Forum Jump: 

post #9721 of 12219 Old 01-01-2014, 07:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post

My first impression and a few questions.

The sound stage is a lot more wilder and the front to back seem to be as one.
Also a lot of details, you could swear that you were there in the movie Byzantium (not my type of movie but the sound was fantastic),there is a sceen playing the piano and you could swear it was the real thing, also a scene in a cave with bats flying around and you could not tell wishe speakers it was coming from.
On Elysium, I did find the bass very heavy, the front seem to strugle for a couple of scenes.

So I went back to change the setting after the movie and to my surprise, the main were back to large and the subs back to reference and not 1.5db hot like I tought I set them-up.
I think I will try to listen to reference for a while since I did found both movies to have lots of bass (and I tought, I use to be a bass head eek.gif ).

I will have to play with it as how to figure out how to set the main to 80hz.

Also, this one disturbe me quit a bit!

I went to open the front panel to make sure everything was in 7.2 and by doing so I got a big static electricity discharge on the front panel (could be because my room has carpet but never happen to any previous unit that I owned).
The sound went dead and would not return untill I turn the AV8801 off and back on.
I don't think this is normal (a short maybe) and maybe the unit lost it's memory. If it is the case, I might have to re-run Audyssey!?
The setting still show Audyssey XT32 and EQ as On.

This baffle me as why the unit went in shut-down mode for the sound but the middle display and the power light were still on.

Any idea or theories as why the sound went dead?

Ray
For places that have cold dry climates in the winter (like those you and I live in!), what I do is keep something metal and grounded near the equipment that I will always touch BEFORE I touch any of the components. This discharges any static build up I'm 'carrying along' with me.
It's a simple thing, but it works.
Hope your gear is okay, and unless it was a huge 'zap' I think you're probably good to go...(?).
darthray likes this.

The Insane Pink Care Bear's Home Theater Set Up:

Marantz AV 8801 Processor, Emotiva XPR-5 Amplifier, Panasonic 65" ST30 Plasma, Yamaha BD-S2900 Blu-ray, Yamaha CDC-697 CD Player, Yamaha TT-500U Turntable, w/Signet TK5e, JBL ES100 Fronts, JBL LC2 Center, JBL ES30 Surrounds & 2 JBL ES250P Subwoofers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9722 of 12219 Old 01-01-2014, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Norseman View Post

Quote:

My first impression and a few questions.

The sound stage is a lot more wilder and the front to back seem to be as one.
Also a lot of details, you could swear that you were there in the movie Byzantium (not my type of movie but the sound was fantastic),there is a sceen playing the piano and you could swear it was the real thing, also a scene in a cave with bats flying around and you could not tell wishe speakers it was coming from.
On Elysium, I did find the bass very heavy, the front seem to strugle for a couple of scenes.

So I went back to change the setting after the movie and to my surprise, the main were back to large and the subs back to reference and not 1.5db hot like I tought I set them-up.
I think I will try to listen to reference for a while since I did found both movies to have lots of bass (and I tought, I use to be a bass head eek.gif ).

I will have to play with it as how to figure out how to set the main to 80hz.

Also, this one disturbe me quit a bit!

I went to open the front panel to make sure everything was in 7.2 and by doing so I got a big static electricity discharge on the front panel (could be because my room has carpet but never happen to any previous unit that I owned).
The sound went dead and would not return untill I turn the AV8801 off and back on.
I don't think this is normal (a short maybe) and maybe the unit lost it's memory. If it is the case, I might have to re-run Audyssey!?
The setting still show Audyssey XT32 and EQ as On.

This baffle me as why the unit went in shut-down mode for the sound but the middle display and the power light were still on.

Any idea or theories as why the sound went dead?

Ray
For places that have cold dry climates in the winter (like those you and I live in!), what I do is keep something metal and grounded near the equipment that I will always touch BEFORE I touch any of the components. This discharges any static build up I'm 'carrying along' with me.
Hope your gear is okay, and unless it was a huge 'zap' I think you're probably good to go...(?).

