exm
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHF View Post

I, too disagree with bashing, in this case Emotiva. If we all forego Chinese electronics, we may soon be stuck.
The differences I heard between amps would likely be absolutely meaningless to a vast majority of listeners. Not that Golden Ears are needed, but you do need to put a value, and a high one at that, on small differences. Sometimes things like speaker brand and impedance can be important. I read one guy who thought the Parasounds were awful - way too bright. Maybe in his system? I have heard the Marantz amp, emotiva, Parasound Halo, and SimAudio amps.

Emo's are a tremendous value. You have to spend more to get more, and diminishing marginal returns come into play big time.

This came about as a response to a specific question regarding Emos, Halos and the 8801. So, without Emo bashing, I think Halos sound just a little bit better.

The problem is this. Emotiva owners in general justify their purchase by saying those amps are a bargain (I concur), but then go on to state the more expensive amps like Parasounds are not worth the money. Here's my opinion: the Marantz might not be considered high end to some, but it very well might be high end to others. If you spend $3,500 on a processor it's fair to assume the owner has good to great speakers, and amplifiers come into the picture. I have no problems if people want to save money by getting Emotiva amps, but sometimes I feel Emotiva owners ridicule owners that choose more expensive amps.

Here's my take: if you buy a good amp, you probably keep it until it dies. Processors are replaced every 1-10 years. I'm running with the Parasound A51 for main/center/side and the Marantz MM8807 for the other 6 channels. This combination gives me near high-end sound with the Parasound amp for the important channels, and the very capable Marantz for the height/wides. I encourage everyone to try out different amps, but I believe that people in this forum are in general not in the 'every amp sounds the same crowd'.
audiofan1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7022 of 12010 Old 07-21-2013, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
If you have an oppo 103 or 105 , you could input you 1080i sources into it , process, and go to your tv with video (hdmi 1)and sound going on to the 8801(HDMI 2) using the split setting.
post #7023 of 12010 Old 07-21-2013, 04:51 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post

The problem is this. Emotiva owners in general justify their purchase by saying those amps are a bargain (I concur), but then go on to state the more expensive amps like Parasounds are not worth the money. Here's my opinion: the Marantz might not be considered high end to some, but it very well might be high end to others. If you spend $3,500 on a processor it's fair to assume the owner has good to great speakers, and amplifiers come into the picture. I have no problems if people want to save money by getting E..... amps, but sometimes I feel E...... owners ridicule owners that choose more expensive amps. Here's my take: if you buy a good amp, you probably keep it until it dies. Processors are replaced every 1-10 years. I'm running with the Parasound A51 for main/center/side and the Marantz MM8807 for the other 6 channels. This combination gives me near high-end sound with the Parasound amp for the important channels, and the very capable Marantz for the height/wides. I encourage everyone to try out different amps, but I believe that people in this forum are in general not in the 'every amp sounds the same crowd'.

Yes I agree, in addition Emotiva amps smell like burned electronics, never in the past thirty years of buying electronic gear have I had that problem, and I owned many brands such as Parasound, Onkyo, Integra, Yamaha, Pioneer, TEAC, Classe, Denon, Sony ES, Marantz, Nuforce.......

Not ever did any of these Pre/Pro, Amplifiers, Players smelled like Emotiva. The problem I have is that not only they were horrendous but the company denied there was any thing wrong, yet any person, friends, family, clients who walked into the room where the E were information three weeks asked about the smell!!!

So say what you want but E.... is the last company I will ever give my money to, I would rathe work with a dealer who is willing to give me a reasonable discount and buy a product that will provide years of satisfaction! But that's just me!
post #7024 of 12010 Old 07-21-2013, 05:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

Thanks. My wife gets the credit for being a stay at home Mom. It really makes a difference.

As for the M&K's...thanks. First time I heard them I fell in love with them. Great for movie soundtracks, which is 98% of what I listen to (and watch).

Jaclyn loves your rack/shelves. Nice set up. smile.gif

For my latest Reviews and stuff Search -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Follow me: @joerodhometheat
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
post #7025 of 12010 Old 07-21-2013, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

Your welcome and it sounds like you have a good better half also smile.gif nice setup too, looks great. I have to ask, I'm assuming that is a fan under the 8801, do you have it pushing air up through the Marantz?

