Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread - Page 302 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #9031 of 12802 Old 11-08-2013, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I have a volume question. I had an older CD playing through my PS3 today and I was able to turn it up to about 92 on the volume but it would not physically go higher even though in setup it shows to 98. I was kind of surprised that was absolute maximum volume. It's not like my amp is underpowering the system. It was very loud but still very clear. Any ideas? Thanks

Marantz AV 8801 Processor
Sunfire Signature Amp 400x7
Oppo DV971H DVD Player
PS3
PS4
Klipsch RF-7
Klispch RS-7
Klipsch RC-7
Sharp Aquos 80; 3D Quattron
Power Sound Audio Triax Subwoofer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9032 of 12802 Old 11-08-2013, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcuron View Post

I have a volume question. I had an older CD playing through my PS3 today and I was able to turn it up to about 92 on the volume but it would not physically go higher even though in setup it shows to 98. I was kind of surprised that was absolute maximum volume. It's not like my amp is underpowering the system. It was very loud but still very clear. Any ideas? Thanks

If your trim levels are high the Max volume number goes down. I think or at least they did on my previous pre/pro.
post #9033 of 12802 Old 11-08-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

If your trim levels are high the Max volume number goes down. I think or at least they did on my previous pre/pro.

Fronts: -6
Center -3.5
Surround -3.0
Sub -6.5 but I did increase it to -3.5 for a little more.

Seems weird everything is negative trim yet still that limit.

Oppo DV971H DVD Player
PS3
PS4
Klipsch RF-7
Klispch RS-7
Klipsch RC-7
post #9034 of 12802 Old 11-08-2013, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Center -3.5
Surround -3.0

Seems weird everything is negative trim yet still that limit.

You should use the relative volume scale, that way you would know 0 is reference. Just a thought. Under settings>volume there is a way to limit the volume, maybe your max is set at 92.
post #9035 of 12802 Old 11-08-2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:

You should use the relative volume scale, that way you would know 0 is reference. Just a thought. Under settings>volume there is a way to limit the volume, maybe your max is set at 92.

Thanks..I appreciate you trying to help. I tried the DB route too and it stopped at like 12 instead of 18. The max is set to no limit.

On a side note.....If all of my trims are set to a negative number for example:
Center -3.5
Surround -3.0

Is there a negative to increasing them all by 3DB so surrounds would be 0, fronts -3db and Center -.5? Sub I can take care of separately.

Oppo DV971H DVD Player
PS3
PS4
Klipsch RF-7
Klispch RS-7
Klipsch RC-7
post #9036 of 12802 Old 11-08-2013, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks..I appreciate you trying to help. I tried the DB route too and it stopped at like 12 instead of 18. The max is set to no limit.

Center -3.5
Surround -3.0

Is there a negative to increasing them all by 3DB so surrounds would be 0, fronts -3db and Center -.5? Sub I can take care of separately.

If Audyssey set them you should leave them there at least for movies. I do turn my surrounds and center down a few db for music.
post #9037 of 12802 Old 11-08-2013, 09:51 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked: 473
Question is the Marantz a fully differential balanced design?
post #9038 of 12802 Old 11-08-2013, 10:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 498 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Question is the Marantz a fully differential balanced design?

That was asked before and I believe the answer was that it wasn't.

Tools: Calman 5, Chromapure, VideoForge HDMI II, Klein K10A, eecolor colorbox.
Displays: Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Pioneer 51, Tivo Roamio and Mini, Dish VIP722.
Audio: Marantz AV8801, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP
post #9039 of 12802 Old 11-08-2013, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Quote:

Center -3.5
Surround -3.0

Manual page 44 states: >>The variable range differs according to the input signal and channel level setting.<< That means the channel gain trims can affect volume range, and so can the Source Level settings (p. 135). The thing is, you may find that no matter what you do, the overall max gain from source to output jacks remains a constant. OTOH, you may find that you can game the system to get more juice out of it. It depends on how the designers wrote the code -- did they pre-allocate certain ranges to certain functions, or is it a zero sum game. All three of these controls are talking to a single analog volume control stage, and that's why these things are not fully independent.

You can try some experiments. Change the source level setting for the CD input, say, 5 dB higher. Does the volume range go down another 5 dB or stay the same? If same, it ought to sound louder.

You can also try raising the gain trims by 3 dB idea. The only things that affects are the volume reading for a certain SPL, and since those numbers mean nothing, no need to worry. It will also shift DEQ to act 3 dB stronger, so you'd have to either like it, turn it off, or use RLO to compensate.

I wouldn't worry about secondary effects until you determine what's interacting with the volume range.

Deadwood Atmos theater [HTOM]
AV7702 Atmos 7.4.4, SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, B&W CWM8180 surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs
post #9040 of 12802 Old 11-08-2013, 11:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Quote:

I tried the DB route too and it stopped at like 12 instead of 18. The max is set to no limit.
I have a question. Using the volume scale setting in the -79/+18 mode, I'd like to find out the actual SPL of a known test signal when the volume is set to 0 dB. Do you have one of the various test discs that have noise signals such as THX Optimizer, or Spears/Munsil, etc? If you have the AIX disc, set the volume to -10 for this test as their noise is recorded 10 dB louder.