Thanks

I did reset the crossover setting and the main to small.
Turn off the AV8801 and back on, so far so good.
But did the Audyssey retain it's memory?

I sure hope so.

Ray

Birthdays are good for you
The more you have
The longer you live
post #9723 of 12219 Old 01-01-2014, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 433
A static discharge can seriously damage solid-state circuits in random ways. I'd suggest doing a full return-to-factory-settings reset and starting over again. There's no way to know what it might have changed.

Also, you should seriously consider going to a local electronics supply store (or ordering online) an anti-static mat that you can ground and place where you can touch it before you touch any of your electronics.
darthray and Mad Norseman like this.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
post #9724 of 12219 Old 01-01-2014, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Question for the forum: I was watching Don Jon last night and during a club scene I heard my right rear Martin Logan motion 15 distorted during the low bass moments. I switched the left and right and the same thing happened. I have the Crossover set at 80Hz for the rears and they are supposed to be rated to 60Hz. I changed the crossover on the Pre-pro (Marantz 8801) to 100Hz and it did not distort. I don't want to have my crossover set at 100Hz while my center is 80Hz and fronts are full range. Do you think it is something wrong with the woofers on the speakers? Any other ideas? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
Marantz AV8801 pre-pro / MM8077 amp
Martin Logan Motion 50XT Center
Martin Logan Motion 60XT Fronts/40 Rears
REL R-528 SE (2)
Oppo BDP-103D/Playstation 4/Furman ELITE-20 PF i
post #9725 of 12219 Old 01-01-2014, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

A static discharge can seriously damage solid-state circuits in random ways. I'd suggest doing a full return-to-factory-settings reset and starting over again. There's no way to know what it might have changed.

Also, you should seriously consider going to a local electronics supply store (or ordering online) an anti-static mat that you can ground and place where you can touch it before you touch any of your electronics.

Thanks for the sugestions and will follow them.

Funny thing, it is the first time that it did happen to me in 8 years.
It sucks!

Ray

The more you have
The longer you live
post #9726 of 12219 Old 01-01-2014, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I agree.

FWIW, an anti-static mat has the advantage that it has fairly high resistance, so you won't get zapped yourself when you ground yourself to it, unlike when you touch some grounded metal.

Selden

post #9727 of 12219 Old 01-01-2014, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMichael View Post

Question for the forum: I was watching Don Jon last night and during a club scene I heard my right rear Martin Logan motion 15 distorted during the low bass moments. I switched the left and right and the same thing happened. I have the Crossover set at 80Hz for the rears and they are supposed to be rated to 60Hz. I changed the crossover on the Pre-pro (Marantz 8801) to 100Hz and it did not distort. I don't want to have my crossover set at 100Hz while my center is 80Hz and fronts are full range. Do you think it is something wrong with the woofers on the speakers? Any other ideas? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Do I also have to change the crossover settings on the OPPO BDP?

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
REL R-528 SE (2)
post #9728 of 12219 Old 01-01-2014, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:

On the subject of surrounds, unless your surrounds have truly huge drivers, they will NOT be able to playback 80hz at anywhere near reference volumes. That is only practical if you have mains all the way around.

I set my surrounds at 100-120hz and i hear way less distracting rattling, etc from them being overdriven at high volumes.

A truly reference volume theater requires some serious speakers all around which 90% of people simply don't care to spend that much money on. I prefer most of my money on great mains and imperfect surround to some degree.

Blazar!
post #9729 of 12219 Old 01-01-2014, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post

On the subject of surrounds, unless your surrounds have truly huge drivers, they will NOT be able to playback 80hz at anywhere near reference volumes. That is only practical if you have mains all the way around.

I set my surrounds at 100-120hz and i hear way less distracting rattling, etc from them being overdriven at high volumes.

A truly reference volume theater requires some serious speakers all around which 90% of people simply don't care to spend that much money on. I prefer most of my money on great mains and imperfect surround to some degree.

