post #9991 of 12214 Old 01-11-2014, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

I tell you what if they do decide to offer a pre of sorts with room correction on board I'm in wink.gif they are one company I will watch for the foreseeable future. What they rekindled ( or reenergized it) in me and for the market in general upon gambling and sold off a Pioneer 51Fd bluray player and Denon 5900 for a 95 I was not only eating crow but loving every last bit of it biggrin.gif These guys have their ear to the ground and as long as they follow the mantra they are following they will be extremely successful and the new household name and you can bet on that.

+1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9992 of 12214 Old 01-11-2014, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 63
For the hiss: if you're using a high gain amp with sensitive inputs and also using highly efficient speakers, hiss is normal with no padding circuits inbetween the AV8801 and the amp. If you haven't already, pad the XLR cables so Audyssey sets the efficient speakers close to 0 (assuming the speaker levels are -12dB now). I had hiss, but then I padded my XLR cables using a "U" pad: http://www.uneeda-audio.com/pads/. The U pad is nothing more than a balanced voltage divider. To be clear, you really should hear no hiss at the listening positions after setting things up and using padding circuits as necessary. I now hear no hiss at all at the MLP. With my ear on the horn of my 105dB/W speakers, I can hear only a slight hiss. Now, if you're hearing a hum, that's different. You'll have to start looking for ground loops. There's a lot of threads on that and common things to watch out for.

I wouldn't consider this a problem with the unit. Padding is often necessary when you have highly efficient speakers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post

-improve the hum/hiss while this thing is idle... the 8801's performance in this regard is pretty weak compared to even the integra 80.3. Not sure if this is a result of a poor transformer, bad op-amps, bad shielding, or what... but it is not sane for this to be a problem in a $3000+ retail unit in the 21st century.

Premise, a FREE home automation program. Open-source Z-Wave Premise Module found here.
post #9993 of 12214 Old 01-11-2014, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by etc6849 View Post

For the hiss: if you're using a high gain amp with sensitive inputs and also using highly efficient speakers, hiss is normal with no padding circuits inbetween the AV8801 and the amp. If you haven't already, pad the XLR cables so Audyssey sets the efficient speakers close to 0 (assuming the speaker levels are -12dB now). I had hiss, but then I padded my XLR cables using a "U" pad: http://www.uneeda-audio.com/pads/. The U pad is nothing more than a balanced voltage divider. To be clear, you really should hear no hiss at the listening positions after setting things up and using padding circuits as necessary. I now hear no hiss at all at the MLP. With my ear on the horn of my 105dB/W speakers, I can hear only a slight hiss. Now, if you're hearing a hum, that's different. You'll have to start looking for ground loops. There's a lot of threads on that and common things to watch out for.

I wouldn't consider this a problem with the unit. Padding is often necessary when you have highly efficient speakers.

I am using -10db xlr pads right now and audyssey has my mains set at 0db gain adjustment. I need to check if mine are "U pads" like you mentioned or not.

Blazar!
post #9994 of 12214 Old 01-11-2014, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

Upon my purchase of the 8801 my dealer clearly warned me that the "purest Analog path" was not going to be via the XLR input for stereo which was indeed later confirmed and the reason being was Marantz felt that sending the signal through HDAM was better than a more discrete bypass of all digital processing thus the ability to still enable the LFE+ Main setting which RichB confirmed many months back. Now truth be told and on extensive listing and having the 8801 & Oppo 105 configured in various methods of connection for playback against the shall we say purest Analog method of connection which is the 7.1 analog inputs (no digitization of the signal at all) I give kudos to Marantz on what they accomplished in the digital realm by sending the stereo XLR input through the HDAM as its my prefered method of 2/ch from the 105 and at times sounds purer than the 7.1 analog input for 2/ch. In my findings there is a difference in the sound of stereo/ Direct and Pure Direct modes and is not just some feature for the idiocentric "Audiophile" as the sound of each is quite apparent. So in summing it all up if you want the purest form of analog connection to the 8801 use the RCA 7.1 analog inputs ( this applies to 2/ch stereo as well ) but I do recommend you try the XLR inputs as they offer a clean unmolested sound to the source .

