Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread - Page 274 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #8191 of 12302 Old 09-16-2013, 01:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 27
So rumour has it Sony 4k displays and projector are firmware upgrade able to HDMI 2.0 would be great if the 8801 could too, anyone in the know understand if this is possible?
http://www.redsharknews.com/technology/item/1053-sony-s-4k-tvs-are-upgradable-to-hdmi-2-0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8192 of 12302 Old 09-16-2013, 02:07 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 2153 Post(s)
Liked: 1786
Not likely ... rather you will see it in the 8801 successor.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Direct line 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #8193 of 12302 Old 09-16-2013, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Thank you. I will set my mains to small. Life is too short for sloppy bass.

post #8194 of 12302 Old 09-16-2013, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 409
^^^
I might have to steal that terminology, I like that biggrin.gif
post #8195 of 12302 Old 09-16-2013, 06:04 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

I do not believe this is a problem.
These settings a input specific so changing one does not affect another input.

- Rich

the problem i was referring to is that you get no on screen display if you turn video conversion off. you should be able to get a volume status bar regardless of having video conversion on or off.
post #8196 of 12302 Old 09-16-2013, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter
exm
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Updated page 1 with the firmware info - thanks jdsmoothie.
post #8197 of 12302 Old 09-16-2013, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post

Updated page 1 with the firmware info - thanks jdsmoothie.

Thanks to both of you, we appreciate it.
post #8198 of 12302 Old 09-16-2013, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by treky11 View Post

the problem i was referring to is that you get no on screen display if you turn video conversion off. you should be able to get a volume status bar regardless of having video conversion on or off.

You need some video processing to have an overlay on-screen display.
Turn off all processing and you get what you asked for.

Why is this a problem?

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A21 & A31 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #8199 of 12302 Old 09-16-2013, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

You need some video processing to have an overlay on-screen display.
Turn off all processing and you get what you asked for.

Why is this a problem?

- Rich

IMO inserting a volume overlay temporarily shouldn't require video processing. else, give us an option for just that. why can't we choose to leave video processing off and have the option to toggle volume / info on or off too. its a simple firmware update.

my TV set has been calibrated so I want to see no processing in btwn the source and the tv, which is why i turned it off. i would happily accept a volume bar on/off option knowing that it could cause a brief color issue while the volume bar was on.
post #8200 of 12302 Old 09-16-2013, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Volume on screen is video processing,
post #8201 of 12302 Old 09-16-2013, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post

Volume on screen is video processing,

Most people view video processing as altering the picture in some way such as color adjustment or scaling. Ask someone, I would be shocked if they said volume overlay. And since nobody chimed in With an immediate did you turn off video conversion guessing it wasn't that obvious to anybody else either
post #8202 of 12302 Old 09-17-2013, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by treky11 View Post

Most people view video processing as altering the picture in some way such as color adjustment or scaling. Ask someone, I would be shocked if they said volume overlay. And since nobody chimed in With an immediate did you turn off video conversion guessing it wasn't that obvious to anybody else either

If you want no processing, you can turn it off.
If you want no scaling and volume overlay, you can have that.

If you want to on the fly go from no processing to overlay processing, not likely as the transition can be disruptive.
This product has been out for a while and their are over 8000 posts and you are the first to have an issue with this.

I have a Lumagen radiance down stream which I calibrated with my display, I have not measured any changes.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A21 & A31 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #8203 of 12302 Old 09-17-2013, 11:18 AM

Liked: 21
XLR cable shoot-out using AV8801, Gemstone Amp (same as Simaudio Aurora) and Von Schweikert VR-4Jr speakers:

When I first switch to Mogami 2549 XLR cables, I was delighted with high frequency extension and transparent sound. However, I have stopped listening to 2-channel music because it sounded too sterile for my taste lacking harmonically rich/full midrange and bottom end extension. At first I though that the lack of bass slam was due to switching from bi-amping to a single amp configuration.

Since I was so unhappy with the sterile/uninvolving sound, that I've asked my friend to drag his Rega DAC, Ayre K-5xe 2-channel preamp, and the Perreaux PMF-2350 amp in to my house and conduct the shoot out.