Thank you for your input! I am considering either changing the crossover to 100hz or get Motion 20 (full range) for the rears and keep the 15s for 7.1!!!

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
REL R-528 SE (2)
post #9730 of 12219 Old 01-01-2014, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

I agree.

FWIW, an anti-static mat has the advantage that it has fairly high resistance, so you won't get zapped yourself when you ground yourself to it, unlike when you touch some grounded metal.

I will seriously look into your advices.

In your honest opinion, do you you think (you seem to have lots knowledge about electronic) I did some damage to this unit or just a lost of memory?

I have waited a long time in my life to own such a piece and to return it from Canada to the US would be a real pain.
Everythings sounded good when the sound came back on for the exeption of the main strugeling on the movie Elysium at a couple sceens.

Ray

The more you have
The longer you live
post #9731 of 12219 Old 01-01-2014, 11:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:

Thank you for your input! I am considering either changing the crossover to 100hz or get Motion 20 (full range) for the rears and keep the 15s for 7.1!!!

For surrounds i find the midrange is a very important place for the speakers to be very efficient. Ribbon tweeter speakers impress me, line arrays arrangements are good for in wall speakers, and horns speakers are also very efficient options.

To a degree matching all the speakers midrange and tweeters all around is a good idea but my surrounds are high quality but unmatched with mains/centers and they do sound great (except in the 100hz and below where i hear some sort of rattling of the in-wall drivers from time to time).

If i had it all to do over again, i would have bought really huge in-wall speakers for all the surrounds also. I have a very permanent home theater setup that is hard to modify easily now so this can't be done.

Even my mains, i wish i went with speakers that extended lower at reference levels. I think a lot of speakers are not outstanding at the 40-80hz range despite their stated range.

I crossed over my subs at 100hz for my main speakers but i have huge subs that are sitting right at my main speaker locations which happened to luckily be the sweet spot for them. With the subs so close, localization of sound at 40hz-100hz was not really a problem.
DrMichael likes this.

Blazar!
post #9732 of 12219 Old 01-02-2014, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I agree.

In your honest opinion, do you you think (you seem to have lots knowledge about electronic) I did some damage to this unit or just a lost of memory?

I have waited a long time in my life to own such a piece and to return it from Canada to the US would be a real pain.
Everythings sounded good when the sound came back on for the exeption of the main strugeling on the movie Elysium at a couple sceens.

Ray

I'm sorry, but there's no way to know if it was damaged unless it fails in some way. From what you say, it seems it's working fine. Elisium does have some loud scenes in it! The best way to be able to play movies loudly is to get more efficient speakers.

Selden

post #9733 of 12219 Old 01-02-2014, 10:22 AM

Liked: 100
Quote:

An excellent 'rule of thumb' I've seen recommended more than a few times now is to set your speaker's crossovers about 30Hz ABOVE the point at which they're effectively rated down to at -3db.
For example, my surrounds are JBL ES30s (3 way, w/6" woofers - that I call "My little Goliaths!") that are rated to be good down to 50Hz at -3db. So I have them set to a crossover of 80Hz.
My fronts are JBL ES100s rated down to 32Hz at -3db, and I have them crossed over at 60Hz.
My center is a JBL LC2 rated down to 50Hz, so I've got that crossed over at 80Hz also.
This guide really seems to work, because I don't get distortion even at very high sound pressure levels. (It also doesn't hurt to feed them with 400 watts per channel to avoid clipping).

So try the 30Hz rule and see if that does it for you. If that point is at 100Hz for the surrounds, then so be it!
Good luck.
darthray and DrMichael like this.

