post #7651 of 11953 Old 08-14-2013, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by #zero View Post

From my understanding it appears as if Onkyo has had quite a few problems with their HDMI boards failing because of inferior capacitors. Maybe the Integra line uses better quality components inside but they appear to have the same pc boards. I was considering the Integra 80.3 but just didn't like the front faceplate appearance with all the exposed buttons. I also consider the Yamaha CX-A5000 pre-amp but soon found out it does not have any XLR connections for the subwoofers and it use an YPAO correction system instead of the more preferred Audyssey XT32. Also the plastic front face plate and internal layout of the CX-A5000 doesn't seem to be as attractive or well thought out as the Marantz AV8801 unit.

You would think Onkyo after making gear for decades that they would know how to make their stuff last awhile. Hopefully they took care of their customers. I'm sure the new Yamaha is a good piece but at $1,100.00 cheaper it makes you wonder where they made that up. By comparison the 8801 has a copper plated chassis and it's packed with all the goodies inside. I am impressed with the build quality and the way it looks, operates and sounds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7652 of 11953 Old 08-14-2013, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I''ve had my 8801 just under 2 weeks and last night noticed that I was no longer getting any audio out of the center speaker. I went into the manual speaker set-up to verify that the front, center and rear surrounds were all set to small (have 1 sub) and then tried to listen to the test tones on the Level settings and no white noise plays when I select the center speaker.

I swapped the cable from the 8801 to the center chanel input of my amp (no change) and later swapped the speaker cable from my amp's center channel to a different speaker to make sure my amp's center channel was fine and it was.

I guess I'll try a reset tonight but since there was no test tone out of the center speaker I'm pretty sure a reset won'y cure anything but I'll try that before calling Marantz.

The wife was watching a blu-ray during the day and said one of our dogs jumped up and laid across the remote on the couch and the center channel went out then but for the life of me I can't think of what that did to cause this although the timing of that event and her noticing the effect cannot be dismissed hence the reset tonight.

post #7653 of 11953 Old 08-14-2013, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew101 View Post

I''ve had my 8801 just under 2 weeks and last night noticed that I was no longer getting any audio out of the center speaker. I went into the manual speaker set-up to verify that the front, center and rear surrounds were all set to small (have 1 sub) and then tried to listen to the test tones on the Level settings and no white noise plays when I select the center speaker.

I swapped the cable from the 8801 to the center chanel input of my amp (no change) and later swapped the speaker cable from my amp's center channel to a different speaker to make sure my amp's center channel was fine and it was.

I guess I'll try a reset tonight but since there was no test tone out of the center speaker I'm pretty sure a reset won'y cure anything but I'll try that before calling Marantz.

The wife was watching a blu-ray during the day and said one of our dogs jumped up and laid across the remote on the couch and the center channel went out then but for the life of me I can't think of what that did to cause this although the timing of that event and her noticing the effect cannot be dismissed hence the reset tonight.

First thing that comes to mind is that maybe a button was hit and it went into stereo?

-Kevin

Epson 5020UB 1080p 3LCD projector

Screen Innovations Black Diamond Zero Edge 1.4 110" 16:9

Marantz AV8801 pre/pro

Wyred4Sound 5-channel amp

Oppo BDP-105

Darbee Darblet

JTR 3TX LCRs

JTR Single8 HT-LP surrounds

twin JTR Orbit Shifter LF subwoofers

GIK Acoustic room treatments

post #7654 of 11953 Old 08-14-2013, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

Yes! standard wink.gif
Cool thanks !
post #7655 of 11953 Old 08-14-2013, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by #zero View Post

I also consider the Yamaha CX-A5000 pre-amp but soon found out it does not have any XLR connections for the subwoofers and it use an YPAO correction system instead of the more preferred Audyssey XT32. Also the plastic front face plate and internal layout of the CX-A5000 doesn't seem to be as attractive or well thought out as the Marantz AV8801 unit.

I had a Yamaha AVR a long time ago (as a pre/pro), and I really liked it, so I still have a soft spot for them. I also just recently looked at the CX-A5000. But for the life of me, I simply cannot understand the rational behind YPAO *not* EQ'ing low freqs. Personally, I view that as a requirement. Sure, you can get a 3rd party solution, but that's more money, and it still might not do as good a job as Audyssey.

