AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrown425 View Post

Greetings.

Anyone using the AV8801 with the Logitec Harmony One remote? On the initial remote setup, the power on (activity) from this remote turns on all zones, but does not turn all zones off, thus leaving the AV8801 "on". When I programmed the "power on" setting of the Harmony remote by "Learning" the on command button from the Marantz remote, the Harmony One no longer turns on all zones, and only powers up the main zone (which is what I want.) However, the "activity" is not set properly when powering up the system (watch Blu-Ray, watch TV, etc.) and I have to press the activity button a second time once the AV8801 is on in order to set the AV8801 to the desired input. It powers up and defaults to the prior input from the previous session.

Not a big deal, but would prefer to press the "Activity" once and have everything come on per the activity selected. The wife gets confused and I have to remind her to press the activity on the Harmony twice to set the AV8801 to the proper input.

Thanks!

I have this combination and I don't exactly remember what I did, but if you turn the zones off on the Marantz, they should remain off. If I remember correctly smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7802 of 12164 Old 08-20-2013, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlxG View Post

If the hottest point was measured at 140 degrees right at the chip's case, I would start worrying about it. When it's 115-120 degrees at the top of the AV8801 enclosure, it tells me that convection cooling principles are working as it should as long as the cool air is pulled in from the bottom of the enclosure.

Gotcha, I'm not saying it's cause for alarm, just warmer than most IMO. I have a habit of listening at pretty high levels and it gets warmer than my amp.
post #7803 of 12164 Old 08-20-2013, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrown425 View Post

Greetings.

Anyone using the AV8801 with the Logitec Harmony One remote? On the initial remote setup, the power on (activity) from this remote turns on all zones, but does not turn all zones off, thus leaving the AV8801 "on". When I programmed the "power on" setting of the Harmony remote by "Learning" the on command button from the Marantz remote, the Harmony One no longer turns on all zones, and only powers up the main zone (which is what I want.) However, the "activity" is not set properly when powering up the system (watch Blu-Ray, watch TV, etc.) and I have to press the activity button a second time once the AV8801 is on in order to set the AV8801 to the desired input. It powers up and defaults to the prior input from the previous session.

Not a big deal, but would prefer to press the "Activity" once and have everything come on per the activity selected. The wife gets confused and I have to remind her to press the activity on the Harmony twice to set the AV8801 to the proper input.

Thanks!

Harmony's attempt to remember the state of you components during an activity.
If something does not receive the code, you have to go to the help or repeat the sequence.

There are up to five actions you can perform asside from those performed by the activity.
You can try adding your discrete ON commands these functions and they should always get set.
Harmony is almost a great remote.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #7804 of 12164 Old 08-20-2013, 09:00 AM

Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

Right over the middle of the HDMI ports is on the top of the unit is the hottest point.

My observations:
I've found that the warmest point (when looking at it from the front) is at the rear/left of the top of the AV8801's cabinet.
So I placed one of the two fans directly atop that.
Second warmest point is at the rear/middle point, so another fan went there.
The rear/right of the AV8801's cabinet only gets slightly warm, and the front half really doesn't get warm at all...
Scott-C likes this.

The Insane Pink Care Bear's Home Theater Set Up:

Marantz AV 8801 Processor, Emotiva XPR-5 Amplifier, Panasonic 65" ST30 Plasma, Yamaha BD-S2900 Blu-ray, Yamaha CDC-697 CD Player, Yamaha TT-500U Turntable, w/Signet TK5e, JBL ES100 Fronts, JBL LC2 Center, JBL ES30 Surrounds & 2 JBL ES250P Subwoofers
post #7805 of 12164 Old 08-20-2013, 11:49 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post

I have this combination and I don't exactly remember what I did, but if you turn the zones off on the Marantz, they should remain off. If I remember correctly smile.gif

You are correct. My issue is when using the Harmony remote. It wants to turn on all zones when you follow the standard programming (setup) but does not turn off each zone when powering off. I re-programmed the power-on (for the activities) by learning from the Marantz remote, but this doesn't set the specific activity until I press that activity a second time. It no longer turns on each zone, however, so that is good. I will play with the custom programming on the Harmony remote a bit more. See if I can program each "activity" a bit better when turning on the AV8801.