The Insane Pink Care Bear's Home Theater Set Up:

Marantz AV 8801 Processor, Emotiva XPR-5 Amplifier, Panasonic 65" ST30 Plasma, Yamaha BD-S2900 Blu-ray, Yamaha CDC-697 CD Player, Yamaha TT-500U Turntable, w/Signet TK5e, JBL ES100 Fronts, JBL LC2 Center, JBL ES30 Surrounds & 2 JBL ES250P Subwoofers
post #9734 of 12219 Old 01-02-2014, 10:32 AM
Say No to Auto EQ

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Norseman View Post

I have this same issue, and the weather has been pretty dry lately to say the least. I only see this issue in the winter and I regularly ground myself on the rack shelf before I touch the electronics but it really does happen quite often in my theater. The floor pad is a definite suggestion that should be followed. I had my audio go out once before on a prior unit from a static shock, but after a reset it chugged right along, for quite some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post

Does a High Efficiency 10" coaxial count? Anechoic I am good to a little under 80hz with an f3 closer to 70, and have the capability to play well above reference, and safely.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #9735 of 12219 Old 01-02-2014, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Count me in as another proud owner of an AV8801. I have had it running for less than a week but I am very pleased so far. I am going to spend Saturday dialing things in. I was curious if there is a list of tips and tricks that has been compiled. 9,700+ posts is a little daunting. I look forward to giving my feedback after Saturday.

The Moving Pictures Theater Construction Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1462881/th...ruction-thread

Houston GTG - Summer 2014
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/61-are...l#post26079610
post #9736 of 12219 Old 01-02-2014, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I agree.

Ray

I'm sorry, but there's no way to know if it was damaged unless it fails in some way. From what you say, it seems it's working fine. Elisium does have some loud scenes in it! The best way to be able to play movies loudly is to get more efficient speakers.

No need to be sorry.
I think everything is fine and the Marantz just went in protection mode, since I re-check all the peremiter and all of them were in order and so were the EQ graphs.

I think for my speakers strugling for couple scene it was my fault since I did not set at 80hz and were at 40 (I must have been in the wrong menu).
Sub wise, I'm good 2 PB13 Ultra, they had no problem at all (and they were actualy 1.5db hot for each), the movie was just too bass heavy in my opinion.

As for the static issue, I will look at those electrostatic map and also touch something with metal as mention by Mad Norseman.
I will also contact a friend of mine who is an Electronic Enginneer working on radars with equipment that are also have copper cases.
I just wonder since the Marantz has only 2 prongs, if putting a ground wire on the case by using one of the screw and grounding it to earth would solve the problem.

Thanks again for the responses.

Ray

The more you have
The longer you live
post #9737 of 12219 Old 01-02-2014, 02:21 PM

Liked: 10
Hello all, great post here.

I'm very interested in the AV8801, and it may soon replace my Parasound C1 processor. The C1 is the best sounding processor that I have had so far. I have been using front height speakers ever since Yamaha introduced them in their receivers years ago. The Parasound processor has 4 extra channels that you can config. to play what you desire. I have them set up for front and rear height speakers. This was the main reason that I went with the C1.

I down loaded the 8801 manual and see that you can only pick front height, or the width channels, not both at the same time. That's disappointing. Maybe it shouldn't state that it is a 11.2 processor, when it is actually a 9.2.
The other thing that may keep me from buying the 8801 is that the manual speaker crossover settings are very limited. The manual states that they are 40Hz / 60Hz / 80Hz / 90Hz / and up. I don't mean to bore you with what equipment I have in my system, but I have 6 of the same and 4 slightly smaller large speakers in my system. I'm one of those believers that as a minimum your fronts and center speakers must be the same. I just carried that school of thought around the room. What worries me now is that I crossover 6 of my speakers at 45Hz, and 4 of them at 60Hz. I have spent many hours over the years listening to and measuring the difference between a 40, 45, and 50Hz setting for my mains, center, surrounds, and 1 back speaker. A 45Hz crossover point always wins out. When I go to a 40Hz crossover I loose most of the punch that my speakers produce better then the sub. When I go to a 50Hz crossover the sub isn't as clean sounding as the speakers.