If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

KevinVision 7.1 ... Something old and something new :-)

post #7656 of 11953 Old 08-14-2013, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I would only want low frequencies EQ'd anyway (which my sub can do) and again no XLR for the subs on the CX-A5000??? I am waiting for some reviews and comparisons to the 8801 but tough road already.

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, DBP 2010, Samsung BD-C7900, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650. Sitting still CCM616, Kef...
post #7657 of 11953 Old 08-14-2013, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

That's one option I wish Audyssey had: the ability to limit the freq adjustment to say less than 500 Hz or something. Not because I don't see the value of also modifying higher freqs, but because I think it would be interesting to compare full range Audyssey vs less than 500 Hz to hear exactly what it's doing higher up. smile.gif

If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

KevinVision 7.1 ... Something old and something new :-)

post #7658 of 11953 Old 08-14-2013, 04:38 PM

Liked: 26
I reset my 8801 and ran Audyssey set-up and no change, I did not hear any pings of the center channels. I tested the center channel connection between the 8801 and the amp as well as the amp's center channel output tested in a different channel speaker. I called Marantz and they think they will swap it out as I'm under 30 days - great service!
post #7659 of 11953 Old 08-14-2013, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew101 View Post

I reset my 8801 and ran Audyssey set-up and no change, I did not hear any pings of the center channels. I tested the center channel connection between the 8801 and the amp as well as the amp's center channel output tested in a different channel speaker. I called Marantz and they think they will swap it out as I'm under 30 days - great service!
That's nice of Marantz ! Maybe the dealer could just swap it for you and save you the leg work since its under 30 days . Was it ever working or was the center channel out from the get go ? Maybe the circuit board over heated .
post #7660 of 11953 Old 08-14-2013, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFactor View Post

Can you run standard XLR balanced cables to the sub from the pre/pro or do they Have to be a special XLR sub cable like you do for RCA's ?

It's time to move up from the AA squad to the big leagues. You need an 8801. C'mon, Factor!biggrin.gif

Growing Older But Not Up
post #7661 of 11953 Old 08-14-2013, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

It's time to move up from the AA squad to the big leagues. You need an 8801. C'mon, Factor!biggrin.gif
LoL Wabo I wish I could join the Marantz club and become one of the Elite like you guys ! smile.gif
But unfortunately I have beer breath and champaign taste biggrin.gif
post #7662 of 11953 Old 08-14-2013, 07:31 PM

Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by TL5 View Post

I think i figured out why my "Dialog Enhancer" setting would not hold. It appears (on my 8801 anyway...) that it depends on what content is playing when you try to use it. For example - I tried again & again to make it work while watching a TV show with Dolby Digital 5.1 - no dice. Tried it with a blu-ray with a 5.1 DTS track - no dice. Then I switched to a non-HD channel on TV, presumably with just a Stereo sound track. It works! I also tried it while watching Netflix though my Oppo 103 - on a movie with just a stereo soundtrack it also worked. I also tried it out while streaming from Airplay - also works! I would be interested if others could repeat my results.

TL5, I've had the same problem getting the Dialog Enhancer to "stick", so read your report with great interest!
But what you DON'T report is after getting it to work on TV SD video sources, and with just stereo audio CBL/SAT sources - what happens when you switch channels back to an HD program w/Dolby Digital 5.1??? Does it then switch back "Off"?
And if so, then going back to the stereo and SD channels is it back on "Low" (or whatever setting you used) again??? confused.gif

The Insane Pink Care Bear's Home Theater Set Up:

Marantz AV 8801 Processor, Emotiva XPR-5 Amplifier, Panasonic 65" ST30 Plasma, Yamaha BD-S2900 Blu-ray, Yamaha CDC-697 CD Player, Yamaha TT-500U Turntable, w/Signet TK5e, JBL ES100 Fronts, JBL LC2 Center, JBL ES30 Surrounds & 2 JBL ES250P Subwoofers
post #7663 of 11953 Old 08-14-2013, 07:39 PM

Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

Maybe the guys coming from AVR's to the 8801 would comment on the differences that they've heard.

I started/wrote a review thread of coming from my Yamaha RX-V1900 AVR to the Marantz AV8801 plus Emotiva XPR-5 combo over in the Emotiva forum if anyone is interested?:
http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/thread/29036/marriage-emotiva-xpr-marantz-av8801
I titled the thread "Emotiva XPR-5 & Marantz AV8801 Marriage Review".

