Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread - Page 361 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #10801 of 11845 Old 02-26-2014, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
comfynumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Northeast PA.
Posts: 4,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

The 8801 has a dedicated "phono input". You have to use that one to connect directly to the turntable. It applies the RIAA correction curve needed to get a flat (accurate) audio response from a record. None of the other inputs do that.

Alternatively, you can purchase an 3rd party phono preamp which applies the correct compensation. Then you can use any of the analog stereo inputs.



Hi Selden,


Understood and I've been using the 8801's phono input but I decided to try an aftermarket phono stage.

I had it hooked into the analog CD input. I'm assuming all the analog inputs on the 8801 are exactly the same but I just wanted to confirm.
comfynumb is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #10802 of 11845 Old 02-26-2014, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
comfynumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Northeast PA.
Posts: 4,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 406
I'm not much of a believer in electronics "breaking in" really, but there's no denying my little ART phono preamp sounded like crap when I first hooked it up. To the point I almost boxed it up and sent it back within an hour after it's delivery.

I'm glad I didn't and have to say after an hour it does sound really good with the 8801. It has more bass and a bigger soundstage than the stock phono input. It makes you wonder how much better it can get.
audiofan1 likes this.
comfynumb is offline  
post #10803 of 11845 Old 02-26-2014, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 6,398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Yup, the line-level inputs all should handle signals the same way, If it sounds bad, I'd tend to blame the preamp and/or its cabling. Maybe the signal coming from the preamp is saturating the CD input and/or clipping. Also, the cables between the pramp and the turntable should be as short as possible in order to minimize noise pickup on the preamp's inputs.

Selden
Selden Ball is offline  
post #10804 of 11845 Old 02-26-2014, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
comfynumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Northeast PA.
Posts: 4,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

Yup, the line-level inputs all should handle signals the same way, If it sounds bad, I'd tend to blame the preamp and/or its cabling. Maybe the signal coming from the preamp is saturating the CD input and/or clipping. Also, the cables between the pramp and the turntable should be as short as possible in order to minimize noise pickup on the preamp's inputs.



I think I'm covered as far as cables go. Both cables are BJC, the one from the deck to the preamp is 3' and the one from the preamp to the 8801 is only 1' long. There's also a gain control and a light starts glowing if things clip.

But you are right they tend to pick up every little bit of noise and I had to move a couple of other wires.

It does sound very good now smile.gif
comfynumb is offline  
post #10805 of 11845 Old 02-26-2014, 01:27 PM
Member
 
jt-hifi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post


If you want to use the tone control with Audyssey, you must turn Dynamic EQ off and it will then be accessible, to restore the lost bass try boosting the sub 3-5 db! wink.gif

Thanks Audiofan1, I had tried that before, when the Dynamic EQ is off, the sound becomes totally anemic across the full range - not just the lower bass range. So, it's really not a solution. I just wish there is a way to copy the Audyssey curve over to the EQ so I can fine tune it to my preference. I know I can copy the Audyssey Flat curve over but it just sounds too anemic no matter how much I adjust the EQ manually.

All in all, this is the best firmware update in my opinion yet - it really improves the sonic quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

Agreed. The best analogy I have read recently is that your room is 50% of the speaker and your real speakers are just a speaker inside the bigger speaker. If you don't invest in the bigger speaker (your room), the smaller speakers (the real speakers) will never sound their best.

Frohlic, ComfyNumb, et al - I can't agree with you more, room treatment is critical. I lay down a throw rug in the listening room, it immediately tamed the harsh top end. I'm still trying to convince my wife to let me install the wall treatments. Some of them are rather decorative looking nowadays which may help the WAF.

Thanks,
JT
jt-hifi is offline  
post #10806 of 11845 Old 02-26-2014, 01:32 PM
Member
 
jt-hifi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Do any of you know how to defeat the automatic offset Dial.Norm -x db for dialogue normalization correction when connected to an HDMI or digital source? I have a Comcast Motorola cable box connected to AV8801, the HDMI input or coaxial digital would step down its db automatically, I had to increase the volume gain by 15 dbs or so, even then it still sounds anemic as compared to the analog RCA input. Appreciate your help.