That's actually a pullout shelf so I can move equipment in and out easily. I'll update my picture with the Coolerguys fans that I hung from the top shelves blowing air across the top of the A51 and 8801 and it dropped the temperature nearly 20 degrees on the Marantz (from 115 to 95). I ordered two more fans and I'll have four in there later this week to try and get temps below 90, if possible. In total I've dropped about $150 on fans, but I think the investment is wise.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #7026 of 12010 Old 07-21-2013, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Jaclyn loves your rack/shelves. Nice set up. smile.gif

Thanks Joe (and Jaclyn). A friend helped me build it (only took a day to build, 3 days to prime and paint the damn thing!). All my wired run through the wall behind the unit either up to the attic or down underneath the house (cable signal and speaker wires). The only thing I wish I did was run smurf tube and PVC pipes in the wall. When I built everything I didn't think far enough ahead. If I ever have to run another wire in the future, I'm just going to dismantle everything, rip the drywall out and redo the setup. It will take a couple of days, but it will be WELL worth it in the long run, that's for sure!

David Vaughn

post #7027 of 12010 Old 07-21-2013, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 408
Quote:

That's actually a pullout shelf so I can move equipment in and out easily. I'll update my picture with the Coolerguys fans that I hung from the top shelves blowing air across the top of the A51 and 8801 and it dropped the temperature nearly 20 degrees on the Marantz (from 115 to 95). I ordered two more fans and I'll have four in there later this week to try and get temps below 90, if possible. In total I've dropped about $150 on fans, but I think the investment is wise.

I like the pullout idea, makes things much easier smile.gif
post #7028 of 12010 Old 07-22-2013, 12:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Quote:

Thanks. My wife gets the credit for being a stay at home Mom. It really makes a difference.

As for the M&K's...thanks. First time I heard them I fell in love with them. Great for movie soundtracks, which is 98% of what I listen to (and watch).

Hard work pays off ( both of the setup and collage), well done indeed Dave and Mrs. Vaughn and congrats to the daughter as well, I for one can attest to the benefits of a wonderful wife and loving mother;)
post #7029 of 12010 Old 07-22-2013, 01:37 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View PostThanks. My wife gets the credit for being a stay at home Mom. It really makes a difference. As for the M&K's...thanks. First time I heard them I fell in love with them. Great for movie soundtracks, which is 98% of what I listen to (and watch).

Nice rack, is it open in the back?

post #7030 of 12010 Old 07-22-2013, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Yes I agree, in addition Emotiva amps smell like burned electronics, never in the past thirty years of buying electronic gear have I had that problem, and I owned many brands such as Parasound, Onkyo, Integra, Yamaha, Pioneer, TEAC, Classe, Denon, Sony ES, Marantz, Nuforce.......

Not ever did any of these Pre/Pro, Amplifiers, Players smelled like Emotiva. The problem I have is that not only they were horrendous but the company denied there was any thing wrong, yet any person, friends, family, clients who walked into the room where the E were information three weeks asked about the smell!!!

So say what you want but E.... is the last company I will ever give my money to, I would rathe work with a dealer who is willing to give me a reasonable discount and buy a product that will provide years of satisfaction! But that's just me!

+1 smile.gif

Preamp: NOS Valves NBS Preamplifier
Selah Tempestas
BMC Pure Dac - Mac Mini
VPI Classic 2
post #7031 of 12010 Old 07-22-2013, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Picked up another pair of speakers these sound awesome

Selah Tempestas
BMC Pure Dac - Mac Mini
VPI Classic 2
post #7032 of 12010 Old 07-22-2013, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1usedcomp View Post

Those are sweet looking , what are they?
post #7033 of 12010 Old 07-22-2013, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

Selah Tempestas

Selah Tempestas
BMC Pure Dac - Mac Mini
VPI Classic 2
post #7034 of 12010 Old 07-22-2013, 02:34 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

post #7035 of 12010 Old 07-22-2013, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Tempesta! What I aspire towards. Rick Craig says they're the best 3-way monitor period. I don't doubt it.
Cheers, Mac
post #7036 of 12010 Old 07-22-2013, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nice rack, is it open in the back?

Unfortunately, no. That's why I have the pull out shelf for the pre/pro. Before I installed that it was a total pain in the rear to review AVR's and pre-pros...now it pulls out and spins so I have access to the back panel. I'll post pictures later this week with my fans installed. They aren't pretty to look at, but the really keep the box cool now smile.gif

David Vaughn

post #7037 of 12010 Old 07-22-2013, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Very nice. How do they sound?

David Vaughn

post #7038 of 12010 Old 07-22-2013, 04:05 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Yes how do they sound!

post #7039 of 12010 Old 07-22-2013, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 657
I fully plan on building a set of monitors around the scanspeak revs. A driver I have yet to own, but have never heard a single bad review about...