Bottom line is the pairing is wonderful, and other than a couple hiccups with Audyssey, and the speaker levels it set (maybe more an 'Audyssey thing', than a Marantz thing?), it improved my sound greatly.
Steady Teddy might be especially interested, as this is also his exact pairing! rolleyes.gif
DHF likes this.

The Insane Pink Care Bear's Home Theater Set Up:

Marantz AV 8801 Processor, Emotiva XPR-5 Amplifier, Panasonic 65" ST30 Plasma, Yamaha BD-S2900 Blu-ray, Yamaha CDC-697 CD Player, Yamaha TT-500U Turntable, w/Signet TK5e, JBL ES100 Fronts, JBL LC2 Center, JBL ES30 Surrounds & 2 JBL ES250P Subwoofers
post #7664 of 11953 Old 08-15-2013, 05:19 AM

Liked: 16
Still entertaining thoughts of purchasing this processor. Currently have a AV7005 mated with a Parasound A52 in my system. I'm pretty satisfied, with the exception that I do find the highs kind of fatiguing, especially at higher SPLS.. But after reading this very recent review on Amazon, I'm not so convinced the 8801 would be a good remedy for my situation.

I've spent the last few months trying to upgrade my home theater system. I have finally gotten every other component of my theater right, except the preamp. Before this, I was using my Onkyo 818's pre outs, which was fine, but I wanted an even cleaner sound. So I started with an NAD preamp... great sound, but I realized I needed/wanted more features and a better user interface. I wanted something high quality so I bought the Marantz 8801. I Have always heard that the Marantz sound was amazing, so I was excited to set it up. After running audyssey I realized that the sound was very bright and almost shrill. I checked my connections and ran Audyssey 4 more times(seriously). Nothing helped. I didn't actually enjoy turning the volume up very loud. I even thought that the Marantz was broken, so I got a replacement from Amazon (love Amazon!). Anyway, same issue with the next 8801, so I realize now that I just don't like this preamp. I'm guessing that I just don't have an ear for high end pre/pros, and I sent this back and just got the Onkyo 5509 because I already know I like their sound.
Pros:
This thing looks and feels like it costs more than it does, simply stunning (except for the plastic on the front).
The sound is very crisp and clear, just not for me.
Easy to set up, great user interface.
Plenty of features.
Cons:
Its sound is not for everyone
The remote is the worst remote I've ever used, it looks pretty good, but it is extremely finicky and hard to program. Buy a Universal remote.
post #7665 of 11953 Old 08-15-2013, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhooper1963 View Post

Still entertaining thoughts of purchasing this processor. Currently have a AV7005 mated with a Parasound A52 in my system. I'm pretty satisfied, with the exception that I do find the highs kind of fatiguing, especially at higher SPLS.. But after reading this very recent review on Amazon, I'm not so convinced the 8801 would be a good remedy for my situation.

I've spent the last few months trying to upgrade my home theater system. I have finally gotten every other component of my theater right, except the preamp. Before this, I was using my Onkyo 818's pre outs, which was fine, but I wanted an even cleaner sound. So I started with an NAD preamp... great sound, but I realized I needed/wanted more features and a better user interface. I wanted something high quality so I bought the Marantz 8801. I Have always heard that the Marantz sound was amazing, so I was excited to set it up. After running audyssey I realized that the sound was very bright and almost shrill. I checked my connections and ran Audyssey 4 more times(seriously). Nothing helped. I didn't actually enjoy turning the volume up very loud. I even thought that the Marantz was broken, so I got a replacement from Amazon (love Amazon!). Anyway, same issue with the next 8801, so I realize now that I just don't like this preamp. I'm guessing that I just don't have an ear for high end pre/pros, and I sent this back and just got the Onkyo 5509 because I already know I like their sound.
Pros:
This thing looks and feels like it costs more than it does, simply stunning (except for the plastic on the front).
Plenty of features.
Cons:
The remote is the worst remote I've ever used, it looks pretty good, but it is extremely finicky and hard to program. Buy a Universal remote.