Thanks!
post #7806 of 12164 Old 08-20-2013, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I am getting ready to upgrade my turntable to a Pro-ject 2Xperience Classic http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?prod=xperiencec&cat=turntables&lang=en that will be connected to a Parasound JC3 phono preamp http://www.parasound.com/halo/jc3.php and then to the analog RCA stereo inputs of my 8801.

I have a pair of Cardas Clear Light Interconnects http://www.cardas.com/clear_light_ic.php that are long enough to go between the TT and the JC3. I have found a pair of Cardas Quadlink 5C http://www.cardas.com/quadlink_ic.php cables at a very reasonable price that I am thinking of using between the JC3 and the 8801.

Do you think stepping down from Clear Lights to the Quadlink cables for one of the legs going into the 8801 will be an acceptable compromise in SQ considering that it will save me about $500?

David Ferebee
post #7807 of 12164 Old 08-20-2013, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by discodol View Post

I am getting ready to upgrade my turntable to a Pro-ject 2Xperience Classic http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?prod=xperiencec&cat=turntables&lang=en that will be connected to a Parasound JC3 phono preamp http://www.parasound.com/halo/jc3.php and then to the analog RCA stereo inputs of my 8801.

I have a pair of Cardas Clear Light Interconnects http://www.cardas.com/clear_light_ic.php that are long enough to go between the TT and the JC3. I have found a pair of Cardas Quadlink 5C http://www.cardas.com/quadlink_ic.php cables at a very reasonable price that I am thinking of using between the JC3 and the 8801.

Do you think stepping down from Clear Lights to the Quadlink cables for one of the legs going into the 8801 will be an acceptable compromise in SQ considering that it will save me about $500?

To be honest I'll bet in a blind test no one could tell which cable is which if you compare those two and a set of $30 generic cables. In every blind test I've seen they get the correct cable around 50% of the time, which means they're guessing. Any quality cable from a place like BJC is all you need. Why spend hundreds or thousands of dollars if you can't hear it? Some guys will tell you they can hear a difference but they'd fail the test too biggrin.gif
OzzieP likes this.
post #7808 of 12164 Old 08-20-2013, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 33
don't overlook changing out the power cable of the 8801 too
post #7809 of 12164 Old 08-20-2013, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew101 View Post

don't overlook changing out the power cable of the 8801 too

Oh stop it would make no difference if you put a pure gold cable on it. Yikes I fell for the cable debate bait again, I keep failing this test tongue.gif
post #7810 of 12164 Old 08-20-2013, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

Oh stop it would make no difference if you put a pure gold cable on it. Yikes I fell for the cable debate bait again, I keep failing this test tongue.gif

Sucker! biggrin.gif well since you brought it up rolleyes.gif I guess I'll chime for a post and then I'm going home ( I always say this and it leads to just one more! I think I have a problem,wait ! does that mean I'm in cable denial or did I just take the first step eek.gifbiggrin.gif)

Ok here goes! who needs gold when silver or POCCC will do just fine on a power cable wink.gif
post #7811 of 12164 Old 08-20-2013, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

Sucker! biggrin.gif well since you brought it up rolleyes.gif I guess I'll chime for a post and then I'm going home ( I always say this and it leads to just one more! I think I have a problem,wait ! does that mean I'm in cable denial or did I just take the first step eek.gifbiggrin.gif)

Ok here goes! who needs gold when silver or POCCC will do just fine on a power cable wink.gif

Yes and we all know it's silver and POCCC from our houses to the power company biggrin.gif
post #7812 of 12164 Old 08-20-2013, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

:popcorn:

http://www.pstracks.com/pauls-posts/homemade-cables/11272/
http://www.pstracks.com/pauls-posts/the-prototype/11277/
http://www.pstracks.com/pauls-posts/lab-cable/11297/
post #7813 of 12164 Old 08-20-2013, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm done with the cable debate. If you can hear the difference I believe you smile.gif
post #7814 of 12164 Old 08-20-2013, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 517
The cable debate will degrade faster than a signal thru a Bose.

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
post #7815 of 12164 Old 08-20-2013, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

The cable debate will degrade faster than a signal thru a Bose.

LOL biggrin.gif
post #7816 of 12164 Old 08-20-2013, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

I appreciate the opinion of those who do not think cables make a difference; if anyone out there thinks otherwise I would like to hear your thoughts on my question.