Deadwood Atmos theater [HTOM]
AV7702 Atmos 7.4.4, SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, B&W CWM8180 surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs
post #9041 of 12802 Old 11-09-2013, 05:29 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm considering the 8801. I don't doubt the sound quality. I will however be using this in a setup with several sources, and switching b/w TV and projector outputs. All HDMI. My issue is then: how good is the 8801 as a HDMI switch/matrix?

I will use it in an automated setup with iRule, and it needs to be very reliable as both my wife and kids will use it.
post #9042 of 12802 Old 11-09-2013, 07:29 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View PostThat was asked before and I believe the answer was that it wasn't.

Are any of them fully balanced?

post #9043 of 12802 Old 11-09-2013, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think fully balanced is a myth or for people that can afford a $15,000 pre/pro wink.gif Explain fully balanced?
post #9044 of 12802 Old 11-09-2013, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1296 Post(s)
Liked: 691
Supposedly some high-priced stereo preamps and amps are fully balanced.

Dont' forget that XLR connections are irrelevant in most home audio environments. The improvements they provide are primarily emotional ones. While they do provide more secure mechanical connections than many RCA connectors, their primary purpose is to reduce pickup of broadcast noise. This is very important in a live music presentation on a large stage where cables have to run long distances in an electrically noisy environment. Most homes are not like that.

Selden

Marantz SR7009+MM9000/Atmos 7.1.4 (FH+TM:DefTech PM1000)/LCR+TM amped
post #9045 of 12802 Old 11-09-2013, 08:03 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think fully balanced is a myth or for people that can afford a $15,000 pre/pro wink.gif Explain fully balanced?

Well if you use active studio monitors you need fully differential balanced

http://www.ti.com/lit/an/sloa054d/sloa054d.pdf
post #9046 of 12802 Old 11-09-2013, 08:34 AM

Liked: 22

"Dont' forget that XLR connections are irrelevant in most home audio environments. The improvements they provide are primarily emotional ones. While they do provide more secure mechanical connections than many RCA connectors, their primary purpose is to reduce pickup of broadcast noise. This is very important in a live music presentation on a large stage where cables have to run long distances in an electrically noisy environment. Most homes are not like that".

Couldn't agree more. And I'll add that your statement applies to most of the hype pitched by hind end cable manufacturers and retailers. I am particularly fond of the "hospital grade" AC power cords that are 3 feet long and sell for the big bucks. "Can't you hear the better imaging detail"? Never mind the fact that these pieces of wire are plugged into your electrical outlet that is fed from long runs of cheap wire. Relatively short runs of speaker wire? I'll admit I've fallen into the "emotional satisfaction" trap in years past too, buying gigantic, outrageously priced short runs of "biwire" speaker cable, all to the great satisfaction of the retailer who "just wanted me to get the best sound quality". Gotta love this hobby!

post #9047 of 12802 Old 11-09-2013, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:

The Emotiva XMC-1 to be available this January (or February?) will be a 'fully balanced' surround pre-pro.
Part of their product description reads:
"The XMC-1 is also a highly refined pure analog preamplifier, with a fully balanced audio path. Its analog performance easily meets the needs of the most demanding two-channel playback system".
Also a surround processor with Dirac Live™ room correction...
http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/processors/products/xmc1
$2,000.

The Insane Pink Care Bear's Home Theater Set Up:

Marantz AV 8801 Processor, Emotiva XPR-5 Amplifier, Panasonic 65" ST30 Plasma, Yamaha BD-S2900 Blu-ray, Yamaha CDC-697 CD Player, Yamaha TT-500U Turntable, w/Signet TK5e, JBL ES100 Fronts, JBL LC2 Center, JBL ES30 Surrounds & 2 JBL ES250P Subwoofers
post #9048 of 12802 Old 11-09-2013, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

http://www.ti.com/lit/an/sloa054d/sloa054d.pdf

I know and they all claim fully balanced. I'm assuming the Marantz isn't truly fully balance but would we know one if we heard it? I am not convinced and just like spentmuch said above there are many myths in high end audio and the higher up the ladder you go the bigger the claims are. One thing I'm sure of is the 8801 is one great sounding piece and it will stay in my setup for a long time. In 3 or 4 years maybe Atmos will make it to HT and I can do a dedicated 2.1 music room with the Marantz.
post #9049 of 12802 Old 11-09-2013, 10:30 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Norseman View Post

The Emotiva XMC-1 to be available this January (or February?) will be a 'fully balanced' surround pre-pro.
Part of their product description reads:
"The XMC-1 is also a highly refined pure analog preamplifier, with a fully balanced audio path. Its analog performance easily meets the needs of the most demanding two-channel playback system".Also a surround processor with Dirac Live™ room correction...http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/processors/products/xmc1
$2,000.

