Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread - Page 358 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #10711 of 11958 Old 02-23-2014, 05:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Hi, can anybody tell me if the XLR outputs on the AV8801 are truly balanced or not?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10712 of 11958 Old 02-23-2014, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Hey wabo man have you done the firmware upgrade yet ?

Yes sir. Just last night, as a matter of fact. Howabout you?

Growing Older But Not Up
post #10713 of 11958 Old 02-23-2014, 07:38 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Yes sir. Just last night, as a matter of fact. Howabout you?

Not yet

Frank

post #10714 of 11958 Old 02-23-2014, 07:55 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchong View Post

Hi, can anybody tell me if the XLR outputs on the AV8801 are truly balanced or not?

Balanced at the XLR output but the signal path inside the av8801 is not fully balanced. Think that's what you mean.

post #10715 of 11958 Old 02-23-2014, 09:07 AM

Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

I did the firmware update early today and thought the sound...didn't sound right. Unplugged power to the 8801 for a few minutes and after replugging it, it sound better but not as good as before the firmware update.

Probably just needs Audyssey to be rerun.

With that said, I don't see any improvements. If I had it to do over again, I'd not update the firmware.
An excellent 'rule of thumb' is: "NEVER run a firmware update if your component is already working the way you want it to!".
This is true for the AV8801, or any other piece of A/V gear IMO - just my two cents worth...rolleyes.gif
darthray likes this.

The Insane Pink Care Bear's Home Theater Set Up:

Marantz AV 8801 Processor, Emotiva XPR-5 Amplifier, Panasonic 65" ST30 Plasma, Yamaha BD-S2900 Blu-ray, Yamaha CDC-697 CD Player, Yamaha TT-500U Turntable, w/Signet TK5e, JBL ES100 Fronts, JBL LC2 Center, JBL ES30 Surrounds & 2 JBL ES250P Subwoofers
post #10716 of 11958 Old 02-23-2014, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Norseman View Post

An excellent 'rule of thumb' is: "NEVER run a firmware update if your component is already working the way you want it to!".
This is true for the AV8801, or any other piece of A/V gear IMO - just my two cents worth...rolleyes.gif

Agreed, and,++1

This is why I have opted to not perform the update to my 8801.

David Lynch Current Equipment: Marantz AV8801, Proceed HPA3, Parasound HCA-1206, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), Aerial Acoustics LR3's (sides), RBH in-walls (rears), Seaton Submersive, Marantz VP15s1, 106" Carada BW screen, Oppo BDP-103.
post #10717 of 11958 Old 02-23-2014, 12:24 PM

Liked: 19
Update completed this morning with no issues, changes in SQ or any prior set parameters. No problems.
post #10718 of 11958 Old 02-23-2014, 01:02 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post

Somehow, I thought the Home Theater EQ was only for Marantz AV8801 but finaly figure out my question and found some other stuff in the FAQ.
Here's my last setting before the movie for Sundays (can only watch a 2-3 hours movies, once a week due to work and family).

Anyone see something wrong with this or are OK with it?
Remember, small room with lots acoutics threatment and want to increase the high without killing the bass.
(click on my Avatar for some pictures at the bottom)

XT32 > Flat
MultEq >On
Home Theater EQ > Off
Dynamic EQ > On
Reference Level > 0 db
Dynamic Volume > Off
All speakers set to small > 80Hz

All comments are more than Welcome.

Ray

Ray I would have like a paper manual as well, but since one wasn't included I just went to the local copier and had them print it on 3 ring paper. I keep it in my AV cabinet so its close when ever I need to look a for reference. Vince
darthray likes this.

Thanks, Vince

Pioneer Kuro
Sony VPL-HW50
Marantz 8801
Oppo 103D
DirectV
XBOX 360
post #10719 of 11958 Old 02-23-2014, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by nixmikspop View Post

Any owners out there have problems with internet access? It was working fine the last time I used internet radio but today it kept telling me server connection failed when I tried it. I went to the network/diagnostics and it says Physical Connection OK Router Access OK but then says Internet Access Error. I reset my router, unplugged the CAT5e cable from bluray which I checked to make sure it was working properly, and plugged that into the Marantz and it still said the same thing. House internet is fine and I just can't figure this out..Any Ideas?? I did a search which didn't help. Thanks.

