post #10981 of 12127 Old 03-20-2014, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by baranowski View Post

Is there a way to get the marantz to always use the video out besides 16:9 or 4:3? I only see those two options.

Thank you
Bill
No. If you have a wide screen you need to let the display handle that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10982 of 12127 Old 03-20-2014, 08:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweissman View Post

No. If you have a wide screen you need to let the display handle that.

Isn't there a stretch mode in the menus somewhere?
post #10983 of 12127 Old 03-20-2014, 08:21 PM
Just add water and stir

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Hey Guys!

Side bar:
I first watched Zero Dark Thirty on my projector this past Fall of '13. I had my projector ISF calibrated over the Christmas Holidays. Well tonight I watched it again. I decided to watch it tonight because I wanted to compare audio, as I feel it has strong dialogue. WOW WAS I BLOWN AWAY BY THE VIDEO!!!!?!!!!

I remember watching it the first time, thinking to myself, "...these dark scenes are just too dark". It turns out it was just Black crush due to a poorly calibrated image, as I only just took my projector out of the box and started using it. Tonight, watching the movie again since my ISF I could not get over how much more intense the night time scenes were! In fact I do not believe there was a single moment of pure darkness or black out. I actually was able to watch the movie straight thru! Fantastic night scenes with some very shadowy moments, but never the pure abysmal black crush of before.

If you have considered getting your video calibrated. This was near religious for me. I am a believer!!

In case anyone was curious, I use Pass Thru for video.

|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
 |
post #10984 of 12127 Old 03-20-2014, 08:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuluwalker View Post

Hey Guys!

Side bar:
I first watched Zero Dark Thirty on my projector this past Fall of '13. I had my projector ISF calibrated over the Christmas Holidays. Well tonight I watched it again. I decided to watch it tonight because I wanted to compare audio, as I feel it has strong dialogue. WOW WAS I BLOWN AWAY BY THE VIDEO!!!!?!!!!

I remember watching it the first time, thinking to myself, "...these dark scenes are just too dark". It turns out it was just Black crush due to a poorly calibrated image, as I only just took my projector out of the box and started using it. Tonight, watching the movie again since my ISF I could not get over how much more intense the night time scenes were! In fact I do not believe there was a single moment of pure darkness or black out. I actually was able to watch the movie straight thru! Fantastic night scenes with some very shadowy moments, but never the pure abysmal black crush of before.

If you have considered getting your video calibrated. This was near religious for me. I am a believer!!

In case anyone was curious, I use Pass Thru for video.

Please send me a PM!!!

I also live in Alberta, but could never find an ISF that is not from a big store (not projector [JVC] but TV only) and the job done in in-store only.

Ray

Birthdays are good for you
The more you have
The longer you live
post #10985 of 12127 Old 03-20-2014, 08:47 PM
Just add water and stir

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post

Please send me a PM!!!

I also live in Alberta, but could never find an ISF that is not from a big store (not projector [JVC] but TV only) and the job done in in-store only.

Ray

I will send you details.

For the record, that is madness they want to calibrate your gear outside the home, and its final position!!?!! eek.gif Madness!

PM me when you are coming to town.

|
 |
|
 |
post #10986 of 12127 Old 03-20-2014, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 63
This is possible depending on your control home automation system. The commands are individually implemented, so you can just have a button that toggles through them one at a time, a drop down menu to pick your favorite sound modes, etc... My system is very versatile and I programmed it myself, so YMMV.

Any dealer should be able to figure it out for you though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner969 View Post

I'm still struggling with this... it's a stupid interface Marantz has implemented that relies on their own remote for operation. It's not 1970s anymore.

, a FREE home automation program. Open-source Z-Wave Premise Module found
post #10987 of 12127 Old 03-20-2014, 09:51 PM
Advanced Member

Hey, did everyone re-run audyssey after the new firmware update? is it necessary?

I can't tell if it's a placebo effect, but mine may sound better too after the update. It's very hard to tell though as my system sounded amazing before...

It took a long time to update, almost 50 minutes. Mine seem to keep all my old settings which was nice as I forgot to back them up first!

post #10988 of 12127 Old 03-20-2014, 11:02 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by etc6849 View Post

Hey, did everyone re-run audyssey after the new firmware update? is it necessary?

