Forum Jump: 

post #7201 of 11976 Old 07-28-2013, 04:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisakuku View Post

Pro is meant to be an incremental improvement over consumer XT32.

Also, it's more like $700 unless you buy a used kit.

how many "wows" in an "incremental improvement?"

have you heard the pro upgrade or no?

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7202 of 11976 Old 07-28-2013, 04:13 PM

I also appreciate you wanting to correct me on price... but that was not
my question and that was my price quote.

Bill
post #7203 of 11976 Old 07-28-2013, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlynch View Post

Update: I have sold my beloved Lexicon MC12BEQ and moved on to greener pastures.......I am now the proud owner of an AV8801 !

Thanks to the members of this forum I decided to give the 8801 another audition, and, compare it to my Lexicon. Boy am I glad that I did!!

Earlier on a previous in-house comparison, I decided that, at least to my ears, the Lexicon sounded better. I now realize that I had not properly applied the Audyssey microphone positions. To make things worse I stacked throw pillows on my couch to set the microphone at ear level; definitely a mistake. Obviously the resulting sound was less than ideal.

After reading this forum and the Audyssey forum I realized my error. I purchased a boom/mic stand along with a mounting adapter from Amazon. I used the suggested microphone positions. After running Audyssey, per the recommendations, the sound in my room is unbelievable! Even my youngest son, who has never showed any interest in my hobby, commented how much better it sounds than my Lexicon.

I am going to be auditioning a Wire World HDMI upgraded HDMI cable, to run to the 8801 from my Oppo BDP-103, to see if I can improve even more on the audio. They claim their cable removes the majority of the "jitter" which is inherent in HDMI digital cables. I will report back on my findings.

Congrats jdlynch!
post #7204 of 11976 Old 07-28-2013, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
I used my pro kit which I purchased for my 80.2.; $150 for the new license . Some hiccups with rs232 to USB connection. . I finally got it to run .

16 point calibration.

Ability to manipulate xovers and turn mid bass correction (off since the Montis have no xover to tweters, and slightly tweak my mains( 1db more treble at 20khz from fixed point at 6 kHz led incremental improvements in stereo. 9.2 movies were more than a bit better . For me the improvements were worthwhile . Of course I already had a kit.
post #7205 of 11976 Old 07-28-2013, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post

I used my pro kit which I purchased for my 80.2.; $150 for the new license . Some hiccups with rs232 to USB connection. . I finally got it to run .

16 point calibration.

Ability to manipulate xovers and turn mid bass correction (off since the Montis have no xover to tweters, and slightly tweak my mains( 1db more treble at 20khz from fixed point at 6 kHz led incremental improvements in stereo. 9.2 movies were more than a bit better . For me the improvements were worthwhile . Of course I already had a kit.

if you did not have the kit and were starting from step one, would you do it again?

thank you for your personal experience,
Bill
post #7206 of 11976 Old 07-28-2013, 04:28 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked: 1402
Quote:
Originally Posted by baranowski View Post

I also appreciate you wanting to correct me on price... but that was not
my question and that was my price quote.

Bill

He quoted you the purchase cost for the kit ($550 + the license fee $150= $700) whereas I'm guessing you were quoted $500 ($350 - labor and $150 for the license fee) to have a Custom installer do the upgrade for you no? Also, although there are a few 8801 owners who have the kit who may chime in, there are also a number of owners of the Denon 4311CI and 4520CI threads that have used the Audyssey Pro kit on their units and have generally noted a roughly 10% increase in audio fidelity. The upgrade from an XT unit to XT32 unit is far more noticeable which is why you only find owners of an XT32 unit purchasing the kit who have the extra $700 to improve a bit more.

Note there is also a dedicated Audyssey Pro Kit thread as well linked below if you are considering purchasing a kit/license ...

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1346723/the-audyssey-pro-installer-kit-thread-faq-in-post-1/0_100

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #7207 of 11976 Old 07-28-2013, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

if you did not have the kit and were starting from step one, would you do it again?

thank you for your personal experience,
Bill

Sure. It makes a noticeable difference . The tweaking is worthwhile. Having the curves helped me tune my room .( I then got a Ominimic which helped more. Since I now use both my 80.2 and the 8801 in two different rooms , clearly worth it for me. The 8801 rs232 connection to USB is troublesome. I have ordered a new cable to see if that helps. However , I did get it to work.
post #7208 of 11976 Old 07-28-2013, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:

how many "wows" in an "incremental improvement?"

have you heard the pro upgrade or no?

Bill

None. Yes, I do have the kit and have used it.
post #7209 of 11976 Old 07-28-2013, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Has anyone purchased an extended warranty for their AV8801? If so which one?

David Lynch Current Equipment: Marantz AV8801, Proceed HPA3, Parasound HCA-1206, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), Aerial Acoustics LR3's (sides), RBH in-walls (rears), Seaton Submersive, Marantz VP15s1, 106" Carada BW screen, Oppo BDP-103.
post #7210 of 11976 Old 07-28-2013, 05:47 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked: 1402
Not really necessary as the model comes with a 3 year mfr warranty and if purchased with a credit card, the card issuer may add an additional 4th year (AMEX will for sure as will some MC/Visa issuers too).