Has any of your internet hardware changed?

I had a connection problem when I first got my 8801 and I ended up having to get a different router than the one provided by Comcast.

Once I got my own router everything has been fine since.

Did you reset your modem or have your provider refresh your line?

Vary rarely is the 8801 the problem with internet connectivity.

David Ferebee
post #10720 of 11958 Old 02-23-2014, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by vince325 View Post

Ray I would have like a paper manual as well, but since one wasn't included I just went to the local copier and had them print it on 3 ring paper. I keep it in my AV cabinet so its close when ever I need to look a for reference. Vince

+1 Bet $15 I ever spent!! If you don't like 3 ring binders the copy places all have some plastic binder mechanism that makes a nice flat package.

David Ferebee
post #10721 of 11958 Old 02-23-2014, 02:52 PM
Just add water and stir

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by discodol View Post

+1 Bet $15 I ever spent!! If you don't like 3 ring binders the copy places all have some plastic binder mechanism that makes a nice flat package.

Nice plug for Staples and copy centers everywhere. You should get a check for every schmuck who is going to do this, myself included. tongue.gif

Having a hard copy is just plain useful when doing adjustments, and beats even having it loaded to a tablet...as the tablet goes to sleep during long periods of doing nothing...like me pressing buttons and then unpressing them! eek.gif
post #10722 of 11958 Old 02-23-2014, 02:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by nixmikspop View Post

Any owners out there have problems with internet access? It was working fine the last time I used internet radio but today it kept telling me server connection failed when I tried it. I went to the network/diagnostics and it says Physical Connection OK Router Access OK but then says Internet Access Error. I reset my router, unplugged the CAT5e cable from bluray which I checked to make sure it was working properly, and plugged that into the Marantz and it still said the same thing. House internet is fine and I just can't figure this out..Any Ideas?? I did a search which didn't help. Thanks.

One possibility is an IP address conflict with another device on your internal network.  I am not expert but I have found this to be a problem at time with dynamically-assigned addresses.  You can reboot the entire network and that will go away but it will not prevent it from recurring.  If that is the issue, you might consider assigning a fixed IP address for the Marantz.   (I check IP addresses using FING on my iPad.)

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #10723 of 11958 Old 02-23-2014, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOz View Post

Balanced at the XLR output but the signal path inside the av8801 is not fully balanced. Think that's what you mean.
Yup that's what I wanted to know. Thanks.
post #10724 of 11958 Old 02-23-2014, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

One possibility is an IP address conflict with another device on your internal network.  I am not expert but I have found this to be a problem at time with dynamically-assigned addresses.  You can reboot the entire network and that will go away but it will not prevent it from recurring.  If that is the issue, you might consider assigning a fixed IP address for the Marantz.   (I check IP addresses using FING on my iPad.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by discodol View Post

Has any of your internet hardware changed?

I had a connection problem when I first got my 8801 and I ended up having to get a different router than the one provided by Comcast.

Once I got my own router everything has been fine since.

Did you reset your modem or have your provider refresh your line?

Vary rarely is the 8801 the problem with internet connectivity.

Thank you both very much. The funny thing is that it worked perfect at first then I rewired everything and now it won't work . I even checked the connection that went to my Blu-ray player first(which is working great)and then switched that wire to the Marantz with no luck. I did a soft reset on the Marantz and reset the modem with no luck. I have changed wires and reset the routers with no luck. I will try FING and see what happens. Thanks for the help.
post #10725 of 11958 Old 02-23-2014, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Thanks for the Fing tip. It is a nice app.
I set my router to start a 100 and the rest are hard coded and I have no problems.
Another benefit is you can setup bookmarks to the Marantz (and others) configuration web pages.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #10726 of 11958 Old 02-23-2014, 04:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOz View Post

Yes, me too.  Think the topic came up before and I seemed to be in a very small minority.  Need to set my volume 10 dB higher than when I use my NAD M51 DAC. 
Listening at -6 dB for music is "loudish but comfortable".  Think my ears should be starting to hurt a little at that setting.

