Forum Jump: 
post #9091 of 12343 Old 11-12-2013, 05:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

As you suggest ... HDMI for one ... SPDIF for the other.

Thanks.

I'll have to try that again, if that solves my problem I can live with that solution. Though I do loose the HDMI video feed from the AV8801 when listening to music via SPDIF, which is kinda annoying.

It makes me wonder why I cannot select to use the same HDMI input for two different sources, it is clearly a software limitation and a restriction that bugs me.

Source: HTPC
Pre: Marantz AV8801 + Pro Kit
PA: April Music Stello S200 (GD1 >130Hz), 2x ICEpower 1000ASP (GD1 <130Hz), 2x ICEpower ASP1000 (Subs), Marantz MM8077 (Rear+Center+Back)
Spkr: GD1 (Front), GDA125 (2xRear+1xBack), GDA Center (Center)
Subs: 4 towers, a total of 28 x 10" 25W ScanSpeak
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9092 of 12343 Old 11-12-2013, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMichael View Post

I had posted a few days ago about a popping sound from my front right tweeter when live broadcasts from ESPN goes to commercial. I recieved a new comcast box today and can change the ypbpr settings to native!1080p60 or others. It still pops on both native and 1080p60 and cannot get it to stop. I have it connected via HDMI and wondering what settings i could have it on?

I think ESPN source is causing the high frequiency pop. I tryed both optical and HDMI paths from Dish 722 receiver and can hear the pop on certain commercial transitions.

- Alex
post #9093 of 12343 Old 11-12-2013, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

That is a good question! I do not have it hooked up to listen to tv speakers. It seems as though this started a few weeks ago althought I have been boycotting ESPN. It was said previously that it was the sound of espn changing from 720p broadcast to 1080i commercials. It is really upsetting hearing this dang popping mad.gif I want to know if there is something that I can do to fix it. I also want to make sure its not my equipment.

I have Directv and my receiver has the ability to fix the video output to a specific resolution (i.e. 1080p, 720p etc) - can you check if your Comcast cable box has that option?

Reggie
Family Room:70" Sharp Elite/Marantz AV8801/MM8077/GoldenEar:Triton Ones (superseding Triton 2s), SuperCenter XL center channel, and SuperSat 60surrounds/Oppo BDP-105/Directv Genie/ HP Notebook
Basement: 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000/Marantz AV8003/Marantz MM8003/PSB Stratus Gold Front,Center,Left, Surrounds
post #9094 of 12343 Old 11-12-2013, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Has anyone had any luck programming the Marantz remote to control the Comcast X1 platform? I tried to program it through the learning process and the Marantz stated ok but still will not change the cable box channel. I unpaired the X1 remote so it should not be using RF. It's weird, the old grey comcast remote will also change the cable box channels on the X1 platform and I tried teaching the Marantz from that remote too but it still will not work....Thanks for info.

Marantz AV 8801 Processor
Sunfire Signature Amp 400x7
Oppo DV971H DVD Player
PS3
PS4
Klipsch RF-7
Klispch RS-7
Klipsch RC-7
Sharp Aquos 80; 3D Quattron
Power Sound Audio Triax Subwoofer
post #9095 of 12343 Old 11-13-2013, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

That is a good question! I do not have it hooked up to listen to tv speakers. It seems as though this started a few weeks ago althought I have been boycotting ESPN. It was said previously that it was the sound of espn changing from 720p broadcast to 1080i commercials. It is really upsetting hearing this dang popping mad.gif I want to know if there is something that I can do to fix it. I also want to make sure its not my equipment.

I have a DirecTV Genie and have noticed that 'popping' out of the rear surround closest to MLP when veiwing ESPN live games but it doesn't happen via the TV speakers. I tried setting the Genie to only output 1080P and another attemt at 1080i but that made no difference I still get that pop when listening via the 8801 and have never experienced it on other channels when they go to commercial so I just assume its a ESPN glitch, not worried about it and the 8801
post #9096 of 12343 Old 11-14-2013, 01:16 PM

Liked: 10
I have a Logitech Squeezebox Touch and it access a Logitech Media Server on the home network.

Can the 8801 bypass the need for the Touch, and access the LMS directly? Would I be able to control it with the Marantz remote app?

Thanks for your help.
Mark
post #9097 of 12343 Old 11-14-2013, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhyams View Post

I have a Logitech Squeezebox Touch and it access a Logitech Media Server on the home network.

