Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #991 of 12292 Old 12-17-2012, 08:50 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
joerod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: MIDWEST (just outside Chicago)
Posts: 22,132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by randman View Post

Thanks! Some questions:
1. I suppose if one doesn't have a 4k projector (lucky you!) the video differences wouldn't be noticeable?
2. If the video processing is bypassed, can you still see the AV8801's on screen display?
3. If you have a TiVo or cable box that outputs the show's native resolution, when you switch channels that have different resolutions, how long does the AV8801 take to do the handshaking/synch? One thing that bothers me about my processor is it takes a long time to resynch, so I wind up making the TiVo output 1080p all the time, and so I don't even take advantage of my processor's video upscaling.
Thanks for the review!

Most like not on your first question. Both are very close in performance.
No, though there is a small symbol (hardly noticeable) when you are in stand by mode.
Not long at all though it is much quicker when sending in 1080i constantly.

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
joerod is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #992 of 12292 Old 12-17-2012, 08:53 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
joerod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: MIDWEST (just outside Chicago)
Posts: 22,132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by John2e View Post

Thank you for the excellent review Joe!
Do you have any experience with the Anthem D2V or Mcintosh MX-150? I am interested in how it compares to those more expensive processors.

Very little. Mainly from in store demos. I still would take the Marantz over many units costing 10K. It's vast amount of features with its great performance definitely pushes the limits of other pre-pros way above its price league.

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
joerod is offline  
post #993 of 12292 Old 12-17-2012, 08:54 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
joerod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: MIDWEST (just outside Chicago)
Posts: 22,132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosano View Post

Joerod...thanks for the review....I know this is a ton of work for you !!! Can't wait to get mine.

Hopefully you get it by Christmas! This would be a great present under the tree! smile.gif

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
joerod is offline  
post #994 of 12292 Old 12-17-2012, 09:26 PM
Newbie
 
rmurphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mn
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Has anyone compared the Denon AVP-A1HDCI(A) to the Marantz AV8801, I understand the cost is almost doubled but wanted to replace my Krell HTS 7.1 with a new preamp and wanted opinions on the sound quality of both.

I have reviewed the older version of the Denon and found it bright.
rmurphy is offline  
post #995 of 12292 Old 12-17-2012, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pgwalsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 1,477
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Thanks everyone for your nice comments. smile.gif
The particular Marantz I used had very little break in time but rest assured I put some good hours on it the first couple days. eek.gif
Now what to do with this 4520 I have sitting here! smile.gif
Are you going to list it on AVS? What are you asking, just out of curiosity? You can PM me if you prefer.

The only concern I really have is the remote lighting up when I fart. I fart a lot.

Builds: Maelstrom 21 Ottoman Build, Dual Opposed MFW's x 2, Statements, SEOS-12/TD12M x 5. 
pgwalsh is online now  
post #996 of 12292 Old 12-17-2012, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
thrang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 4,222
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by John2e View Post

Per my conversation with Audyssey. The pro Kit will require 2-3 more weeks of testing before it's release. mad.gif

Bum-mer!
thrang is offline  
post #997 of 12292 Old 12-17-2012, 11:20 PM
Member
 
Ian13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Bum-mer!

Does this reply / comment also relate to pgwalsh post just above?rolleyes.gifbiggrin.gif:
Ian13 is offline  
post #998 of 12292 Old 12-18-2012, 04:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Wetumpka, AL
Posts: 15,536
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 204
I've got an Oppo 95 that I'll be hooking up to the 8801 when it comes in.

Does anyone already have this configuration and can comment on whether to go analog or HDMI for BD movie playback?

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, VideoForge HDMI II, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
JimP is offline  
post #999 of 12292 Old 12-18-2012, 06:13 AM
Advanced Member
 
Dr_Mark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Minneapolis MN
Posts: 856
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I snuck over to my dealer last night. He had a pallet of them. Got 2, one for me and a friend. Compared to the 7005, better detail, more open sound stage. That and much more, this is a very nice upgrade.
Substantial improvement over the older 7005.