I would think the fatiguing highs are more speaker related than pre/pro related, at least I don't find the 8801 fatiguing, and certainly not shrill. Different listening modes have different characteristics. Also since we don't know this reviewers setup or preference in listening modes it's hard to comment on his review. I've been following this thread since December and this is the first time the Onkyo guys didn't think the 8801 was an upgrade. I'd take that review with a grain of salt and listen to what the guys here are saying over some one who may or may not know what he's doing.
post #7666 of 11953 Old 08-15-2013, 06:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Hi,
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

You talking about the company that limited the 5510 to the European market.
It took them more than a year, to decide to sell some by making them available here.

Personally, I was off-put smile.gif

- Rich

I'm glad they kept it there as long as they did I had a chance to get the 5509 when first released (finally released ) here but glad I didn't, as I would have to sell it and get an 8801 biggrin.gif

Just FWIW the Onkyo PR SC5510 never existed even in Europe. So the last processor-only product Onkyo made so far is the PR SC5509 that was limited to a 9.2 channels drive.

This is in fact the main reason how I was converted to the superb 8801. smile.gif

Hugo
post #7667 of 11953 Old 08-15-2013, 08:01 AM

Liked: 21
Quote:

Pros:
Plenty of features.
Cons:

What speakers are you using?

Also, how can you be satisfied with AV7705 and not with AV8801? What has changed in your setup?

- Alex
post #7668 of 11953 Old 08-15-2013, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

Pros:
Plenty of features.
Cons:
It is possible that the harshness is Audyssey related. I have the 80.3 and do not not like what Audyssey does for music. Getting three new mics and trying different iterations helped but I eventually gave up for now.

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, DBP 2010, Samsung BD-C7900, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650. Sitting still CCM616, Kef...
post #7669 of 11953 Old 08-15-2013, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo S View Post

Hi,
Just FWIW the Onkyo PR SC5510 never existed even in Europe. So the last processor-only product Onkyo made so far is the PR SC5509 that was limited to a 9.2 channels drive.

This is in fact the main reason how I was converted to the superb 8801. smile.gif

Hugo

Your right, it was the 5509 that was not offered in the US for over a year.
I think they were trying to protect the Integra dealers but the 5509 is much better looking IMO.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #7670 of 11953 Old 08-15-2013, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post

It is possible that the harshness is Audyssey related. I have the 80.3 and do not not like what Audyssey does for music. Getting three new mics and trying different iterations helped but I eventually gave up for now.

Do you think it's room acoustics or you just don't care for Audyssey?
post #7671 of 11953 Old 08-15-2013, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlxG View Post

What speakers are you using?

Also, how can you be satisfied with AV7705 and not with AV8801? What has changed in your setup?

Plus I think anyone can write a review on Amazon you don't even have to buy the item from them as far as I know. But there is bound to be differences of opinion about the 8801. But not too those of us that no better.biggrin.gif
post #7672 of 11953 Old 08-15-2013, 09:29 AM

Liked: 16
On a more positive note, a salesmen at Audio Advisor told me that I would have to spend at least $2,000, on a new dedicated two channel integrated, that would outperform the 8801 in stereo mode.
post #7673 of 11953 Old 08-15-2013, 09:44 AM
TL5
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Norseman View Post

TL5, I've had the same problem getting the Dialog Enhancer to "stick", so read your report with great interest!
But what you DON'T report is after getting it to work on TV SD video sources, and with just stereo audio CBL/SAT sources - what happens when you switch channels back to an HD program w/Dolby Digital 5.1??? Does it then switch back "Off"?
And if so, then going back to the stereo and SD channels is it back on "Low" (or whatever setting you used) again??? confused.gif

To tell you the truth, I was just curious about why my Dialog Enhancer setting wouldn't "stick" - so I started playing around. Now that I see the function "works" my curiosity has been satisfied. I actually have little use for this feature, as dialog through my PSB's is spot on. if I get a chance I'll play around with it a little more tonight....as should you!
post #7674 of 11953 Old 08-15-2013, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

On a more positive note, a salesmen at Audio Advisor told me that I would have to spend at least $2,000, on a new dedicated two channel integrated, that would outperform the 8801 in stereo mode.