I will never buy EMOTIVA until they get rid of that smell!
post #9050 of 12802 Old 11-09-2013, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by spentmuch View Post

"Dont' forget that XLR connections are irrelevant in most home audio environments. The improvements they provide are primarily emotional ones. While they do provide more secure mechanical connections than many RCA connectors, their primary purpose is to reduce pickup of broadcast noise. This is very important in a live music presentation on a large stage where cables have to run long distances in an electrically noisy environment. Most homes are not like that".

Couldn't agree more. And I'll add that your statement applies to most of the hype pitched by hind end cable manufacturers and retailers. I am particularly fond of the "hospital grade" AC power cords that are 3 feet long and sell for the big bucks. "Can't you hear the better imaging detail"? Never mind the fact that these pieces of wire are plugged into your electrical outlet that is fed from long runs of cheap wire. Relatively short runs of speaker wire? I'll admit I've fallen into the "emotional satisfaction" trap in years past too, buying gigantic, outrageously priced short runs of "biwire" speaker cable, all to the great satisfaction of the retailer who "just wanted me to get the best sound quality". Gotta love this hobby!

I will receive the 8801 on Tuesday "WoooHooo!" Personally, I will use XLR cables to my amplifiers simply because of the infinitely more robust connections. My middle age plus ears could never hear a difference based on cables. I have, however, had equipment bend and break due to RCA connections. Emotive 1t Series XPA amplifiers are notorious for wimpy RCA connections. Go look at the back of the new Series 2 stuff to see they re-engineered the RCA connects. Too many returns due t the old connections breaking off the back board.

So, it's XLR's for me!!!
post #9051 of 12802 Old 11-09-2013, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:

The 80.3 in 5.1 is fully balanced end to end. The Denon is fully balanced as are a few other high end models. The upcoming Emotiva design is too supposedly.

My Theater Room

Technical Editor/Writer

Sound and Vision
post #9052 of 12802 Old 11-09-2013, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I had the XSP-1 and currently have the XPR monos and XPA-2 second generation and not so much as a hint of any smell.

My Theater Room

Technical Editor/Writer

Sound and Vision
post #9053 of 12802 Old 11-09-2013, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:

(Hmmm, I thought that 'Emo Dan' already took you to the woodshed over that comment?).
And I've never heard this from anyone but you, and it was a 'one-off' condition I understood from that thread, but suit yourself! cool.gif

The Insane Pink Care Bear's Home Theater Set Up:

Marantz AV 8801 Processor, Emotiva XPR-5 Amplifier, Panasonic 65" ST30 Plasma, Yamaha BD-S2900 Blu-ray, Yamaha CDC-697 CD Player, Yamaha TT-500U Turntable, w/Signet TK5e, JBL ES100 Fronts, JBL LC2 Center, JBL ES30 Surrounds & 2 JBL ES250P Subwoofers
post #9054 of 12802 Old 11-09-2013, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post

The 80.3 in 5.1 is fully balanced end to end. The Denon is fully balanced as are a few other high end models. The upcoming Emotiva design is too supposedly.

Are any of the newer Denon's fully balanced?

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A21 + A21 + A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #9055 of 12802 Old 11-09-2013, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

The only Denon that is balanced is the AVP-1.
RichB likes this.

My Theater Room

Technical Editor/Writer

Sound and Vision
post #9056 of 12802 Old 11-09-2013, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

If your speakers have balanced inputs then yes, it makes some sense to connect them to something with balanced outputs. However, that doesn't mean the pre/pro needs to be fully differential/balanced circuitry throughout.

Just because there is a knob doesn't mean you should turn it.
post #9057 of 12802 Old 11-09-2013, 02:50 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Norseman View Post

(Hmmm, I thought that 'Emo Dan' already took you to the woodshed over that comment?).
And I've never heard this from anyone but you, and it was a 'one-off' condition I understood from that thread, but suit yourself! cool.gif

Well I came back just like the devil to hunt you tongue.gif
post #9058 of 12802 Old 11-09-2013, 02:52 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Integra is fully balanced, good
post #9059 of 12802 Old 11-09-2013, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

The XMC-1 is not fully balanced, Emo has stated that much. Is that the one you meant? They have discussed another model in the future, but I wouldn't worry about that until there's something even partially concrete.
post #9060 of 12802 Old 11-09-2013, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiky View Post

The XMC-1 is not fully balanced, Emo has stated that much. Is that the one you meant? They have discussed another model in the future, but I wouldn't worry about that until there's something even partially concrete.

From the Emotiva Site:
Quote:
The XMC-1 is also a highly refined pure analog preamplifier, with a fully balanced audio path. Its analog performance easily meets the needs of the most demanding two-channel playback system.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A21 + A21 + A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Ken Kreisel Dxd 12012 Subwoofer , Marantz Av8801 , Receivers Amplifiers , Audyssey , Integra
Gear in this thread - Av8801 by PriceGrabber.com