post #11341 of 11971 Old 04-27-2014, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by runninkyle17 View Post

I have just skimmed over the thread. Any comparison between the 8801 and the Anthem D2v? The extra updated features of the 8801 is very nice, but I am not sure if I could make the trade-off if the musicality of the 8801 doesn't quite match up to the D2v.

Granted I am not expecting that that 8801 to be just as good as the D2v, but if it close then maybe I sell my D2v and make the switch, then look for a nice 2-ch pre-amp for music.

There are a few who have switched but you may have to search a little deeper or maybe they will chime in. I myself came from an Anthem AVM 20v2 and at present I enjoy the 8801 & Oppo 105 combination a lot and as for the 8801 stereo performance it compares well against the Sabre dac's in the 105 for 2/ch , as a preamp the 8801 is a real shocker as it does extremely well in this regard.

I will say that for multi/ch sacd and movies a good run of Audyssey as implemented by 8801 is very tough to beat regardless of price wink.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11342 of 11971 Old 04-27-2014, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

There are a few who have switched but you may have to search a little deeper or maybe they will chime in. I myself came from an Anthem AVM 20v2 and at present I enjoy the 8801 & Oppo 105 combination a lot and as for the 8801 stereo performance it compares well against the Sabre dac's in the 105 for 2/ch , as a preamp the 8801 is a real shocker as it does extremely well in this regard.

I will say that for multi/ch sacd and movies a good run of Audyssey as implemented by 8801 is very tough to beat regardless of price wink.gif

Thanks for that. I will search a bit more. I just think that my family will enjoy the extra features that the 8801 offers. I really am perfectly happy with the D2v, but if I can get something that performs as good and offers the extra streaming features and such that would be the perfect fit for the wife and kids smile.gif
post #11343 of 11971 Old 04-27-2014, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

I have just skimmed over the thread. Any comparison between the 8801 and the Anthem D2v? The extra updated features of the 8801 is very nice, but I am not sure if I could make the trade-off if the musicality of the 8801 doesn't quite match up to the D2v.

Granted I am not expecting that that 8801 to be just as good as the D2v, but if it close then maybe I sell my D2v and make the switch, then look for a nice 2-ch pre-amp for music.

Home Theater have compared the two

''The Anthem D2v has been my gold standard for AV processors but, at $9,499, it is substantially more than the Marantz AV8801. It does not have nearly as complete of a feature set, but sounds even better than the Marantz. ''

here is the full review
post #11344 of 11971 Old 04-27-2014, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

Thanks for that. I will search a bit more. I just think that my family will enjoy the extra features that the 8801 offers. I really am perfectly happy with the D2v, but if I can get something that performs as good and offers the extra streaming features and such that would be the perfect fit for the wife and kids smile.gif
Why not just but an ATV3, amazon Fire TV,etc & Oppo or another style if media streamer rather than swap processors for streaming functions if your happy with the D2V
post #11345 of 11971 Old 04-27-2014, 04:33 PM

Liked: 34
Mainly because I am trying to make things as simple and all in one as possible. My wife took forever to learn how to operate the D2v, lol biggrin.gif

The Oppo is a good suggestion though. I have been trying to find a reason to upgrade to the Oppo 105.
post #11346 of 11971 Old 04-28-2014, 04:10 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

Mainly because I am trying to make things as simple and all in one as possible. My wife took forever to learn how to operate the D2v, lol biggrin.gif

The Oppo is a good suggestion though. I have been trying to find a reason to upgrade to the Oppo 105.
Win win, she already knows how to use the d2v and you get a 105
post #11347 of 11971 Old 04-28-2014, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I'd be hard pressed to get rid of a D2v to replace with an 8801. Music server/Oppo 105 is the way to go here. As I've found out, there appear to be a million or so ways to skin the music server cat, so be prepared for overload. For now, with my setup, Apple Airplay is good enough (16/44.1).

A friend came over yesterday with some SACDs (DSOM, Clapton, Dire Straits, etc.) and I was taken aback by how much better they sounded than my CD equivalents (in my space, ymmv). Now surfing around for used SACDs!