He should have said maybe it would biggrin.gif
post #7675 of 11953 Old 08-15-2013, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post

I agree don't use Audyssesy for music on my DHC 80.3 I use direct for 2 ch . I think the Integra is outstanding for HT but music isn't as good . I don't think it sounds harsh but just not as good for music when doing critical listening . That's the main reason I now have a Little NAD 326bee for seperate 2 ch setup powering my Dynaudios . Eventually I might implement my Halo A21 and just use the NAD as a pre/amp once I get some longer interconnects . Anyway I don't know if its Audysessy or the Integra but I think it does a much better job for movies .
post #7676 of 11953 Old 08-15-2013, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:

Pros:
Plenty of features.
Cons:

Should Have chimed in sooner ! there's more than a couple of ways to get audyssey to sound good and I've come to respect what it does and the real proof you've done it right is it will sound good with music as well now what i mean by this is a simple tip to get Audyssey right that many seem to take lightly and if you've ever sat and played with distance or delay settings on your pre/pro prior to Audyssey and DRC of any kind, you may know what I mean ( this includes moving speakers back ,fourth tilted up or down. So what's the tip? Simple when positioning the mic (on a boom mic stand) they tell over in the Audyssey thread and on there web site, to place the mic at least 12" from the back of the chair and if your seat back is high raise it higher, this for me gave me consistent shrill sound why? the mic was above the tweeter and if you were an Audyssey mic what would you do ? boost the upper mids and treble, as for the mic being to far placed from were your ears might actually be (12-18" away from where they are) causes your ears not to be where the mic was for its calculations and if you lean forward to where it was when you took the measurements I'll bet a $ 100 it sounded better and tons smoother wink.gif That initial sweep and mic placement are the foundation of a good audyssey run , place it dead center and right at ear level and no further out than the tip of your nose( possibly 8-10") away from your ears and keep the mic up at the ceiling, take all 8 position ( No Pro Kit yet) with the last two Above the backrest in the rear 2ft ( perfect triangle) apart at the MLP, the rest you can follow the Audyssey guidelines and the 101 thread.. What you will find is better center articulation and this will place you in the bubble with proper imaging from your main speakers and not so boxed in due to the 12-18" away in which your head never was and what i mean by that is if you setup your system the old way with a tape measurer for distance you wouldn't put in a didance a foot shorter than it actually was, unless of course you liked it that way. Now don't be afraid to experiment with moving the mic back or forth but do keep it dead center in the MLP. The point of all this is to get Audyssey to hear the way you're going to hear its final calculations and when the 8801 finishes the routine, the result can be very profound for 2/ch , multi channel or whatever you listen to and be smooth and musical, especially with multi/ch sacd, this can also deliver a dropped in the middle image for 2/ch stereo.

Get it right and reap the benefits compare on to off , and let your ears be the judge of course and new users the 8801 does need time to settle in( at least 2 months and viola! no more shrillness)) so wait at least a week or two before running Audyssey to gauge the sound without it wink.gif

Hope this helps ! smile.gif
trekker and TheFactor like this.
post #7677 of 11953 Old 08-15-2013, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Should Have chimed in sooner ! there's more than a couple of ways to get audyssey to sound good and I've come to respect what it does and the real proof you've done it right is it will sound good with music as well now what i mean by this is a simple tip to get Audyssey right that many seem to take lightly and if you've ever sat and played with distance or delay settings on your pre/pro prior to Audyssey and DRC of any kind, you may know what I mean ( this includes moving speakers back ,fourth tilted up or down. So what's the tip? Simple when positioning the mic (on a boom mic stand) they tell over in the Audyssey thread and on there sight to place the mic at least 12" from the back of the chair and if your seat back is high raise it higher, this for me gave me consistent shrill sound why? the mic was above the tweeter and if you were an Audyssey mic what would you do ? boost the upper mids and treble, as for the mic being to far placed from were your ears might actually be (12-18" away from where they are) causes your ears not to be where the mic was for its calculations and if you lean forward to where it was when you took the measurements I'll bet a $ 100 it sounded better and tons smoother wink.gif That initial sweep and mic placement are the foundation of a good audyssey run , place it dead center and right at ear level and no further out than the tip of your nose( possibly 8-10") away from your ears and keep the mic up at the ceiling, take all 8 position ( No Pro Kit yet) with the last two Above the backrest in the rear 2ft ( perfect triangle) apart at the MLP, the rest you can follow the Audyssey guidelines and the 101 thread.. What you will find is better center articulation and this will place you in the bubble with proper imaging from your main speakers and not so boxed in due to the 12-18" away in which your head never was and what i mean by that is if you setup your system the old way with a tape measurer for distance you wouldn't put in a didance a foot shorter than it actually was, unless of course you liked it that way. Now don't be afraid to experiment with moving the mic back or forth but do keep it dead center in the MLP the point of all this is to get Audyssey to hear the way you're going to hear its final calculations and when the 8801 finishes the result can be very profound for 2/ch , multi channel or whatever you listen to and be smooth and musical, especially with multi/ch sacd and can deliver an dropped in the middle image for 2/ch stereo.

