Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread - Page 214 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6391 of 12127 Old 06-23-2013, 09:01 AM
CIH USER

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
When you guys are talking about downsampling are we talking about using analog connection?

I put my Spears and Munsil disc ( the new one ) and when I played there audio demo my OSD display showed 96khz, mind you that's using hdmi with Audyssey on. That's why I wanted to confirm if it analog or digital ?

I'm very happy with the Marantz having the full version of XT32 has really opened up the surrounds. Matching it with my POA A1HD sounds very nice, I find there is a perfect balance now with fronts and surrounds.

Frank

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6392 of 12127 Old 06-23-2013, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

When you guys are talking about downsampling are we talking about using analog connection?

I put my Spears and Munsil disc ( the new one ) and when I played there audio demo my OSD display showed 96khz, mind you that's using hdmi with Audyssey on. That's why I wanted to confirm if it analog or digital ?

I'm very happy with the Marantz having the full version of XT32 has really opened up the surrounds. Matching it with my POA A1HD sounds very nice, I find there is a perfect balance now with fronts and surrounds.

Dead on assessment of the 8801 wink.gif what its done for the rear soundstage has been its most noticeable improvement to surround sound and has given new life to my movie collection. I sometimes find it hard to believe I'm running a 5.1 setup as that 360 degree room lock and precise placement of effects right in your lap, is nothing short of amazing.

As for the downsampling , its digital or shall we say only when Audyssey is engaged , the 96khz is the input signal and from what I understand its the output signal that's downsampled when Audyssey is applied .
post #6393 of 12127 Old 06-23-2013, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

No, the analog inputs bypass Audyssey, which is the circuitry that downsamples. I've read statements that claim the downsampling is either to 96 khz or 48khz, and if true, the latter is no better than a standard RBCD.

DALI Epicon 2 front speakers; DALI Epicon Vokal center speaker; Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000 surrounds; SVS SB 13 Ultra subwoofer; Marantz AV 8801 pre/pro; Parasound Halo A51 power amp; Sony XA5400ES SACD player; Oppo BDP 105 SACD/Blu-ray player; Sennheiser HD 800 headphones; Woo Audio WA6 headphone amp.
post #6394 of 12127 Old 06-23-2013, 10:17 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

Dead on assessment of the 8801 wink.gif what its done for the rear soundstage has been its most noticeable improvement to surround sound and has given new life to my movie collection. I sometimes find it hard to believe I'm running a 5.1 setup as that 360 degree room lock and precise placement of effects right in your lap, is nothing short of amazing.

As for the downsampling , its digital or shall we say only when Audyssey is engaged , the 96khz is the input signal and from what I understand its the output signal that's downsampled when Audyssey is applied .

Is that most units when Audyssey is applied or just the Marantz? It doesn't matter too much to me the only 96khz disc I own are the demo on a Spears and Munsil Blu Ray.

Frank

post #6395 of 12127 Old 06-23-2013, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:

Is that most units when Audyssey is applied or just the Marantz? It doesn't matter too much to me the only 96khz disc I own are the demo on a Spears and Munsil Blu Ray.

It was most that use Audyssey,there was a link to the write up here a probably more than 4-5 weeks ago. I believe the Anthem's maintained the 96khz at output but it uses there own ( ARC) As to how far this goes back, who knows. If you hadn't told me, I'd have known none the better biggrin.gif I usually bypass my mains for multi/ch sacd and even when I do leave audyssey on for them the sound is still phenomenal and in the end its all that matters to me, and I don't use audyssey for 2/ch hi res files or any stereo playback for that matter ( well treated room, Oppo 105 and a good preamp in the 8801) anyway now if its fixable with a firmware update, that's just the icing on the cake with a cherry on top for good measure wink.gif
post #6396 of 12127 Old 06-23-2013, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post

If stereo is down sampled with Audyssey , why can't Marantz change the firmware to accept 96 for two channels since it has enough resources for 11 channels at 48?

Just to give you a head's up on this subject, I put forth the following question to Marantz:

"Since the AV8801 must be able to process 13 channels with MultEQ XT32, will you consider modifying the firmware in order to support at least up to 192kHz/24bits for stereo and 96kHz/24bits for 5.1 multichannel setups? That should allow for roughly the same amount of DSP resources."