Marantz 8801 Arcam P1000 Oppo 95 SystemDek IIX turntable B&W LCR6 (front 3) B&W in ceiling surround speakers Velodyne SPL-10 Subs (2) Sony xbr65x850a
post #11348 of 11971 Old 04-28-2014, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balbolito View Post

''The Anthem D2v has been my gold standard for AV processors but, at $9,499, it is substantially more than the Marantz AV8801. It does not have nearly as complete of a feature set, but sounds even better than the Marantz. ''

here is the full review

I've done some comparisons in my room as well. The 8801 has A LOT more features that are alluring but ultimately I felt the sound of the D2V won out. The difference with music playback wasn't very big but I felt the D2V was a nice step up with movies. More seamless soundstage, better clarity and richness. I wasn't expecting the difference to be very much (and it wasn't for music) but I was surprised how much difference I noticed with movies. I did a full Audyssey Pro calibration of the 8801 to ensure I was using it as I would if it was my own. I wasn't able to A/B switch on the fly, but I was using clips that I've listen to and demo'ed countless times before and at the same reference level (verified by SPL meter). Make no mistake, the 8801 sounded great, but I wouldn't trade my D2V for it if sound was my most important priority. But I will admit there are a lot of features and conveniences that the Marantz brings to the table that would be very nice to have.

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

Click Here To See My Current Setup
post #11349 of 11971 Old 04-28-2014, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post

I've done some comparisons in my room as well. The 8801 has A LOT more features that are alluring but ultimately I felt the sound of the D2V won out. The difference with music playback wasn't very big but I felt the D2V was a nice step up with movies. More seamless soundstage, better clarity and richness. I wasn't expecting the difference to be very much (and it wasn't for music) but I was surprised how much difference I noticed with movies. I did a full Audyssey Pro calibration of the 8801 to ensure I was using it as I would if it was my own. I wasn't able to A/B switch on the fly, but I was using clips that I've listen to and demo'ed countless times before and at the same reference level (verified by SPL meter). Make no mistake, the 8801 sounded great, but I wouldn't trade my D2V for it if sound was my most important priority. But I will admit there are a lot of features and conveniences that the Marantz brings to the table that would be very nice to have.
I certainly would have thought it the reverse. Movies similar but music better on the D2V. What speakers and amps if I may ask?

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, DBP 2010, Samsung BD-C7900, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650. Sitting still CCM616, Kef...
post #11350 of 11971 Old 04-28-2014, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 175
.. it's all right there in his signature (click link, that is).

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #11351 of 11971 Old 04-29-2014, 02:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

.. it's all right there in his signature (click link, that is).
Thanks, had to jump to Desktop from Mobile to see it. Very very nice.

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, DBP 2010, Samsung BD-C7900, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650. Sitting still CCM616, Kef...
post #11352 of 11971 Old 04-29-2014, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post

I certainly would have thought it the reverse. Movies similar but music better on the D2V. What speakers and amps if I may ask?

I agree, it wasn't the results I would have expected. Marantz has always had very musical products though. I've owned several of their AVRs over the years and I've always been very pleased. The 8801 was extremely alluring to me from a feature standpoint so I was very hopeful that it would be a worthy replacement for my D2V. While it sounded great I just couldn't get the same experience with movie soundtracks, especially from the center channel and surround soundstage. A great clip for demonstrating the difference was the grid sequence from Tron Legacy. The Marantz was right there with the Anthem for low bass performance but the presence of the surrounds and the seamless blend of the soundstage wasn't nearly as convincing as with the Anthem. I played with that sequence for hours trying to adjust things to make them sound the same with no luck at all.

Senior Video Editor

post #11353 of 11971 Old 04-29-2014, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Very surprising indeed. I would have thought the opposite as well. Good thing my priority is stereo, not movie soundtracks. I've already blown my sound system budget for the year:eek:

post #11354 of 11971 Old 04-29-2014, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I agree, it wasn't the results I would have expected. Marantz has always had very musical products though. I've owned several of their AVRs over the years and I've always been very pleased. The 8801 was extremely alluring to me from a feature standpoint so I was very hopeful that it would be a worthy replacement for my D2V. While it sounded great I just couldn't get the same experience with movie soundtracks, especially from the center channel and surround soundstage. A great clip for demonstrating the difference was the grid sequence from Tron Legacy. The Marantz was right there with the Anthem for low bass performance but the presence of the surrounds and the seamless blend of the soundstage wasn't nearly as convincing as with the Anthem. I played with that sequence for hours trying to adjust things to make them sound the same with no luck at all.

