tried connecting my lexicon rx-7 and subs with RCA and XLR cables, tried both blu-ray and cable TV sources with no luck.

I'v e been going through this thread now for hours and haven't seen anyone with the same issue on setup. I even pulled out an old lexicon DC-1 to check the rest of my system (11.2 ) to no avail.

Please someone HELP!!

Peter

Run the setup program?  Do you mean Audyssey or Set-Up Assistant and, if so, did any of the speakers perform?  Is it possible that you have HDMI Audio Out set to TV?  If so, there is no audio out to the amps.  See page 127 in your manual.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #6040 of 11971 Old 06-07-2013, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Please someone HELP!!

Peter

Is your amp plugged in and on ? and if I understand correctly even your lexicon had no sound?
post #6041 of 11971 Old 06-07-2013, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've tried XLR , RCA and various combos, tried different cables ( I have a large collection) and ran the setup menu each time.
Also ran it each time after resetting the microprocessor, of course.( probably a good 15 or more times to specify type of output)

No luck.

Peter

pmandt
post #6042 of 11971 Old 06-07-2013, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've tried XLR , RCA and various combos, tried different cables ( I have a large collection) and ran the setup menu each time.
Also ran it each time after resetting the microprocessor, of course.( probably a good 15 or more times to specify type of output)

No luck.

Peter

Kal posted a response to your post that sounds like it could be the problem. It sounds like a setting. Take a deep breath and you'll figure it out smile.gif
post #6043 of 11971 Old 06-07-2013, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No luck.

Peter

Are you using hdmi? and what mode are you using ? movie, music or stereo
post #6044 of 11971 Old 06-07-2013, 05:52 PM

About when was that?; l Iooked through his posts but couldn't find it. Just tried all RCA, all I got was hum.
The other peculiar thing is that when the 8801 is turned off, the video from the last HDMI input still goes.

Running out of IDEAS. I've set up a lot of systems, but never spent this much time troubleshooting

Peter

pmandt
post #6045 of 11971 Old 06-07-2013, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

About when was that?; l Iooked through his posts but couldn't find it. Just tried all RCA, all I got was hum.
The other peculiar thing is that when the 8801 is turned off, the video from the last HDMI input still goes.

Running out of IDEAS. I've set up a lot of systems, but never spent this much time troubleshooting

Peter

audiofan1 is responding to your posts also, he's very capable and I'm sure will help.
post #6046 of 11971 Old 06-07-2013, 06:08 PM

Thanks for everyone's attention.
Using HDMI on everything, default on cable /tv is stereo, but no audio during speaker calibration or level settings. Also tried hooking up cable box with both optical and coax digital audio.
Will try different modes, but I would think speaker calibration should bypass them.

Peter

pmandt
post #6047 of 11971 Old 06-07-2013, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshift1 View Post

Will Marantz let you know what the problem was with the returned unit so it could avoided in the future . Might help someone else down the road.

I submitted a question to Marantz on Tuesday - never heard back from them.

Anyways here is an update. I got the second unit in. Hooked up the REL G-2 only via RCA. Setup went without a hitch - the sub was detected and fed the appropriate test signals. Room tuning was uneventful. After set-up I decided to play some music. 1st up - Pink Floyd DS of the Moon SACD - "Time". This is multi-channel - sounds great, aurally immersive, good solid bass from the REL. Next up - Talking Heads True Stories CD - stereo only - sounding rather a bit on the light side. AV8801 indicates stereo and the sub is not woofing - no vibes from the cone. Again, this is after Audyssey setup and being "live". Went back into the AV8801 setup - manual speaker setup and set bass to Full+LFE (it was originally set only to LFE). Set the crossover down from 120 to 80Hz. Now I was getting output from the sub. Disconnected the RCA and connected the high level inputs played the same track (City of Dreams - love this song, there is a lot of layers of sound and the slide guitar) - ahh nice satisfying deep bass.

So here is the question. Why no bass output in LFE only when using a stereo source? Why did I need to change this to Full+LFE to get any response from the REL? Several folks mentioned that the sub should be live in stereo mode under Audyssey. This was not the case (and the unit was not in pure direct or direct either).