The response from Marantz technical support was:

"We appreciate the feedback, but there are currently no plans to modify the 8801 in this way with firmware. "
post #6397 of 12127 Old 06-23-2013, 08:56 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam88 View Post

Just to give you a head's up on this subject, I put forth the following question to Marantz:

"Since the AV8801 must be able to process 13 channels with MultEQ XT32, will you consider modifying the firmware in order to support at least up to 192kHz/24bits for stereo and 96kHz/24bits for 5.1 multichannel setups? That should allow for roughly the same amount of DSP resources."

The response from Marantz technical support was:

"We appreciate the feedback, but there are currently no plans to modify the 8801 in this way with firmware. "

What's the audio benefit going 96khz over 48khz?

Frank

post #6398 of 12127 Old 06-23-2013, 09:13 PM

Quote:

Does the integra 80.3 process 96khz with audyssey ?

The Integra DHC-9.9, a processor from about 4 years ago that featured MultEQ XT, is reported to support sample rates of up to 96kHz/24bits according to the owner's manual. In the Equalizer section that explains how to enable MultEQ XT, on page 111 of the manual, it's stated in the notes paragraph: "The Equalizer settings have no effect on 176.4/192 kHz input signals.".

One can therefore infer (in theory) that sample rates of up to 96 kHz will be supported for MultEQ XT and the other Audyssey processing features (DynamicEQ & Dynamic Volume).

A couple of months ago, I looked in the PDF manuals of the subsequent models (DHC-80.1, DHC-80.2 & DHC-80.3) by reading the MultEQ XT/XT32 sections and performing fairly thorough searches with the "96kHz" and "192 kHz" keywords and reading the information surrounding those keywords. I couldn't find any similar statements specifying the sample rate limit of the equalizer setting (i.e. MultEQ), which I find suspicious since it was clearly indicated in the older model's manual (DHC-9.9).

Considering that MultEQ XT32 seems to require some additional DSP resources over MultEQ XT (despite the claims made by Audyssey) and that the DHC-80.3 must apply the XT32 filters to a high number of channels (11) with DSP resources comparable to the AV8801, I would personally therefore conclude that the Integra DHC-80.3 most likely supports a sample rate of up to 48 kHz with a word depth of 24 bits. I could be wrong but unless Integra can specifically indicate otherwise, that seems like the most realistic outcome. But you can ask Integra, hopefully they will answer.
post #6399 of 12127 Old 06-23-2013, 09:34 PM

Quote:

Does NAD have XT32? With current technology it could be a trade off xt and 96 vs xt32 and 48. Still one would think XT32, 96, and stereo would be feasible even if multichannel were not.

NAD despite using their Modular Design Construction (MDC) architecture on their AVRs and processors, which in theory should make upgrades to newer technologies more flexible and faster to implement, have yet to come out with a module that supports MultEQ XT32. Onkyo/Integra and Denon, in contrast, have already produced two generations of AVRs and/or processors that feature MultEQ XT32 in the last two years. So much for the advantages of a modular architecture...
post #6400 of 12127 Old 06-23-2013, 09:38 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

I have to say coming from the Denon AVP A1HD I was kinda worried that the Marantz won't preform as good.
I have to say my worries are over I'm very impressed. I haven't lost anything regarding audio in moving to Marantz but gained a full version of Audyssey XT32.
The sub eq HT is definitely a bonus but as mentioned before the surrounds have really opened up. I find there is a perfect balance also between the fronts and surrounds as well as heights.
The way it is set now I am very happy. smile.gif

Frank

post #6401 of 12127 Old 06-23-2013, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Quote:

I have to say coming from the Denon AVP A1HD I was kinda worried that the Marantz won't preform as good.
I have to say my worries are over I'm very impressed. I haven't lost anything regarding audio in moving to Marantz but gained a full version of Audyssey XT32.
The sub eq HT is definitely a bonus but as mentioned before the surrounds have really opened up. I find there is a perfect balance also between the fronts and surrounds as well as heights.

I'm glad your happy smile.gif
Have you tried a good blu ray movie with DTS MA for the audio? Oh it's a treat biggrin.gif
post #6402 of 12127 Old 06-23-2013, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

I'm not to happy if the 8801 down samples my high res SACD's, especially if NAD and I'm assuming others process 23/96 with Audyssey engaged.

comfynumb,

Don't worry, be happy. If you follow Kalman Rubinson's "Music in the Round" column on Stereophile, if you don't you should, you'll see that he reviewed the NAD T 187 processor (MultEQ XT only). In the following instance of his column, he reviewed the 8801 and stated: "Overall, the Marantz AV8801 is the best-sounding preamplifier-processor I have heard at or below its price.". You can draw your own conclusions. smile.gif
post #6403 of 12127 Old 06-23-2013, 10:10 PM
CIH USER

Quote:

Anyone ?