Can the 8801 bypass the need for the Touch, and access the LMS directly? Would I be able to control it with the Marantz remote app?

Thanks for your help.
Mark

no: the Logitech server requires a PC for access

the 8801 can stream other services, such as Pandora, which does not require a PC to run as a server

I used to run a dedicated PC as a server for a Logitech Transporter but since they changed their service I went to Pandora One

please take the high road in every post
if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
post #9098 of 12343 Old 11-14-2013, 01:59 PM
Say No to Auto EQ

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked: 1040
You can run your pc and use Itunes or Window MC and the "network" source on your 8801 should find the library and play it.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #9099 of 12343 Old 11-14-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

the 8801 can stream other services, such as Pandora, which does not require a PC to run as a server

I used to run a dedicated PC as a server for a Logitech Transporter but since they changed their service I went to Pandora One

Sorry, I should've said that the LMS is on a dedicated computer running Vortexbox. Would it be able to find the LMS there?
post #9100 of 12343 Old 11-14-2013, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Quote:

Sorry, I should've said that the LMS is on a dedicated computer running Vortexbox. Would it be able to find the LMS there?

yes it should

if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
post #9101 of 12343 Old 11-15-2013, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Anyone else having a problem with the 8801 and the PS4? It doesn't seem to do the HDMI handshake right - audio is fine - video looks like crap - there are black bars on the top and bottom of the screen.

I tried the PS4 on a 1080p Panasonic plasma and it worked fine.

David
post #9102 of 12343 Old 11-15-2013, 06:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dschamis View Post

Anyone else having a problem with the 8801 and the PS4? It doesn't seem to do the HDMI handshake right - audio is fine - video looks like crap - there are black bars on the top and bottom of the screen.

David

Mine looks fine. Do you have video conversion off?

post #9103 of 12343 Old 11-15-2013, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookie b View Post

Mine looks fine. Do you have video conversion off?

I tried both - same results - is your's on or off?
post #9104 of 12343 Old 11-15-2013, 06:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

I tried both - same results - is your's on or off?

Mine is off. No problems, but I only used it for like an hour. I'd try a different HDMI cable to test. Then maybe a different input on the 8801. Just to see if one of those identifies the possible issue.

post #9105 of 12343 Old 11-15-2013, 07:21 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 2243 Post(s)
Liked: 1823
Quote:

David

On the PS3, setting the "Deep Color Output" setting to OFF generally resolves any video related issues. Likely the same applies with the PS4 as well.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Direct line 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #9106 of 12343 Old 11-15-2013, 08:50 PM

i used to have emotiva amps upa 1s i a/b with this crown xls 2500 what a difference i have triple 8 jtr speakers.
audiofan1 likes this.
post #9107 of 12343 Old 11-15-2013, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Just an update - finally ran Audyssey on the 8801 when the wife's out of the house smile.gif

Have to say the improvement with movie watching was very noticeable. The pans are even more seamless and much more cohesive.

But with music blurays, I still prefer using Pure Direct mode.
post #9108 of 12343 Old 11-16-2013, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof View Post

Just an update - finally ran Audyssey on the 8801 when the wife's out of the house smile.gif

Have to say the improvement with movie watching was very noticeable. The pans are even more seamless and much more cohesive.

But with music blurays, I still prefer using Pure Direct mode.

Glad your liking Audyssey. When using pure direct what source are you using and how are you connected?
post #9109 of 12343 Old 11-16-2013, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tocom View Post

i used to have emotiva amps upa 1s i a/b with this crown xls 2500 what a difference i have triple 8 jtr speakers.

Very nice! Those Crown's are class D I believe and you like them better than the Emotiva's?
post #9110 of 12343 Old 11-16-2013, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

I use HDMI from an Oppo95 to the AV8801.
post #9111 of 12343 Old 11-16-2013, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator

I have been PM'ing Keith on the Audyssey XT32 down sampling implementation in the 8801, and what processor might not down sample and what improvement could be expected if one were to upgrade: his reply is below: he allowed me to post it here: I told him I would put my money back in my pocket smile.gif

kbarnes701
Today at 7:21 am

Hey Mark.

In all units, so far as we can ascertain, other than NAD, Audyssey does down-rez the hi-rez music formats. One of the problems is that there is no visible indication of this on the units themselves, so they appear to be playing the hi-rez files unmolested but they are not - this is why we had to 'ask Audyssey' some time back, and why Kal did his own research into it. NAD do play the hi-rez formats with Audyssey but their units stop at XT and there is just no doubt that XT32 does a far superior job, across the entire frequency spectrum, than XT, so it would be a backward step, to me, to swap XT32 for XT in exchange for the dubious benefits of higher rez music formats.