With my Magomi cables and the Ayre preamp, I have notices a very black background, a much more transparent sound and enormous soundstage as compared to AV8801. I hated the overall result, because the sound was so sterile that we have quickly stopped listening to music. It just sucked mad.gif

I thought maybe just maybe it was my speakers. So, my friend and I've decided to try the Perreaux amp and Ayre preamp and completely bypassed AV8801. Since Perreaux only use RCA connectors, we have plugged in the Ayre via RCA connectors. We were not expecting much... OMG, both my friend's and my jaw have dropped to the floor. It was the best sound we heard...PERIOD. The blackest background we have ever heard... refined high frequency extension, excellent midrange bloom, enormous bottom-end and extremely engaging music. We couldn't stop tapping our toes for about 2 hours of music enjoyment. My friend was so impressed with my speakers that he just placed an order for a factory demo VR-4Jr's.

I was so pissed-off with my setup, that I started to call around to get my hands on a better amp to get more warmth in music. I have to thank my friend for cooling me down and suggesting to try different XLR cables before starting to blow lot's of cash on power amps. So, I ordered Blue Jeans 1800F XLR cables and spent 2 hours going back and forth comparing 2549 to 1800F cables with my AV8801 and Gemstone.

Here's my impression:

1) With1800F, the bass extension and slam was greatly improved probably as good as it was with my bi-amp configuration.
2) The midrange is now harmonically rich. The warmth is greatly improve downright musically engaging. With 2549, the midrange was completely bleached out, by severely suppressing the harmonics and making the music sound very cold and analytical/univolving.
3) the 1800F reduces the top-end extension which I now miss. It does have that pristine high frequency shimmer which I really like.

I'll try to experiment with different DAC's to see if I can keep my midrange bloom and increase a bit more of the top-end.

- Alex
post #8204 of 12302 Old 09-17-2013, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewa View Post

So rumour has it Sony 4k displays and projector are firmware upgrade able to HDMI 2.0 would be great if the 8801 could too, anyone in the know understand if this is possible?
http://www.redsharknews.com/technology/item/1053-sony-s-4k-tvs-are-upgradable-to-hdmi-2-0

I contacted Marantz support and their response:

Thank you for your inquiry. However, we will not be offering any updates or upgrades for our current prodcuts to make them HDMI 2.0.

Thank you,

Technical Support/Custom Install
D+M Group
post #8205 of 12302 Old 09-17-2013, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlxG View Post

XLR cable shoot-out using AV8801, Gemstone Amp (same as Simaudio Aurora) and Von Schweikert VR-4Jr speakers:

When I first switch to Mogami 2549 XLR cables, I was delighted with high frequency extension and transparent sound. However, I have stopped listening to 2-channel music because it sounded too sterile for my taste lacking harmonically rich/full midrange and bottom end extension. At first I though that the lack of bass slam was due to switching from bi-amping to a single amp configuration.

Since I was so unhappy with the sterile/uninvolving sound, that I've asked my friend to drag his Rega DAC, Ayre K-5xe 2-channel preamp, and the Perreaux PMF-2350 amp in to my house and conduct the shoot out.

With my Magomi cables and the Ayre preamp, I have notices a very black background, a much more transparent sound and enormous soundstage as compared to AV8801. I hated the overall result, because the sound was so sterile that we have quickly stopped listening to music. It just sucked mad.gif

I thought maybe just maybe it was my speakers. So, my friend and I've decided to try the Perreaux amp and Ayre preamp and completely bypassed AV8801. Since Perreaux only use RCA connectors, we have plugged in the Ayre via RCA connectors. We were not expecting much... OMG, both my friend's and my jaw have dropped to the floor. It was the best sound we heard...PERIOD. The blackest background we have ever heard... refined high frequency extension, excellent midrange bloom, enormous bottom-end and extremely engaging music. We couldn't stop tapping our toes for about 2 hours of music enjoyment. My friend was so impressed with my speakers that he just placed an order for a factory demo VR-4Jr's.