I can't tell if it's a placebo effect, but mine may sound better too after the update. It's very hard to tell though as my system sounded amazing before...

It took a long time to update, almost 50 minutes. Mine seem to keep all my old settings which was nice as I forgot to back them up first!

Congratulations and welcome to the "We love the latest upgrade club" I haven't re-run audssey yet and still loving the sound. Enjoy!
audiofan1 likes this.

Thanks, Vince

Pioneer Kuro
Sony VPL-HW50
Marantz 8801
Oppo 103D
DirectV
XBOX 360
post #10989 of 12127 Old 03-20-2014, 11:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:

I'm still struggling with this... it's a stupid interface Marantz has implemented that relies on their own remote for operation. It's not 1970s anymore.

This is an annoying oversight on the part of Marantz. These types of issues should not be missed during design of these units considering how many Marantz models have the same basic interface.

Luckily my movie mode is always Neo X and music is always Stereo (for bass management) with Audyssey L/R bypass. I don't need to change these modes and they are tied to the inputs. When I want to do a simple A/B comparison though I cannot use the integrated remote.

Another option would be to duplicate the inputs with multiple split HDMI cables and assign a different soundfield per input. Or otherwise do what I do... walk into the closet and push the Movie button.
zuluwalker likes this.

Blazar!
post #10990 of 12127 Old 03-21-2014, 05:17 AM

Quote:

This is possible depending on your control home automation system. The commands are individually implemented, so you can just have a button that toggles through them one at a time, a drop down menu to pick your favorite sound modes, etc... My system is very versatile and I programmed it myself, so YMMV.

Any dealer should be able to figure it out for you though.

Thanks. I do see that I can select each mode individually. The problem is not knowing which mode is allowed to be selected. That is, I don't want to toggle through 50 choices when only 5 are selectable.

Having said that, it is still a stupid design decision by marantz to complicate the control mechanism so much.

While I'm ranting, smile.gif: the telnet client the AVR has is retarded. It can only accept one command per session, and the session must be closed after each command! mad.gif Who does anything like that??
post #10991 of 12127 Old 03-21-2014, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post

This is an annoying oversight on the part of Marantz. These types of issues should not be missed during design of these units considering how many Marantz models have the same basic interface.

Luckily my movie mode is always Neo X and music is always Stereo (for bass management) with Audyssey L/R bypass. I don't need to change these modes and they are tied to the inputs. When I want to do a simple A/B comparison though I cannot use the integrated remote.

Another option would be to duplicate the inputs with multiple split HDMI cables and assign a different soundfield per input. Or otherwise do what I do... walk into the closet and push the Movie button.

Ya, I walk into the closet as well. rolleyes.gif I suppose it's healthier than sitting on my butt and using technology that was invented 30 years ago.
post #10992 of 12127 Old 03-21-2014, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

That is strange. If you look in my signature, there's a free program called Premise you can use to send commands over ip or rs232. It'd make a great debugging tool for you as it has a built in port spy, works with MS debugview, etc. To get IP commands to work, just use the UDS-10 work around. In the Elk M1G instructions, there's detailed instructions on the work around.

On my setup, the Marantz port stays open 100% of the time. Check your telnet client's settings?
Quote:

Thanks. I do see that I can select each mode individually. The problem is not knowing which mode is allowed to be selected. That is, I don't want to toggle through 50 choices when only 5 are selectable.

Having said that, it is still a stupid design decision by marantz to complicate the control mechanism so much.

While I'm ranting, smile.gif: the telnet client the AVR has is retarded. It can only accept one command per session, and the session must be closed after each command! mad.gif Who does anything like that??

post #10993 of 12127 Old 03-21-2014, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by baranowski View Post

Is there a way to get the marantz to always use the video out besides 16:9 or 4:3? I only see those two options.

Thank you
Bill

What kind of video signal are you trying to use?

In general, the video circuits in receivers support only the standard home entertainment resolutions and aspect ratios. They won't work with most computer resolutions and aspect ratios. Some of the receivers that will be introduced later this year are expected to have direct support for wide-screen aspect ratios, but that hasn't happened yet.

Selden
post #10994 of 12127 Old 03-21-2014, 10:02 AM

Liked: 10
My AV8801 is dropping sound randomly while playing blu ray .... ?

