post #10171 of 11874 Old 01-21-2014, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

So definitely no volume limiting on the phone... Was worth a shot though. Still stuck at -6 atm.

Is this only happening when you use the Marantz app?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10172 of 11874 Old 01-21-2014, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Nope, all the time, so I deleted the marantz app and still no love. deremote only at this point. I haven't had time to mess any more tonight but I will have some time tomorrow evening to continue tinkering so keep the suggestions coming guys!!! Thx

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #10173 of 11874 Old 01-22-2014, 05:13 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Just picked up two new subwoofers for the home theater! I was thinking thinking about just adding them to my current sub to have all 3 playing.

How should I connect 3 subs to the marantz?

Daisy chain the two new identical ones and use the other channel for the 3rd?

Would the two that are daisy chained have to be on the same wall or close to one another?

Thanks
Bill
post #10174 of 11874 Old 01-22-2014, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by baranowski View Post

Just picked up two new subwoofers for the home theater! I was thinking thinking about just adding them to my current sub to have all 3 playing.

How should I connect 3 subs to the marantz?

Daisy chain the two new identical ones and use the other channel for the 3rd?

Would the two that are daisy chained have to be on the same wall or close to one another?

Thanks
Bill

I have done exactly what you are talking about. Are your new subs much better than the old one? I would put the two news ones in and then run audyssey first and get an idea of what they do in their positions. Really it is ideal to get each sub to its best position in the room individually first if that is possible.

Blazar!
post #10175 of 11874 Old 01-22-2014, 06:23 AM

Two new subs are rythmik servo 15. The old one is a paradigm servo 15a.

If I put the rythmik of front they would be daisy chained and connected to one sub out?

Then the other would be placed in the back area of the room and on its own sub out?

I can't see to find a lot on 3 subs... There is alot on 4 subs and 2 subs. I was just thinking about two up front and one in the back corner....

I am afraid that the subs will cancel out them selves though.

Thank you.
Bill
post #10176 of 11874 Old 01-22-2014, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

The channel you have the dual subs on, make sure they are equidistant from the listening position. The other then could be on the second channel with xt32 having the ability to adjust distance differently than the other two.

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #10177 of 11874 Old 01-22-2014, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

For the guys using the manual EQ on the 8801. Do you like how it works? I noticed it only EQ's down to 63Hz and up to 16kHz, is this normal? I'm looking for an alternative to Audyssey for music, XT32 is great for movies but I think it's a little bright and thin using flat for music. One thing I would miss is DEQ which is great for listening at lower volumes.

I'd like to EQ all of my channels and with the 8801 I can that, but I have a feeling it can be done better with an out-board EQ or a DSP.
post #10178 of 11874 Old 01-22-2014, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

For the guys using the manual EQ on the 8801. Do you like how it works? I noticed it only EQ's down to 63Hz and up to 16kHz, is this normal? I'm looking for an alternative to Audyssey for music, XT32 is great for movies but I think it's a little bright and thin using flat for music. One thing I would miss is DEQ which is great for listening at lower volumes.

I'd like to EQ all of my channels and with the 8801 I can that, but I have a feeling it can be done better with an out-board EQ or a DSP.

Time to try so tips wink.gif While music is playing lean forward or backwards in the mlp and see if the sound is smoother or brighter ! and were it sounds smoother you'll then want to place the mic there for a calibration run , in addition to this try raising the mic a 1/4 from the top of your ear while seated and lastly for position 7&8 use the back of the mlp in a triangle from the original position 1 ( around 18 inches) and check the results. I find it important to get the mlp correct ( i.e distance , levels ) for the main speakers be sure they are the same distance and levels if you can , all you need to do here is keep moving the mic in inch increments till you hit the mark, there's no need to run a full calibration just use position 1 and then calculate, once satisfied run the full 8 position calibration.

This resulted in Audyseey thats great for movies and music infact its the best playback I've heard of multi/ch sacd smile.gif
post #10179 of 11874 Old 01-22-2014, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

Time to try so tips wink.gif While music is playing lean forward or backwards in the mlp and see if the sound is smoother or brighter ! and were it sounds smoother you'll then want to place the mic there for a calibration run , in addition to this try raising the mic a 1/4 from the top of your ear while seated and lastly for position 7&8 use the back of the mlp in a triangle from the original position 1 ( around 18 inches) and check the results. I find it important to get the mlp correct ( i.e distance , levels ) for the main speakers be sure they are the same distance and levels if you can , all you need to do here is keep moving the mic in inch increments till you hit the mark, there's no need to run a full calibration just use position 1 and then calculate, once satisfied run the full 8 position calibration.