Kris I can completely understand your findings on the differences for movies between the two and while I came from an AVM 20v2 which has less resolution of the DV2 but the AVM20 did do dialog and integration in spades in fact the Anthems have a great reputation for doing so. It wasn't until i decided to dig a little deeper and rely on my gut as to why the 8801 could indeed produce better pans around the room but lack that last degree cohesion I found with the Anthem, don't get me wrong it was great but needed a little fine tuning and the solution was very simple, all I needed to do was go back to the way I would set up my past systems that manual setup procedures i.e distance ,crossovers etc... this indeed takes a bit of effort and time of course but worth the result after years of many processors and receivers what I've found is ones 12ft distance setting is not the same from brand to brand however I did fine the 8801 with Audyssey to yield some very accurate results and found that if one indeed wanted to hear the fine tuning of manual input results with the 8801 just simply experiment with mic placement in position 1 ( all else was regular 2ft spacing) as it all came down to time domain , I found that 1" increments delivered results of the surround field and the overall perception of dialog,surrounds and bass I have an Audyssey run thats as good for movies and music with none of the where's my bass or its to bright issues to speak, this did require many runs of Audyssey ( I have 9 saved on my PC) but coming to realization that it was going to produce results for the mic placement where very profound the end result produced the best soundfield I've experienced and on many of my post in the AVS Bluray disc review I note the superior dialog produced on movies that have it ( The Great and powerful Oz is a fine example) Because of this I can't wait to apply this to the Pro kit when funds allow.

I can only imagine how good the base DV2 sounds given Anthems surround prowess with ARC as well and I'm sure I may, just may have came to the same conclusion but as it stands the 8801 setup properly in my case has given me the 5.1 setup to die for smile.gif
post #11355 of 11971 Old 04-29-2014, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Kris I can completely understand your findings on the differences for movies between the two and while I came from an AVM 20v2 which has less resolution of the DV2 but the AVM20 did do dialog and integration in spades in fact the Anthems have a great reputation for doing so. It wasn't until i decided to dig a little deeper and rely on my gut as to why the 8801 could indeed produce better pans around the room but lack that last degree cohesion I found with the Anthem, don't get me wrong it was great but needed a little fine tuning and the solution was very simple, all I needed to do was go back to the way I would set up my past systems that manual setup procedures i.e distance ,crossovers etc... this indeed takes a bit of effort and time of course but worth the result after years of many processors and receivers what I've found is ones 12ft distance setting is not the same from brand to brand however I did fine the 8801 with Audyssey to yield some very accurate results and found that if one indeed wanted to hear the fine tuning of manual input results with the 8801 just simply experiment with mic placement in position 1 ( all else was regular 2ft spacing) as it all came down to time domain , I found that 1" increments delivered results of the surround field and the overall perception of dialog,surrounds and bass I have an Audyssey run thats as good for movies and music with none of the where's my bass or its to bright issues to speak, this did require many runs of Audyssey ( I have 9 saved on my PC) but coming to realization that it was going to produce results for the mic placement where very profound the end result produced the best soundfield I've experienced and on many of my post in the AVS Bluray disc review I note the superior dialog produced on movies that have it ( The Great and powerful Oz is a fine example) Because of this I can't wait to apply this to the Pro kit when funds allow.

I can only imagine how good the base DV2 sounds given Anthems surround prowess with ARC as well and I'm sure I may, just may have came to the same conclusion but as it stands the 8801 setup properly in my case has given me the 5.1 setup to die for smile.gif

Great post! I've found this as well. Believe me I've spent day on end figuring out the ideal mic locations to give consistent results in my room with both ARC and Audyssey (I still use their sub EQ to do phase aligment of my subs since ARC doesn't). I started this years ago both with ARC on my D2V and with several Onkyo/Integra processors that featured both Audyssey XT and XT32 (always via Pro). I've gotten those positions down through LOTS of trial and error. I end up using slightly different positions for the Sub EQ than I use for straight ARC or Audyssey for a full 5.1 calibration to average the MLP a bit more for the bottom end (I use 2 extra measurements for this). I ALWAYS go in after a full auto calibration and do manual tweaking. I've found this absolutely necessary to achieve the best mix. Time delay is rarely an issue but crossovers and trims are always remeasured with another solution (REW and/or standalone SPL meter) and tweaked from there. I'm glad to hear the 8801 is working out so well for you, I have several friends that have them and absolutely adore them.