Hmm... The HDAM has nothing to do with the XLR inputs, nor with digitizing the signal. HDAM is the analog output module and no matter which input you use, the signal will pass through the HDAM on its way out.

Source: HTPC
Pre: Marantz AV8801 + Pro Kit
PA: April Music Stello S200 (GD1 >130Hz), 2x ICEpower 1000ASP (GD1 <130Hz), 2x ICEpower ASP1000 (Subs), Marantz MM8077 (Rear+Center+Back)
Spkr: GD1 (Front), GDA125 (2xRear+1xBack), GDA Center (Center)
Subs: 4 towers, a total of 28 x 10" 25W ScanSpeak
post #9995 of 12214 Old 01-11-2014, 06:13 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by vince325 View Post

Hello another question any ideas why I can see the on screen display on my TV but not the Projector? I currently have both of them going through the 8801? Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

If you have the Video Output set to "Auto(Dual)" try setting it to "Monitor 2", otherwise you can try a soft reset (ie. unplug for 10 minutes).

Quote:

Ok tried both didn't work and even tried switching HDMI cables and reversed the outputs no luck. This is strange because it only doesn't work when watching a blu ray.
I started a blu ray and if I go to the setup menu while at the blu rays menu screen I can see the OSD (volume up or down)

I don't do processing in the AVR just pass through but that should be the same for both the Sat and blu-ray correct?

Also I'm getting a ARC error when switching outputs from sat/cbl to blu-ray it says Connecting then ask to retry or cancel could this be a causing problem? Im not sure why there is a problem on the same display between outputs? Thanks

So any other ideas guys I just can't figure this out.

Thanks, Vince

Pioneer Kuro
Sony VPL-HW50
Marantz 8801
Oppo 103D
DirectV
XBOX 360
post #9996 of 12214 Old 01-11-2014, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm in the process of upgrading from using a Denon AVR X4000 as my processor to the Marantz 8801. I'm using a Proceed HPA-2 for my Paradigm Signature 8 mains, an Emotiva XPA-100 for my center and two Proton Amps with the VU meters for my 4 surrounds. What I want to know is if both the balanced and RCA outputs can be utilized at the same time? I want to use the balanced to my main two amps, but the old Protons don't have balanced inputs, so I would use the RCA's. for those Thanks for any input!
post #9997 of 12214 Old 01-11-2014, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Yes. I use xlr for 7 channels and RCA for high/wide.

post #9998 of 12214 Old 01-11-2014, 07:19 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1345 Post(s)
Liked: 1590
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjazdk View Post

Good question.. Re-reading the manual I can't seem to find anywhere where it states that the Audyssey EQ is enabled for the subwoofer in Direct/Pure Direct modes, strange as I feel sure I have read it in the manual (must be my flawed memory).
But there are plenty of references in the manual stating that in Direct/Pure Direct mode, the input signal is played without modifications, and that the subwoofer can be enabled with the use of LFE+Main.

There's no question there as that fact is indeed mentioned in the Owner's manual and is true for every D&M model that features the DIRECT and PURE DIRECT modes. However, passing the lower level FL/FR speaker frequencies to the sub with LFE+MAIN does not mean Audyssey is enabled.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #9999 of 12214 Old 01-11-2014, 07:21 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by smfins View Post

I'm in the process of upgrading from using a Denon AVR X4000 as my processor to the Marantz 8801. I'm using a Proceed HPA-2 for my Paradigm Signature 8 mains, an Emotiva XPA-100 for my center and two Proton Amps with the VU meters for my 4 surrounds. What I want to know is if both the balanced and RCA outputs can be utilized at the same time? I want to use the balanced to my main two amps, but the old Protons don't have balanced inputs, so I would use the RCA's. for those Thanks for any input!