Now the real question is, 'does it matter?'. The authoritative sources I have read here on AVS and the net in general all seem to be of the view that human beings are incapable of distinguishing audible differences between the hi-rez format and the more common format. I have read blind test reports that reinforce this. Nonetheless, there are those in the 'subjective audiophile' camps who swear they can hear differences. However, many of these people also swear they can hear differences between cables, DACs and modern SS amps that are not being clipped. Yet in all cases, when proper blind ABX tests are conducted, no audible differences can be reliably discerned (ie more than random chance would suggest - 50-50).

From everything I have read the 8801 is an absolute stonker (UK term - means 'utterly brilliant, amazing' etc) of a pre-pro and I can't see where you would go to upgrade it, especially if you want to retain XT32 and also pay a sensible amount of money. I have the Onkyo 5509 and although I have the means to swap it, there is just nothing currently available to make a swap worthwhile IMO. By all accounts the 8801 is at least as good.

If it were me, I’d look elsewhere for an upgrade path, other than electronics. If you have amps that can play to the SPLs you need, without clipping, then they are good to go. I usually recommend people look first at the room itself if possible - the room is by far the most important 'component' in terms of SQ and even relatively modest treatment brings worthwhile sonic improvements. Of course WAF can be a big factor in whether this is possible, unless one is fortunate enough to have a dedicated room. Next up are speakers and subs. An additional sub can work wonders, as can an upgrade to a really high quality sub. I was just staggered when I swapped my dual SVS PC12 subs for dual Submersives - the difference is amazing.

Generally, when someone tells me they have a pressing case of upgradeitis, I ask what it is they are dissatisfied with in their present setup? This usually helps pin down the root cause of their issues. You often see people changing gear time after time, never really finding satisfaction and usually, IME, the real problem lies with the room or the speakers/subs. Usually the room. Even pretty modest modern gear can sound staggeringly good in the right room.

IDK if this helps or not. Bottom line: I think you have a pre-pro that many would give their right arm for and I am as close to certainty that I can be that you would not gain any real benefit from 'upgrading' it. By 'real' I mean that if you conducted an unbiased, blind, level matched comparison, you would not be able to hear a genuine difference between it and any other decent modern unit (all DSPs etc disengaged or set the same).

Cheers,

Keith

post #9112 of 12343 Old 11-16-2013, 07:29 AM

Quote:

I use HDMI from an Oppo95 to the AV8801.
Have you tried the balanced analog connections from the Oppo 95 to the AV8801? I'm curious how the DACs of thethe two units compare.
post #9113 of 12343 Old 11-16-2013, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes and the NAD is not XT32 it's MultEQ XT, so I'm assuming it's taking less DSP power to allow the high res to pass through it. I'd still like to hear it and I'm predicting more AVR's in the future will have the muscle to let it pass, and it looks good on paper wink.gif The jury is still out on the SQ quality and even though it may not be audible I'd like to listen for myself. All this said I will not be trading my 8801 anytime soon, I've found what I was looking for smile.gif
Just my opinions.
post #9114 of 12343 Old 11-16-2013, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Have you tried the balanced analog connections from the Oppo 95 to the AV8801? I'm curious how the DACs of thethe two units compare.

I haven't. The Oppo 95 balanced output goes to my stereo preamp. I guess I should get around to using the analog 7.1 to the AV8801 at some point but my cabling is already very messy biggrin.gif
post #9115 of 12343 Old 11-16-2013, 07:49 AM

Quote:

I haven't. The Oppo 95 balanced output goes to my stereo preamp. I guess I should get around to using the analog 7.1 to the AV8801 at some point but my cabling is already very messy biggrin.gif

Cool. I'm curious what stereo pre you have. Must have HT bypass? I am considering the 8801 for the possibility that it could replace my hybrid 2-channel/HT setup, and I could get rid of my stereo integrated amp with HT bypass, and the 8801 would serve as a pre for everything.
post #9116 of 12343 Old 11-16-2013, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter
exm
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:

I have been PM'ing Keith on the Audyssey XT32 down sampling implementation in the 8801, and what processor might not down sample and what improvement could be expected if one were to upgrade: his reply is below: he allowed me to post it here: I told him I would put my money back in my pocket smile.gif

kbarnes701
Today at 7:21 am

Hey Mark.