Get it right and reap the benefits compare on to off , and let your ears be the judge of course and new users the 8801 does need time to settle in( at least 2 months and viola! no more shrillness)) so wait at least a week or two before running Audyssey to gauge the sound without it wink.gif

Hope this helps ! smile.gif

Nice post my friend. Do you work for Audyssey? biggrin.gif Another thing to try is a tighter mic pattern centered around the MLP. Sometimes this will help in very reflective room, so it's worth a try.
post #7678 of 11953 Old 08-15-2013, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

Nice post my friend. Do you work for Audyssey? biggrin.gifAnother thing to try is a tighter mic pattern centered around the MLP. Sometimes this will help in very reflective room, so it's worth a try.

No Sir! but I did sleep in a holiday inn express biggrin.gif the bottom line for me in audio is do no harm to my analog sound mad.gif and you better be linear and must love music smile.gif after getting my room to sound good for bothe 2/ch and multi/ch with treatments and placement, I felt no need for DRC and would argue till blue in the face rolleyes.gif but i hate the taste of crow and ate a nice helping once again after listening to my newly configured setup with Audyssey and the 8801 over hdmi ( another plate of crow as I swore never for music) I listen to a lot of well recorded and sometimes not so well recorded classical and jazz and after a few A/b rounds to see if Audyssey harmed the sound of a brass section or made strings overly strident or bright or anything just down right grating and fatiguing off if would go! but this is not the case when careful attention is paid to the details! and the results on the likes of channel classics Mahler's 2nd ( or 1st) sacd is terrifying and beautiful and will you in complete shock at what is capable of reproduced music eek.gif beyond anything words can describe wink.gif

And a big fat yes on keeping it tight the 2 ft. or less is rule is good indeed around the MLP smile.gif
post #7679 of 11953 Old 08-15-2013, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFactor View Post

LoL Wabo I wish I could join the Marantz club and become one of the Elite like you guys ! smile.gif
But unfortunately I have beer breath and champaign taste biggrin.gif

Looking at your gear you should have no problem getting a 8801 lol

Preamp: NOS Valves NBS Preamplifier
Selah Tempestas
BMC Pure Dac - Mac Mini
VPI Classic 2
post #7680 of 11953 Old 08-15-2013, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No Sir! but I did sleep in a holiday inn express biggrin.gif the bottom line for me in audio is do no harm to my analog sound mad.gif and you better be linear and must love music smile.gif after getting my room to sound good for bothe 2/ch and multi/ch with treatments and placement, I felt no need for DRC and would argue till blue in the face rolleyes.gif but i hate the taste of crow and ate a nice helping once again after listening to my newly configured setup with Audyssey and the 8801 over hdmi ( another plate of crow as I swore never for music) I listen to a lot of well recorded and sometimes not so well recorded classical and jazz and after a few A/b rounds to see if Audyssey harmed the sound of a brass section or made strings overly strident or bright or anything just down right grating and fatiguing off if would go! but this is not the case when careful attention is paid to the details! and the results on the likes of channel classics Mahler's 2nd ( or 1st) sacd is terrifying and beautiful and will you in complete shock at what is capable of reproduced music eek.gif beyond anything words can describe wink.gif

And a big fat yes on keeping it tight the 2 ft. or less is rule is good indeed around the MLP smile.gif

I hear rumors that the analog in/out will be lost soon on a lot of gear. I haven't used anything but optical or HDMI for years but I know many guys like them.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Ken Kreisel Dxd 12012 Subwoofer , Marantz Av8801 , Receivers Amplifiers , Audyssey , Integra
Gear in this thread - Av8801 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page