Thanks,
JT
jt-hifi is offline  
post #10807 of 11845 Old 02-26-2014, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 6,398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

Yup, the line-level inputs all should handle signals the same way, If it sounds bad, I'd tend to blame the preamp and/or its cabling. Maybe the signal coming from the preamp is saturating the CD input and/or clipping. Also, the cables between the pramp and the turntable should be as short as possible in order to minimize noise pickup on the preamp's inputs.



I think I'm covered as far as cables go. Both cables are BJC, the one from the deck to the preamp is 3'
If you mean 3 feet, I'd feel more comfortable with a much shorter cable.
Quote:
and the one from the preamp to the 8801 is only 1' long.
line-level signals (like the output of the preamp) can go quite a bit farther than phono outputs for the same noise level. In other words, I'd put the preamp as close to the turntable as possible. But if it sounds good now, that's all that really matters.
Quote:
There's also a gain control and a light starts glowing if things clip.

But you are right they tend to pick up every little bit of noise and I had to move a couple of other wires.

It does sound very good now smile.gif
Great!

Selden
Selden Ball is offline  
post #10808 of 11845 Old 02-26-2014, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
comfynumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Northeast PA.
Posts: 4,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

If you mean 3 feet, I'd feel more comfortable with a much shorter cable.
line-level signals (like the output of the preamp) can go quite a bit farther than phono outputs for the same noise level. In other words, I'd put the preamp as close to the turntable as possible. But if it sounds good now, that's all that really matters.
Great!



Ahhh I see what your saying switch the cables around and put the short one by the deck. Your a smart guy Selden! I was going for looks and picking up a hum every once in awhile.

I have a dedicated power supply coming for it because I've never been keen on wall warts powering key components. I'll switch the cables around like you suggested while I'm wiring things.

Thanks for the tips!
comfynumb is offline  
post #10809 of 11845 Old 02-26-2014, 05:49 PM
Member
 
JDOz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14

I'm trying to find the best settings & setup for my system (& ears) specifically for 2 CH music sources into FL & FR only or maybe utilise a sub.  Hoping you can help reduce the number of permutations I need to test. An answer to any of these questions would be appreciated.

 

Does pressing the "music" button vs. "movie" make any difference if selecting stereo or auto for both?

...and would selecting audyssey bypass L&R be the same as Audyssey off.

Is Audyssey Flat more appropriate for 2CH music than Audyssey?

 

Am I correct to assume that if using analog-in, the sound processing applied will be identical for XLR-In vs. any pair of RCA-In (excluding phono or 7.1-In)?

...and analog-in being identical to HDMI-In or coax-In (except for DAC & ADC stages)?

 

FYI; I tried using FL & FR inputs from the 7.1 set (to avoid any processing) and it sounded dreadful. Not sure what I did wrong.

JDOz is offline  
post #10810 of 11845 Old 02-26-2014, 07:31 PM
Senior Member
 
dlynch34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Charlotte,NC
Posts: 215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

No, Audyssey does not have to run again. I downloaded the firmware today and checked all my audyssey settings and everything was exactly as it was before the download.


I am no expert and perhaps you are correct. Maybe your audyssey settings have not changed but the sonic features of the firmware upgrade may have. This was common practice whenever I did a firmware update on my anthem. Rerunning Audyssey might be a prudent step and really cannot hurt. Having said that if you are happy with the sound then why really bother....


just my 2 cents..

Don Lynch
dlynch34 is offline  
post #10811 of 11845 Old 02-26-2014, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member
 
darthray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Cold lake Alberta Canada
Posts: 785
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOz View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post

Thanks for the reply!


This is the last thing, I did expected as a reply.


I do not quit understand since I have not done any firmware re-loading.

So, does this mean that I back to square one and need to do a firmware up-dated and re-do a calibration, then follow your instruction?

If I need to do an firmware up-grade, where do I find-it?

Or, just do as per your instruction and re-input my setting for my preference setting?


