post #751 of 12079 Old 12-07-2012, 11:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

I had a 80.3 here and currently have an Onkyo 5010. I would love to do comparisons but honestly it opens up waaaaay to much controversy here. No matter what I do there is a few here that question my methods. Testing and comparing in the same room with the same equipment should yield good end results but no matter what it never seems good enough for them. What sucks is spending the time to test various movies and some music (and it is very time consuming) only to be ripped apart here. biggrin.gif
Maybe I will do it and just post results on my site and not here. Hmmmm smile.gif

I understand where you're coming from.

I'd suggest that you post it on your website.

Just let us know when it's up.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 12079 Old 12-07-2012, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter
exm
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:

I had a 80.3 here and currently have an Onkyo 5010. I would love to do comparisons but honestly it opens up waaaaay to much controversy here. No matter what I do there is a few here that question my methods. Testing and comparing in the same room with the same equipment should yield good end results but no matter what it never seems good enough for them. What sucks is spending the time to test various movies and some music (and it is very time consuming) only to be ripped apart here. biggrin.gif
Maybe I will do it and just post results on my site and not here. Hmmmm smile.gif

I understand and I agree. There are always people that want exact comparisons and don't accept anything less. I am curious about your 'general' opinion. Doesn't have to perfect.
post #753 of 12079 Old 12-07-2012, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 421
Quote:

Not again!biggrin.gif (lol) post up Joerod as info is info and some may or may not find it useful but you should feel free to post your findings , I will as well, I'm no reviewer but many who care about some of the SQ merits, Audiophile build quality and its ability to function as a Highend ( term used loosely) piece of gear are on the table for me and others. Agree or not its just a post of an opinion;)
post #754 of 12079 Old 12-07-2012, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

post up Joerod as info is info and some may or may not find it useful but you should feel free to post your findings

Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post

I understand and I agree. There are always people that want exact comparisons and don't accept anything less. I am curious about your 'general' opinion. Doesn't have to perfect.
exactly, does'nt have to be perfect, it's all constructive information that we all can use.
post #755 of 12079 Old 12-07-2012, 01:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

I appreciate your efforts Joe, post your inut here please (movies and music). What player(s) are you using?

I have an Oppo 103, Sony 790 and Panny 500. smile.gif

For my latest Reviews and stuff Search -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Follow me: @joerodhometheat
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #756 of 12079 Old 12-07-2012, 01:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Thanks guys for the encouragement. Maybe I will put together something then just post it on my site. I can always answer questions from there and of course Private Messages from here. smile.gif

For my latest Reviews and stuff Search -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Follow me: @joerodhometheat
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #757 of 12079 Old 12-07-2012, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter
exm
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:

Thanks guys for the encouragement. Maybe I will put together something then just post it on my site. I can always answer questions from there and of course Private Messages from here. smile.gif

Please post it here.... Just press the imaginary 'ignore' button once in a while smile.gif
post #758 of 12079 Old 12-07-2012, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by erwinfrombelgium View Post

I have been eyeballing the XMC-1 also and I can confirm that at any point in time, Emotiva did never claim it would be fully balanced. If it's the 5-page pdf "spec overview" from september 2012 you are reffering to, I have it (ofcourse) and it never mentions "fully balanced".... only "balanced analog in".
Even the daddy processor, rumoured (but not confirmed) within a year, would be based on the XMC-1 platform (but with full blown 12-channel TacT), hence also not fully balanced probably.

Yes Erwin, I know you've been most interested on the XMC-1; I read many of your posts on the Emotiva forums. smile.gif
Indeed as I also mentioned, the PDF doesn't indicate "fully balanced" in any form. I thought I had read that it would be fully balanced. When looking at so many products, over time, one's memory sometimes plays tricks. Thank you for setting the record straight about the XMC-1 not being fully balanced either. I think you've just made some folks here, that are contemplating buying the 8801, a little more comfortable.
post #759 of 12079 Old 12-07-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:

Joe, no review is perfect and always subject to some degree of controversy. However, most reviews contain at least some tidbits of information that are of value to some readers. If you don't post it here, please let us know when it goes up on your website. Thanks for your hard work, it's very much appreciated. smile.gif
post #760 of 12079 Old 12-07-2012, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 38
At the risk of going OT, I recall the emotiva XPA1 makes specific claims about being fully balanced whereas the XPA2/3/5s don't even though they also offer balanced inputs.

Here it is:
http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/amplifiers/products/xpa1
Quote:
FEATURES

Fully balanced, Differential Reference™ design.

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/amplifiers/products/xpa2
Quote:
FEATURES

Modular channel design for greater channel separation.