I was so pissed-off with my setup, that I started to call around to get my hands on a better amp to get more warmth in music. I have to thank my friend for cooling me down and suggesting to try different XLR cables before starting to blow lot's of cash on power amps. So, I ordered Blue Jeans 1800F XLR cables and spent 2 hours going back and forth comparing 2549 to 1800F cables with my AV8801 and Gemstone.

Here's my impression:

1) With1800F, the bass extension and slam was greatly improved probably as good as it was with my bi-amp configuration.
2) The midrange is now harmonically rich. The warmth is greatly improve downright musically engaging. With 2549, the midrange was completely bleached out, by severely suppressing the harmonics and making the music sound very cold and analytical/univolving.
3) the 1800F reduces the top-end extension which I now miss. It does have that pristine high frequency shimmer which I really like.

I'll try to experiment with different DAC's to see if I can keep my midrange bloom and increase a bit more of the top-end.

Morrow Audio MA3 XLR

Thank me later wink.gif
post #8206 of 12302 Old 09-17-2013, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielb6752 View Post

Thank you for your inquiry. However, we will not be offering any updates or upgrades for our current prodcuts to make them HDMI 2.0.

Thank you,

D+M Group

That doesn't surprise me. Until 4K is in full swing the current version of HDMI will handle most of our needs smile.gif
post #8207 of 12302 Old 09-17-2013, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

That doesn't surprise me. Until 4K is in full swing the current version of HDMI will handle most of our needs smile.gif

I never send video through a processor, so I can keep my 8801 till Atmos comes to the home ( which could be a while) and maybe not even then as I still have 5.1 and have 6.1 more channels to explore biggrin.gif
post #8208 of 12302 Old 09-17-2013, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

I never send video through a processor, so I can keep my 8801 till Atmos comes to the home ( which could be a while) and maybe not even then as I still have 5.1 and have 6.1 more channels to explore biggrin.gif

Yeah it sounds like it will be awhile for ATMOS. An AVS reviewer was talking about it in a thread and he said maybe a few years. Like you I'm 5.1 and looking to add a pair of rears and either a double 15" sub or two single 15's. I would be more than happy with that.
post #8209 of 12302 Old 09-17-2013, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielb6752 View Post

Thank you,

D+M Group

Thanks, I was expecting that to be the case. Not concerned either way just interested how adventurous they would get with firmware updates, looks like it will be bug fixes not feature enhancements
post #8210 of 12302 Old 09-17-2013, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Given the ability to split screen from audio, I would think the best route will be a new version of oppo that would accept 2.0 from external sources as well as play a new verison of 4k BLURAYS and send the video to the display with the sound going into the sound processor.
post #8211 of 12302 Old 09-17-2013, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewa View Post

Thanks, I was expecting that to be the case. Not concerned either way just interested how adventurous they would get with firmware updates, looks like it will be bug fixes not feature enhancements

It is probably not possible without a hardware update.
Even if it were, it would add no features.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

post #8212 of 12302 Old 09-17-2013, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Yeah, I fully acknowledge there are workarounds with output devices that have dual HDMI, but I was hoping for a one-cable-to-rule-them-all future for my AV system... as I have a very tricky in-wall cable run from the AV rack to the TV.

At least HDMI 2.0 doesn't require us to rip out / replace our existing high speed/HDMI 1.4 cables. Any word from Redmere on HDMI 2.0 support? smile.gif
post #8213 of 12302 Old 09-17-2013, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 282
If airplay is used via an ipod or iphone, does the itunes audio slider cause the marantz volume knob to move? Or is the marantz volume and ipod volume independent only?

Blazar!
post #8214 of 12302 Old 09-17-2013, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post

If airplay is used via an ipod or iphone, does the itunes audio slider cause the marantz volume knob to move? Or is the marantz volume and ipod volume independent only?

Sliding the airplays volume control is actually turning the 8801's volume up or down. You can also use the Marantz's volume control.
post #8215 of 12302 Old 09-17-2013, 11:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 204
I would like to run my headphone amplifier off of the zone 2 output.

I have a higher end headphone amp and would like to compare it to the headphone output on the front of the 8801. Pretty sure that the headphone amp will work better.

Where I'm having a problem is directing the Aux 2 and cable/sat input to the zone 2 output. The Aux 2 and cable/sat inputs don't appear on the list of source options. Everything else shows up there.

