post #10891 of 11956 Old 03-09-2014, 10:55 AM
Just add water and stir

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

You might consider contacting Microsoft about it. The XBox One's software is still being worked on, so they probably can be persuaded to add more audio devices to what it supports.

Dear Microsoft,

Please help me with getting my device added.

Sincerely,
Zulu

Dear Zulu,

Who are you? And how many shareholders do you represent?

With warmest regards,
Big Corporation

rolleyes.gif

LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10892 of 11956 Old 03-09-2014, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuluwalker View Post

Welcome to the club!

Cheers... the thing still has to ship, but it certainly seems like a not-terrible time to jump aboard, even with HDMI 2.0 on the horizon... smile.gif

Will be interesting to see how 2ch and analogue audio is different on it - no doubt that Audessey is likely to be much more beneficial in my room (I barely used it on my 9.8), but we'll see how it all plays out with the rest of my setup.

post #10893 of 11956 Old 03-09-2014, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Need help on this!

My front panel always display Pro-logic IIx Movie on start-up.
And when playing movie that are 5.1, the seven speaker light display are all On.

Look through out the manual and there is so many option!
What I would like is if a movie is Dolby 5.1 or 7.1 or DTS 5.1 or 7.1 is to play it in the recorded format.
I do have a 7.2 system but if a movie is recorded in 5.1, I prefer to listen to it that way and not add the rear speaker as extra decoding.

Would pressing the Direct button on the remote do that or is for stereo only.

Ray

Birthdays are good for you
The more you have
The longer you live
post #10894 of 11956 Old 03-09-2014, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Feature request if anyone from Marantz is listening:

12 Volt trigger delay of 1 second between triggers so that you don't trip breakers if you have a lot of amps that draw power. Especially the pro amps don't necessarily have soft start circuits.

Blazar!
post #10895 of 11956 Old 03-09-2014, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post

Need help on this!

And when playing movie that are 5.1, the seven speaker light display are all On.

What I would like is if a movie is Dolby 5.1 or 7.1 or DTS 5.1 or 7.1 is to play it in the recorded format.
I do have a 7.2 system but if a movie is recorded in 5.1, I prefer to listen to it that way and not add the rear speaker as extra decoding.

Ray
Hold the movie button down gives you various options, if you have the iApp you can select auto which I find defaults to what the disc is outputting
darthray likes this.
post #10896 of 11956 Old 03-09-2014, 03:00 PM

Liked: 18
All of a sudden. the information on the front display of my 8801 has changed. The display used to show the input selection as well as the boxes for the input signal and the output signal. Perhaps coincidentally, the trigger that controls my 7-channel amp has stopped working. I rebooted the 8801 by unplugging, but it didn't help. I've checked the display settings, but they seem to be correct. I did the most recent software update before this problem started, but the display was working fine afterwards.

Any help or f thoughts would be appreciated.
post #10897 of 11956 Old 03-09-2014, 03:52 PM

yesterday i have heard the modified cinemike 8801 against my original 8801.

After the mod the unit will sound so much better. Don`t get me wrong but the original av8801 sound boring compared to the modified one.

Normally you are listing to music .. After the mod you are into the music everything sounds so real, that`s the best way to describe it i think.

It will take 2 weeks before i get my 8801 and 8077 back, can`t wait
post #10898 of 11956 Old 03-09-2014, 03:58 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 1374
Quote:
Originally Posted by richpat View Post

All of a sudden. the information on the front display of my 8801 has changed. The display used to show the input selection as well as the boxes for the input signal and the output signal. Perhaps coincidentally, the trigger that controls my 7-channel amp has stopped working. I rebooted the 8801 by unplugging, but it didn't help. I've checked the display settings, but they seem to be correct. I did the most recent software update before this problem started, but the display was working fine afterwards.