I never had Audyssey in my system, but have read many reviews where people have tried it, and then picked the manual settings instead. Does Audyssey offer more crossover setting then the manual ones? Can you change the settings in Audyssey, and still use it, or is it use it or don't use it? I guess I better start reading up on Audyssey.

Thanks for reading.
post #9738 of 12219 Old 01-02-2014, 03:02 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1436 Post(s)
Liked: 1608
^^
Although the manual can be confusing in that it says "Front Height or Front Wide" in several places, note that the AV8801 is capable of full 11.2 processing as noted by the Audyssey DSX setting options below ...

And regardless of whether you use Audyssey or not, the crossover settings remain the same ... ie. 40Hz, 60Hz, etc so there is no way to select 45Hz if that is a requirement. And regarding reviews, although some forum owners have noted they prefer critical music listening with no Audyssey, the vast majority likely use Audyssey for both movie and music listening.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #9739 of 12219 Old 01-02-2014, 04:24 PM

Liked: 10
I just returned my first 8801 because when I powered it on I never got sound from my Blu-Ray (Oppo), satellite (DirecTv) or HTPC (Win 7, JRiver). Video, yes, a second of audio, maybe, but silence afterwards. My work around was to power-up zone 2, power down zone 1 and then power-up zone 1. At that point HDMI hand shaking would process (again) and audio would kick in. Like I said, I took it back. BTW, all this stuff worked just fine with my 4311. Now on my second 8801, I have the same results. For grins I swapped my HDMI cables, no help. The zone power down, back up PITA works on the second unit too. Did I get two bad units (bad HDMI board?), am I fighting some other bug, or ???? BTW, both units are on the most recent firmware.

Snooze / Larry
post #9740 of 12219 Old 01-02-2014, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hey all - I've had my 8801 for a few months now and have loved every minute of it...until this evening that is :P

Its late (i.e. too late to call Marantz), so I thought I'd throw my issue out there in case anyone has any ideas...but I don't think its looking good...

I powered up my system this evening and the left front speaker let out this loud static "white noise" sound. After a few seconds the level of the sound decreased and I could barely hear it, so I chalked it up to some random glitch. Moving on, I got frisky and decided tonight was a good night to mess around with the HTPC. I reloaded Windows and was in the sound configuration settings from control panel, running the test tones on all the speakers, which starts with the front left, and lo and behold it sounded like absolute crap. The other 6 speakers and sub sounded perfectly fine, but the front left sounded almost like a blown speaker. It was really flat and scratchy and significantly quieter than the rest.

So, I did some diagnostics...swapped the XLR cable from Front Left to Front Right, re-ran the test tones and the left speaker sounded fine now (plugged into the right channel on AVR) and the right speaker now sounded like the blown one (plugged into the left channel on AVR). So that at least tells me the speakers are fine (phew). Then I thought well maybe its the left channel's XLR output, so I ran and grabbed an RCA cable to try that output. Same thing. In a last ditch effort before calling it a night and coming to post here, I did a full micro-processor reset. As you can guess, since you are reading this, that didn't work either...the left channel is still all flat and scratchy and quiet.

So now I'm out of diagnostic ideas and left with wondering what the hell happened to the 8801's front left channel. Has anyone else every experienced something like this and have any suggestions (other than call Marantz, which is on my To-Do list for tomorrow :P)
post #9741 of 12219 Old 01-02-2014, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterBridge86 View Post

Hey all - I've had my 8801 for a few months now and have loved every minute of it...until this evening that is :P

Its late (i.e. too late to call Marantz), so I thought I'd throw my issue out there in case anyone has any ideas...but I don't think its looking good...

I powered up my system this evening and the left front speaker let out this loud static "white noise" sound. After a few seconds the level of the sound decreased and I could barely hear it, so I chalked it up to some random glitch. Moving on, I got frisky and decided tonight was a good night to mess around with the HTPC. I reloaded Windows and was in the sound configuration settings from control panel, running the test tones on all the speakers, which starts with the front left, and lo and behold it sounded like absolute crap. The other 6 speakers and sub sounded perfectly fine, but the front left sounded almost like a blown speaker. It was really flat and scratchy and significantly quieter than the rest.