I have an Oppo BDP-95 connected to my AV8801. Lately I have noticed that sound from several blu ray's would drop out and come back, and in some cases drop out altogether coming back on only if I cycle the Marantz on and off while the blu-ray is still playing.

Anyone experience this? My connections are all solid. Any suggestions?
post #10995 of 12127 Old 03-21-2014, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I believe it's a hdmi issue. My Integra will do that every so often.

Mikes Stuff
McIntosh MC207 Amps.........................DarbyVision Darblet
Marantz AV8801 Processor.................Da-Lite Screen
Klipsch Reference Series 7.2................Panasonic BluRay BDT500
Epson Pro 6010 Projector.....................Sony Playstation used for SACD and BluRay
post #10996 of 12127 Old 03-21-2014, 11:02 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjz3348 View Post

I have an Oppo BDP-95 connected to my AV8801. Lately I have noticed that sound from several blu ray's would drop out and come back, and in some cases drop out altogether coming back on only if I cycle the Marantz on and off while the blu-ray is still playing.

I would try and isolate with one problem Blu ray
Find a problem disc change HDMI cable, if thats your connection... see what happens are you using a high speed cable?
no luck change routing of good cable could be getting interference
no luck reload software on oppo
no luck is it happening only with DTS or which format or manufacturer of disc

I have noticed it sometimes when the layers change on a disc maybe thats it if you find no solutions.

Thanks, Vince

Pioneer Kuro
Sony VPL-HW50
Marantz 8801
Oppo 103D
DirectV
XBOX 360
post #10997 of 12127 Old 03-21-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince325 View Post

I would try and isolate with one problem Blu ray
Find a problem disc change HDMI cable, if thats your connection... see what happens are you using a high speed cable?
no luck change routing of good cable could be getting interference
no luck reload software on oppo
no luck is it happening only with DTS or which format or manufacturer of disc

I have noticed it sometimes when the layers change on a disc maybe thats it if you find no solutions.

Thanks for the suggestions!
It's interesting that the video is just fine, but only the audio does the dropping out.
I am using the Marantz for signal decoding and the Oppo sends the signal via hdmi to the Marantz.

i'll try switching out the hdmi cable ... but truly don't know why that would be an issue since picture is coming through just fine.
(also - this has happened on several discs - so I suspect signal transmission issues).
post #10998 of 12127 Old 03-21-2014, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Don't forget that HDMI video and audio are sent over the same wires. Audio is sent during the "vertical blanking interval" between video frames, so only one dropping out for a significant amount of time usually implies a processing error in one of the devices instead of a simple transmission glitch.

Selden
post #10999 of 12127 Old 03-21-2014, 12:22 PM

o.k. - this is very informative!

so if I am using the Marantz for decoding and not the Oppo - the problem could indeed be in the AV8801?

The Oppo is just pass through from disc read out the HDMI cable to the processor.
post #11000 of 12127 Old 03-21-2014, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:

That depends what movies you are watching and Oppo bluray players having problems too.
post #11001 of 12127 Old 03-21-2014, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post

Please send me a PM!!!

Ray

I will send you details.

For the record, that is madness they want to calibrate your gear outside the home, and its final position!!?!! eek.gif Madness!

PM me when you are coming to town.

Totaly agree with you for Madness!
Nice set-up by the way!
And Thanks for the details.

Ray

Birthdays are good for you
The more you have
The longer you live
post #11002 of 12127 Old 03-22-2014, 07:06 AM

Quote:

That is strange. If you look in my signature, there's a free program called Premise you can use to send commands over ip or rs232. It'd make a great debugging tool for you as it has a built in port spy, works with MS debugview, etc. To get IP commands to work, just use the UDS-10 work around. In the Elk M1G instructions, there's detailed instructions on the work around.

On my setup, the Marantz port stays open 100% of the time. Check your telnet client's settings?