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #7040 of 12010 Old 07-22-2013, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member

Out of the 8 pairs of speakers I have owned in the last few years these are the best , my seating is off to the left or right and the arm rest is the sweet spot so if sitting on the left I heard the left speaker and same on the right . This problem is gone now because this 3 way design disappears and the whole seating area is the sweet spot , the sound is so smooth and detailed and well worth the money

Selah Tempestas
BMC Pure Dac - Mac Mini
VPI Classic 2
post #7041 of 12010 Old 07-22-2013, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

I solved my communication error with Audyssey pro with help from the Audyssey Pro avs forum.
System is very very sweet. Koln Concert plays like never before. Classical guitar has nuances I had not heard before. Blue Ray Opera is great.

Of course the Martin Logan Montis, Stage X, and supporting surrounds are the key to the sound.

Truly enjoying the system.
post #7042 of 12010 Old 07-23-2013, 03:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post

Of course the Martin Logan Montis, Stage X, and supporting surrounds are the key to the sound.

+1
speakers being the most important to sound quality is still true wink.gif

you have a very nice speaker system! I'm a big planar fan for decades (Maggies, currently 3.6's for fronts) and if I were to ever swap speaker brands, it would be to e-stats, and ML Montis' would definitely be on my list.

I had lusted for Soundlabs ever since I heard them in '93 but way out of my price range. I think I could "make do" with a pair of Montis' wink.gifcool.gif

can you post a pic? I'm sure many here would enjoy seeing how you've arranged the speakers.

Steve
post #7043 of 12010 Old 07-23-2013, 05:18 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by baranowski View Post

Speaking about amps....

any suggestions on a two channel amp to expand to 7.1 with my current anthem P5? i am having a hard time finding a P2 used....

or what do i need to look for in another amp as far as specs to match up to my current amp?

Thanks,
Bill

I guess my post was lost to the emotion discussion.

thanks
post #7044 of 12010 Old 07-23-2013, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Don't know much about the P5 but the Parasound Halo A21 would be a great amp for L&R. I have a Bryston 4Bsst2 for L&R and a Shearborn PA5-200 for the center and rest and works fine. Some day I will upgrade the Shearborn.

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, DBP 2010, Samsung BD-C7900, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650. Sitting still CCM616, Kef...
post #7045 of 12010 Old 07-23-2013, 06:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

thanks

I don't know if this will interest you but here you go http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/175471.aspx

Selah Tempestas
BMC Pure Dac - Mac Mini
VPI Classic 2
post #7046 of 12010 Old 07-23-2013, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Have any owners of the 8801 previously owned a Denon 5308CI (with the Audyssey XT32 upgrade)? Yeah I know, one's an AVR and one is a Preamp. smile.gif I'm wondering if there would be a significant improvement in audio performance. My amp is an Emotiva XPR-5. What also interests me about the 8801 is that it can output two different HDMI sources simultaneously, which of course my Denon cannot do.
post #7047 of 12010 Old 07-24-2013, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I just received the 8801, I haven't hooked it yet as I'm waiting for a back-ordered PSA XV15 to arrive but I have aquestion about what files the 8801 can play off of a USB stick.

I don't see the owners manual stating this is possible which surprises me, can the 8801 play an MKV file from USB?

My Samsung plasma can but it will not play any surround sound formats from USB so I was hoping that the 8801 could.
post #7048 of 12010 Old 07-24-2013, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 408
Quote:

thanks

What are you going to use the amp for surrounds?
post #7049 of 12010 Old 07-24-2013, 07:23 AM

I did not have the denon piece... but... i did have a pioneer elite 92txh with the older audyssey.... and i could not tell the difference. Don't get me wrong, i have been wanting a dedicated processor with xlr and some kind of room correction for a while. and the marantz is pretty... i was just hoping for a difference in sound or picture.

Bill
post #7050 of 12010 Old 07-24-2013, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

What are you going to use the amp for surrounds?

yes, surrounds...

currently i have an anthem statement p5 that run my

b&w 802n fronts

b&w htm1 center

b&w 804S rears...

i was thinking about going to 7.1... but i need an amp. i will probably find a used set of the floor standers 804S for them.

thank you,
Bill
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Ken Kreisel Dxd 12012 Subwoofer , Marantz Av8801 , Receivers Amplifiers , Audyssey , Integra
Gear in this thread - Av8801 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page