So, I did some diagnostics...swapped the XLR cable from Front Left to Front Right, re-ran the test tones and the left speaker sounded fine now (plugged into the right channel on AVR) and the right speaker now sounded like the blown one (plugged into the left channel on AVR). So that at least tells me the speakers are fine (phew). Then I thought well maybe its the left channel's XLR output, so I ran and grabbed an RCA cable to try that output. Same thing. In a last ditch effort before calling it a night and coming to post here, I did a full micro-processor reset. As you can guess, since you are reading this, that didn't work either...the left channel is still all flat and scratchy and quiet.

So now I'm out of diagnostic ideas and left with wondering what the hell happened to the 8801's front left channel. Has anyone else every experienced something like this and have any suggestions (other than call Marantz, which is on my To-Do list for tomorrow :P)

Try shutting off all zones except the main on the front panel and while the source is playing (blu or tv) at a reasonable volume, try several power down and power ups and see if the channel kicks in properly.
post #9742 of 12219 Old 01-03-2014, 12:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Just wondering what you guys set the LPF (low pass filter) at?

Audyssey set mine at 120hz, it seem high to me since all my speakers are set to 80 (small) + subs.
So I changed it to 100 (logic tell me 80, so I went 50/50 from my logic and Audyssey).

Also I cannot get hold of my friend for now to ask for is advise so below is a cut and paste (with some edit to save time for people to go back in this thread) just in case someone may have some knowledge about that.

As for the static issue (lost sound after getting a static electricity zap while trying to open the front panel [the unit was still on and the sound returned after I turn the unit off and back on]),
I will look at those electrostatic map and also touch something with metal as mention by Mad Norseman.

I will also contact a friend of mine who is an Electronic Enginneer working on radars with equipment that also have copper cases.
I just wonder since the Marantz has only 2 prongs, if putting a ground wire on the case by using one of the screw and grounding it to earth (the equipment is in-wall and the back of the unit is in the utility room where I have easy access to a groud earth) would solve the problem.

Ray

The more you have
The longer you live
post #9743 of 12219 Old 01-03-2014, 12:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 483
Quote:

Audyssey set mine at 120hz, it seem high to me since all my speakers are set to 80 (small) + subs.
So I changed it to 100 (logic tell me 80, so I went 50/50 from my logic and Audyssey).

Also I cannot get hold of my friend for now to ask for is advise so below is a cut and paste (with some edit to save time for people to go back in this thread) just in case someone may have some knowledge about that.

As for the static issue (lost sound after getting a static electricity zap while trying to open the front panel [the unit was still on and the sound returned after I turn the unit off and back on]),
I will look at those electrostatic map and also touch something with metal as mention by Mad Norseman.

I will also contact a friend of mine who is an Electronic Enginneer working on radars with equipment that also have copper cases.
I just wonder since the Marantz has only 2 prongs, if putting a ground wire on the case by using one of the screw and grounding it to earth (the equipment is in-wall and the back of the unit is in the utility room where I have easy access to a groud earth) would solve the problem.

Ray

I use 80hz on the LPF, keep in mind its only relevant for LFE or .1 content. I did try 90/100 and 120 but found the 80hz worked the best with 90 being a close second. Listen and decide for yourself smile.gif
darthray likes this.
post #9744 of 12219 Old 01-03-2014, 01:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

Quote:

Ray

I use 80hz on the LPF, keep in mind its only relevant for LFE or .1 content. I did try 90/100 and 120 but found the 80hz worked the best with 90 being a close second. Listen and decide for yourself smile.gif

I guess this is one vote for logic at 80hz since the the speakers are cross at 80.
I went 100 because Audyssey set mine at 120, so I went half way (the instruction suggest going higher than the crossover point, but no explaination why).
So 2 for logic (you and I) unless someone can explain why higher is better.