You say it changed but you don't describe how it has changed. Also note the front panel can only display "either" the INPUT boxes or the "OUTPUT" boxes but not both at the same time.

darthray likes this.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #10899 of 11956 Old 03-09-2014, 04:56 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

You say it changed but you don't describe how it has changed. Also note the front panel can only display "either" the INPUT boxes or the "OUTPUT" boxes but not both at the same time.

It won't display either input or output, which it used to do. Now it shows neither. Sorry...I recently replaced my Denon 5308 which did show both input and output boxes simultaneously. Is it safe to assume that output is the default setting?

Thanks, btw.
post #10900 of 11956 Old 03-09-2014, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewa View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post

Need help on this!

Ray
Hold the movie button down gives you various options, if you have the iApp you can select auto which I find defaults to what the disc is outputting

Thanks for replying

I will try your way by holding the movie button.
On my other set-up, it is set to Auto but still give me 7.1 for a 5.1 source.
Tonight while watching a 7.1 source, I tried the pure and once I did stop the movie, it was on Stereo.

I guess, I have answer my own question by using that option.
I just taught if you use Auto , it would default the proper decoding (stereo, 5.1/7.1 Dolby or DTS)?

Ray

The more you have
The longer you live
post #10901 of 11956 Old 03-09-2014, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterkale View Post

yesterday i have heard the modified cinemike 8801 against my original 8801.

After the mod the unit will sound so much better. Don`t get me wrong but the original av8801 sound boring compared to the modified one.

Normally you are listing to music .. After the mod you are into the music everything sounds so real, that`s the best way to describe it i think.

It will take 2 weeks before i get my 8801 and 8077 back, can`t wait

If you read the big processor article on the secrets of hifi website, you will realize that the major part of the acoustic signature (including the high hiss you will notice if you have high sensitivity speakers) cannot be modified... It is on the main board. Most of the acoustic components are chip based and so cant be modified.

I would approach cinemike with extreme skepticism. Feel free to contact the author of the article in secrets'.
Theresa likes this.

Blazar!
post #10902 of 11956 Old 03-09-2014, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpat View Post

I think you have just answer my previous question and got to try it when time permit.

Ray

The more you have
The longer you live
post #10903 of 11956 Old 03-09-2014, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post

If you read the big processor article on the secrets of hifi website, you will realize that the major part of the acoustic signature (including the high hiss you will notice if you have high sensitivity speakers) cannot be modified... It is on the main board. Most of the acoustic components are chip based and so cant be modified.

I would approach cinemike with extreme skepticism. Feel free to contact the author of the article in secrets'.

Stop reading and start listening yourself. Most people read to much reviews and copy information.
I am not somebody that is convinced very fast. I have heard a lot of setups and speakers, and i can only say the sound will change a lot (in a good way)
post #10904 of 11956 Old 03-10-2014, 01:30 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Why does he have to be skeptical when he heard the differences him self?

The German company analyze the whole unit and improve the unit by working on the power supply, use filtering and they also change the OP amps. This process to develope takes some time to test everything.

Here is a video review coming from a famous German reviewer. (He is working on English subs) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQGtKZDA6V8

Here is a review of a modified AV 7701 , and he also shows a HF emissions measurement (if i wrote it correctly) between a stock unit and a modified AV 7701 (@ min:43 :20 starting and the hf emissions measurements @ min 44:16)

Quote:

post #10905 of 11956 Old 03-10-2014, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denon a1xva View Post

Why does he have to be skeptical when he heard the differences him self?

The German company analyze the whole unit and improve the unit by working on the power supply, use filtering and they also change the OP amps. This process to develope takes some time to test everything.