This is also acceptable for the AVR models as well in the sense that the speaker posts and RCA pre-outs can both be used when connected to different speakers.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #10000 of 12214 Old 01-11-2014, 07:23 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by smfins View Post

It should work - main zone outputs both XLR and RCA. I actually run two different HT sets of speakers in two different rooms as the "main zone" with one set RCA and one set XLR and so each channel outputs through both simultaneously.
post #10001 of 12214 Old 01-11-2014, 07:27 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

So any other ideas guys I just can't figure this out.

Ensure you have the "Video Conversion" setting for the BDP enabled as this is required for the OSD to overlay on the video. The HDMI(ARC) feature is often more trouble than it's worth ... connecting an optical cable may resolve that particular issue.

post #10002 of 12214 Old 01-11-2014, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Also, if I remember correctly, part of the setup asked if each individual set of channels (main, side, rear etc) was connected via xlr or RCA.

post #10003 of 12214 Old 01-11-2014, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks for the info ! Can't wait to get it!
post #10004 of 12214 Old 01-11-2014, 11:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by smfins View Post

Update:
I switched from -10db pads to -20db pads (from parts express) on the XLR main channel inputs to my pass amplifier for the 107db sensitivity horn speakers. Now the hiss/hum is inaudible from the sitting position. I had to add +10db gain for main the main speakers to match with the rest of my speakers. At this point it seems to sound just as good except the hiss is missing while the marantz is in idle. I'm glad I did this instead of some other draconian solution.

Consumer AVR's are obviously not made for super high sensitivity speakers in mind.

Blazar!
post #10005 of 12214 Old 01-12-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:

Ensure you have the "Video Conversion" setting for the BDP enabled as this is required for the OSD to overlay on the video. The HDMI(ARC) feature is often more trouble than it's worth ... connecting an optical cable may resolve that particular issue.
I looked for this on my oppo 103D and was unable to find...could the Darbee be the problem I wonder?

Thanks, Vince

Pioneer Kuro
Sony VPL-HW50
Marantz 8801
Oppo 103D
DirectV
XBOX 360
post #10006 of 12214 Old 01-12-2014, 11:01 AM

I recently set up my Marantz 8801 to my Panasonic TC-P54VT25 54 inch plasma. I am experiencing loss of system audio to TV only audio when swathing from Cab/Sat input to Apple TV or Internet Radio inputs. I have to turn the Preamp off and then on again to regain system volume. Also if I'm watching the TV with the system on and turn off the TV and turn it back on; the system volume does not come on. Again, I have to turn off the preamp and turn it back on. The TV supports ARC and works well when the preamp is in standby. My only connections are cable to Cab/Sat in, Blu-ray in, Apple TV in and HDMI out to the TV. HDMI switching is set to on and HDMI control is set to on and HDMI input is set to auto. I am using a trigger 1 out to my Rotel trigger in line conditioner for auto switching of of Parasound 5 ch amp and Panasonic Blu-ray. The Blu-ray switches input perfectly when tuned on. I've also set up my Marantz remote to turn on my TV independently.

Other than that the system works and sounds fantastic. Thanks in advance for any recommendations. 

post #10007 of 12214 Old 01-12-2014, 12:27 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

I looked for this on my oppo 103D and was unable to find...could the Darbee be the problem I wonder?

The "Video Conversion" setting is on the 8801 and is assignable per input.

post #10008 of 12214 Old 01-12-2014, 01:59 PM

Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutdad620 View Post

I've been lurking on this thread for quite some time since my Pioneer Elite 94 became a brick.
What would be a decent amp to power this?
Where can I find a better deal than the MSRP of $3600?
EDIT
I'm looking at Polk Audio RTiA9 for speakers. Finally going to get rid of those crappy now-ex- wife choice of Bose speakers (hanging head in shame).
I paired my '8801 with the Emotiva XPR-5 reference amp:
http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/amplifiers/products/xpr5
The 'marriage' performs flawlessly, and I've got at much clean power as I'll ever need.