I realy thought that I stuble under the MultEQ setting by mistake and could not find where it was under, since I did not pay attention.



Ray
My apologies. Thought you'd done the update already.  Suggest you keep it simple and follow my previous instructions without doing the update for now.

See my next post if you want to update firmware later. Remember it takes 1 hour.

Thanks for the reply

I have seen the answer of "if you do an update that the Marantz Will save the Audyssey measurement".
But not sure about this one since it's about a re-set.
Set-up...Speakers...Audyssey Setup...select "Restore" and enter.
Then go to Audio menu...Audyssey...MultiEQ to turn Audyssey back on (if it doesn't automatically happen in the prior step).

So just to be clear;
follow your instruction and the Audyssey will still remember my room reading from my previous calibration?
Sure hope so, if not I have to wait to find time to redo a full 8 point reading.

I have not done any update since I use my system for 99% movies and 1% music, and from what I read about the update is all for other stuff.

Anyway, a big thanks to help an old dog (should I say cat since I am a cat person) like me that is NOT computer savy.


Ray

Birthdays are good for you
The more you have
The longer you live
darthray is offline  
post #10812 of 11845 Old 02-26-2014, 08:12 PM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 42,819
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 1302
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt-hifi View Post

Do any of you know how to defeat the automatic offset Dial.Norm -x db for dialogue normalization correction when connected to an HDMI or digital source? I have a Comcast Motorola cable box connected to AV8801, the HDMI input or coaxial digital would step down its db automatically, I had to increase the volume gain by 15 dbs or so, even then it still sounds anemic as compared to the analog RCA input. Appreciate your help.

The DialNorm setting is embedded in the audio track and cannot be defeated.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #10813 of 11845 Old 02-26-2014, 08:33 PM
Member
 
JDOz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post


Thanks for the reply

I have seen the answer of "if you do an update that the Marantz Will save the Audyssey measurement".
But not sure about this one since it's about a re-set.
Set-up...Speakers...Audyssey Setup...select "Restore" and enter.
Then go to Audio menu...Audyssey...MultiEQ to turn Audyssey back on (if it doesn't automatically happen in the prior step).

So just to be clear;
follow your instruction and the Audyssey will still remember my room reading from my previous calibration?
Sure hope so, if not I have to wait to find time to redo a full 8 point reading.

I have not done any update since I use my system for 99% movies and 1% music, and from what I read about the update is all for other stuff.

Anyway, a big thanks to help an old dog (should I say cat since I am a cat person) like me that is NOT computer savy.


Ray

I'm new to the Marantz and was also nervous to press "restore".  I did it anyway and had no problems; Audyssey settings remained and no new calibration was needed.

 

I don't know why we both had this problem of Audyssey vanishing from the menu settings but "restore" seems to be the way to apply the settings from your last calibration. It is NOT a factory reset.

 

Immediately forget this next part if it makes you more nervous:

When you go speakers...Audyssey Setup just pause for a while and look at the options before you press any more buttons. Your next button is going to be the arrow-up button.

Tip 1:  be careful not to accidentally press "enter" while "start" is selected.

Tip 2: If now or in the future you are worried that you might have lost your last calibration data, select and press "check results", then "levels".  You'll see numbers there. Audyssey made them during your last calibration. Unless they are all zero, you haven't lost your calibration data.

darthray likes this.
JDOz is offline  
post #10814 of 11845 Old 02-26-2014, 09:00 PM
Member
 
jt-hifi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

The DialNorm setting is embedded in the audio track and cannot be defeated.

Thanks, JDSmoothie. Your explanation makes sense, I agree it's embedded in the Dolby/audio track. But, what I don't understand is that my old Denon 5308 also had the offset but its volume sounded at the normal level. Whereas, the AV8801 suppresses the HDMI or coaxial digital input so much so that it makes listening totally uninvolving, even turning the volume up by 15 to 20 dbs. I had to switch over to analog input which bypasses the AV8801 codec, though the volume level improves, it just doesn't sound good. I wonder if anybody is having the same issue, or anybody has any suggestion to overcome this. I had switched the cable boxes, same problem. I had also tried to increase the input level but it would increase the noise floor/distortion.