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #7211 of 11976 Old 07-28-2013, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

To be certain, you'll have to use the Right and Left Front channel input connections of the 7.1 analog multichannel inputs.

That will, of course, prevent bass management and other features that are provided by the 8801's processor. You could use Y connections to connect your DAC to both the 7.1 inputs and one of the stereo inputs. That'd let you compare how the different options sound.

It is possible, but not known for certain, that selecting Direct will avoid digitization of the stereo inputs. Nobody has reported seeing the circuit diagrams so we'd know for sure.

How would one find out ? Last couple times I called Marantz I didn't get much help . The only thing I want to use the 8801 for is Volume Control maybe bass management for this Dac without doing double conversion

Preamp: NOS Valves NBS Preamplifier
Selah Tempestas
BMC Pure Dac - Mac Mini
VPI Classic 2
post #7212 of 11976 Old 07-28-2013, 06:46 PM
DHF

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

Big congrats jdlynch smile.gif I know all too well the tumult you went through to come your decision ( my Anthem AVM 20 is boxed and ready to be sold wink.gif) That correct run of Auydssey can indeed seal the deal and give you some whoa eek.gif moments indeed ! post back on those Wire World findings as they are high on my radar for an hdmi for audio as well as AQ carbon to try out!

congrats again and welcome to the club! smile.gif

A group of three of us auditioned the wire world hdmi. 8801 owners. We selected the middle of the line cord, the cheapest one with the DNA helix....I know... Whatever. We also had a lower line wireworld hdmi, a $200 Monster cable, and a $10 hdmi I got from Menards.

None of us were expecting much as all the wire heads focus on USB cables and not much at all on HDMI. After all, how much different can 1s and 0s be, anyway? Well, 1s and 0s can and did sound different. The wire world mid line cable absolutely blew our minds. Wouldn't give you $20 for the differences between the lower line wire world, $10 Menards, and $200 monster. Hard to hear. But the wire world helix cable was a real eye opener. Audio wise. Others claim video differences - I didn't see it. However, I am colorblind.

I realize that I now open myself up to all wires sound the same savagery. But, if you have an open mind, the wire world hdmi helix cables are well worth a listen, and not very expensive.
Scott-C likes this.
post #7213 of 11976 Old 07-28-2013, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHF View Post

A group of three of us auditioned the wire world hdmi. 8801 owners. We selected the middle of the line cord, the cheapest one with the DNA helix....I know... Whatever. We also had a lower line wireworld hdmi, a $200 Monster cable, and a $10 hdmi I got from Menards.

None of us were expecting much as all the wire heads focus on USB cables and not much at all on HDMI. After all, how much different can 1s and 0s be, anyway? Well, 1s and 0s can and did sound different. The wire world mid line cable absolutely blew our minds. Wouldn't give you $20 for the differences between the lower line wire world, $10 Menards, and $200 monster. Hard to hear. But the wire world helix cable was a real eye opener. Audio wise. Others claim video differences - I didn't see it. However, I am colorblind.

I realize that I now open myself up to all wires sound the same savagery. But, if you have an open mind, the wire world hdmi helix cables are well worth a listen, and not very expensive.

I use a Audioquest Coffee HDMI and I am happy with it

Selah Tempestas
BMC Pure Dac - Mac Mini
VPI Classic 2
post #7214 of 11976 Old 07-28-2013, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

I read somewhere not to use shorter than 6' HDMI cables. I forget the reason but wondering if anyone else has heard this?
post #7215 of 11976 Old 07-28-2013, 08:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Update: I have sold my beloved Lexicon MC12BEQ and moved on to greener pastures.......I am now the proud owner of an AV8801 !

Thanks to the members of this forum I decided to give the 8801 another audition, and, compare it to my Lexicon. Boy am I glad that I did!!

Earlier on a previous in-house comparison, I decided that, at least to my ears, the Lexicon sounded better. I now realize that I had not properly applied the Audyssey microphone positions. To make things worse I stacked throw pillows on my couch to set the microphone at ear level; definitely a mistake. Obviously the resulting sound was less than ideal.

After reading this forum and the Audyssey forum I realized my error. I purchased a boom/mic stand along with a mounting adapter from Amazon. I used the suggested microphone positions. After running Audyssey, per the recommendations, the sound in my room is unbelievable! Even my youngest son, who has never showed any interest in my hobby, commented how much better it sounds than my Lexicon.

I am going to be auditioning a Wire World HDMI upgraded HDMI cable, to run to the 8801 from my Oppo BDP-103, to see if I can improve even more on the audio. They claim their cable removes the majority of the "jitter" which is inherent in HDMI digital cables. I will report back on my findings.

I just finished an entire ground up rebuild of my theater...my Lex MC-12B is now on a shelf awaiting eBay...I also removed a Denon 3910, several Rane PE-17s, Behringer DEQ2496 and several other lesser items.

It still 'feels' wrong but sounds right....

Wyatt
post #7216 of 11976 Old 07-28-2013, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:

Thanks Waboman.