The XDA-2 and XSP-1 also mention the Differential Reference term in the specs but not in the XMC-1
post #761 of 12079 Old 12-07-2012, 10:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 51
Wow, no love for the MM8077 or other Marantz amps in here. smile.gif
post #762 of 12079 Old 12-07-2012, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof View Post

At the risk of going OT, I recall the emotiva XPA1 makes specific claims about being fully balanced whereas the XPA2/3/5s don't even though they also offer balanced inputs.
Here it is:
http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/amplifiers/products/xpa1
http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/amplifiers/products/xpa2
The XDA-2 and XSP-1 also mention the Differential Reference term in the specs but not in the XMC-1

Taking into consideration the report from Erwin, whom has been following the XMC-1 development extremely closely, and bearing in mind the fact that no form of published documentation from Emotiva characterizes the design as "fully differential", it can be concluded that like the AV8801, the XMC-1 does not employ a fully differential signal path design.
post #763 of 12079 Old 12-07-2012, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank_PD View Post

Wow, no love for the MM8077 or other Marantz amps in here. smile.gif

Marantz does make great amps, like their reference series, but for a relatively high price premium. There are many competitors that offer very good alternatives for much less money. WRT the MM8077, a lot of folks seem turned off because it's not specked for 4 ohm loads.
post #764 of 12079 Old 12-08-2012, 12:05 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam88 View Post

Marantz does make great amps, like their reference series, but for a relatively high price premium. There are many competitors that offer very good alternatives for much less money. WRT the MM8077, a lot of folks seem turned off because it's not specked for 4 ohm loads.

Yeah, I wish it was rated for 4 ohm as well, even though my speakers are 8 ohm. Though one of the alternatives being discussed a lot is the Parasound A51, which is 2x as much. I don't see why the MM8077 wouldn't handle a 4 ohm load. When I asked Marantz about this for the MM7055 I was told it would handle a 4-ohm load without any issues, but that they choose to go through extra certification to provide a spec for it. I do wonder if there would be any cooling issues.

Marantz seems to be very conservative with power ratings on all of their amps. Sadly I think the MM8077 is as close to reference series multi-channel amp as they will make. I would get a PM11S3, but I'm left wondering what to do with a center channel. I will wait until next year and see if they release a new reference monoblock --though they are likely to be crazy expensive.
post #765 of 12079 Old 12-08-2012, 04:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Don't overlook Emotiva and Outlaw for amps. Emotiva is really the price/performance leader.
post #766 of 12079 Old 12-08-2012, 04:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

post up Joerod as info is info and some may or may not find it useful but you should feel free to post your findings

Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post

exactly, does'nt have to be perfect, it's all constructive information that we all can use.

anecdotal uncontrolled commentary is hardly "useful", unless one wants to reinforce "beliefs"... wink.gif

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #767 of 12079 Old 12-08-2012, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

anecdotal uncontrolled commentary is hardly "useful", unless one wants to reinforce "beliefs"... wink.gif

you couldn't resist wink.gifbiggrin.gif

Steve
post #768 of 12079 Old 12-08-2012, 05:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

no, but i'm trying REALLY hard to be nice... wink.gifbiggrin.gif

as noted earlier in this thread... if "good evidence" is shown that the 8801 is somehow "better" than the 4520, there will be a 4520 for sale... wink.gif

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #769 of 12079 Old 12-08-2012, 10:21 AM

Liked: 12
I currently have a Denon 4310ci and wondering if it is worth the upgrade for me to purchase the AV8801. I am using my current Denon as a pre/pro and my speakers are being powered by two Emotiva amps, XPA-2 and XPA-5. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
post #770 of 12079 Old 12-08-2012, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by chingon510 View Post

I currently have a Denon 4310ci and wondering if it is worth the upgrade for me to purchase the AV8801. I am using my current Denon as a pre/pro and my speakers are being powered by two Emotiva amps, XPA-2 and XPA-5. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

How can we answer this? We'd need to know what would make it worth it for you. Is there a feature you are missing that you would like?

AI Limited
post #771 of 12079 Old 12-08-2012, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 421
Quote:

As long as its on the discussion at hand and while I may not actually with all the uncontrolled commentary some times tiny bits of useful info comes through (sometimes). some find the things you post useful and some don't. but still I say post up! The last time I was on a thread with Joerod he posted on the Sony 790 and while I disagreed with some of the things he posted, many found it useful and got a great player for there money and I myself now look at the 790 as a strong contender for my dollar, why because he created a buzz on something I had no other wise considered and it didn't take the methods you would have used.

Bottom line like it or not we all bring something to the table (except "Trolls" of course!)wink.gif
post #772 of 12079 Old 12-08-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Limited View Post

How can we answer this? We'd need to know what would make it worth it for you. Is there a feature you are missing that you would like?