Thanks,
JT
jt-hifi is offline  
post #10815 of 11845 Old 02-26-2014, 09:12 PM
Member
 
JDOz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt-hifi View Post


Thanks, JDSmoothie. Your explanation makes sense, I agree it's embedded in the Dolby/audio track. But, what I don't understand is that my old Denon 5308 also had the offset but its volume sounded at the normal level. Whereas, the AV8801 suppresses the HDMI or coaxial digital input so much so that it makes listening totally uninvolving, even turning the volume up by 15 to 20 dbs. I had to switch over to analog input which bypasses the AV8801 codec, though the volume level improves, it just doesn't sound good. I wonder if anybody is having the same issue, or anybody has any suggestion to overcome this. I had switched the cable boxes, same problem. I had also tried to increase the input level but it would increase the noise floor/distortion.

I also have very low volume from av8801 so follow that topic with interest.  In your case, though, just checking whether you have an activated volume control on the cable box itself; and if yes, whether it is set to max.

jt-hifi likes this.
JDOz is offline  
post #10816 of 11845 Old 02-27-2014, 06:21 AM
Member
 
jt-hifi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOz View Post

I also have very low volume from av8801 so follow that topic with interest.  In your case, though, just checking whether you have an activated volume control on the cable box itself; and if yes, whether it is set to max.

The cable box volume unfortunately can't be set. It indicates that it's already at the optimized level about 80% up, very close to max. Funny thing is that the same cable box was working fine with Denon AVR and didn't have the volume problem. Hopefully somebody can tell us if there is a setting in AV8801 that we can try. Thanks JDOz.

Thanks,
JT
jt-hifi is offline  
post #10817 of 11845 Old 02-27-2014, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 6,832
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt-hifi View Post

I just finished the update under an hour without a hitch. The sound quality has improved in the low to mid range but the high hasn't changed. I wish there is a way to pump up the treble in Audyssey mode. Does anybody know if there is a way to enable tonal control in the Audyssey mode? Alternatively, if there is a way to copy the Audyssey curve (not Audyssey Flat) to Graphics EQ mode that allows me to adjust EQ from there. I do know where to find the tonal control and EQ are enabled when Audyssey mode is not in use.

I still have my NAD 3240PE (40 wpc) integrated amp from 1988 connected to B&W Nautilus 802's in the basement. The system sounds punchier in bass without a sub, sweater, clearer with more well-defined mid and high than my AV8801 system consisting of Emotiva 1000W Monoblocks+B&W 802D's+3 subs in my 2-story family room. I suppose the AV8801 should have far more capabilities than my cheapo NAD but it just doesn't have the simple tonal control like the NAD for me to use in the Audyssey mode where it's very much needed to fine tune the sound. I do realize it's not a valid comparison as my family room with many openings adjacent rooms and it's much larger and somewhat acoustically harsh but it does make me wonder that the AV preprocessor may have way too many functions to perform than to dedicate its focus on reproducing the high quality sound which after all is the most important. I got a kick out of people saying the receiver is like the fast food of audio, trying to do too much. I'm still amazed the dirt cheap good old NAD system still outperforms by a margin while I regret having to spend many times more on AV8801 to pursue for audio nirvana. Sadly, that dream remains unfullfilled...

Do you have any way to measure a freq. response of both systems? It should speak novels on what you are hearing. It is quite common that without a room EQ software like audyssey, that people tend to bump the bass up naturally when listening to music. If you have done that all along and then let Audyssey drag your bottom end back down to a flat target curve, you are not going to necessarily like it. I for one dont for music. and will explain my overall preference below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOz View Post

I'm trying to find the best settings & setup for my system (& ears) specifically for 2 CH music sources into FL & FR only or maybe utilise a sub.  Hoping you can help reduce the number of permutations I need to test. An answer to any of these questions would be appreciated.

