AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeah32 View Post

Hey there, mi amigo!!smile.gif

So far I have been VERY happy with the 8801! I've had it for close to 3 months now and have not had a single issue with the 12v triggers.smile.gif

Muchas gracias, amigo.

That's good to know. Triggers are about as basic a feature as you can get. Glad to hear they're all firing.biggrin.gif Any other thoughts pros/cons you have on the 8801?

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6302 of 12271 Old 06-19-2013, 11:49 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Muchas gracias, amigo.

That's good to know. Triggers are about as basic a feature as you can get. Glad to hear they're all firing.biggrin.gif Any other thoughts pros/cons you have on the 8801?

Wabo I don't see any Cons I'm very impressed with the unit. The pros is we get the full version of XT32, which made a big difference.

Frank
post #6303 of 12271 Old 06-19-2013, 11:50 PM
CIH USER

Have a think about Wabo who knows you might end up getting one.

Frank
post #6304 of 12271 Old 06-20-2013, 03:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Muchas gracias, amigo.

Like Frank said, this is a fantastic pre/pro! I really haven't seen any negatives with this unit. It is quite a difference from the AVP, but mainly differences with the way the menus are. This one is very straight forward, and is actually easier to navigate through. There are some things that the AVP has that this one doesn't, like a separate menu for 2 channel. But on a positive note, this one does allow for separate sub levels for 2 channel listening like the AVP. So for movies it stays one way and for 2 channel you can have it set another.

The menu system on this one has less sub menus compared to the AVP. With the Denon one can literally get lost with all the sub menus it has. So in a way I see this as a plus, as it's so much easier to be up and running, and won't take the months of learning like the AVP required.

The 8801 doesn't allow channel levels to be adjusted on the fly like the AVP. So if you need to raise the center channel, you have to go into the menu. Thankfully this is something that is usually only required once and then left alone. So I haven't found it to be a major omission. Sound quality wise, this pre/pro delivers the goods with both movies and music.smile.gif And it's a great match for Martin Logans! The sound is neutral like the AVP, so it doesn't sound bright.

This was one of my primary concerns, being that this has no THX processing modes. On the AVP I always left THX Ultra 2 on for movies and HD satellite. But with Audyssey XT32 engaged along with dynamic EQ, this Marantz sounds sweet! Dynamic and powerful, yet easy on the ears.smile.gif

The fit and finish of this pre/pro is first rate also! And in no way has a cheap feel or look. And like the AVP, this one is also made in Japan.smile.gif
dlynch34 likes this.
post #6305 of 12271 Old 06-20-2013, 03:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:

Like Frank said, this is a fantastic pre/pro! I really haven't seen any negatives with this unit. It is quite a difference from the AVP, but mainly differences with the way the menus are. This one is very straight forward, and is actually easier to navigate through. There are some things that the AVP has that this one doesn't, like a separate menu for 2 channel. But on a positive note, this one does allow for separate sub levels for 2 channel listening like the AVP. So for movies it stays one way and for 2 channel you can have it set another.

The menu system on this one has less sub menus compared to the AVP. With the Denon one can literally get lost with all the sub menus it has. So in a way I see this as a plus, as it's so much easier to be up and running, and won't take the months of learning like the AVP required.

The 8801 doesn't allow channel levels to be adjusted on the fly like the AVP. So if you need to raise the center channel, you have to go into the menu. Thankfully this is something that is usually only required once and then left alone. So I haven't found it to be a major omission. Sound quality wise, this pre/pro delivers the goods with both movies and music.smile.gif And it's a great match for Martin Logans! The sound is neutral like the AVP, so it doesn't sound bright.

This was one of my primary concerns, being that this has no THX processing modes. On the AVP I always left THX Ultra 2 on for movies and HD satellite. But with Audyssey XT32 engaged along with dynamic EQ, this Marantz sounds sweet! Dynamic and powerful, yet easy on the ears.smile.gif

The fit and finish of this pre/pro is first rate also! And in no way has a cheap feel or look. And like the AVP, this one is also made in Japan.smile.gif

Hi, if you have an iPhone or iPad you can use the deremote app to adjust many settings, including Audyssey and channel levels on the fly, without opening up the main menu. I'm sure there is something for android also, just not the deremote.
post #6306 of 12271 Old 06-20-2013, 06:13 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

Hi, if you have an iPhone or iPad you can use the deremote app to adjust many settings, including Audyssey and channel levels on the fly, without opening up the main menu. I'm sure there is something for android also, just not the deremote.