Ray

The more you have
The longer you live
post #9745 of 12219 Old 01-03-2014, 02:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:

Ray

Are we talking about the LPF for LFE? I'd just leave it at 120hz. The LPF deals with the LFE channel while your speaker cross overs deal with the specific channel. With that being said, some folks have tried 80hz with the LPF and found it to their liking. Just remember if you set it below 120hz than you could possibly be cutting off some content in the LFE. Whether this is substantial content, beats me
darthray likes this.

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #9746 of 12219 Old 01-03-2014, 02:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

Quote:

Ray

Are we talking about the LPF for LFE? I'd just leave it at 120hz. The LPF deals with the LFE channel while your speaker cross overs deal with the specific channel. With that being said, some folks have tried 80hz with the LPF and found it to their liking. Just remember if you set it below 120hz than you could possibly be cutting off some content in the LFE. Whether this is substantial content, beats me

Thanks

Are we talking about the LPF for LFE? Yes
I guess that I got to try a few different versions and see what is best for my liking.

Ray

The more you have
The longer you live
post #9747 of 12219 Old 01-03-2014, 04:25 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
I just wonder since the Marantz has only 2 prongs, if putting a ground wire on the case by using one of the screw and grounding it to earth would solve the problem.

I am also looking for a way to ground the Marantz to earth, and I find it very strange that the top-end model doesn't support earthing.

It is very very very seldom that I see quality hifi without a 3-prong mains connector here in Denmark.

Source: HTPC
Pre: Marantz AV8801 + Pro Kit
PA: April Music Stello S200 (GD1 >130Hz), 2x ICEpower 1000ASP (GD1 <130Hz), 2x ICEpower ASP1000 (Subs), Marantz MM8077 (Rear+Center+Back)
Spkr: GD1 (Front), GDA125 (2xRear+1xBack), GDA Center (Center)
Subs: 4 towers, a total of 28 x 10" 25W ScanSpeak
post #9748 of 12219 Old 01-03-2014, 04:33 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

My understanding is different, but I could be mistaken.

If the LPF for the LFE channel is set lower than 120Hz, nothing is cut off, but.. The LFE channel content above the LPF is routed to the fronts instead of to the LFE channel.

Source: HTPC
Pre: Marantz AV8801 + Pro Kit
PA: April Music Stello S200 (GD1 >130Hz), 2x ICEpower 1000ASP (GD1 <130Hz), 2x ICEpower ASP1000 (Subs), Marantz MM8077 (Rear+Center+Back)
Spkr: GD1 (Front), GDA125 (2xRear+1xBack), GDA Center (Center)
Subs: 4 towers, a total of 28 x 10" 25W ScanSpeak
post #9749 of 12219 Old 01-03-2014, 04:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjazdk View Post

My understanding is different, but I could be mistaken.

If the LPF for the LFE channel is set lower than 120Hz, nothing is cut off, but.. The LFE channel content above the LPF is routed to the fronts instead of to the LFE channel.

I am not aware of the LPF for the LFE doing that. Maybe a mix up of LFE + Main setting?

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #9750 of 12219 Old 01-03-2014, 04:57 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1436 Post(s)
Liked: 1608
Quote:

I guess this is one vote for logic at 80hz since the the speakers are cross at 80.
I went 100 because Audyssey set mine at 120, so I went half way (the instruction suggest going higher than the crossover point, but no explaination why).
So 2 for logic (you and I) unless someone can explain why higher is better.

Ray

All Denon and Marantz AVRs and pre-pros have factory defaulted the LPF for LFE to 120Hz for several years now .... nothing to do with Audyssey. In order to allow the full LFE signal to pass to the sub, leave it at the factory setting of 120Hz.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Ken Kreisel Dxd 12012 Subwoofer , Marantz Av8801 , Receivers Amplifiers , Audyssey , Integra
Gear in this thread - Av8801 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page