Does pressing the "music" button vs. "movie" make any difference if selecting stereo or auto for both?
...and would selecting audyssey bypass L&R be the same as Audyssey off.
Is Audyssey Flat more appropriate for 2CH music than Audyssey?

Am I correct to assume that if using analog-in, the sound processing applied will be identical for XLR-In vs. any pair of RCA-In (excluding phono or 7.1-In)?
...and analog-in being identical to HDMI-In or coax-In (except for DAC & ADC stages)?

FYI; I tried using FL & FR inputs from the 7.1 set (to avoid any processing) and it sounded dreadful. Not sure what I did wrong.

Try holding down the music and movie buttons for all kinds of options for listening modes.

Audyssey bypass is NOT audyssey off. It simply turns the eqing of your main left and right speakers off. I use this ALL of the time for music listening. I feel audyssey completely neuters my soundstage, and sucks every bit of life out of my musical tracks so I bypass LR to get a native response from my mains, un adulterated, but still get the nice EQing in the bass and surrounds. Audyssey does work nicely for movies, so I do usually run it for that, but once again, never for any 2 channel source material.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlynch34 View Post

I am no expert and perhaps you are correct. Maybe your audyssey settings have not changed but the sonic features of the firmware upgrade may have. This was common practice whenever I did a firmware update on my anthem. Rerunning Audyssey might be a prudent step and really cannot hurt. Having said that if you are happy with the sound then why really bother....


just my 2 cents..

I am curious about your findings. Why do you think you have to crank the volume that much higher on the 8801 to get the same "impact" you did on the anthem? Do you still have the Anthem? Can I experiment with it please?!?!?! Haha. I will even come pick it up smile.gif

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

 

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

 

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

beastaudio is offline  
post #10818 of 11845 Old 02-27-2014, 11:24 AM
Member
 
crankbearing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post


Audyssey bypass is NOT audyssey off. It simply turns the eqing of your main left and right speakers off. I use this ALL of the time for music listening. I feel audyssey completely neuters my soundstage, and sucks every bit of life out of my musical tracks so I bypass LR to get a native response from my mains, un adulterated, but still get the nice EQing in the bass and surrounds. Audyssey does work nicely for movies, so I do usually run it for that, but once again, never for any 2 channel source material.

What sound mode are you using for 2 CH playback. I thought on analog inputs in Direct or Pure Direct shut of all or most processing (including audyssey) and (video in puredirect) unless an hdmi set to 2CH source. Is this not the case?

I always use puredirect as I find a bass boost with direct that I do not like and I never thought to go in and check audyssey settings, although I could not do that in pure direct mode anyhow only in direct with video still enabled.
crankbearing is offline  
post #10819 of 11845 Old 02-27-2014, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 6,832
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankbearing View Post

What sound mode are you using for 2 CH playback. I thought on analog inputs in Direct or Pure Direct shut of all or most processing (including audyssey) and (video in puredirect) unless an hdmi set to 2CH source. Is this not the case?

I always use puredirect as I find a bass boost with direct that I do not like and I never thought to go in and check audyssey settings, although I could not do that in pure direct mode anyhow only in direct with video still enabled.

I use good ole stereo, as well as direct to run the mains full range, at times. Direct should bypass and audyssey as well, so I guess that is an option, but using stereo I can still get good stuff from audyssey in the bass dept.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

 

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

 

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

beastaudio is offline  
post #10820 of 11845 Old 02-27-2014, 12:37 PM
Member
 
jt-hifi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt-hifi View Post

The cable box volume unfortunately can't be set. It indicates that it's already at the optimized level about 80% up, very close to max. Funny thing is that the same cable box was working fine with Denon AVR and didn't have the volume problem. Hopefully somebody can tell us if there is a setting in AV8801 that we can try. Thanks JDOz.