As to a good deal on the '8801, (and if you might have a trade in?), try Hi-Fi Heaven, and email them asking for their best price.
They'll come back to you asking if you have a trade, respond with your trade info, and they'll respond with an excellent deal.
They're an authorized Marantz dealer, and I suspect they can't just discount the unit right off without some sort of camouflage (the trade) in order to offer you the best deal:
http://hifiheaven.net/store/Products/Home-Theater-Electronics/AV-Processors-and-Amplifiers/Marantz-AV8801-AV-11.2-Channel-Preamplifier-processor

Good luck!
(And good to jettison that Bose stuff too! biggrin.gif).

The Insane Pink Care Bear's Home Theater Set Up:

Marantz AV 8801 Processor, Emotiva XPR-5 Amplifier, Panasonic 65" ST30 Plasma, Yamaha BD-S2900 Blu-ray, Yamaha CDC-697 CD Player, Yamaha TT-500U Turntable, w/Signet TK5e, JBL ES100 Fronts, JBL LC2 Center, JBL ES30 Surrounds & 2 JBL ES250P Subwoofers
post #10009 of 12214 Old 01-12-2014, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Norseman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutdad620 View Post

I've been lurking on this thread for quite some time since my Pioneer Elite 94 became a brick.
What would be a decent amp to power this?
Where can I find a better deal than the MSRP of $3600?
EDIT
I'm looking at Polk Audio RTiA9 for speakers. Finally going to get rid of those crappy now-ex- wife choice of Bose speakers (hanging head in shame).
I paired my '8801 with the Emotiva XPR-5 reference amp:
http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/amplifiers/products/xpr5
The 'marriage' performs flawlessly, and I've got at much clean power as I'll ever need.

As to a good deal on the '8801, (and if you might have a trade in?), try Hi-Fi Heaven, and email them asking for their best price.
They'll come back to you asking if you have a trade, respond with your trade info, and they'll respond with an excellent deal.
They're an authorized Marantz dealer, and I suspect they can't just discount the unit right off without some sort of camouflage (the trade) in order to offer you the best deal:
http://hifiheaven.net/store/Products/Home-Theater-Electronics/AV-Processors-and-Amplifiers/Marantz-AV8801-AV-11.2-Channel-Preamplifier-processor

Good luck!
(And good to jettison that Bose stuff too! biggrin.gif).

Nice amp!
Double the power of my Outlaw 7700.

Ray
Mad Norseman likes this.

Birthdays are good for you
The more you have
The longer you live
post #10010 of 12214 Old 01-12-2014, 08:25 PM

Quote:

The "Video Conversion" setting is on the 8801 and is assignable per input.

Well I have been studying the manual and playing in the setup menu but I can not figure out how to assign the imputes differently. Right now everything is getting conversion but I would rather the OPPO not be converted. Sorry if this is repetitive thanks in advance.

Thanks, Vince

Pioneer Kuro
Sony VPL-HW50
Marantz 8801
Oppo 103D
DirectV
XBOX 360
post #10011 of 12214 Old 01-12-2014, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smfins View Post

Update:
I switched from -10db pads to -20db pads (from parts express) on the XLR main channel inputs to my pass amplifier for the 107db sensitivity horn speakers. Now the hiss/hum is inaudible from the sitting position. I had to add +10db gain for main the main speakers to match with the rest of my speakers. At this point it seems to sound just as good except the hiss is missing while the marantz is in idle. I'm glad I did this instead of some other draconian solution.

Consumer AVR's are obviously not made for super high sensitivity speakers in mind.

How is the quality of the xlr pads from parts express? I am now using rca connection, the trim on the front L&R are both -9, center is -10.5 (audyssey xt32 result), if I switch all the connection to xlr, which xlr pads should I buy -10, -15 or -20?
At first I plan to buy the Rothwell line pad($ 70/each), but the parts express one is more cheaper, which one should I buy?
post #10012 of 12214 Old 01-13-2014, 01:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:

I am using -10db xlr pads right now and audyssey has my mains set at 0db gain adjustment. I need to check if mine are "U pads" like you mentioned or not.
If your 10 dB pads are giving you 0 dB gain trims, they are working. It does not matter if they are "U" pads or not.
post #10013 of 12214 Old 01-13-2014, 01:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwong888 View Post

I am now using rca connection, the trim on the front L&R are both -9, center is -10.5 (audyssey xt32 result), if I switch all the connection to xlr, which xlr pads should I buy -10, -15 or -20?
It depends on the amplifier. Before buying the pads, run a test signal and measure the SPLs. Change to the XLR connection and see if there is any change in the test signal SPL. It might increase 6 dB, it might not.