That's a good App

Frank
post #6307 of 12271 Old 06-20-2013, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

That's a good App

Yeah it is. I use it everyday and it's nice because you don't have to turn your panel on. Like many apps sometimes you have to close it and reopen it to get it to work, but basically no issues for me.
post #6308 of 12271 Old 06-20-2013, 06:41 AM
CIH USER

How do you use airplay on the marantz?

Frank
post #6309 of 12271 Old 06-20-2013, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How do you use airplay on the marantz?

Lower right corner, this is a pic I found on the net.

On your idevice in your music there's an arrow, click on it and it should list the Marantz AV8801 and your device, just click on the 8801. It should also work in iTunes on your PC. Arrow is up the top left on iTunes.
post #6310 of 12271 Old 06-20-2013, 07:23 AM

Liked: 10
There seems to be some inconsistent performance when trying to use JRiver via dlna.
post #6311 of 12271 Old 06-20-2013, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wabo I don't see any Cons I'm very impressed with the unit. The pros is we get the full version of XT32, which made a big difference.

Thanks, Franin. What I like to hear.
Quote:

Have a think about Wabo who knows you might end up getting one.

Lol. I am having a think about it.biggrin.gif

post #6312 of 12271 Old 06-20-2013, 07:37 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post

JR River dlna or JR river from the computer?
Fairly new with the 8801 but JRiver from the computer appears to work well.
I am having some issues with the 8801 and overall network compatibility via the media server and using JRiver dlna.
post #6313 of 12271 Old 06-20-2013, 07:41 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

Lower right corner, this is a pic I found on the net.

On your idevice in your music there's an arrow, click on it and it should list the Marantz AV8801 and your device, just click on the 8801. It should also work in iTunes on your PC.

That's awesome thank you.

Frank
post #6314 of 12271 Old 06-20-2013, 07:47 AM
CIH USER

I hope someone can answer this question and help me. I had to get rid of my Duo due to incompatibility with the Marantz but I need to purchase the Lumagen Mini. I dont want to purchase if it causes lip sync issues.

I need to go Components to Marantz to Lumagen Mini to JVC Projector.

Is anyone going this way

Thanks

Frank
post #6315 of 12271 Old 06-20-2013, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's awesome thank you.

Your welcome, it's a great feature smile.gif
post #6316 of 12271 Old 06-20-2013, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If it's good enough to make the Franin & ohyeah cut, then it's like Marsellus Wallace sending The Wolf. That's all you had to say.biggrin.gif

I had heard the menu is much more streamlined. Keep in mind it's been a good 5 years since I've played with another pre/pro. I might be all thumbs for awhile.

I just assumed it had THX. Not that this is a deal breaker. Would have been a nice addition though.

Glad to hear it matches so well with our MLs. I appreciate the fact it's made in Japan and not China or Malaysia. Lots to think about, amigo.smile.gif

post #6317 of 12271 Old 06-20-2013, 09:01 AM
Say No to Auto EQ

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Liked: 981
THX is a fancy marketing gimmick for the most part. The fact is the "THX" people just put their stamp of approval on the unit, and then Onkyo can show it as "better" than other AVR and pre's. There quite honestly is nothing that makes it any better to begin with. You get a THX mode... which some people like, and it tells you the 80hz crossover is THX spec when you select it. Well, both of these things can still be accomplished without it in the first place.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #6318 of 12271 Old 06-20-2013, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

THX is a fancy marketing gimmick for the most part. The fact is the "THX" people just put their stamp of approval on the unit, and then Onkyo can show it as "better" than other AVR and pre's. There quite honestly is nothing that makes it any better to begin with. You get a THX mode... which some people like, and it tells you the 80hz crossover is THX spec when you select it. Well, both of these things can still be accomplished without it in the first place.

+1
post #6319 of 12271 Old 06-20-2013, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Like I said. Not a deal breaker.

post #6320 of 12271 Old 06-20-2013, 10:12 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

The 8801 doesn't allow channel levels to be adjusted on the fly like the AVP. So if you need to raise the center channel, you have to go into the menu. Thankfully this is something that is usually only required once and then left alone. So I haven't found it to be a major omission.