Thanks JDOz. Your reply prompted me to research the cable box end. I found out why the volume was low, the Comcast cable box had a volume locked. All it needed was a release of the lock. Nothing to do with AV8801. Here is the instructions: http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-and-Equipment/Control-audio-on-cable-box-instead-of-TV/m-p/1116029#M39642

Thanks,
JT
jt-hifi is offline  
post #10821 of 11845 Old 02-27-2014, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
comfynumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Northeast PA.
Posts: 4,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankbearing View Post

What sound mode are you using for 2 CH playback. I thought on analog inputs in Direct or Pure Direct shut of all or most processing (including audyssey) and (video in puredirect) unless an hdmi set to 2CH source. Is this not the case?

I always use puredirect as I find a bass boost with direct that I do not like and I never thought to go in and check audyssey settings, although I could not do that in pure direct mode anyhow only in direct with video still enabled.



For analog 2 channel the 8801 does an excellent job in plain old stereo. But throws a huge soundstage and sounds much "bigger" than I've heard on other setups. Of course this isn't all the 8801's doing, I've complimented it well wink.gif

Add this to the list of things the Marantz does well, which is getting pretty lengthy biggrin.gif
comfynumb is offline  
post #10822 of 11845 Old 02-27-2014, 05:44 PM
Member
 
JDOz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt-hifi View Post


Thanks JDOz. Your reply prompted me to research the cable box end. I found out why the volume was low, the Comcast cable box had a volume locked. All it needed was a release of the lock. Nothing to do with AV8801. Here is the instructions: http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-and-Equipment/Control-audio-on-cable-box-instead-of-TV/m-p/1116029#M39642

Great news. :)  Glad you found a fix. Thought your volume issue sounded way more severe than mine so must be in cable box.

JDOz is offline  
post #10823 of 11845 Old 02-27-2014, 06:10 PM
Member
 
JDOz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post


I use good ole stereo, as well as direct to run the mains full range, at times. Direct should bypass and audyssey as well, so I guess that is an option, but using stereo I can still get good stuff from audyssey in the bass dept.

On this forum I've learnt a lot (thanks to all) but have already forgotten a fair chunk of that.  Maybe someone can chime in. This is ONLY about playing a music PCM 2.0 source like CDs. Assume we will not select any option that outputs from the centre or surround channels.

 

Is selecting stereo under music different from stereo under movie? e.g. Audyssey flat used in music or some other more musical processing.

 

Wouldn't selecting auto be the same as selecting stereo (since it will detect PCM 2.0)?

 

What audio processing is not disabled in direct and pure direct?

 

If stereo is selected, wouldn't "Audyssey bypass L&R" be the same as Audyssey off?

JDOz is offline  
post #10824 of 11845 Old 02-27-2014, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member
 
darthray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Cold lake Alberta Canada
Posts: 785
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOz View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post

Thanks for the reply


I have seen the answer of "if you do an update that the Marantz Will save the Audyssey measurement".

But not sure about this one since it's about a re-set.

Set-up...Speakers...Audyssey Setup...select "Restore" and enter.

Then go to Audio menu...Audyssey...MultiEQ to turn Audyssey back on (if it doesn't automatically happen in the prior step).


So just to be clear;

follow your instruction and the Audyssey will still remember my room reading from my previous calibration?

Sure hope so, if not I have to wait to find time to redo a full 8 point reading.


I have not done any update since I use my system for 99% movies and 1% music, and from what I read about the update is all for other stuff.


Anyway, a big thanks to help an old dog (should I say cat since I am a cat person) like me that is NOT computer savy.



Ray
I'm new to the Marantz and was also nervous to press "restore".  I did it anyway and had no problems; Audyssey settings remained and no new calibration was needed.

I don't know why we both had this problem of Audyssey vanishing from the menu settings but "restore" seems to be the way to apply the settings from your last calibration. It is NOT a factory reset.

Immediately forget this next part if it makes you more nervous:
When you go speakers...Audyssey Setup just pause for a while and look at the options before you press any more buttons. Your next button is going to be the arrow-up button.
Tip 1:  be careful not to accidentally press "enter" while "start" is selected.
Tip 2: If now or in the future you are worried that you might have lost your last calibration data, select and press "check results", then "levels".  You'll see numbers there. Audyssey made them during your last calibration. Unless they are all zero, you haven't lost your calibration data.