I just looked at your photographs in your "HT Hideaway". Nice equipment! Whenever I get a chance I will post photos of my set-up as well. My room is nothing like some of the dedicated HT's of others, but, it is mine and I enjoy it tremendously. Whenever I get an opportunity, either through a different house or a different room, I would like to have a better sized/shaped room for my 7.1 system.

Thanks, jd. Looking forward to checking out your HT. It's funny, I'm also looking at a couple WireWorld HDMI cables.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #7217 of 11976 Old 07-29-2013, 12:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHF View Post

Big thanks ! and just to note that was most likely the most post, 4 to be accurate on cables ( and its was hdmi eek.gif) and was a positive run, I shall indeed give the middle of the line cable a shot as I notice they POCC (single crystal copper) I 'm currently using a Pangea with 4% silver over POCC and sounds smooth and musical when compared to others from Monoprice including the Redmere ( only audio, they kill on video).

Kudos to the 8801 bunch, you guys are a class act and shows why this thread is very special wink.gif
post #7218 of 11976 Old 07-29-2013, 01:36 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1usedcomp View Post

I use a Audioquest Coffee HDMI and I am happy with it

I'm happy with my 3 aq chocolate and 1 aq carbon

Frank

post #7219 of 11976 Old 07-29-2013, 01:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

I'm happy with my 3 aq chocolate and 1 aq carbon

Don't tempt me Franin, I said I would try the Wire World first biggrin.gif
post #7220 of 11976 Old 07-29-2013, 03:02 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

Don't tempt me Franin, I said I would try the Wire World first biggrin.gif

Just planting the seed there for you mate smile.gif

Frank

post #7221 of 11976 Old 07-29-2013, 03:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Three years is a significant warranty, but, I hope to keep my 8801 a lot longer than three years. I guess my main concern is the HDMI board and the amount of heat it generates.

David Lynch Current Equipment: Marantz AV8801, Proceed HPA3, Parasound HCA-1206, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), Aerial Acoustics LR3's (sides), RBH in-walls (rears), Seaton Submersive, Marantz VP15s1, 106" Carada BW screen, Oppo BDP-103.
post #7222 of 11976 Old 07-29-2013, 03:41 AM
CIH USER

Quote:

Three years is a significant warranty, but, I hope to keep my 8801 a lot longer than three years. I guess my main concern is the HDMI board and the amount of heat it generates.

Im hoping longer than 3 years as well.

Frank

post #7223 of 11976 Old 07-29-2013, 03:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As you've probably read the 8801 gets pretty warm, IMO heat kills all electronics. I think it's a good idea to use a fan on the Marantz.
post #7224 of 11976 Old 07-29-2013, 04:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

As you've probably read the 8801 gets pretty warm, IMO heat kills all electronics. I think it's a good idea to use a fan on the Marantz.

Is it only the HDMI board???
post #7225 of 11976 Old 07-29-2013, 04:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmonkey View Post

Is it only the HDMI board???

From what I've read in this thread, even people that are not using HDMI are seeing fairly high temps. Don't misinterpret when I say it runs warm, I'm not saying it overheats. I'm just saying as others have noticed she runs warmer than most, and IMO the 8801 needs a lot of room all around it or a fan at least moving air around it. Take a look at a pic online of the 8801 with it's cover off, with all those parts it's no wonder she runs a little warm smile.gif
Webmonkey likes this.
post #7226 of 11976 Old 07-29-2013, 04:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

I read somewhere not to use shorter than 6' HDMI cables. I forget the reason but wondering if anyone else has heard this?

1.5 meters is optimum. A 0.5m cable the signal has to many reflections, and when you get much past 2m, the signal arrives out of phase.

You can research reflections and digital cable length I'm just answering your question I'm sure this is a bad subject just like any other cable discussion
Scott-C and comfynumb like this.

Selah Tempestas
BMC Pure Dac - Mac Mini
VPI Classic 2
post #7227 of 11976 Old 07-29-2013, 04:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1usedcomp View Post

1.5 meters is optimum. A 0.5m cable the signal has to many reflections, and when you get much past 2m, the signal arrives out of phase.

You can research reflections and digital cable length I'm just answering your question I'm sure this is a bad subject just like any other cable discussion

I appreciate the answer and I've heard the same thing, I just couldn't remember the length, thanks.
post #7228 of 11976 Old 07-29-2013, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:

I put a fan on the back of my cabinet after having a trigger fail.
In three years, there will be XT128 smile.gif

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #7229 of 11976 Old 07-29-2013, 06:41 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

I put a fan on the back of my cabinet after having a trigger fail.
In three years, there will be XT128 :$

- Rich

I have a cool component on top of mine with a thermo controller that does the trick.

Frank

post #7230 of 11976 Old 07-29-2013, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

After rereading Dan Laufmans post I feel compelled to apologize for flaming him. I don't know why but sometimes I have a big mouth biggrin.gif and everyone is entitled to their opinion. I'll try to calm down because it's better not to jump to conclusions smile.gif
WLGeter and audiofan1 like this.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Ken Kreisel Dxd 12012 Subwoofer , Marantz Av8801 , Receivers Amplifiers , Audyssey , Integra
Gear in this thread - Av8801 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page