Thanks. Will look at that.
post #11003 of 12127 Old 03-22-2014, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

I have the same problem with my oppo 103 to the yamaha AVR, contact oppo, they will try to solve it for you.
post #11004 of 12127 Old 03-22-2014, 05:34 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post

I want to thank you for mentioning the L/R bypass in Audyssey. I had forgotten about it. While I've been "settling in" with the 8801 for a number of months now, I've never been totally satisfied with music reproduction. I generally use either the "stereo" mode or the PLIIx mode.  Today I switched the Audyssey to the L/R bypass which did the sonic equivalent of unveiling my front speakers. They now sound the way I was used to hearing them when I had what I considered to be a superior music performing Pre-Pro. The Audyssey room correction seemed to subdue their sound. Now the music has come alive again. The soundfield is out in the room. It has regained the depth and spaciousness and palpability that I used to love about the speakers' sound. I switched to my Olive music server which has hundreds of CD's on it all in  lossless format, and listened to music for hours because it sounded so great again!

zuluwalker likes this.
post #11005 of 12127 Old 03-22-2014, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Now I'm going to have to try the LR bypass mode. So many things to try, so little time! :-)
zuluwalker likes this.

Marantz 8801 Arcam P1000 Oppo 95 SystemDek IIX turntable B&W LCR6 (front 3) B&W in ceiling surround speakers Velodyne SPL-10 Subs (2) Sony xbr65x850a
post #11006 of 12127 Old 03-22-2014, 09:11 PM
Just add water and stir

Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger View Post

Now I'm going to have to try the LR bypass mode. So many things to try, so little time! :-)

This has me heading downstairs to play with right now!!

|
 |
|
 |
post #11007 of 12127 Old 03-22-2014, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by spentmuch View Post

I want to thank you for mentioning the L/R bypass in Audyssey. I had forgotten about it. While I've been "settling in" with the 8801 for a number of months now, I've never been totally satisfied with music reproduction. I generally use either the "stereo" mode or the PLIIx mode.  Today I switched the Audyssey to the L/R bypass which did the sonic equivalent of unveiling my front speakers. They now sound the way I was used to hearing them when I had what I considered to be a superior music performing Pre-Pro. The Audyssey room correction seemed to subdue their sound. Now the music has come alive again. The soundfield is out in the room. It has regained the depth and spaciousness and palpability that I used to love about the speakers' sound. I switched to my Olive music server which has hundreds of CD's on it all in  lossless format, and listened to music for hours because it sounded so great again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger View Post

Quote:

This has me heading downstairs to play with right now!!

Nice to have options! isn't it wink.gif
post #11008 of 12127 Old 03-23-2014, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

Nice to have options! isn't it wink.gif

So if my post piqued your interest, I'll share my other "discoveries" and settings that improved sound quality: I'll assume you love the sound of your main R&L speakers, or you'd have chosen others. I do, and no amount of electronics will make you enjoy a speaker that you didn't previously enjoy. The rest of them aren't as critical, but the center must be of high quality and reasonably timbre matched to the fronts, and it helps if the surrounds are too. I use a 7.2 setup (no 'high's or wides"). I enjoy well recorded stereo music and like primarily the PLIIx mode for enveloping sound, but have slightly diminished levels set on the surrounds to make their content subtle. (I still wish the 8801 would allow the user to adjust the high frequncy rolloff of the surrounds)  Having some room conditioning well-placed is worthwhile and honky room acoustics cannot be "fixed" entirely by the room equalization algorithm. Not with Audyssey XT32, and I doubt with any other system either.   I've minimized HDMI control, in the video settings, because as one person on the forum taught me, it certainly does (somehow) reduce annoying sibilance that shows up on the side speakers. (If you are not experiencing this, then don't bother).  The "center wide" setting is one point short of the maxium setting, which minimizes the sound from the center speaker, but doesn't completely eliminate it. And the depth setting is at maximum, or one click from the max. It is very easy to hear how the soundstage collapses and smooshes against the speakers at the front of the room if it is at a minimum setting. With these settings I was still not getting the kind of sound from my main L & R's as I know them to be capable of. I was using either Audyssey "Flat" or Audyssey,  I have Dynamic Volume turned off. I have Dynamic EQ turned "on". And I have LFC turned off.  I have the bass offset delay offset at zero or 1 msec. (It's easy to hear what sounds better). And finally, yesterday, I switched to L/R bypass so it no longer gets in the way of the signal to my front speakers. This, as I said, dramatically restored the magnificent capabilities that the speakers  had to begin with . (BTW...I'm used to having these speakers for 20 plus years in the same room and know how they should sound).  I've turned Audyssey to L/R bypass in the DTS or Dolby Master modes too, which also improved the overall sound in these modes. I found clearly that with every mode and permutation, having Audyssey "correct" the frequency response of my front speakers degraded the sound.  Yet turning Audyssey "off" altogether, removed Dynamic EQ, which detracted from the enjoyment of the sound at various volume levels. .  The difference that this change produced is of a magnitude where I no longer feel like I'm "settling" for reasonably decent sound, but wish something better would come along. I am now satisfied that the sound is great and I'm no longer seeking better.