Life is enjoyable with good quality
Dr_Mark is offline  
post #1000 of 12292 Old 12-18-2012, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ss9001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: metro Atlanta
Posts: 8,723
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by John2e View Post

Per my conversation with Audyssey. The pro Kit will require 2-3 more weeks of testing before it's release. mad.gif

I have a question - from anyone wink.gif

what's involved with pairing a receiver/processor with the Pro software? does the software itself get updated or the firmware in the AV unit, or both?

I have another question on HDAM -

I'm a little confused on what this preamp circuitry supposedly does. And is it used on both single ended outputs & balanced?

Steve
ss9001 is online now  
post #1001 of 12292 Old 12-18-2012, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member
 
jh901's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 512
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Very little. Mainly from in store demos. I still would take the Marantz over many units costing 10K. It's vast amount of features with its great performance definitely pushes the limits of other pre-pros way above its price league.

Features are one thing, but performance? As in sound quality? The units you refer to are going to have fully balanced analog outputs (not fake "balanced", which have extra parts in the signal path). These pre-pros will also have advanced implementations in the digital section and they will have a good bit of R&D into the all important power supply. I'm not suggesting the it will be easy to justify spending more for ostensibly less, but I hope you might borrow, say, 3 of these unnamed pre-pros to compare. The Cary Cinema 12 will have many "cons" with respect to features and ease of use, but I doubt sound quality will fail to impress. Then take the next step up with the Classe, etc. The membership will benefit greatly from the distinction between convience/features versus bottom line sound quality. Most will be best served with the former, but the latter should not be so easily dismissed.

HT 3.1: Panny BDT 220 | 60" Panny VT60 | Marantz AV7005 | Focal CMS50 (L/R), CMS40 & CMS Sub

Stereo system: Cary Audio 306 SACD Pro | Cary Audio SLP-05 tube line level | Cary Audio SA-200.2 | Focal Diablo Utopia III
jh901 is offline  
post #1002 of 12292 Old 12-18-2012, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 7,730
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

I've got an Oppo 95 that I'll be hooking up to the 8801 when it comes in.

Does anyone already have this configuration and can comment on whether to go analog or HDMI for BD movie playback?

For most people, the sonic improvement provided by Audyssey's room equalization (I.E. using an HDMI connection) substantially outweighs the esthetics of using the player's DACs.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
Selden Ball is online now  
post #1003 of 12292 Old 12-18-2012, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member
 
VinnyS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

For most people, the sonic improvement provided by Audyssey's room equalization (I.E. using an HDMI connection) substantially outweighs the esthetics of using the player's DACs.

+1

Get all your A/V News at: AVS Latest News

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forums on Twitter

AVSForum
Bringing the AV Community Together
********************************************************
VinnyS is offline  
post #1004 of 12292 Old 12-18-2012, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter
exm
AVS Special Member
 
exm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: NYY
Posts: 1,324
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmurphy View Post

Has anyone compared the Denon AVP-A1HDCI(A) to the Marantz AV8801, I understand the cost is almost doubled but wanted to replace my Krell HTS 7.1 with a new preamp and wanted opinions on the sound quality of both.
I have reviewed the older version of the Denon and found it bright.

I haven't heard neither, but I don't think paying double for the Denon is something I would consider.
exm is offline  
post #1005 of 12292 Old 12-18-2012, 09:11 AM
Member
 
GreenMtnGringo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Vermont, USA
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My AV8801 was shipped yesterday from Sound Video in Minnesota and is due to arrive this Friday. It will be replacing an Integra DTC-9.8. In addition to the more popular features, I will also be using the phono section, the headphone output and HD Radio. I can report back on what I hear if anyone is interested in these less prominent aspects of this monster pre-pro. Happy Holidays to all!
GreenMtnGringo is offline  
post #1006 of 12292 Old 12-18-2012, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 7,730
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked: 521
Audio coloration caused by receiver design is pretty much a thing of the past when comparing electronics that's been well designed. If it's noticeable, the equipment is defective. Electronic audio coloration is now controlled by the room equalization software and how well it has been applied. Of course, you do still need to start with quality speakers in a room that has good acoustics.

Too many people, including equipment designers, are still stuck in the past when digital signal processing was in its infancy. They haven't noticed how the availability of powerful DSPs and sophisticated algorithms have made major improvements to the quality of audio available to anyone who can afford a modern receiver or pre/pro.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
Selden Ball is online now  
post #1007 of 12292 Old 12-18-2012, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
exm
AVS Special Member
 
exm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: NYY
Posts: 1,324
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Did anyone review the MM8077 as of yet?