Frank

post #6404 of 12127 Old 06-23-2013, 10:13 PM
CIH USER

Quote:

I'm glad your happy smile.gif
Have you tried a good blu ray movie with DTS MA for the audio? Oh it's a treat biggrin.gif

Agree I've tried a number of films and they all sound great.

Frank

post #6405 of 12127 Old 06-23-2013, 10:33 PM

Quote:

It depends on who you believe. Perhaps a slight improvement in transient response but if the two sampling rates have a 24-bit word length then they'll share the same dynamic range and noise floor, which is increased over conventional CD.

However, at least two studies cast doubt the supposed superiority of higher resolution audio.

One is titled: "Audibility of a CD-Standard A/D/A Loop Inserted into High-Resolution Audio Playback" conducted by two members from the Boston Audio Society.

Another, titled: "Perceptual Discrimination between Musical Sounds with and without Very High Frequency Components" was done in Japan by NHK Laboratories.
post #6406 of 12127 Old 06-23-2013, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 499
Quote:

That's great to hear, Franin.

I also am coming from the big Denon. And although I haven't hooked my 8801 up yet, I have to say reading real world reports such as yours, sets my mind at ease. Especially since we're coming from the same pre/pro. It will be nice to finally have the full version of XT32. I've set two BDs aside to break her in. Last Stand and Oz. I read both have impressive audio tracks. Looking forward to turning this to 11.wink.gif

Growing Older But Not Up
post #6407 of 12127 Old 06-23-2013, 10:39 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

That's great to hear, Franin.

I also am coming from the big Denon. And although I haven't hooked my 8801 up yet, I have to say reading real world reports such as yours, sets my mind at ease. Especially since we're coming from the same pre/pro. It will be nice to finally have the full version of XT32. I've set two BDs aside to break her in. Last Stand and Oz. I read both have impressive audio tracks. Looking forward to turning this to 11.wink.gif

I'm watching the Last Stand tonight and hopefully recieve Oz sometime later this week.

Frank

post #6408 of 12127 Old 06-23-2013, 11:48 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Is anyone still running their AS-EQ1 with their 8801?
post #6409 of 12127 Old 06-24-2013, 12:42 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewa View Post

Is anyone still running their AS-EQ1 with their 8801?

There shouldn't be any need to as the Marantz has Sub Eq

Frank

post #6410 of 12127 Old 06-24-2013, 02:06 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Yeah that's my thoughts also, but I remember someone saying the AS-EQ1 could handle multiple subs better than some x32 amps, I am looking to add a second sub in finishing my room so can't test, but if the 8801 is as capable I can look at on selling the AS-EQ1
post #6411 of 12127 Old 06-24-2013, 03:34 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewa View Post

Yeah that's my thoughts also, but I remember someone saying the AS-EQ1 could handle multiple subs better than some x32 amps, I am looking to add a second sub in finishing my room so can't test, but if the 8801 is as capable I can look at on selling the AS-EQ1

Your right some didnt have the Sub Eq like my previous AVP

Frank

post #6412 of 12127 Old 06-24-2013, 07:22 AM
The Truth Hz

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 722
"I think that perhaps they implemented this "Bypass FR/FL" option figuring that some folks may prefer to apply MultEQ XT32 on their other speakers and their subwoofer while leaving intact the sonic character of their main left and right front channels. This scenario probably works best when setting the main L/R speakers to "Small" and using a higher crossover point of 250 Hz and then setting the LPF for LFE (Low Pass Filter for Low Frequency Effects) to 250 Hz as well so that the subwoofer plays everything below 250 Hz. This way you can apply MultEQ XT32 room correction where it's most needed - in the lower frequencies - while leaving intact most of the sonic character of your main speakers, albeit minus their low end."

I don't see how anyone with quality mains would ever set them at 250hz to their subs. That is pretty silly when you, at that high of an XO, are easily going to be able to localize the subs. It is even going to be splitting parts of the vocal range between two speakers. Big no-no. I understand your concept, but I would venture a guess that anyone running this Pre has more than capable mains in the first place.