Seems that they should be there but they aren't.

Anyone have any idea what's going on and how I can get these inputs to output to zone 2???? If there is any connection, I'm trying to do this with main turned off and only zone 2 on.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, VideoForge HDMI II, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #8216 of 12302 Old 09-18-2013, 03:15 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
hey guys

I am on hunt for an oppo105 but I am little confused what sort of connection I should use to maximize the performance on both video and audio

so the ideas and questions are as below
1- ) I am going to split video and audio to hdm1 and hmdi2 to get better performance however the question is if I connect audio to DVD HDMI and Video to Bluray HDMI ports of AV8801 how would I get the both audio and video? is there any setting allows me to group 2 hdmi ports on av8801 so they can both play at the same time. the reason is I have 1 hdmi out going to my LCD and another going to my projector. I cant have second cable from oppo to projector so I want to do everything thru AV8801.

2-) I will connect oppo to av8801 with XLR for stereo listening, I will mainly listen Flac songs from network should I let oppo to deal with DAC or should I bypass oppo and let av8801 to process it ? or alternatively should I directly play flac files from av8801 ?

Emotiva XPR-5 | Marantz AV8801 | Klipsch RF-7II Front | Klipsch RF-82II Surround | Klipsch RC-64II Center | Oppo 105 BRP | Sunfire TS EQ12 Sub | Elitescreen Cinetension2 120" screen | Sony HW55ES Pj | Playstation 4
post #8217 of 12302 Old 09-18-2013, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkat View Post

hey guys

I am on hunt for an oppo105 but I am little confused what sort of connection I should use to maximize the performance on both video and audio

1- ) I am going to split video and audio to hdm1 and hmdi2 to get better performance however the question is if I connect audio to DVD HDMI and Video to Bluray HDMI ports of AV8801 how would I get the both audio and video? is there any setting allows me to group 2 hdmi ports on av8801 so they can both play at the same time. the reason is I have 1 hdmi out going to my LCD and another going to my projector. I cant have second cable from oppo to projector so I want to do everything thru AV8801.

2-) I will connect oppo to av8801 with XLR for stereo listening, I will mainly listen Flac songs from network should I let oppo to deal with DAC or should I bypass oppo and let av8801 to process it ? or alternatively should I directly play flac files from av8801 ?

From the 105 straight to your display via HDMI and HDMI to your 8801 for audio. Of course there are other ways but this is probably what most are doing. Very tough to beat the quality.
post #8218 of 12302 Old 09-18-2013, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkat View Post

hey guys

In order to use the BDP-105 DACs, you need to use the 7.1 or XLRs.
The XLRs can go through an A to D conversion and we are not sure if they do in Pure Direct mode,
I prefer the 7.1.

You should try them and see what you like.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

post #8219 of 12302 Old 09-18-2013, 06:23 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 2153 Post(s)
Liked: 1786
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

I would like to run my headphone amplifier off of the zone 2 output.

I have a higher end headphone amp and would like to compare it to the headphone output on the front of the 8801. Pretty sure that the headphone amp will work better.

Where I'm having a problem is directing the Aux 2 and cable/sat input to the zone 2 output. The Aux 2 and cable/sat inputs don't appear on the list of source options. Everything else shows up there.

Seems that they should be there but they aren't.

Anyone have any idea what's going on and how I can get these inputs to output to zone 2???? If there is any connection, I'm trying to do this with main turned off and only zone 2 on.

Keep in mind that only "analog" connected sources will pass to Zone 2.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Direct line 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #8220 of 12302 Old 09-18-2013, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:

Sliding the airplays volume control is actually turning the 8801's volume up or down. You can also use the Marantz's volume control.

Nice, excellent feature ... volume control is likely done more accurately by the marantz. Itunes/ipods simply use software digital attenuation and would add another layer of data loss to the final signal.

If only the ipad would come out with 300+ gig space and wifi AC, i could play my entire library lossless off of it.

Blazar!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Ken Kreisel Dxd 12012 Subwoofer , Marantz Av8801 , Receivers Amplifiers , Audyssey , Integra
Gear in this thread - Av8801 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page