If no change, the 10 dB pad will work. If the SPL increases 6 dB, can use either a 15 or 20 dB pad.
Quote:
At first I plan to buy the Rothwell line pad($ 70/each), but the parts express one is more cheaper, which one should I buy?
The choice of resistors in a premium pad (like metal film) is more important for a mic application where the signals are much lower than line level preamp signals. Start with the reasonably priced option.
post #10014 of 12214 Old 01-13-2014, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I have a question regarding listening to music CD's.

I am using an Oppo BDP 103 , and, have it connected to my 8801 via a Wire World HDMI cable.

I have my speakers crossed over to my sub at 60hz.

When I play a CD and use the direct (pure) mode only my two front speakers are engaged. The problem is I have no bass. I assume the pre-amp is still crossing over at 60hz, but, the sub is not engaged in this mode.

What settings should I be using to get the most out of 2-channel music listening and still have full range?

David Lynch Current Equipment: Marantz AV8801, Proceed HPA3, Parasound HCA-1206, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), Aerial Acoustics LR3's (sides), RBH in-walls (rears), Seaton Submersive, Marantz VP15s1, 106" Carada BW screen, Oppo BDP-103.
post #10015 of 12214 Old 01-13-2014, 08:09 AM
585-645-1006

There is no bass management when you use DIRECT and PURE DIRECT modes, rather the FL/FR speakers are treated as LARGE (full range) speakers. If you want to pass the lower frequencies to the sub as well as being played on the FL/FR speakers below the crossover, set the sub to "LFE+MAIN".

post #10016 of 12214 Old 01-13-2014, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

There is no bass management when you use DIRECT and PURE DIRECT modes, rather the FL/FR speakers are treated as LARGE (full range) speakers. If you want to pass the lower frequencies to the sub as well as being played on the FL/FR speakers below the crossover, set the sub to "LFE+MAIN".

Thanks JD

So....in pure and pure-direct my speakers are receiving a full range signal; regardless of my bass management settings?

I guess my speakers really do need a sub for serious listening.

David Lynch Current Equipment: Marantz AV8801, Proceed HPA3, Parasound HCA-1206, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), Aerial Acoustics LR3's (sides), RBH in-walls (rears), Seaton Submersive, Marantz VP15s1, 106" Carada BW screen, Oppo BDP-103.
post #10017 of 12214 Old 01-13-2014, 10:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1882 Post(s)
Liked: 1980
Quote:

Or set the mode to Stereo.

post #10018 of 12214 Old 01-13-2014, 10:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlynch View Post

Quote:

Thanks JD

So....in pure and pure-direct my speakers are receiving a full range signal; regardless of my bass management settings?

I guess my speakers really do need a sub for serious listening.

Yes - pure direct bypasses all digital processing so Audyssey is disabled as well as bass management.

post #10019 of 12214 Old 01-13-2014, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

Thanks Kevin-

What processing is engaged in "stereo" mode? Does it include bass management and Audyssey?

post #10020 of 12214 Old 01-13-2014, 10:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlynch View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

Thanks Kevin-

What processing is engaged in "stereo" mode? Does it include bass management and Audyssey?

I am an Onkyo man so I have to be careful here. In Onkyos (and I believe it is the same for Denons) Stereo mode will retain bass management and Audyssey. 

BTW, who's Kevin?  LOL!

All the best,

Keith

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Ken Kreisel Dxd 12012 Subwoofer , Marantz Av8801 , Receivers Amplifiers , Audyssey , Integra
Gear in this thread - Av8801 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page