post #7291 of 12127 Old 07-31-2013, 11:34 PM
CIH USER

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

With all his posting here I'm guessing he bought one. Congrats, Factor.

I agree smile.gif

Frank

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7292 of 12127 Old 07-31-2013, 11:38 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

I doubt that seriously as the bashing is on many other threads , of which I myself take no part in. The real question is why is he monitoring the 8801 thread ?

I agree I don't know why people do it but they do.

Frank

post #7293 of 12127 Old 07-31-2013, 11:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:

I doubt that seriously as the bashing is on many other threads , of which I myself take no part in. The real question is why is he monitoring the 8801 thread ? This is becoming more and more the new thing to do I guess and I find it a bit unsettling when I see a competitor chiming in on others to soil there reps! I remember a day at a brick and mortar store when someone made a comment about another shop down the street and the owner graciously spoke well of them, as of today I know a few online who maintain the same practice! In short its called "Tact" wink.gif
You've made a pretty good point and see we're your coming from . smile.gif

My current HT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7294 of 12127 Old 07-31-2013, 11:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

I agree I don't know why people do it but they do.

I'm at a lost on it as well !
post #7295 of 12127 Old 07-31-2013, 11:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys , it's actually a 8801.5 made in Korea . Is it still ok to post here ? eek.gif
biggrin.gif

My current HT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7296 of 12127 Old 07-31-2013, 11:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFactor View Post

Thanks guys , it's actually a 8801.5 made in Korea . Is it still ok to post here ? eek.gif
biggrin.gif

It's gotta be better than an 80.3 made anywhere. So yeah, you're ok. wink.gif
TheFactor likes this.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #7297 of 12127 Old 07-31-2013, 11:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You've made a pretty good point and see we're your coming from . smile.gif
http://www.avsforum.com/f/90/receivers-amps-and-processors

It's the way it is these days and I felt he didn't say anything that most already knew as gear made else where and not just China either is the 500lb gorilla in the room , that we really can't do anything about, but try the stuff out and hope as always, that it will hold up! Oh and sound good. I for one have accepted it and I even sometimes enjoy the pro's (which is saving money) but I do still sometimes feel a bit guilty as I know I should have paid more and pumped funds back into my community.
TheFactor likes this.
post #7298 of 12127 Old 07-31-2013, 11:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's gotta be better than an 80.3 made anywhere. So yeah, you're ok. wink.gif
Hang on I'm paging the President of Integra he'll be here shortly tongue.gif
Until then bring it wink.gif

My current HT
post #7299 of 12127 Old 07-31-2013, 11:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hang on I'm paging the President of Integra he'll be here shortly tongue.gif
Until then bring it wink.gif

I'm not worried. He's in China having dinner with the Emotiva guy. Lol. biggrin.gif
TheFactor likes this.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #7300 of 12127 Old 07-31-2013, 11:55 PM
AVS Special Member

So your the mole biggrin.gif
TheFactor likes this.
post #7301 of 12127 Old 07-31-2013, 11:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

http://www.avsforum.com/f/90/receivers-amps-and-processors

It's the way it is these days and I felt he didn't say anything that most already knew as gear made else where and not just China either is the 500lb gorilla in the room , that we really can't do anything about, but try the stuff out and hope as always, that it will hold up! Oh and sound good. I for one have accepted it and I even sometimes enjoy the pro's (which is saving money) but I do still sometimes feel a bit guilty as I know I should have paid more and pumped funds back into my community.
I think by just buying from your local dealers regardless were there made makes me feel a little better . But I couldn't agree with you more !