I use XLR. Ran the Audyssey set up twice.

yes agree. I too am using xlr and have not listened to music since running audyssey. Not saying it sounds bad but just seems to require more juice if you will. Perhaps it is my emotiva mps-2. Thoughts to changing it out but up to now been happy with it.

Don Lynch
post #10727 of 11958 Old 02-23-2014, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I'm sure you all are doing this but do you make sure to change to music audyssey mode? especially is you use the same source for both music and movie. Just a thought. I love music on the 8801 vs. my 80.3. Warmer and less fatiguing. Just pleasant.
post #10728 of 11958 Old 02-23-2014, 06:02 PM

Liked: 15
My UPDATE Experience was Awesome!
My Sound Quality has just gotten More Natural and BETTER!
I am Very Pleased indeed! smile.gif
post #10729 of 11958 Old 02-23-2014, 06:02 PM

smile.gif
post #10730 of 11958 Old 02-23-2014, 06:25 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by be83663 View Post

That great news and now I know I'm not imagining it.

Thanks, Vince

Pioneer Kuro
Sony VPL-HW50
Marantz 8801
Oppo 103D
DirectV
XBOX 360
post #10731 of 11958 Old 02-23-2014, 06:56 PM

Quick question re low volume in my set-up:  Actually, it's low even with Audyssey turned off, even in pure direct.  Still, Audyssey calibration sets all my speakers to negative trim.

If I manually raise all the trim levels by 6 dB, can you confirm that I will do no harm to Audyssey processing?

(adding 6 dB would give me trim range from -5.5 to +3.5)

post #10732 of 11958 Old 02-24-2014, 12:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:

Did the update while at lunch and not sure if I'm imagining it but my front and rear effects channels seem much more alive. I guess it could be all of them but I was watching the olympics speed skating and I was hearing the blades hit the ice all around me so cool. Any one else notice anything like this? Im running 9.2 CH just missing the front wides in my current setup.

No its not your imagination the details are there smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

I did the firmware update early today and thought the sound...didn't sound right. Unplugged power to the 8801 for a few minutes and after replugging it, it sound better but not as good as before the firmware update.

Probably just needs Audyssey to be rerun.

With that said, I don't see any improvements. If I had it to do over again, I'd not update the firmware.

Not the same sound but to my ears better smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlynch View Post

Agreed, and,++1

You don't want to miss this one, trust me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by be83663 View Post

Natural indeed its quite breath taking in fact, its a major change in the mid and lower mid bass to great effect its far cleaner and much more defined and is a welcomed increase in weight and body! I always new these details where there and new there location in the sound filed, but they are much more pronounced due to this change . Better sound top to bottom wink.gif

Quote:

That great news and now I know I'm not imagining it.

I noticed this right away but wanted any chance of placebo or pseudo acoustical trickery out of the way and put it out of my mind and got on with the weekend. After watching a few movies "Escape Plan" and the first "Thor" during the beginning of EP" there was some brass playing and as I watched I thought to my self wow that's really nice to hear in a movie and sound that good! The rest of the movie delivered a great soundtrack. Now Thor I've seen but this was the first time I gave it high praise as the 8801 put on a very impressive show one upping itself and I'm not joking around here guys!

The rest of the weekend I did intentional investigation on this as this was to good to be true from a an update but I'm someone who listens to there 8801 everyday and I feel compelled to go out on a limb here and sum it up in short as to what the benefits in sound are here from the update! and need more confirmation from users! And no guys your not crazy.

Lower noise floor
Cleaner top end
greater texture from the midrange
tighter deeper bass
better overall tonality

Thank you Marantz wink.gif
post #10733 of 11958 Old 02-24-2014, 02:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 407
Audiofan, is there any certain mode that sounds better to you? This holds true for music as well?

I haven't given my setup a good listen after the update, mainly because I've been sick.
post #10734 of 11958 Old 02-24-2014, 03:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

Audiofan, is there any certain mode that sounds better to you? This holds true for music as well?

I haven't given my setup a good listen after the update, mainly because I've been sick.