There are discrete IR remote codes available to adjust individual channel volume.
post #6321 of 12271 Old 06-20-2013, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
In the new July issue of Stereophile, Kalman Rubinson writes another fine article where he discusses Oppo's recently added feature (in beta) to the BDP-103 and 105 that allows them to play downloaded DSD files through USB connected hard drives and SMB/CIFS network access.

He then writes about the DeRemote app that allows one to control the AV8801 from any iOS device like an iPad or iPhone. In that section he also gives his thoughts on the subject that I brought to the attention of this thread in this post. While I initially was disappointed to learn that the 8801 down-samples high-resolution PCM to 48kHz/24 bits, I've come to the same conclusion that Kal makes in that the MultEQ XT32 room correction benefits outweigh the marginal effects of the increase in resolution.

I've contacted both Audyssey and Marantz on this issue. Since I've been very busy lately, I have not followed up with their responses on this thread but I will try to do so by this weekend.

BTW, good work Kal!
post #6322 of 12271 Old 06-20-2013, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam88 View Post

In the new July issue of Stereophile, Kalman Rubinson writes another fine article where he discusses Oppo's recently added feature (in beta) to the BDP-103 and 105 that allows them to play downloaded DSD files through USB connected hard drives and SMB/CIFS network access.

He then writes about the DeRemote app that allows one to control the AV8801 from any iOS device like an iPad or iPhone. In that section he also gives his thoughts on the subject that I brought to the attention of this thread in this post. While I initially was disappointed to learn that the 8801 down-samples high-resolution PCM to 48kHz/24 bits, I've come to the same conclusion that Kal makes in that the MultEQ XT32 room correction benefits outweigh the marginal effects of the increase in resolution.

I've contacted both Audyssey and Marantz on this issue. Since I've been very busy lately, I have not followed up with their responses on this thread but I will try to do so by this weekend.

BTW, good work Kal!

I've pondered on this lately and wonder if that's one of the reasons the "Bypass FR/FL" option exist as I use this option from time to time ( mostly) when playing multi ch sacd's .
post #6323 of 12271 Old 06-20-2013, 02:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

I've pondered on this lately and wonder if that's one of the reasons the "Bypass FR/FL" option exist as I use this option from time to time ( mostly) when playing multi ch sacd's .

I hadn't thought of that.  I had thought the "Bypass FR/FL" option existed only for me as it lets me enjoy a pair of speakers in for review without doing a full run of Audyssey. biggrin.gif

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #6324 of 12271 Old 06-20-2013, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

I hadn't thought of that.  I had thought the "Bypass FR/FL" option
 existed only for me as it lets me enjoy a pair of speakers in for review without doing a full run of Audyssey. 
biggrin.gif
Now that would indeed make it a true reviewers pre/pro! you must dream of gear like this biggrin.gif
post #6325 of 12271 Old 06-20-2013, 06:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

Now that would indeed make it a true reviewers pre/pro! you must dream of gear like this biggrin.gif

It is one of the reasons I bought it.  Also I recently bought a 5.1channel analog preamp for my other system so that I could have more options.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #6326 of 12271 Old 06-20-2013, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Whi
Quote:

It is one of the reasons I bought it.  Also I recently bought a 5.1channel analog preamp for my other system so that I could have more options.
Which 5.1 preamp? Assume this is for your main system (B&W)?

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Ayre K-5xeMP, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650.
post #6327 of 12271 Old 06-20-2013, 07:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post

Whi
Which 5.1 preamp? Assume this is for your main system (B&W)?

Audio Research MP1 for main system.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #6328 of 12271 Old 06-20-2013, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:

Audio Research MP1 for main system.
Sweet! Did you consider the SP3 for this role? What is your source?

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Ayre K-5xeMP, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650.
post #6329 of 12271 Old 06-20-2013, 08:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post

Sweet! Did you consider the SP3 for this role? What is your source?

No.  I needed multiple MCH inputs.  Multiple MCH sources including the 3xMytek setup.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #6330 of 12271 Old 06-20-2013, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

I decided to join the party. There goes the neighborhood.biggrin.gif

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
markrubin likes this.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Ken Kreisel Dxd 12012 Subwoofer , Marantz Av8801 , Receivers Amplifiers , Audyssey , Integra
Gear in this thread - Av8801 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page