Sorry for not being more specific. I am trying to figure out if I would benefit from a few features that I currently do not have on my Denon. I currently do not have MultEQ XT32 or Sub Eq HT and I am running two DefTech Supercube 1 subwoofers. Would there be an improvement in sound quality using the stereo balanced out on my Oppo BDP95 to the balanced stereo in on the AV8801 for two channel playback? Will there be an improvement in picture quality on a receiver that is 5 years old vs the AV8801? Is it better to have a dedicated pre/pro versus an AVR using as a pre amp?

Thanks again!
post #773 of 12079 Old 12-08-2012, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Limited View Post

Well, I'll try and answer your question.......

Depends on what you want.... Here are some notable considerations.

1). XT32...... Simply mo bettah!!! than XT. This one improvement is considered substantial from audiophile to Cerwin Vega loving 80s, AC/DC listeners.
2). True dual sub EQ. Even bettah than "mo bettah". Of course if you only use one sub.... Not so much.
3). The 8801 is a true pre-amp. I see you have amps; how convenient.
4). XLR outs. Very cool. Now I don't buy the whole XLR's sound superior stuff but they do connect better and I much prefer them on equipment at any distance.
5). DSX and Neo-X plus you get wides and heights!!! Yeh.... Oh crap, means more amps to buy.
6). More things to tweak, more special audio features.
7). 4K pass through + you get a GUI on 3D material (This would be a nice small uptick from my 4311).
8). Marantz special and quite secret sauce stuff. This includes copper coolness, different circuit design, elves... who knows? Just recognize Marantz is supposedly D&M Holdings higher class line as compared to Denon.
9). A few more network functions including a rather pathetic atte most, of a network switch. (Utilize at your own risk - you lose a ton of potential network functionality by not using a true gigabit packet controlling device).
10). Really it's the only true pre amp defeatable (it doesn't have amps) in the D&M line that competes with the cheaper 4520, 4810, and 4311 for 11.1 or 11.2 capability.The 4311 and 4520 don't really power or switch off their amplifiers.
11). Much more advanced GUI than yours. Much, much more!!!

So my rather basic advice is if you have no desire to go full tilt 11.2 and see no benefit in moving to XT32 the issue of upgrade is really just personal and "gotta have it" based. If, OTOH, XT32 is your gig, there are cheaper options (4520 or fire sale 4311). Plus all that AVR as a toaster stuff from Onkyo.

For me, I have not ordered this monster yet.Personal bonus ETA is April and this is definately a discretionary item. I would like to upgrade almost solely on the kick up to XLR's to my amps. So far, early indications are my trusty 4311 compares favorably and Neo-X is not yet proving to be a huge tick up from Audyssey DSX. Some like it more, some a bit less. I need more opinions; even subjective to decide. I await Kal's review as well.
erhurd likes this.
post #774 of 12079 Old 12-08-2012, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Sorry I was away for a few days, work comes before fun. smile.gif
I was able to sit down this morning and listen to both the 80.3 and 8801 in 2 channel mode listening to my favorite songs with my Sonos ZP90. I did run XT32 on the Marantz, so it was a fair fight. Both preamps had identical settings, speakers crossed over at 120hz, dual subs. I listened to both at the same volume level. Today confirmed what I heard the first day, the Marantz has a larger soundstage, both horizontal and vertical. I felt that bass was also more musical (I know, dumb term), but I felt that the Marantz hit all the bass notes, where the Integra hit a few (like in the car audio world with a bandpass sub setup). These changes are drastic for me, as my speakers are fixed and I cannot move them around to adjust my soundstage.

My wife and I were watching a movie last night and she jumped from sound effects. We were watching a movie on TV, not blu ray. It was the first time she even noticed the surrounds.

I like the GUI a lot better on the Marantz, as well as the addition of 11.2, an ethernet switch, and airplay, just to name a few. Is it worth an additional $800 over they Integra, that is for you to decide. I have sold a fair amount of 80.3 preamps, and I own one. I think it is an absolute steal and it takes a chunk of change to better it, but I feel that the additional Marantz features make it an absolute winner. I was shocked that Integra didn't do anything with the 80.3 at CEDIA, my guess is that they will update the 80.3 (80.4? at CES or soon after).

Theater design at Audio Video Interiors of Chicago, Inc.

Right across from the Oakbrook Center Mall.

Noah B.

post #775 of 12079 Old 12-08-2012, 01:11 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Balanced audio - The audio signal that is carried on three wires (or five wires for stereo pair), with two of them carrying the same signal but with reversed polarity, and a third wire for shielding. Since the two signal wires would pick up virtually identical noise from outside (common mode noise), and that noise can be canceled out at the receiving end by a differential amplifier, the balanced audio is much less susceptible to hum and interference from long cable runs.