This resulted in Audyseey thats great for movies and music infact its the best playback I've heard of multi/ch sacd smile.gif

Ok I'll give it a try. So find the smooth spot and place the mic there for my first mic position? Number 7 & 8 measurements should be like they are shown here?

Do you use Audyssey flat for music? Someone suggested if I'm finding flat bright to try the move setting.
post #10180 of 11874 Old 01-22-2014, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:

Ok I'll give it a try. So find the smooth spot and place the mic there for my first mic position? Number 7 & 8 measurements should be like they are shown here?

Do you use Audyssey flat for music? Someone suggested if I'm finding flat bright to try the move setting.

Yes, while music is playing using Flat or Audyssey lean forward or back and see which is better sounding to your ears this could be an inch or two or possibly more! and yes on 7&8 .

As for music I mostly use Audyssey and Flat here and there !
post #10181 of 11874 Old 01-22-2014, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

Yes, while music is playing using Flat or Audyssey lean forward or back and see which is better sounding to your ears this could be an inch or two or possibly more! and yes on 7&8 .

As for music I mostly use Audyssey and Flat here and there !

Ok gotcha thanks. Have you tried to manually EQ the 8801 for music? Do you feel Audyssey did it much better? I'm sitting here listening to Audyssey off and I EQ'd it myself and Audyssey just sounds better even if a bit bright.

Edit;
Now that I've been playing a couple of hours with the manual EQ I have it dialed in nicely. I'm going to have to rerun Audyssey, when I lean my head forward approximately one foot the brightness goes away somewhat.
post #10182 of 11874 Old 01-23-2014, 10:13 AM

If I place the two subs in the front and the third sub in the back of the theater will they cancel each other out?

Thank you
post #10183 of 11874 Old 01-23-2014, 11:02 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:

When your playing music on your istuff flip up the quick menu and click airplay as long as your 8801 is on and it's connected to your network it will show up as an option, just click it.

Greetings,

FYI this will work whether the 8801 is powered on or not as long as you have the 8801 set yo Network control while in standby. I use Airplay with both my iPad and iPhone and it works great. smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #10184 of 11874 Old 01-23-2014, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

as long as the two on the single input are equidistant, and hopefully even symmetrical to the MLP, you should be good, the third sub by itself would need to be on the second sub out on the 8801 and it's distance settings would(should) be different to prevent cancellation.

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #10185 of 11874 Old 01-23-2014, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

FYI this will work whether the 8801 is powered on or not as long as you have the 8801 set yo Network control while in standby. I use Airplay with both my iPad and iPhone and it works great. smile.gif

Regards,

Hey Ralph, that's true I just never leave the network setting on smile.gif
post #10186 of 11874 Old 01-23-2014, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Had my 8801 for several months now and finally decided to listen to music thru it last night.redface.gif I know, don't rush into it.biggrin.gif I was switching back and forth between 'Stereo' and 'direct.' At the end I preferred stereo. What's the difference between those two on the 8801?
i like direct better, the stereo image is more focused,try it again.
post #10187 of 11874 Old 01-24-2014, 12:21 AM

Liked: 14

Hi guys, I just bought a Marantz av8801 and an Oppo 103D.  Having a horror time getting them to communicate with HDMI. Hoping you can help.

My aim is to utilise the Oppo's Darbee for other sources (PVR & Sat TV) as well as blu ray.  Preferably, those sources would both feed into the Oppo via the av8801 using HDMI.

The limitation is that I don't want to use the Oppo's analog stage at all.

The problem is all sorts of glitches and HDMI handshake issues.

Hoping for suggestions on best way to connect these units and my TV.

Thanks in advance,

JD

post #10188 of 11874 Old 01-24-2014, 05:02 AM

Liked: 20
Is there a way to temporarily increase the center channel level? That is, raise it a few db but have it go back to it's calibrated value after power down.