My current HT
post #7302 of 12127 Old 07-31-2013, 11:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm not worried. He's in China having dinner with the Emotiva guy. Lol. biggrin.gif
LOL Now that was good ! biggrin.gif

My current HT
post #7303 of 12127 Old 08-01-2013, 12:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So your the mole biggrin.gif
Your blowing my cover eek.gifbiggrin.gif

My current HT
post #7304 of 12127 Old 08-01-2013, 12:02 AM
CIH USER

Quote:

Lol biggrin.gif

Frank

post #7305 of 12127 Old 08-01-2013, 12:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Btw guys I was viewing a emo thread somewhere else and there was link to that post here and that's how I wandered over here . Didnt realize my buddy's were here eek.gif should of sifted a little deeper before I posted but its late and didnt feel like it tongue.gif I know some of these fan boys can be pretty territorial biggrin.gif So thanks for the hospitality I know you guys will me miss but before I wear out my warm welcome tongue.gif I will unsubscribe and let you Marantz guys get back to your high fives and tongue.gif group hugs biggrin.gif

My current HT
post #7306 of 12127 Old 08-01-2013, 12:24 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post

My wife and I listened to stereo last night via JR river dlna to our oppo and on to the 8801. I used our ipad and jr remote select the tracks we heard. I had just finished an Audyssey Pro calibration.

My wife was very clear that the music was much improved over the previous listening session which was with our 80.2. Same room same speakers etc.

I am wondering if the "al32" that is discussed in this thread could be one of the differences in the sound; not just the DAC.

This "al32" could well be taking up some of the space in the box.

For a description of AL32 processing technology you can read this post along with some of the posts that follow by other members. In a recent post I further elaborated on the three different functions of the AL32 processing technology.

However, since you seem to be using Audyssey, and rightly so I might add, you should read this post and the following post that explain why enabling Audyssey partially works against AL32 processing if present at all on the AV8801; it definitely does so on the Denon AVR-4520CI as I reported on that thread.

AL32, if present on the AV8801, wouldn't take up much real estate. It would be one of the functions handled by the Altera CPLD chip circled in red on the internal photo of the AV8801, see Figure 3 on the first post I referenced above. That's where the AL32 processing takes place inside the Denon AVR-4520CI and since the Denon and Marantz units share the same digital front-end PCBs, it would also be performed by the same chip on the AV8801.

As for the difference in sound between the Integra DHC-80.2 and the AV8801, while I believe they both use the same TI Burr-Brown PCM1795 DACs since the DHC-80.3 and AV8801 do, there are other factors that can contribute to the differences in sound. The different designs of their respective analog output stages will impart distinct sonic characteristics. Marantz makes their output stages with discrete components in a design they market as Hyper Dynamic Amplifier Modules (HDAM) and where they use a current feedback topology instead of a voltage driven one. They claim that such discrete designs yield higher fidelity and more natural sound. Most designers nowadays opt for the use operational amplifier ICs (op-amps) since they take up less space and also reduce cost.
post #7307 of 12127 Old 08-01-2013, 12:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Btw guys I was viewing a emo thread somewhere else and there was link to that post here and that's how I wandered over here . Didnt realize my buddy's were here eek.gif should of sifted a little deeper before I posted but its late and didnt feel like it tongue.gif I know some of these fan boys can be pretty territorial biggrin.gif So thanks for the hospitality I know you guys will me miss but before I wear out my warm welcome tongue.gif I will unsubscribe and let you Marantz guys get back to your high fives and tongue.gif group hugs biggrin.gif

Wasn't sure, as I don't visit their threads/forums, but figured one or several of their followers had to post a link. Group hug time. We're getting Shawarma. The Factor is buying.biggrin.gif
TheFactor likes this.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #7308 of 12127 Old 08-01-2013, 12:39 AM
CIH USER

Quote:

Wasn't sure, as I don't visit their threads/forums, but figured one or several of their followers had to post a link. Group hug time. We're getting Shawarma. The Factor is buying.biggrin.gif

Count me in!! Thanks Factor smile.gif
TheFactor likes this.

Frank

post #7309 of 12127 Old 08-01-2013, 12:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Sure why not, I'm just listening to a little Prokofiev, and if he's buying I'm in as well biggrin.gif
TheFactor likes this.
post #7310 of 12127 Old 08-01-2013, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam88 View Post

For a description of AL32 processing technology you can read this post along with some of the posts that follow by other members. In a recent post I further elaborated on the three different functions of the AL32 processing technology.