Here's my dilemma. Currently I'm running 7.2 (using the AV7005 and Parasound A51/A23 amps), and I'm already setup for 9.2 (purchased the speakers and an additional A23 amp, and planning on purchasing the AV8801 very soon). I would like to go to 11.2, but I really don't want to run 4 amps (A51+3xA23 if I purchase another A23). I'm actually considering the combo deal for the AV8801+MM8077 and have the MM8077 for the rears, wides and front heights (and the Parasound A51 handling fronts, sides and center) selling my 2xA23. Would that actually make sense? The more I think about it, the more it seems like it a perfect solution.
exm is offline  
post #1008 of 12292 Old 12-18-2012, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ss9001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: metro Atlanta
Posts: 8,723
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post

the MM8077 for the rears, wides and front heights (and the Parasound A51 handling fronts, sides and center) selling my 2xA23. Would that actually make sense? The more I think about it, the more it seems like it a perfect solution.

seems to me, too smile.gif

I certainly wouldn't trade the A51, a very nice amp, and you wouldn't need the power reserves in the A23 for the various enhanced channels.

Steve
ss9001 is online now  
post #1009 of 12292 Old 12-18-2012, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ss9001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: metro Atlanta
Posts: 8,723
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 346
so, can someone answer me on how getting the Marantz into the Pro software works? update the software or firmware in the 8801? my post was the last post on the previous page, so don't want my question to get lost wink.gif

I also had a question about HDAM...

Steve
ss9001 is online now  
post #1010 of 12292 Old 12-18-2012, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member
 
Dr_Mark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Minneapolis MN
Posts: 856
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 61
When you do the Pro calibration of the 8801, you use the pro software. After you have paid the $150 lic fee, you will be able to save the room correction update to the 8801 and update it.

Life is enjoyable with good quality
Dr_Mark is offline  
post #1011 of 12292 Old 12-18-2012, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member
 
AI Limited's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 690
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post

Did anyone review the MM8077 as of yet?
Here's my dilemma. Currently I'm running 7.2 (using the AV7005 and Parasound A51/A23 amps), and I'm already setup for 9.2 (purchased the speakers and an additional A23 amp, and planning on purchasing the AV8801 very soon). I would like to go to 11.2, but I really don't want to run 4 amps (A51+3xA23 if I purchase another A23). I'm actually considering the combo deal for the AV8801+MM8077 and have the MM8077 for the rears, wides and front heights (and the Parasound A51 handling fronts, sides and center) selling my 2xA23. Would that actually make sense? The more I think about it, the more it seems like it a perfect solution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

seems to me, too smile.gif
I certainly wouldn't trade the A51, a very nice amp, and you wouldn't need the power reserves in the A23 for the various enhanced channels.

I've often wondered about this. I have a BK200.7 and when I purchased some Emotiva XPA amps and used the combination of the amps, running the Emo on my front mains, Audyssey just turned down the gains on the Emo during auto room correction. When I disconnected the BK 200.7 and just ran the Emo (much higher power than the BK), I found that I had much more power at my fingertips post room correction implementation. So while the theory behind using the A51 for the front, sides, and center seems sound (pun intended) while running the 8077 on the rest of the surrounds, I wonder if you will be limited to the weaker of the two amplifiers with respect to power output. Obviously other advantages of the different amplifiers would still be realized, such as dynamic headroom, THD benefits, etc.

AI Limited
AI Limited is offline  
post #1012 of 12292 Old 12-18-2012, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ss9001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: metro Atlanta
Posts: 8,723
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Mark View Post

When you do the Pro calibration of the 8801, you use the pro software. After you have paid the $150 lic fee, you will be able to save the room correction update to the 8801 and update it.

ok I must be missing something confused.gif

but several people have posted that Pro can't be used until the 8801 is added to some device list...so if this device list is in the software, do existing license owners download an upgrade patch or does the 8801 itself have to be updated so it recognizes the Pro software. I know you have to buy the kit and pay a license fee, I am wondering how the 8801 gets "added" smile.gif

I assume that once this "addition" is done, the software will automatically include the 8801 but until then how does an existing owner manage to use it for the 8801? or does paying the license fee for the Marantz do this? seems if that were so, people right now could use it by paying the fee and they wouldn't need to wait confused.gif

I know there are experienced Pro users lining up to buy this thing smile.gif

Steve
ss9001 is online now  
post #1013 of 12292 Old 12-18-2012, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
danielo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Utrecht, Netherlands
Posts: 4,188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post

I haven't heard neither, but I don't think paying double for the Denon is something I would consider.