Here is a video review coming from a famous German reviewer. (He is working on English subs) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQGtKZDA6V8

Here is a review of a modified AV 7701 , and he also shows a HF emissions measurement (if i wrote it correctly) between a stock unit and a modified AV 7701 (@ min:43 :20 starting and the hf emissions measurements @ min 44:16)

Agreed. The amount of people on this forum who feel the need to pontificate about products they have never evaluated and have zero experience of is quite frankly beyond reason

Yes its right to be sceptical but when someone HAS evaluated a product and deems it worthy of praise back comes a bunch of no doubt well meaning posters demanding that you ignore your own ears

Crazy
post #10906 of 11956 Old 03-10-2014, 03:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecossecableman View Post

Agreed. The amount of people on this forum who feel the need to pontificate about products they have never evaluated and have zero experience of is quite frankly beyond reason

Yes its right to be sceptical but when someone HAS evaluated a product and deems it worthy of praise back comes a bunch of no doubt well meaning posters demanding that you ignore your own ears

Crazy

I see no need to insult the owners in this particular 8801 thread just because one happens to disagree about a modification. Where more than capable of having a discussion on the merits of what this mod may or may not offer the end user. i for one would love to hear his comments once he receives it back and has had time to evaluate it in his own setup, until then its mere speculation and one's opinion in the end as to what sounds good to him or her smile.gif
post #10907 of 11956 Old 03-10-2014, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

I see no need to insult the owners in this particular 8801 thread just because one happens to disagree about a modification. Where more than capable of having a discussion on the merits of what this mod may or may not offer the end user. i for one would love to hear his comments once he receives it back and has had time to evaluate it in his own setup, until then its mere speculation and one's opinion in the end as to what sounds good to him or her smile.gif

What insult? Where?

I suspect you have never heard a Cinemike mod have you?

Generally speaking How on earth can you comment with authority on a mod youve never heard?smile.gif
post #10908 of 11956 Old 03-10-2014, 09:51 AM

Liked: 12
Cinemike has a very good reputation within the industry as well as users.

I wish I had the 3300 euros to mod the 8801 (7.1 channels) but I dont ;-(
post #10909 of 11956 Old 03-10-2014, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohtfan View Post

I would like to see the so called better measurements go through a real test on an Audio Precision testing device. So many of these places gloss over things, and I even emailed the German review guy about this. Speaker reviews with out waterfall plots are pointless.

Selective audio measurements with ignoring others is also misleading.

I am not saying this firm is not doing a good job, but I would like to see more.
post #10910 of 11956 Old 03-10-2014, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 625
Answered in the bold text for you smile.gif Sorry it took so long.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOz View Post

On this forum I've learnt a lot (thanks to all) but have already forgotten a fair chunk of that.  Maybe someone can chime in. This is ONLY about playing a music PCM 2.0 source like CDs. Assume we will not select any option that outputs from the centre or surround channels.

Is selecting stereo under music different from stereo under movie? e.g. Audyssey flat used in music or some other more musical processing.

No, but Audyssey has two modes, plain Audyssey and Audyssey flat that is also called AUdyssey music on Onkyo units. I has a flatter top end that some seem to prefer for music listening. This can be found in the audio menu where you can select, deselect Audyssey amongst other options.

Wouldn't selecting auto be the same as selecting stereo (since it will detect PCM 2.0)?

Yes, it should, assuming the PCM signal is properly being sent to the 8801

What audio processing is not disabled in direct and pure direct?

All audyssey processing is disabled in direct and pure direct.

If stereo is selected, wouldn't "Audyssey bypass L&R" be the same as Audyssey off?

No, it will still retain the EQ on the subwoofer, and just bypass the mains. Audyssey "off" will cut all automatic EQ off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 807recordings View Post

I would like to see the so called better measurements go through a real test on an Audio Precision testing device. So many of these places gloss over things, and I even emailed the German review guy about this. Speaker reviews with out waterfall plots are pointless.

Selective audio measurements with ignoring others is also misleading.

I am not saying this firm is not doing a good job, but I would like to see more.

Waterfall graphs are primarily used to look at room decay, and have way more to do with the room and speaker placement than they do with the speaker itself.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #10911 of 11956 Old 03-10-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Answered in the bold text for you smile.gif Sorry it took so long.