However, since you seem to be using Audyssey, and rightly so I might add, you should read this post and the following post that explain why enabling Audyssey partially works against AL32 processing if present at all on the AV8801; it definitely does so on the Denon AVR-4520CI as I reported on that thread.

AL32, if present on the AV8801, wouldn't take up much real estate. It would be one of the functions handled by the Altera CPLD chip circled in red on the internal photo of the AV8801, see Figure 3 on the first post I referenced above. That's where the AL32 processing takes place inside the Denon AVR-4520CI and since the Denon and Marantz units share the same digital front-end PCBs, it would also be performed by the same chip on the AV8801.

As for the difference in sound between the Integra DHC-80.2 and the AV8801, while I believe they both use the same TI Burr-Brown PCM1795 DACs since the DHC-80.3 and AV8801 do, there are other factors that can contribute to the differences in sound. The different designs of their respective analog output stages will impart distinct sonic characteristics. Marantz makes their output stages with discrete components in a design they market as Hyper Dynamic Amplifier Modules (HDAM) and where they use a current feedback topology instead of a voltage driven one. They claim that such discrete designs yield higher fidelity and more natural sound. Most designers nowadays opt for the use operational amplifier ICs (op-amps) since they take up less space and also reduce cost.

So if you are correct, would the bit depth expansion still be in play with Audyssey enabled? Would that have any effect on the sound? Or is it your opinion that different DAC and the HDAM would be the major factors that explain the difference and to me the improved sound?
post #7311 of 12127 Old 08-01-2013, 04:52 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

He shouldn't have to post nor play in any Reindeer games. Although I can't blame him for setting some of those haters straight . I guess one can only sit back so long reading all this nonsense . I currently don't own any Emoitvia products but I have and must say there one of the most bang for the products out there and would buy more in a heartbeat without any caution knowing there products are well made great performers with second to none CS.
I have no issue with Eno gear, I'm just surprised el presidente would jump into a competitors owners thread after a long hiatus from AVS, I can see why he bit, but I'm sure he could have thrilled evo fans by contributing to their owner threads throughout the years
TheFactor likes this.
post #7312 of 12127 Old 08-01-2013, 05:49 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Thanks!!!! i will take the compliment
post #7313 of 12127 Old 08-01-2013, 06:13 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott-C View Post

As beautiful as your room is, the best part of this post is the Flyers pillow. 👍

sorry didn't quote your comment...

thanks again
post #7314 of 12127 Old 08-01-2013, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by discodol View Post

I use the DTA-70.1 to power my front high, front wides, side surrounds, and rear surrounds and they all sound awesome.

I use Parasound for the front left, right, and center channels.

The combination matches seamlessly for 11 channels of sound that I enjoy watching movies, music videos, and cable tv.

The Parasounds cannot be beat for stereo listening.

I had tried two other brands for the surrounds before settling on the Integra which I am totally pleased with.

I don't think you can go wrong with the Integra for all your channels including the fronts and center!!

Thanks for the response to my question. I'm glad to hear that I can keep the Integra amp even if I move to the 8801.

Cal68

Cal68
post #7315 of 12127 Old 08-01-2013, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Good morning guys its Marantz Happy Hour ! So what will it be ? smile.gif

My current HT
post #7316 of 12127 Old 08-01-2013, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post

So if you are correct, would the bit depth expansion still be in play with Audyssey enabled? Would that have any effect on the sound? Or is it your opinion that different DAC and the HDAM would be the major factors that explain the difference and to me the improved sound?