Sonic signatures are basically speaker companies massaging the frequency response or phasing to create their own "sound." If you are in the "I want the response dead flat" camp then Audyssey is going to do that for you. If you want to keep that sonic signature, then bypass your mains and go with how you speaker manufacturer wants you to hear it. Neither is wrong, just preference.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6413 of 12127 Old 06-24-2013, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Quote:

Some food for thought:

24/192k Music Downloads... and why they make no sense.
post #6414 of 12127 Old 06-24-2013, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Quote:

As opposed to a good blu ray with Dolby TrueHD or PCM? wink.gif
Dave Vaughn likes this.
post #6415 of 12127 Old 06-24-2013, 11:12 AM
The Truth Hz

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

Some food for thought:

24/192k Music Downloads... and why they make no sense.

Excellent article. For those that don't want to read the whole thing:

"In 554 trials, listeners chose correctly 49.8% of the time. In other words, they were guessing. Not one listener throughout the entire test was able to identify which was 16/44.1 and which was high rate [15], and the 16-bit signal wasn't even dithered!"

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

post #6416 of 12127 Old 06-24-2013, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:

wow..I didn't know you had also left the AVP!

did some of you miss out on the upgrade? I thought Franin, you were one who had done the upgrade.

Steve
post #6417 of 12127 Old 06-24-2013, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

wow..I didn't know you had also left the AVP!

did some of you miss out on the upgrade? I thought Franin, you were one who had done the upgrade.

We both came from the AVP and we both had the upgrade done. It was after the fact we discovered we were given the lite version of XT32. The Sub EQ was omitted. For me, that and a few other factors played into me getting the 8801. Can't speak for the Franin.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #6418 of 12127 Old 06-24-2013, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

We both came from the AVP and we both had the upgrade done. It was after the fact we discovered we were given the lite version of XT32. The Sub EQ was omitted. For me, that and a few other factors played into me getting the 8801. Can't speak for the Franin.

eek.gif count me shocked to read that

I thought SubEQ was automatically part of Multi32XT. just curious, how did you guys discover SubEQ was missing? if true, that seems like a gross omission by Denon & certainly misleading advertising about the upgrade. getting 32XT with sub integration was one of the main reasons for the upgrade.

now I really am glad I didn't get the AVP last year rolleyes.gif even though it certainly is a great prepro. I was doing some serious shopping around on refurbs, and checking A-gon for used players with DenonLink when I learned that the AVP's DenonLink connection was orphaned. now this too?

I'm genuinely shocked that subEQ would not have been part of the upgrade, especially since it was $1000. I don't blame you guys for moving on then...the 8801 would be a logical & excellent replacement smile.gif

Steve
post #6419 of 12127 Old 06-24-2013, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam88 View Post

comfynumb,

Don't worry, be happy. If you follow Kalman Rubinson's "Music in the Round" column on Stereophile, if you don't you should, you'll see that he reviewed the NAD T 187 processor (MultEQ XT only). In the following instance of his column, he reviewed the 8801 and stated: "Overall, the Marantz AV8801 is the best-sounding preamplifier-processor I have heard at or below its price.". You can draw your own conclusions. smile.gif

You should make that into a song biggrin.gif
I know Mr R had some great things to say about the 8801 and I agree it's a great pre/pro, I'm just a little disappointed about the SACD part. That said if no one told me I wouldn't have known the difference smile.gif
post #6420 of 12127 Old 06-24-2013, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

eek.gif count me shocked to read that

I thought SubEQ was automatically part of Multi32XT. just curious, how did you guys discover SubEQ was missing? if true, that seems like a gross omission by Denon & certainly misleading advertising about the upgrade. getting 32XT with sub integration was one of the main reasons for the upgrade.

now I really am glad I didn't get the AVP last year rolleyes.gif even though it certainly is a great prepro. I was doing some serious shopping around on refurbs, and checking A-gon for used players with DenonLink when I learned that the AVP's DenonLink connection was orphaned. now this too?

I'm genuinely shocked that subEQ would not have been part of the upgrade, especially since it was $1000. I don't blame you guys for moving on then...the 8801 would be a logical & excellent replacement smile.gif

It almost sounds like Denon is getting ready to come out with a new pre/pro. I know they still have a dedicated AVP following, but I think even they can't deny it's getting a little dated, even though I understand they are a great product.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Ken Kreisel Dxd 12012 Subwoofer , Marantz Av8801 , Receivers Amplifiers , Audyssey , Integra
Gear in this thread - Av8801 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page