Sorry to hear that hope you get better soon smile.gif Its across the board on every source I tried including the XLR input which may due to the fact it runs through the HDAM ?? I'm a bit stomped by it and will have to look over the update notes again as I can't believe the increase in Fidelity !
post #10735 of 11958 Old 02-24-2014, 03:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

Sorry to hear that hope you get better soon smile.gif Its across the board on every source I tried including the XLR input which may due to the fact it runs through the HDAM ?? I'm a bit stomped by it and will have to look over the update notes again as I can't believe the increase in Fidelity !

Thanks smile.gif

Wow that's great, and I know they don't always tell us every update in the actual update. They definitely try and sneak things through.
post #10736 of 11958 Old 02-24-2014, 04:00 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^^ Yeah! it is this was announced as a major update and from looking at the changelog its some pretty extensive stuff and looks like they had to go deep into the architecture of the unit and may be the result, I'm planing on contacting them to see what info i can get on it, as you can tell its something very obvious to detect and there aren't any negatives here, all the things you love about the 8801 are still there but seriously better smile.gif

here's the changelog

6. 2/19/2014
1) Crestron update
2) Sirius XM API2.0
3) When DTS-HD MA 96k audio is streamed, there is noise or no output
4) Noise from DD+ stream from Netflix
5) WMA 11/12 files not playing
6) Noise from WAV file in NAS (Twonky Server 7) via remote app
7) MSLEFT and MSRIGHT of the AMX command
8) Noise between tracks of FLAC file
9) No communication with Buffalo LInkStation
10) No sound from SW in PURE DIRECT
11) Dialogue Enhancer set by Menu is not memorized
12) When connected Server shuts down in the Resume play of Last Sation of iRadio, the browsing of iRadio cannot be done
13) AMP ASSIGN 7.1 + Zone 2, unable to choose SB/FH/FW
Edited by exm - 2/20/14 at 9:38am
post #10737 of 11958 Old 02-24-2014, 04:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Regarding number 10) No sound from SW in Pure Direct

Isn't that what is to be expected since there is no audio processing being performed in Pure Direct? It all goes to your speakers?

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #10738 of 11958 Old 02-24-2014, 04:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

^^^^ Yeah! it is this was announced as a major update and from looking at the changelog its some pretty extensive stuff and looks like they had to go deep into the architecture of the unit and may be the result, I'm planing on contacting them to see what info i can get on it, as you can tell its something very obvious to detect and there aren't any negatives here, all the things you love about the 8801 are still there but seriously better smile.gif

here's the changelog

6. 2/19/2014
1) Crestron update
2) Sirius XM API2.0
3) When DTS-HD MA 96k audio is streamed, there is noise or no output
4) Noise from DD+ stream from Netflix
5) WMA 11/12 files not playing
6) Noise from WAV file in NAS (Twonky Server 7) via remote app
7) MSLEFT and MSRIGHT of the AMX command
8) Noise between tracks of FLAC file
9) No communication with Buffalo LInkStation
10) No sound from SW in PURE DIRECT
11) Dialogue Enhancer set by Menu is not memorized
12) When connected Server shuts down in the Resume play of Last Sation of iRadio, the browsing of iRadio cannot be done
13) AMP ASSIGN 7.1 + Zone 2, unable to choose SB/FH/FW
Edited by exm - 2/20/14 at 9:38am

I looked it over then other day and yeah it appears they dug pretty deep with this one.

I would appreciate if you would share what Marantz had to say.
audiofan1 likes this.
post #10739 of 11958 Old 02-24-2014, 04:31 AM

Hi Folks,

I just updated yesterday. I'm finding that my DTS Neo X Cinema or Music doesnt show up as an option now until I put a DTS-MA disc into my Oppo 103?

When I just power on, I see PlIx + Audyssey H+W, where before I would default to DTS Neo X Cinema...?
post #10740 of 11958 Old 02-24-2014, 05:10 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlynch View Post

Agreed, and,++1

Agree Im waiting for a couple of months before I do it, just in case...

Frank

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Ken Kreisel Dxd 12012 Subwoofer , Marantz Av8801 , Receivers Amplifiers , Audyssey , Integra
Gear in this thread - Av8801 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page