I haven't seen anything yet to indicate that enabling Audyssey will reduce the bit-depth, I doubt it since most Blu-ray titles are mastered at 48 kHz / 24-bit. As I've said before, an increased bit depth will increase the dynamic range along with a lower noise floor so it should have an effect on the sound. As I pointed out in my last post, the DACs as best as I can tell, are the same on the 80.2 and 8801. The whole analog output stage design that comes after the DACs, of which HDAM is a part, will in my opinion be responsible for most of the sound difference. I was told at an audio show by the lead designer of the Simaudion Moon Evolution 750D Reference CD/DAC, which uses the ESS SABRE-32 Reference DAC, that you can choose the best DAC on the market but still mess-up the implementation if you don't design good analog output stages.
post #7317 of 12127 Old 08-01-2013, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam88 View Post

I haven't seen anything yet to indicate that enabling Audyssey will reduce the bit-depth, I doubt it since most Blu-ray titles are mastered at 48 kHz / 24-bit. As I've said before, an increased bit depth will increase the dynamic range along with a lower noise floor so it should have an effect on the sound. As I pointed out in my last post, the DACs as best as I can tell, are the same on the 80.2 and 8801. The whole analog output stage design that comes after the DACs, of which HDAM is a part, will in my opinion be responsible for most of the sound difference. I was told at an audio show by the lead designer of the Simaudion Moon Evolution 750D Reference CD/DAC, which uses the ESS SABRE-32 Reference DAC, that you can choose the best DAC on the market but still mess-up the implementation if you don't design good analog output stages.

That's really interesting jam.
post #7318 of 12127 Old 08-01-2013, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

He shouldn't have to post nor play in any Reindeer games. Although I can't blame him for setting some of those haters straight . I guess one can only sit back so long reading all this nonsense . I currently don't own any Emoitvia products but I have and must say there one of the most bang for the products out there and would buy more in a heartbeat without any caution knowing there products are well made great performers with second to none CS.

I'm having trouble following the hub-bub over his one (I thought it was two but can only find the one) fairly innocuous post describing the direct or indirect sourcing of electronics sold in the US...???

I do own one Emotiva 7-channel amplifier - I've had it for 7 years and it operates daily in my family room system. That said, I think IDs have been challenged in finding the right combination of features and pricepoint that's feasible to produce in a prepro. I trialed the Outlaw 975 for my family room but found it too Spartan in terms of features/functions and opted to get an 8801 for my theater and relocate my 8003 to the family room.

Wyatt
post #7319 of 12127 Old 08-01-2013, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyliec2 View Post

I'm having trouble following the hub-bub over his one (I thought it was two but can only find the one) fairly innocuous post describing the direct or indirect sourcing of electronics sold in the US...???

I do own one Emotiva 7-channel amplifier - I've had it for 7 years and it operates daily in my family room system. That said, I think IDs have been challenged in finding the right combination of features and pricepoint that's feasible to produce in a prepro. I trialed the Outlaw 975 for my family room but found it too Spartan in terms of features/functions and opted to get an 8801 for my theater and relocate my 8003 to the family room.
It's all good now and water under the bridge wink.gif It's back on the Marantz topic smile.gif I think it was mainly about bashing electronics not made in the US . But caught the tail end of it and should looked farther into it before giving my thoughts on a thread that I don't even own that product .

My current HT
post #7320 of 12127 Old 08-01-2013, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I've read or skimmed most of this thread and don't recall seeing anyone mention moving to the 8801 from a Denon AVR4810CI. I am currently using one as a pre/pro in a dedicated and acoustically treated HT. Other equipment in the signal chain includes:

VMPS RM30 speakers (L/C/R)
VMPS Larger sub
Oppo BDP83
Bryston 4B SST 2-channel amp (powering the left and right RM30s)
Bryston 9B SST 5-channel amp (center, side surrounds, and rear surrounds)
Parasound HCA-1500A amp (bridged) to power the sub

I'd really enjoy hearing opinions on what the change (in terms of sound quality) might be like if I move to the 8801. If it helps, my room usage is about 75% movies/25% music.

I'm currently running a 9.1 speaker configuration (using the 4810's amps to power a set of Wides).

TIA! I've enjoyed perusing this thread and have found the posts to be very informative.

Regards,

Scott

Thanks,

Scott
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Ken Kreisel Dxd 12012 Subwoofer , Marantz Av8801 , Receivers Amplifiers , Audyssey , Integra
Gear in this thread - Av8801 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page