To be open minded about this, I am sure that someone could argue that I am merely used to the sound of my front speakers, and psychoacoustically feel their sound is inferior when changed by Audyssey. I can only say to this that I have given plenty of time to accommodate to the Audyssey room correction (as it applies to the front speakers) and it has left me wanting for better sound. Bypassing Audyssey's effect on the the L/R has produced by far the best change in my system's sound over the numerous months I've now had the 8801. I believe the setting is there for a reason!

BTW: I did not find the recent firmware update to have ANY effect on the sound whatsoever. Was it intended to? For a while I did NOT rerun Audyssey setup after the download (geez I'm tired of rerunning Audyssey). Then after a while I did re-run it. It made no difference.  In the preceeding months I had re-done the Audyssey setup as many times as any geeked out nerd, trying subtle and not so subtle variations on mic position. The results were always slightly different in so far as distance and level setting and occasionally crossover points, but the overall curves of each speaker always remained qualitatively the same and the sound didn't vary significantly. I also tend to "detune" the surround speakers by turning them down globally a click or two, to make them more subtle.

I hope that you will find the same magnitude of of improvement as I did. It was truly as though a plastic wrap covering the speakers had suddenly been pulled off,. . The difference was akin to removing the wrap and volia...revelation of sound!

One more thing of note.. I have a tremendous amount of subwoofer power in a fairly large room by  way of 3 older, but still well performing 15 inch (F 1500 series) Velodynes. However, I tend to use these very conservatively and go for the subtle effect...the kind that makes you wonder if they're even turned on during some passages, but definitely let you know they are there with shocking presence when called for, especially in movies, but some music passage too. I've experimented with configuring these in different ways over the months (and even years); but this really all affects only the lower bass response and has had no effect of the openness and palpability of the front speakers as I mentioned early. I have alternately used a subwoofer to each of the subwoofer outs; and the third one daisy chained to one of them and just positioned differently within the room; I have tied the third one to the center channel and set the center as "large", (this did not fare well). and I have tried marrying one sub to each front speaker buy way of the sub's internal crossover, setting the crossover between 60-80 and setting the fronts to "large", where normally I would have them at "small". I would use the 3rd subwoofer strictly as an LFE speaker. I would always set the bass management for the subwoofer outs to be LFE only, NOT LFE plus main, which produces too much of a chesty sound to male vocals and speakers. The overall bass response was equally appealing in this final way, as it was to just keep the fronts set to "small" and all three subwoofers connected to the two subwoofer outputs. Really no real difference except in "pure" two channel stereo, where the obvious (stereo) bass extension of the fronts was a benefit. (Normally in my room, my fronts tend to start rolling off at 60 hz, at least per Audyssey measurements. But all of this subwoofer talk is moot when regarding the openness, detail, and soundstage of the system. That is mostly dependent on the functioning of the front speakers, and in my case, mostly the L&R and again....turning Audyssey to L/R bypass made the critical difference.

audiofan1 and admranger like this.
post #11009 of 12127 Old 03-23-2014, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by spentmuch View Post

I've minimized HDMI control, in the video settings, because as one person on the forum taught me, it certainly does (somehow) reduce annoying sibilance that shows up on the side speakers. (If you are not experiencing this, then don't bother).

I've never heard of this. Please explain.
post #11010 of 12127 Old 03-23-2014, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ-Rhino View Post

I've never heard of this. Please explain.

Somewhere back in the bowels of this forum I complained that the side speakers often produced an annoying degree of surveillance when listening to stereo music using a surround parameter. Someone noted that turning off some of HDMI control under the video section improved this. They were right.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Ken Kreisel Dxd 12012 Subwoofer , Marantz Av8801 , Receivers Amplifiers , Audyssey , Integra
Gear in this thread - Av8801 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page