Although, I think that I would be happiest to run both the high level and the low level (in LFE only mode), I am still a bit paranoid about running the REL in this configuration as someone suggested that this may have caused some sort of feedback that could have fried SW1 on my 1st AV8801. But I'll tell you - to my ears the sound is much better with the high level inputs connected than just using the RCA in "Full+LFE" mode; the bass seems to extend into the subterranean in this configuration. Another question after setting this to Full+LFE should I run Audyssey again? Would this "improve" the bass output?

So it appears that even after Audyssey tuning and with Audyssey "live" your sub may not be woofing in LFE only mode when playing stereo sources.

Comments and insights are always welcome.

Patrick
post #6048 of 11971 Old 06-07-2013, 06:26 PM

I've been using direct, but tried the other modes without any help.

Audio input on blu-ray indicates DTS-HD master audio.

I also tried switching the audio input to coaxial 1 and hooking up to the cable box, so digital audio inputs also are a problem.

I'm really starting to think there might be a hardware defect; but it would be the first time after owning three lexicon processors and one integra, not to mention multiple receivers.

Peter

pmandt
post #6049 of 11971 Old 06-07-2013, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patric9956 View Post

Anyways here is an update. I got the second unit in. Hooked up the REL G-2 only via RCA. Setup went without a hitch - the sub was detected and fed the appropriate test signals. Room tuning was uneventful. After set-up I decided to play some music. 1st up - Pink Floyd DS of the Moon SACD - "Time". This is multi-channel - sounds great, aurally immersive, good solid bass from the REL. Next up - Talking Heads True Stories CD - stereo only - sounding rather a bit on the light side. AV8801 indicates stereo and the sub is not woofing - no vibes from the cone. Again, this is after Audyssey setup and being "live". Went back into the AV8801 setup - manual speaker setup and set bass to Full+LFE (it was originally set only to LFE). Set the crossover down from 120 to 80Hz. Now I was getting output from the sub. Disconnected the RCA and connected the high level inputs played the same track (City of Dreams - love this song, there is a lot of layers of sound and the slide guitar) - ahh nice satisfying deep bass.

So here is the question. Why no bass output in LFE only when using a stereo source? Why did I need to change this to Full+LFE to get any response from the REL? Several folks mentioned that the sub should be live in stereo mode under Audyssey. This was not the case (and the unit was not in pure direct or direct either).

Although, I think that I would be happiest to run both the high level and the low level (in LFE only mode), I am still a bit paranoid about running the REL in this configuration as someone suggested that this may have caused some sort of feedback that could have fried SW1 on my 1st AV8801. But I'll tell you - to my ears the sound is much better with the high level inputs connected than just using the RCA in "Full+LFE" mode; the bass seems to extend into the subterranean in this configuration. Another question after setting this to Full+LFE should I run Audyssey again? Would this "improve" the bass output?

So it appears that even after Audyssey tuning and with Audyssey "live" your sub may not be woofing in LFE only mode when playing stereo sources.

Patrick

Are your mains set to small or large? if the latter you're not suppose to hear bass , go into the speaker menu and see if your mains are set to large if so set them to small and pick a crossover. it sounds like you set the subs ( located in the sub settings under the LFE+main option) LPF from 120 to 80 and not the mains.
post #6050 of 11971 Old 06-07-2013, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patric9956 View Post

Patrick

Are your speakers front speakers set to small?
post #6051 of 11971 Old 06-07-2013, 07:10 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Hi all Im trying to setup my Pronto remote for the Marantz AV8801 I was going to go RS232 but being that Audyssey pro connects to the Rs232 (I usually leave the cable connected Just in case I have re use again) I was going to ask is the Marantz codes the same as any other previous Marantz units?

Thanks

Frank

post #6052 of 11971 Old 06-07-2013, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Hi all Im trying to setup my Pronto remote for the Marantz AV8801 I was going to go RS232 but being that Audyssey pro connects to the Rs232 (I usually leave the cable connected Just in case I have re use again) I was going to ask is the Marantz codes the same as any other previous Marantz units?

Thanks

Hi Franin welcome to the 8801 forum, I hope all is well with the new toy and its getting you back up and running full speed ! I'd love to hear your thoughts on it when your all setup!
post #6053 of 11971 Old 06-07-2013, 07:41 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

Hi Franin welcome to the 8801 forum, I hope all is well with the new toy and its getting you back up and running full speed ! I'd love to hear your thoughts on it when your all setup!