My humble Cinema
post #776 of 12079 Old 12-08-2012, 01:21 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by mankite View Post

Was does fully balanced add in terms of performance?

Balanced audio - The audio signal that is carried on three wires (or five wires for stereo pair), with two of them carrying the same signal but with reversed polarity, and a third wire for shielding. Since the two signal wires would pick up virtually identical noise from outside (common mode noise), and that noise can be canceled out at the receiving end by a differential amplifier, the balanced audio is much less susceptible to hum and interference from long cable runs.

It takes a reasonable amount of current flow (generally tens of milliamps) in the shield of a balanced line-level signal wire to become audible. Less than 300 microamps of ground loop current can cause hum as it flows in an unbalanced audio interconnect cable. However, harmonics of 60Hz that are generated from lighting dimmers or switch-mode power supplies sound like “Buzzz” mixed with a bit of “Hummm” and are more easily coupled by even smaller currents. Harmonics can add together when equipment is powered
from different phases, so clearly there is an advantage to specifying same-phase electrical service to power the electronics systems in most cases.

So it should sound better smile.gif

www.exactpower.com/elite/assets/pdfs/theTRUTH.pdf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balanced_audio

My humble Cinema
post #777 of 12079 Old 12-08-2012, 01:32 PM

So far it looks like there will be a huge improvement over what I currently have. So I am on board. Just called Magnolia they should have it in there system for order within the next few weeks!
post #778 of 12079 Old 12-08-2012, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:

anecdotal uncontrolled commentary is hardly "useful"
speak for yourself...........I'm interested in overall unit integration aspects- overall unit functionality
post #779 of 12079 Old 12-08-2012, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

speak for yourself...........I'm interested in overall unit integration aspects- overall unit functionality

The two trigger limitation could be a problem unless you intend to user 3rd party tiggering (eg. Crestron/AMX).
post #780 of 12079 Old 12-08-2012, 08:24 PM

Quote:
WRT the MM8077, a lot of folks seem turned off because it's not specked for 4 ohm loads.

I have ordered (and am still waiting for) an AV-8801 and an MM-8807. I must weigh in on this "not specked for 4 ohms" issue. My experience tells me that an amplifier's acceptable nominal load specification is often given way too much weight in buying decisions.

I have Apogee ribbon speakers (Mini-Grands, Centaur Minors and a Persius LCR). The panels on the Mini-Grands (also known as Stages), are specified as nominal 4 ohms with a minimum load of 3.25 ohms. The Centaurs and Persius are specified as nominal 6 ohms, with a minimum 4 ohm load.

In the past through the present, I have used four different amps with all of these speakers. They are:

1. Marantz SR-8500 receiver, 110 RMS into 8 ohm load.
  2. Acurus A-150, 150 RMS into 8 ohm load.
  3. Harman Kardon HK-770, 65 RMS into 8 ohm load.
  4. Llano A-100, 100 RMS into 8 ohm load, 200 RMS into 4 ohm load.

The top three amps in the list have worked with the Centaurs and the Persius. The best sound quality of the three not rated for use with 4 ohm speakers is the SR-8500. This is so even though its power supply must feed a 7 channel amp, plus a preamp and a tuner. Actually, the Acurus A-150 even did a decent job with the Mini-Grand's Stage panels. It was no match for the Llano (pure class A), but that should be expected.

The fact of the matter is that my speakers are really difficult to drive. I venture that the vast majority of the speakers owned by members of this forum should represent an easier load for a power amp to handle than my Apogees.

I have been waiting to upgrade from my SR-8500 for almost 10 years now, because I haven't seen a preamp/processor that had all of what I've wanted until now. When I saw the AV-8801, I knew that my wait was over.

I was not, in fact planning on a purchase of the MM-8807. I was going to continue to use the amps in the SR-8500 to drive my center and rear speakers. $3600 is a whole lot of money in my world. I didn't see spending an additional $2400 at the same time. But the combo deal Marantz has ($5000 for both pieces) was too good to pass up.

Considering I know that my Apogees are driven easily by a Marantz receiver with a much smaller and less robust power supply, I had absolutely no qualms about the fact that Marantz doesn't specify its power rating at four ohms.

Do I expect a big difference in sound quality with the MM-8807, versus the amps in the SR-8500? I do not know, and I don't expect that I'll find out. I have no intention of trying the MM-8807 with the SR-8500 as a preamp. I'm going straight to using the new amp and pre/pro. Since many variables will have changed, I won't be able to tell where all of the improvements have come from. I don't care. I'm just going to enjoy my new toys.

Steven.
erhurd likes this.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Ken Kreisel Dxd 12012 Subwoofer , Marantz Av8801 , Receivers Amplifiers , Audyssey , Integra
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page