Thank you so much!
Very helpful information!

I will try your instructions this week-end when I got a chance.
Crossing my fingers that it all go well.

to quote you "I don't know why we both had this problem of Audyssey vanishing from the menu settings but "restore" seems to be the way to apply the settings from your last calibration. It is NOT a factory reset." I don't get it either.

Again, thank you.
You have been more than helpful to me, and maybe to some others that do not post but have the patience to read and learn from other.

Ray

Birthdays are good for you
The more you have
The longer you live
darthray is offline  
post #10825 of 11845 Old 02-27-2014, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member
 
darthray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Cold lake Alberta Canada
Posts: 785
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOz View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

I use good ole stereo, as well as direct to run the mains full range, at times. Direct should bypass and audyssey as well, so I guess that is an option, but using stereo I can still get good stuff from audyssey in the bass dept.
On this forum I've learnt a lot (thanks to all) but have already forgotten a fair chunk of that.  Maybe someone can chime in. This is ONLY about playing a music PCM 2.0 source like CDs. Assume we will not select any option that outputs from the centre or surround channels.

Is selecting stereo under music different from stereo under movie? e.g. Audyssey flat used in music or some other more musical processing.

Wouldn't selecting auto be the same as selecting stereo (since it will detect PCM 2.0)?

What audio processing is not disabled in direct and pure direct?

If stereo is selected, wouldn't "Audyssey bypass L&R" be the same as Audyssey off?

I will try to help you but none are fact (just from my memory reading through).


Is selecting stereo under music different from stereo under movie? e.g. Audyssey flat used in music or some other more musical processing.
All I know is according to some previous answer is that you can set each source to your preference of Audyssey on and flavor or Off.

Wouldn't selecting auto be the same as selecting stereo (since it will detect PCM 2.0)?
No clue.

If stereo is selected, wouldn't "Audyssey bypass L&R" be the same as Audyssey off?
I think, the Audyssey is still engage for your subs (if you use-it) but leave your main un-filter.

All the above could be wrong, Like I said from memory.

Hopefully some other members with more knowledge can chime in.

Ray

Birthdays are good for you
The more you have
The longer you live
darthray is offline  
post #10826 of 11845 Old 02-28-2014, 04:33 AM
Member
 
crankbearing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

For analog 2 channel the 8801 does an excellent job in plain old stereo. But throws a huge soundstage and sounds much "bigger" than I've heard on other setups. Of course this isn't all the 8801's doing, I've complimented it well wink.gif

Add this to the list of things the Marantz does well, which is getting pretty lengthy biggrin.gif

I have not tried the stereo mode since I installed the 8801. Stereo mode uses the sub as well does it not I will try it out this weekend and play around a bit with it, I am not sure though I am trying to get a read on a set of Kimber 8tc speaker cables I picked up, the new style not the old blue and black, my B&W CM-10 really do well in the low end and adding a sub to the mix is not something I want to do. In fact, my sub a 10" Kef is tucked away in the corner and it does it's job well when it is required.

I watched Man of Steel BD yesterday and one thing I noticed in trying to get the center channel boosted a little, There are no Dolby or DTS sound modes available with that track playing, it is a 5.1 DTS HD Master I think. Has anyone else noticed that? So on that note, where are you all running Dynamic Volume if any. The centre channel seems a lot louder or clearer with less total volume. I have a B&W CM Centre (I should have upgrade to a CM2 when I got the 10's I think) and find that it is very dull and I am always adjusting to get that perfect volume. The center channel emphasis setting never seems to make any difference to me. Audyssey set the center to +1 db and all the rest of my speakers are -4 to 5 db; so the cm seems a little dead or power hungry to me. I need to go and check the specs on it.

rgds,

Dave
crankbearing is offline  
post #10827 of 11845 Old 02-28-2014, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
comfynumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Northeast PA.
Posts: 4,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankbearing View Post

I have not tried the stereo mode since I installed the 8801. Stereo mode uses the sub as well does it not I will try it out this weekend and play around a bit with it, I am not sure though I am trying to get a read on a set of Kimber 8tc speaker cables I picked up, the new style not the old blue and black, my B&W CM-10 really do well in the low end and adding a sub to the mix is not something I want to do. In fact, my sub a 10" Kef is tucked away in the corner and it does it's job well when it is required.