David Ferebee
post #7817 of 12164 Old 08-20-2013, 02:05 PM
The Truth Hz

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 751
Please not in this thread...Good lord please!!!

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7818 of 12164 Old 08-20-2013, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

No cable debates please biggrin.gif
post #7819 of 12164 Old 08-20-2013, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I appreciate the opinion of those who do not think cables make a difference; if anyone out there thinks otherwise I would like to hear your thoughts on my question.

Go with your plan as you'll be able to recoup your funds and move up, I say say give them a shot and hope the better ones filter down the benfits wink.gif
post #7820 of 12164 Old 08-20-2013, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 106
I'll bite :eek:I beleive interconnects make a difference to my ears I have no doubt . I swear by Analysis plus oval one if you don't need XLRs . I recently did a side by side comparison With a higher end Kimber Hero IC to the Oval one and noticed a fuller sound more bass . The kimbers sounded bright I listen to a lot of jazz and the instruments sounded harsh with the kimbers . With some recordings the kimbers sounded better with more detail but they were very picky . I felt the oval ones sounded better with more recordings . Long story short those were my choice after spending 4 days with both with my in house demo . I strongly beleive though it depends on your gear as far as what IC sounds best for you with your setup .

My current HT
post #7821 of 12164 Old 08-20-2013, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Just calibrate XT32 in 8801 today for the second time in three weeks.

On initial set up, I set LCR to large due to waiting for an S2. Well............................calibrated for the second time in three weeks and for the life of me, Audyssey wont let we switch back to small for LCR.

So.....................I went into manual setup and changed crossovers and LCR to small and bumped up sub 3db's. Am I good to go?

I've heard rumors changing anything post calibration ruins the XT32 calibration. Just checking before I blow a few 8" mid-woofers!! biggrin.gif

My Build Threads

post #7822 of 12164 Old 08-21-2013, 03:02 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked: 1523
Changing the settings post Audyssey will not impact the actual "EQ" as it's the 8801 that makes those settings and not Audyssey, so then yes, you are good to go. Also note that without a sub in the setup, the FL/FR speakers will default to LARGE as that is where the lower frequencies and LFE would go.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #7823 of 12164 Old 08-21-2013, 03:12 AM
AVS Special Member

If you lowered your crossovers (raising them has no impact on Audyssey) from where Audyssey had set them everything below that xo point is not filtered by Audyssey, even if set to large I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong guys.
post #7824 of 12164 Old 08-21-2013, 03:59 AM
AVS Special Member

A big congrats to jdsmoothie! If you notice his new logo he's a member of the AVS Science sales team, and I can't think of anyone more qualified for this. Best of luck in your new venture JD.
jrhooper1963 likes this.
post #7825 of 12164 Old 08-21-2013, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I recently bought a pair of Revel Salon 2’s and I am loving them. I have been listening to them in my bedroom with a Bel-Canto DAC3 directly driving a pair of Ref1000’s and music sounds amazing. I am looking to move these speakers into my main theater rig which is currently controlled by a Marantz AV8003 Processor. The AV8003 has been pretty good for a theater processor although I added the DAC3 to beef up the 2 channel music performance.

My usage is probably 65% music, 35% movies/games. The thing I care most about is stereo audio sound quality.

I’ve done a fair amount of reading and have landed on a few options.

1. Replace the combo of AV8003 and DAC3 with a Anthem D2v (my dealer is able to get me a rather aggressive price on the latest version). I am wondering here how the DACs in the D2v compare with the BC DAC3.
2. Replace the combo of the AV8003 and DAC3 with a Marantz AV8801. Here I am also wondering how the DACs in the AV8801 compare with the BC DAC3. I’m assuming that the D2v is better for 2 channel audio than the AV8801 but im not sure by how much. Also wondering if the AV8801 is a step-up from the AV8003 for stereo music.
3. Replace just the AV8003 with the AV8801 and keep the DAC3. There are a few advantages to having the DACs inside the processor (I can apply adjustments) but of course if the BC DAC3 sounds better than either the D2v or the AV8801 then this might be something to consider.

The D2v will probably cost me about $1500 more than what I can get the AV8801 for.

I have thought about keeping a dedicated two channel setup but it seems like a waste of space and id like to get the benefit of the Salon 2's for movies and the benefit (if possible) of the f113 for music.