As a AVP owner i am probably biased but... I agree that getting a AVP which is end of life vs a new model is tricky at best and for 2x the price i would probably go for the 8801. But ive seen upgraded AVP's go for prices that are silly low (like a 1/5 last price list in europe) at the same price as the 8801 i personally would go for the AVP.

The 8801 is the logical pick but people should look around for a nice deal on the avp we are in the last few months for them and some deals are just very sweet.

Daniel.

for men to evolve we have to upgrade
danielo is offline  
post #1014 of 12292 Old 12-18-2012, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
audiofan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,259
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh901 View Post

Features are one thing, but performance? As in sound quality? The units you refer to are going to have fully balanced analog outputs (not fake "balanced", which have extra parts in the signal path). These pre-pros will also have advanced implementations in the digital section and they will have a good bit of R&D into the all important power supply. I'm not suggesting the it will be easy to justify spending more for ostensibly less, but I hope you might borrow, say, 3 of these unnamed pre-pros to compare. The Cary Cinema 12 will have many "cons" with respect to features and ease of use, but I doubt sound quality will fail to impress. Then take the next step up with the Classe, etc. The membership will benefit greatly from the distinction between convience/features versus bottom line sound quality. Most will be best served with the former, but the latter should not be so easily dismissed.

Its often a mistake to confuse price with performance, Lets use the wine analogy, take the same geographical conditions and similar location where grapes are grown the owner of a large vineyard can sell his wine at a lower price than one that say has a smaller vineyard, the smaller has to sell higher for the fewer bottles of wine he produces( keep in mind we are talking about good wine!) One may say then all things massed produced are on par with the hand crafted and tight qc variety, no not at all. To touch on the "fully Balanced" subject, Anthem's I know for sure are not what one would call this but sound superior to there rca counterparts. As for the others who know's if its "Fully Balanced" or not the whole debate is pointless comes down to does it sound good using it are not !

P.S Having the 8801 for a week now and only doing noncritical listening I will say this " Audiophiles and Videophiles" alike should rejoice, more to come on this!wink.gif
audiofan1 is online now  
post #1015 of 12292 Old 12-18-2012, 11:48 AM
Newbie
 
John2e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

ok I must be missing something confused.gif
but several people have posted that Pro can't be used until the 8801 is added to some device list...so if this device list is in the software, do existing license owners download an upgrade patch or does the 8801 itself have to be updated so it recognizes the Pro software. I know you have to buy the kit and pay a license fee, I am wondering how the 8801 gets "added" smile.gif
I assume that once this "addition" is done, the software will automatically include the 8801 but until then how does an existing owner manage to use it for the 8801? or does paying the license fee for the Marantz do this? seems if that were so, people right now could use it by paying the fee and they wouldn't need to wait confused.gif
I know there are experienced Pro users lining up to buy this thing smile.gif

Steve Not really sure but I know the pro calibration requires a computer. The software they are working on is probably the software used by the computer.

But as my wife repeatedly remind me, I am an idiot biggrin.gif
John2e is offline  
post #1016 of 12292 Old 12-18-2012, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
Dr_Mark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Minneapolis MN
Posts: 856
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 61
The 8801 already has XT32 room correction software built in with an included Mic. This is all you need to get it going. Run the correction software built in the 8801 and there you go. If you wish to purchase the Pro system room correction kit. That is an extra $550 plus $150 for a license. Now Audyssey is the one who controls the Pro kit. They need to make sure that the Pro kit is fully compatable with the 8801. Once they update the 8801 profile you will be able to buy a license and apply any tweak to the XT32 setup. If you do buy the kit, this is run on a seperate computer with the kit mic and then saved to the 8801.
You do not "need" to buy the Pro kit.
Does that help?