I had an integra that had that feature and it was handy when a movie was mixed badly and the center channel was underwhelming. Happens a lot when I watch sat TV.
post #10189 of 11874 Old 01-24-2014, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner969 View Post

Is there a way to temporarily increase the center channel level? That is, raise it a few db but have it go back to it's calibrated value after power down.

I had an integra that had that feature and it was handy when a movie was mixed badly and the center channel was underwhelming. Happens a lot when I watch sat TV.

It seems like the center channel setting in the audio menu sticks when you use it. Having said that, i seem to have better luck with center channel volume when i use DTS NEO X as opposed to audyssey DSX. Dynamic EQ should also improve center channel dialogue. There are a variety of options to "improve" center channel dialogue but I think marantz is hoping that you choose a method that allows you to not keep fiddling with the center channel level as on typically does on other receivers.

Having moved from an integra 80.3 myself, i used to fiddle with center channel volume too. Now I am letting Neo X handle it with fairly pleasing results.

Blazar!
post #10190 of 11874 Old 01-24-2014, 05:19 AM

Thanks. I'll give neo x a shot... Though I generally like dsx more.
post #10191 of 11874 Old 01-24-2014, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOz View Post

Hi guys, I just bought a Marantz av8801 and an Oppo 103D.  Having a horror time getting them to communicate with HDMI. Hoping you can help.
My aim is to utilise the Oppo's Darbee for other sources (PVR & Sat TV) as well as blu ray.  Preferably, those sources would both feed into the Oppo via the av8801 using HDMI.

Thanks in advance,
JD

Hi, are you going straight to the panel from the Oppo? Whenever i have problems like this which isn't often I find un hooking all my HDMI connections and starting over helps, a little shot of compressed air in the cable ends and sockets can't hurt. Also try turning on the source first and the 8801 last,works for me.
post #10192 of 11874 Old 01-24-2014, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner969 View Post

Hi, if you have istuff the Deremote app is perfect for adjusting trim levels on the fly.
post #10193 of 11874 Old 01-24-2014, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 43
"Oh Boy, this is gonna be good, I can tell". Sage words from Dory... The Pixar fish.

I pretty much have the Marantz dialed in now. My observations are many but to summarize. Pretty easy to operate, fairly glitch free, sounds awesome and I prefer DSX for sports and TV (dialed down a bit for sports) and Neo:X. Really, it operates very much like the previous Denon's I have owned with a more advanced GUI.

So, the. Fun stuff. In my ever ridiculous quest to upgrade, I first added Roomie Remote. It works well with the Marantz but there are some occasional network bugs/lockouts. I might be adding an Itach device for Serial Control. Does anyone have an experience with this option and The 8801?

I then replaced my trusty B&W ASW2500 pair of sealed subs with bigger/badder SVS SB Ultra 13s. I can tell they play lower than my B&W's but this is not very noticeable. My subs were getting a little long in the tooth and probably would eventually fail but if I am to be totally honest, this was not a necessary upgrade. Still thrilled to have that little extra slam and the extra low octave but have to admit the sickness of upgraditis hit hard.

Finally, I added Crowson Technology transducers and the amp to drive them. I upped the sub at the 8801 by 2db and have the transducer amp on full throttle. Wow, fun, fun, fun stuff! We watched "Oblivion" (a quite slow but very bass heavy Cruise love in) and the integration of transducer rumbling and the SVS's was just amazing. Later, I watched the Oscar worthy, "Olympus Has Fallen". It was a stupid fun experience to actually feel thousands of machine gun bullets obliterating my seating area. These little buggers really work and in retrospect, I should have bought them first and held off on new subs. The extreme low bass really is felt better than heard. Anywhoooooo. What I thought might be more gimmicky of an effect is actually pretty durn fantastic. Too bad the Seahawks aren't playing at the Clink instead of in NJ. It would be cool to "feel" the stadium as we win.

Having fun! Cheers to all and "Go Hawks"!!!
post #10194 of 11874 Old 01-24-2014, 09:25 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Thanks in advance,
JD

If you are using other player to oppo HDMI input, remember to set the HDMI audio to LPCM.
post #10195 of 11874 Old 01-24-2014, 10:07 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbad2000 View Post

If you are using other player to oppo HDMI input, remember to set the HDMI audio to LPCM.