In all units, so far as we can ascertain, other than NAD, Audyssey does down-rez the hi-rez music formats. One of the problems is that there is no visible indication of this on the units themselves, so they appear to be playing the hi-rez files unmolested but they are not - this is why we had to 'ask Audyssey' some time back, and why Kal did his own research into it. NAD do play the hi-rez formats with Audyssey but their units stop at XT and there is just no doubt that XT32 does a far superior job, across the entire frequency spectrum, than XT, so it would be a backward step, to me, to swap XT32 for XT in exchange for the dubious benefits of higher rez music formats.

Now the real question is, 'does it matter?'. The authoritative sources I have read here on AVS and the net in general all seem to be of the view that human beings are incapable of distinguishing audible differences between the hi-rez format and the more common format. I have read blind test reports that reinforce this. Nonetheless, there are those in the 'subjective audiophile' camps who swear they can hear differences. However, many of these people also swear they can hear differences between cables, DACs and modern SS amps that are not being clipped. Yet in all cases, when proper blind ABX tests are conducted, no audible differences can be reliably discerned (ie more than random chance would suggest - 50-50).

From everything I have read the 8801 is an absolute stonker (UK term - means 'utterly brilliant, amazing' etc) of a pre-pro and I can't see where you would go to upgrade it, especially if you want to retain XT32 and also pay a sensible amount of money. I have the Onkyo 5509 and although I have the means to swap it, there is just nothing currently available to make a swap worthwhile IMO. By all accounts the 8801 is at least as good.

If it were me, I’d look elsewhere for an upgrade path, other than electronics. If you have amps that can play to the SPLs you need, without clipping, then they are good to go. I usually recommend people look first at the room itself if possible - the room is by far the most important 'component' in terms of SQ and even relatively modest treatment brings worthwhile sonic improvements. Of course WAF can be a big factor in whether this is possible, unless one is fortunate enough to have a dedicated room. Next up are speakers and subs. An additional sub can work wonders, as can an upgrade to a really high quality sub. I was just staggered when I swapped my dual SVS PC12 subs for dual Submersives - the difference is amazing.

Generally, when someone tells me they have a pressing case of upgradeitis, I ask what it is they are dissatisfied with in their present setup? This usually helps pin down the root cause of their issues. You often see people changing gear time after time, never really finding satisfaction and usually, IME, the real problem lies with the room or the speakers/subs. Usually the room. Even pretty modest modern gear can sound staggeringly good in the right room.

IDK if this helps or not. Bottom line: I think you have a pre-pro that many would give their right arm for and I am as close to certainty that I can be that you would not gain any real benefit from 'upgrading' it. By 'real' I mean that if you conducted an unbiased, blind, level matched comparison, you would not be able to hear a genuine difference between it and any other decent modern unit (all DSPs etc disengaged or set the same).

Cheers,

Keith

+1

Thanks for the post!
post #9117 of 12343 Old 11-16-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

Very nice! Those Crown's are class D I believe and you like them better than the Emotiva's?

yes they are class d and the crowns for my taste are better than the emos. for me the emotiva are a little harsh in the upper freq. and the crowns are better.
post #9118 of 12343 Old 11-16-2013, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

yes they are class d and the crowns for my taste are better than the emos. for me the emotiva are a little harsh in the upper freq. and the crowns are better.

I've always heard the Crowns sound good and there are quite a few on this thread alone using pro amps to power their entire HT.
post #9119 of 12343 Old 11-16-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

I've always heard the Crowns sound good and there are quite a few on this thread alone using pro amps to power their entire HT.
look at this review http://www.andrew-robinson-online.com/review-crown-xls-drivecore-series-amplifier/
post #9120 of 12343 Old 11-16-2013, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:

I tried the UPA1s but preferred my Onkyo TX-NR1008's internal amps for two channel. For HT there was an improvement. I did not note harshness but I put it down to an inadequate power supply - the UPA1 s were later discontinued. Later with different speakers I tried my now Bryston 4Bsst2 using the 1008 as the pre and felt some gain (less harsh actually) but did not spend a lot of time or effort on back and forth.

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Ayre K-5xeMP, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Ken Kreisel Dxd 12012 Subwoofer , Marantz Av8801 , Receivers Amplifiers , Audyssey , Integra
Gear in this thread - Av8801 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page