Thanks for the welcome audiofan1, I will be recieving the unit next week which I'm looking forward to it im curious to how well it will match up with my POA A1HD. At the moment I'm just trying to set everything up so when I recieve it im ready to go.

Frank

post #6054 of 11971 Old 06-07-2013, 07:45 PM

Audiofan-

I appreciate your thoughtful comments.
I feel like I've done what I can do, which seems like a pretty valiant effort.

Do you have any suggestions? Have there been many defective 8801's that you've heard of?
This would be my first defective pre-pro or receiver.

Thanks for anyone's input.

Peter

pmandt
post #6055 of 11971 Old 06-07-2013, 07:47 PM

Liked: 100
Quote:

I've had a few bugs:

I

Aha! - another owner with the 'Dialog Enhancer' not holding it setting!
(that makes it 3of us that I know of now...).
I tried Audiofan1's suggestion (in post #6038 above - thank you by the way!), but it didn't work. Still won't hold that setting.
And like Audifan1 mentioned, when I make the change, I can hear it, but after exiting the menu, I'll go back in later to check and its back on "Off", again...

So, akopper'?, you think the latest firmware update fixed this problem, even though its not mentioned in Marantz's listing?
Odd then that the guy at Marantz who responded to my email inquiry acted like he'd never heard of the problem before.

In any case, its not an earth-shaking problem, but I haven't updated the firmware since early February, and I'm not hard wired in, so its a bit of a hassle to do it...frown.gif
But I'll probably move up the date that I would have later done it then.

The Insane Pink Care Bear's Home Theater Set Up:

Marantz AV 8801 Processor, Emotiva XPR-5 Amplifier, Panasonic 65" ST30 Plasma, Yamaha BD-S2900 Blu-ray, Yamaha CDC-697 CD Player, Yamaha TT-500U Turntable, w/Signet TK5e, JBL ES100 Fronts, JBL LC2 Center, JBL ES30 Surrounds & 2 JBL ES250P Subwoofers
post #6056 of 11971 Old 06-07-2013, 08:13 PM

Kal

The HDMI is set to AVP, I just checked.

I've run the setup program multiple times with NO audio output from any of the 11 speakers which are hooked up with:

RCA to the subs currently, but I've also tried XLR into my Paradigm seismic 110.

RCA to my side and rear surrounds, hooked up to an ATI 2505, which is RCA only

XLR to my Lexicon RX-7, but I've tried RCA also
and ran the setup multiple times.

I've never heard a peep from this device except for some hum when I had some of the RCA cables on.

I would certainly appreciate any help.

Peter

pmandt
post #6057 of 11971 Old 06-07-2013, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Audiofan-

I appreciate your thoughtful comments.
I feel like I've done what I can do, which seems like a pretty valiant effort.

Do you have any suggestions? Have there been many defective 8801's that you've heard of?
This would be my first defective pre-pro or receiver.

Thanks for anyone's input.

Peter

Last resort wink.gif check and recheck all connections to the amp and the inputs to the 8801, and use the initial setup assistant again ! Sometimes even we seasoned one's can miss a step or plug in something into the wrong input smile.gif
post #6058 of 11971 Old 06-07-2013, 08:19 PM

BTW,
I unplugged the RCA cables from the front channels at one point and plugged them in to an old lexicon DC-1 I had lying around to check the amp and speaker connections which works fine, but still nothing but video from the 8801, which stays on even in standby mode.

Peter

pmandt
post #6059 of 11971 Old 06-07-2013, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Do you have a pair of headphones handy? Can you get any sound from the tuner ie. FM radio station to the 8801's headphone out?
post #6060 of 11971 Old 06-07-2013, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Thanks for the welcome audiofan1, I will be recieving the unit next week which I'm looking forward to it im curious to how well it will match up with my POA A1HD. At the moment I'm just trying to set everything up so when I recieve it im ready to go.

Preemptive strike on the setup, I like the way you think should be an interesting pairing with the venerable POA A1HD can't wait to hear about the results!

Oh and save "OZ" as a treat when its all settled I think you'll like what you hear wink.gif
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Ken Kreisel Dxd 12012 Subwoofer , Marantz Av8801 , Receivers Amplifiers , Audyssey , Integra
Gear in this thread - Av8801 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page