Interesting.  Since I want to preserve best possible quality for blu ray from oppo to av8801, is their a preference for LPCM vs. bitstream?

i.e. I want to help Sat TV communicate via oppo but don't want to sacrifice quality from blu ray to achieve that.

Similarly, any comments on whether running oppo video-out through the av8801 on the way to the TV causes any "noticeable" loss in PQ compared to oppo direct to TV? (see below; that's my only current work-around)

I managed to get things working but only by feeding sat TV direct to Oppo and having oppo use only HDMI-1 out to TV via av8801.  Something weird happens when I use oppo HDMI-1 to TV and HDMI-2 to av8801. Related to split av / dual setting, I think. I either get no audio on blu ray or get video problems from Sat-av8801-TV.

Cheers

post #10196 of 11874 Old 01-24-2014, 10:50 AM

Liked: 100
Quote:

Thanks in advance,
JD
The Oppo has a single(?) HDMI input I believe which is where the signal from your PVR/DVR would input.
Then the Oppo would be outputting those signals and Blu-ray movie signals via one of it's two outputs.
Then from there, inputting into your AV8801's Blu-ray HDMI input.
Why wouldn't that work?
Or maybe I misunderstand how you've presently got it all connected? (Your part that reads: "those sources would both feed into the Oppo via the av8801 using HDMI"), which is the reverse of what I'm suggesting...

The Insane Pink Care Bear's Home Theater Set Up:

Marantz AV 8801 Processor, Emotiva XPR-5 Amplifier, Panasonic 65" ST30 Plasma, Yamaha BD-S2900 Blu-ray, Yamaha CDC-697 CD Player, Yamaha TT-500U Turntable, w/Signet TK5e, JBL ES100 Fronts, JBL LC2 Center, JBL ES30 Surrounds & 2 JBL ES250P Subwoofers
post #10197 of 11874 Old 01-24-2014, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleHTGuy View Post

"These little buggers really work and in retrospect, I should have bought them first and held off on new subs. The extreme low bass really is felt better than heard.
So nice to see home theater enjoyment. It's infectious.

Is your seating area on a concrete floor, or wood joists? Mine is on the 2nd story, so joists, and the subs can be felt through the seating, especially the back row on the riser. It's quite obvious back there, and really adds to the overall effect -- even without shakers. 2 of the subs sit right behind those seats.

On a concrete floor, the shakers would really be valuable.
post #10198 of 11874 Old 01-24-2014, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

So nice to see home theater enjoyment. It's infectious.

Is your seating area on a concrete floor, or wood joists? Mine is on the 2nd story, so joists, and the subs can be felt through the seating, especially the back row on the riser. It's quite obvious back there, and really adds to the overall effect -- even without shakers. 2 of the subs sit right behind those seats.

On a concrete floor, the shakers would really be valuable.

Roger, the floor is concrete but covered with a thicker wall to wall carpet. You screw in furniture isolators that are a somewhat soft and thick rubber. It is not ideal, I am sure but the Crowson transducers move up and down. The other brands move side to side. Regardless, it is a better experience than I had thought it would be. So much so that I can feel comfortable in recommending these units over bigger subs in certain situations. I am not sure how they would work for your room. I have seen pictures of your space and remember it is elevated. Also, I had to up the crossover to around 80 to 100 Hz (depending on speaker)to send a bit more content to the sub channel. 40 to 60 Hz I missed some content.
post #10199 of 11874 Old 01-24-2014, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleHTGuy View Post

Roger, the floor is concrete but covered with a thicker wall to wall carpet.
Yes, I think the shakers make that much more of a difference since you are on concrete. Although so is JapanDave's room, but somehow a wall full of IB subs gets the furniture moving pretty well! eek.gif
post #10200 of 11874 Old 01-24-2014, 05:06 PM

Quote:

Hi, if you have istuff the Deremote app is perfect for adjusting trim levels on the fly.

Thanks. That's what I'm doing now, but have to remember to set it to the calibrated value each time.

Anyone know how to set speaker levels using rs232 protocol? What's the command for setting speaker levels?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Ken Kreisel Dxd 12012 Subwoofer , Marantz Av8801 , Receivers Amplifiers , Audyssey , Integra
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page