If you’re wondering why not just keep the AV8003, it has a few limitations that are really bothersome. There is a bug which keeps it from designating the front speakers as “large” and having a separate subwoofer at the same time. I have a JL Fathom f113 that I want to use with the Salons. Additionally, for a second zone, you cannot use a digital source. I have speakers on my porch and can’t play the music from my apple tv out there. I’m hoping neither the D2v nor the AV8801 have these limitations, but if they do, please let me know.

Thanks in Advance!

Revel Ultima2 Salon2 [pair] || Revel Ultima2 Voice2 || Revel Ultima2 Gem2 [quad] || JL Audio Fathom f212 [pair]
Mark Levinson No 502 || Bel Canto REF1000 [pair] || Rotel RB-1090 || Rotel RMB-1095 || Furman IT-Reference 20i

post #7826 of 12164 Old 08-21-2013, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by htdhvy View Post

I recently bought a pair of Revel Salon 2’s and I am loving them. I have been listening to them in my bedroom with a Bel-Canto DAC3 directly driving a pair of Ref1000’s and music sounds amazing. I am looking to move these speakers into my main theater rig which is currently controlled by a Marantz AV8003 Processor. The AV8003 has been pretty good for a theater processor although I added the DAC3 to beef up the 2 channel music performance.

My usage is probably 65% music, 35% movies/games. The thing I care most about is stereo audio sound quality.

I’ve done a fair amount of reading and have landed on a few options.

1. Replace the combo of AV8003 and DAC3 with a Anthem D2v (my dealer is able to get me a rather aggressive price on the latest version). I am wondering here how the DACs in the D2v compare with the BC DAC3.
2. Replace the combo of the AV8003 and DAC3 with a Marantz AV8801. Here I am also wondering how the DACs in the AV8801 compare with the BC DAC3. I’m assuming that the D2v is better for 2 channel audio than the AV8801 but im not sure by how much. Also wondering if the AV8801 is a step-up from the AV8003 for stereo music.
3. Replace just the AV8003 with the AV8801 and keep the DAC3. There are a few advantages to having the DACs inside the processor (I can apply adjustments) but of course if the BC DAC3 sounds better than either the D2v or the AV8801 then this might be something to consider.

The D2v will probably cost me about $1500 more than what I can get the AV8801 for.

I have thought about keeping a dedicated two channel setup but it seems like a waste of space and id like to get the benefit of the Salon 2's for movies and the benefit (if possible) of the f113 for music.

If you’re wondering why not just keep the AV8003, it has a few limitations that are really bothersome. There is a bug which keeps it from designating the front speakers as “large” and having a separate subwoofer at the same time. I have a JL Fathom f113 that I want to use with the Salons. Additionally, for a second zone, you cannot use a digital source. I have speakers on my porch and can’t play the music from my apple tv out there. I’m hoping neither the D2v nor the AV8801 have these limitations, but if they do, please let me know.

Thanks in Advance!

The D2v is old news. Under featured and over priced. Your better off with the 8801 and there are guys coming from the D2v to the 8801 on this thread that will chime in I'm sure. There are also some Salon owners on here, I have the Revel F52's and can tell you the 8801 sounds incredible through them along with a Sunfire amp. Good luck with your choice smile.gif
post #7827 of 12164 Old 08-21-2013, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Keep your Dac for sure if you buy the 8801 , I run a separate Dac with my 8801 night and day . I also had 2 Anthems not worth the money

Preamp: NOS Valves NBS Preamplifier
Selah Tempestas
BMC Pure Dac - Mac Mini
VPI Classic 2
post #7828 of 12164 Old 08-21-2013, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I would sell my 8801 for 2000.00 if anyone is interested plus fee's and shipping smile.gif

Preamp: NOS Valves NBS Preamplifier
Selah Tempestas
BMC Pure Dac - Mac Mini
VPI Classic 2
post #7829 of 12164 Old 08-21-2013, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Thanks.....................

That's what I figured...............yet better check to be on the safe side. biggrin.gif

My Build Threads

post #7830 of 12164 Old 08-21-2013, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

Thanks.....................

That's what I figured...............yet better check to be on the safe side. biggrin.gif

Your welcome, I only have about six months experience with Audyssey but this is what I'm reading.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Ken Kreisel Dxd 12012 Subwoofer , Marantz Av8801 , Receivers Amplifiers , Audyssey , Integra
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page