Waterfall graphs are primarily used to look at room decay, and have way more to do with the room and speaker placement than they do with the speaker itself.

Waterfalls are very important and so are off axis responses and should not include room modes. How are you going to know if a woofer is ringing, tweeter is in breakup mode, etc with out them?
No freq response will show that.

Also the graphs should be done in an ideal situation.
post #10912 of 11956 Old 03-10-2014, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:

What insult? Where?

Generally speaking How on earth can you comment with authority on a mod youve never heard?smile.gif

Did you even read my post? I did say I would love to hear his comments once he got his unit back! Only comment with authority I suppose I made is your view on owners here! The discussion is welcome as far as I'm concerned. But the odds of getting to hear a Cinemike mod are slim here in the US, given the chance I would! as I've only heard good things about them.
post #10913 of 11956 Old 03-10-2014, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by 807recordings View Post

Waterfalls are very important and so are off axis responses and should not include room modes. How are you going to know if a woofer is ringing, tweeter is in breakup mode, etc with out them?
No freq response will show that.

Also the graphs should be done in an ideal situation.

I am not arguing your points, just simply waterfalls seem to me to be best suited for in room measure. spectrograms would be good for woofer ringing and impulse and THD measurements to confirm.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #10914 of 11956 Old 03-10-2014, 01:35 PM

@beastaudio,
I agree!

smile.gif
post #10915 of 11956 Old 03-10-2014, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I Listen to one for first time last weekend,the soundfield and clarity was outstanding.
post #10916 of 11956 Old 03-10-2014, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What insult? Where?

I don't have to hear it to suggest caution and skepticism... If you heard and like it already... More power to you. Who said anything about being insulting... Certainly not my intent. The op amps in the 8801 are defintely not top notch and this has been pointed out in "secrets"... Look at their "technical" papers section. If the op amps can in-fact be changed I would love to know since my speakers defintely hiss without -20db attenuators.

I would love to hear the testimonial on these mods since someone on this thread is spending the money. I have been warned about several mod'ers on the net in the past who wrap wires in tinfoil and charge a lot of dough for it.

Blazar!
post #10917 of 11956 Old 03-10-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:

I don't have to hear it to suggest caution and skepticism... If you heard and like it already... More power to you. Who said anything about being insulting... Certainly not my intent. The op amps in the 8801 are defintely not top notch and this has been pointed out in "secrets"... Look at their "technical" papers section. If the op amps can in-fact be changed I would love to know since my speakers defintely hiss without -20db attenuators.

I would love to hear the testimonial on these mods since someone on this thread is spending the money. I have been warned about several mod'ers on the net in the past who wrap wires in tinfoil and charge a lot of dough for it.

Yes there are certainly con modders out there. Cinemike ain't one of them. I paid my money and got my Denon AVP moded. Pic and sound improvement was significant
post #10918 of 11956 Old 03-10-2014, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter
exm
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:

Yes there are certainly con modders out there. Cinemike ain't one of them. I paid my money and got my Denon AVP moded. Pic and sound improvement was significant

Are these mods expensive?
post #10919 of 11956 Old 03-10-2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post

You'd have to ask Cinemike the price but for me ANYTHING that significantly improves my music and movie enjoyment is always worth it smile.gif
post #10920 of 11956 Old 03-10-2014, 10:08 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post

Define "expensive". Here's a data point on how much it costs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohtfan View Post

If 3300 euros is expensive to you, then it's expensive. To me, it's expensive. biggrin.gif
audiofan1 likes this.

Marantz 8801 Arcam P1000 Oppo 95 SystemDek IIX turntable B&W LCR6 (front 3) B&W in ceiling surround speakers Velodyne SPL-10 Subs (2) Sony xbr65x850a
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Ken Kreisel Dxd 12012 Subwoofer , Marantz Av8801 , Receivers Amplifiers , Audyssey , Integra
Gear in this thread - Av8801 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page