Senior Video Editor

post #11356 of 11971 Old 04-29-2014, 11:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Great post! I've found this as well. Believe me I've spent day on end figuring out the ideal mic locations to give consistent results in my room with both ARC and Audyssey (I still use their sub EQ to do phase aligment of my subs since ARC doesn't). I started this years ago both with ARC on my D2V and with several Onkyo/Integra processors that featured both Audyssey XT and XT32 (always via Pro). I've gotten those positions down through LOTS of trial and error. I end up using slightly different positions for the Sub EQ than I use for straight ARC or Audyssey for a full 5.1 calibration to average the MLP a bit more for the bottom end (I use 2 extra measurements for this). I ALWAYS go in after a full auto calibration and do manual tweaking. I've found this absolutely necessary to achieve the best mix. Time delay is rarely an issue but crossovers and trims are always remeasured with another solution (REW and/or standalone SPL meter) and tweaked from there. I'm glad to hear the 8801 is working out so well for you, I have several friends that have them and absolutely adore them.

You've just given me a ton of ideas smile.gif I did buy a laptop last year for REW and hi res music files but wanted to get a handle on Audyssey first , now that I'm more confident and feel I'm ready to tackle Pro and REW. This will have wait a bit till I free up funds for a second sub and a bump from 5.1 to 7.2 and also the addition of a few diffusion panels ( I noticed a few months back you added some of the one's I'm considering as I like the Idea of diffusion and absorption) I have to say Kris it took me years of trail and error before my foray into DRC with the 8801 for proper system setup with only my back and an Radio Shack Spl meter. Its good to see, if the same attention to detail is paid to something a little as mic positioning can yield so much impact on the end result while saving ones back in the process wink.gif

Thanks again for the ideas !
post #11357 of 11971 Old 04-30-2014, 05:19 AM

Liked: 24
hi guys! =)

I'm currently a AV8003 user, and love the sound of the marantz pro. And I'm trying to discern what will be the expected improvements if i upgrade to the AV8801.

Can I trouble users of AV8801 who previously owned a AV8003/AV7005/AV7701 to share their experience on what were the improvements when you moved from AV8003/AV7005/AV7701 to AV8801?

Thanks in advance smile.gif
post #11358 of 11971 Old 04-30-2014, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenz View Post

hi guys! =)

I'm currently a AV8003 user, and love the sound of the marantz pro. And I'm trying to discern what will be the expected improvements if i upgrade to the AV8801.

Can I trouble users of AV8801 who previously owned a AV8003/AV7005/AV7701 to share their experience on what were the improvements when you moved from AV8003/AV7005/AV7701 to AV8801?

Thanks in advance smile.gif

I upgraded from the AV7005. I have a 5.1 system and the transformation is amazing. It's like I'm in a sphere of beautiful sound. I don't know how much of the improvement is in the Audyssey upgrade or the AV8801 itself but I'm very happy with the results.
sevenz likes this.
post #11359 of 11971 Old 04-30-2014, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balbolito View Post

here is the full review

On another note, that is NOT Home Theater. Home Theater magazine was just recently merged with Sound and Vision when Source Interlink acquired Sound and Vision. Home Theater no longer exists. The website you are linking to is Home Theater Review, a COMPLETELY different outfit that many confuse with the original Home Theater for obvious reasons. Just FYI.

Senior Video Editor

post #11360 of 11971 Old 04-30-2014, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You've just given me a ton of ideas smile.gif I did buy a laptop last year for REW and hi res music files but wanted to get a handle on Audyssey first , now that I'm more confident and feel I'm ready to tackle Pro and REW. This will have wait a bit till I free up funds for a second sub and a bump from 5.1 to 7.2 and also the addition of a few diffusion panels ( I noticed a few months back you added some of the one's I'm considering as I like the Idea of diffusion and absorption) I have to say Kris it took me years of trail and error before my foray into DRC with the 8801 for proper system setup with only my back and an Radio Shack Spl meter. Its good to see, if the same attention to detail is paid to something a little as mic positioning can yield so much impact on the end result while saving ones back in the process wink.gif