Life is enjoyable with good quality
Dr_Mark is offline  
post #1017 of 12292 Old 12-18-2012, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member
 
randman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 536
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by John2e View Post

Thank you for the excellent review Joe!
Do you have any experience with the Anthem D2V or Mcintosh MX-150? I am interested in how it compares to those more expensive processors.

The Anthem D2 had a retail price nearly double the cost of the AV8801 (and that was over 6 years ago when I got it). Its follow-on, the D2V, is significantly more (nearly $10k, I believe). I was interested in the D2V, but the price is too high. Unlike the old audio-only days, technology changes fast enough that paying this much for a processor will make it very hard to upgrade/keep up often. The old Denon AVP-A1HDCI would have been another great processor to have due to their upgradability (if you bought it years ago), but it seems that it's at the end of its lifecycle, and I get the impression that Marantz is being positioned on the higher end than Denon.

I'm generalizing here (so there's always exceptions), but IMO the very high end processors give the hope of better sound, particularly when it comes to critical music listening. Whether the improved sound is worth the significantly higher cost is based on the eye (or ears) of the beholder. Unlike many years ago, I no longer just sit down in front of my system just to listen to music, and try to hear every subtle difference that a change to my system brings. My system is 100% for watching movies, so any subtle improvements on audio that result in multiple times the cost of a less esoteric processor is not very noticeable or significant enough a factor compared to other considerations. One thing about the "less esoteric" brands like Marantz and Denon is that they have an advantage in volume. I believe that their expertise and product experience ranging from low to high end components results in better "vetting" of problems such as firmware bugs, resulting in higher reliability, particularly with HDMI handshaking, video syncing, etc. Plus, the video processing of the really high end esoteric components aren't any better (nor necessarily advertised to be better) than more common components. Finally, the really high end processors are usually a few features behind must cheaper components (e.g. they don't provide TCP connectivity, user interface not as nice, etc.; I don't care about Internet apps like Netflix, though, since you can usually do better by getting cheap media servers like Apple TV).

I also looked into the Classe SSP, but again, very expensive. Supposedly great sound, thought. But, no video processing (but IMO, that's the job of the display anyway). It also doesn't have automatic room correction.

Anyway, there's a large gap between the price of the AV8801 and higher end products like the Anthem D2v and Classe. Looked at a couple of McIntosh models too. The cheaper one didn't have features that I liked, while the more expensive one was, well, too expensive.

If I know I can comfortably keep the same processor for many many years, I may be tempted to spend more, but these days, I think it's better to spend less and upgrade more :-) (not that the AV8801 is cheap, but relative to the other components mentioned earlier....).
randman is offline  
post #1018 of 12292 Old 12-18-2012, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
AI Limited's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 690
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Limited View Post

I've often wondered about this. I have a BK200.7 and when I purchased some Emotiva XPA amps and used the combination of the amps, running the Emo on my front mains, Audyssey just turned down the gains on the Emo during auto room correction. When I disconnected the BK 200.7 and just ran the Emo (much higher power than the BK), I found that I had much more power at my fingertips post room correction implementation. So while the theory behind using the A51 for the front, sides, and center seems sound (pun intended) while running the 8077 on the rest of the surrounds, I wonder if you will be limited to the weaker of the two amplifiers with respect to power output. Obviously other advantages of the different amplifiers would still be realized, such as dynamic headroom, THD benefits, etc.

Probably the wrong forum for this anyway?

AI Limited
AI Limited is offline  
post #1019 of 12292 Old 12-18-2012, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ss9001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: metro Atlanta
Posts: 8,723
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Mark View Post

Does that help?

yes, thank you very much! I got it smile.gif

Steve
ss9001 is online now  
post #1020 of 12292 Old 12-18-2012, 12:28 PM
Senior Member
 
discodol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Wilton Manors, FL, USA
Posts: 446
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

I've got an Oppo 95 that I'll be hooking up to the 8801 when it comes in.
Does anyone already have this configuration and can comment on whether to go analog or HDMI for BD movie playback?

HDMI for sure. The only time I use analog from my Oppo is for music which sounds so much better than over HDMI.

David Ferebee
discodol is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Ken Kreisel Dxd 12012 Subwoofer , Marantz Av8801 , Receivers Amplifiers , Audyssey , Integra
Gear in this thread - Av8801 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off