I watched Man of Steel BD yesterday and one thing I noticed in trying to get the center channel boosted a little, There are no Dolby or DTS sound modes available with that track playing, it is a 5.1 DTS HD Master I think. Has anyone else noticed that? So on that note, where are you all running Dynamic Volume if any. The centre channel seems a lot louder or clearer with less total volume. I have a B&W CM Centre (I should have upgrade to a CM2 when I got the 10's I think) and find that it is very dull and I am always adjusting to get that perfect volume. The center channel emphasis setting never seems to make any difference to me. Audyssey set the center to +1 db and all the rest of my speakers are -4 to 5 db; so the cm seems a little dead or power hungry to me. I need to go and check the specs on it.

rgds,

Dave



You can disable the sub(s) per your liking.

Hold down the red movie button on the 8801 remote, that will bring up DTS or TrueHD. If that doesn't do it, turn the secondary audio off in your BD player.

Your using HDMI from your player to the 8801 I'm assuming?
comfynumb is offline  
post #10828 of 11845 Old 02-28-2014, 05:04 AM
Member
 
crankbearing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

You can disable the sub(s) per your liking.

Hold down the red movie button on the 8801 remote, that will bring up DTS or TrueHD. If that doesn't do it, turn the secondary audio off in your BD player.

Your using HDMI from your player to the 8801 I'm assuming?


Yes I will try it out this weekend and see. on the modes, I was streaming via hdmi from my htpc (xbmc) movie stored on my server and yes I held down the button and only stereo, DTS-HD Master, multi-channel st, and the virtual were available. Tried another dts-hd movie after that and all modes were available.

Dave
crankbearing is offline  
post #10829 of 11845 Old 02-28-2014, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jima4a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Southeast USA
Posts: 1,423
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankbearing View Post

I have not tried the stereo mode since I installed the 8801. Stereo mode uses the sub as well does it not I will try it out this weekend and play around a bit with it, I am not sure though I am trying to get a read on a set of Kimber 8tc speaker cables I picked up, the new style not the old blue and black, my B&W CM-10 really do well in the low end and adding a sub to the mix is not something I want to do. In fact, my sub a 10" Kef is tucked away in the corner and it does it's job well when it is required.

I watched Man of Steel BD yesterday and one thing I noticed in trying to get the center channel boosted a little, There are no Dolby or DTS sound modes available with that track playing, it is a 5.1 DTS HD Master I think. Has anyone else noticed that? So on that note, where are you all running Dynamic Volume if any. The centre channel seems a lot louder or clearer with less total volume. I have a B&W CM Centre (I should have upgrade to a CM2 when I got the 10's I think) and find that it is very dull and I am always adjusting to get that perfect volume. The center channel emphasis setting never seems to make any difference to me. Audyssey set the center to +1 db and all the rest of my speakers are -4 to 5 db; so the cm seems a little dead or power hungry to me. I need to go and check the specs on it.

rgds,

Dave
From everything I have read, the CMC2 is notably better than the CMC. There also is a push from owners of CM10s to make a new center to match the 10s.

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, DBP 2010, Samsung BD-C7900, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650. Sitting still CCM616, Kef...
jima4a is offline  
post #10830 of 11845 Old 02-28-2014, 09:08 AM
Member
 
807recordings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I am considering getting a AV7701 but I have a question that I been trying to search out with not much luck.
As I am considering upgrading my Oppo BDP 83 to 105 or 103 I am wondering how good the qualities of the DAC is on the Marantz?
Anyone compared and found a great difference or any? This could be a big factor in which piece I will go with next. Currently I am still on the SR-8500 and it sounds good.
807recordings is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Ken Kreisel Dxd 12012 Subwoofer , Marantz Av8801 , Receivers Amplifiers , Audyssey , Integra
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off