No problem, glad I could help. One other note I've found in my tinkering. I use Audyssey's Sub EQ to phase my subs together (I have 4 subs in my room, but I use them as two pairs, so the Audyssey treats them as 2 seperate subs) and to also do preliminary EQ before ARC. While this should be plug and play I've found that you get different results depending on what sub you plug into Sub A vs Sub B. This has to do with the phasing. I was noticing a suck out near the crossover frequency that looked like a phase issue. This was after a recent spring cleaning of my rack and wiring and somehow I had swapped which sub was plugged into what on the Audyssey Sub EQ. I could understand this issue if I was just plugging it back in and leaving it at that but I had run a completely new calibration, so the phase should have been updated. I only figured it out after going through everything and trying to figure out what may have changed. When I swapped the cables again and re-ran Audyssey, boom, problem fixed.

Lesson learned here, if you are using any form of Audyssey SubEQ (which is part of most XT32 implementations) and you are running more than one sub, you may yield completely different results depending on what sub is A and what sub is B. If you don't like your response (especially near the crossover frequency) swap the connections and see what you get the other way. It made a MASSIVE difference in my room. The funny thing is though, if you look at the Audyssey before and after EQ results, it shows the response as flat (surprise, surprise). But when I measured afterward with REW there was a significant dip right near the crossover (nearly 6 dB). If I had just put blind faith in the Audyssey results, I would have never known (though the ARC measurements from Anthem also showed the dip as well, another plus for having two different EQ systems working in my room).
audiofan1 likes this.

Senior Video Editor

post #11361 of 11971 Old 04-30-2014, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Audio fan1 what laptop did you buy to run REW? I have an old Dell Latitude 6400 running Windows 7 will this do the job? I have the UMIK-1 and have downloaded the new beta of REW just have not gotten the time to set down and figure it out.

On another subject, I live in the country and have satellite internet with the router upstairs. I bought a 75' cable to connect to the 8801 to do the updates how long do they take? Was thinking I should do it after 10:00 at night when things were not so busy on the Net. I have seen the horror stories of locked up units or malfunctioning units after doing a firmware update.eek.gif All feed back is appreciated. Have really been enjoying this unit can't wait to find time to tweak it with REW.
Thanks.
post #11362 of 11971 Old 04-30-2014, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by labman1 View Post

Audio fan1 what laptop did you buy to run REW? I have an old Dell Latitude 6400 running Windows 7 will this do the job? I have the UMIK-1 and have downloaded the new beta of REW just have not gotten the time to set down and figure it out.

On another subject, I live in the country and have satellite internet with the router upstairs. I bought a 75' cable to connect to the 8801 to do the updates how long do they take? Was thinking I should do it after 10:00 at night when things were not so busy on the Net. I have seen the horror stories of locked up units or malfunctioning units after doing a firmware update.eek.gif All feed back is appreciated. Have really been enjoying this unit can't wait to find time to tweak it with REW.
Thanks.

The laptop is a Lenovo with Windows 8 , I think your Dell should be fine with Windows 7 as its pretty much still up to date, now as far as connection methods for the mic and its requirements , I still got that one to figure out as well. I've only gotten as far as downloading REW but still need to purchase a mic. There a ton of info and setup here and other sites that I'm sure we'll both figure out.

As for your 8801 updates , thats good thinking and they can take from 45-75 min. Keep me updated on your exploration with REW smile.gif
post #11363 of 11971 Old 04-30-2014, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweissman View Post

Had you previously run Audyssey XT32? That should have identified reversed phases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avtexan View Post

I have had the AV8801 up and running for a few months now and I LOVE it. It is a great piece and it has worked like a champ so far.  I think bang for the buck its quality is hard to beat.

I had my calibration done in my room this week and we uncovered some phase issues.  It turns out that my old B&K 2ch amp's XLR pinout is different that the Marantz (and everything else).  All is good now but I wanted to throw that out there in case anybody else ran across the same issue.
I have seen August eyes be wrong on polarity

Reggie
Family Room:
70" Sharp Elite/Marantz AV8801/MM8801/GoldenEar: Triton Twos, SuperCenter XLcenter channel, and SuperSat 60 surrounds/Oppo BDP-105/Directv Genie/ HP Notebook
Basement: 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000/Marantz AV8003/Marantz MM8003/PSB Stratus Gold Front,Center,Left, Surrounds
post #11364 of 11971 Old 04-30-2014, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ-Rhino View Post

I upgraded from the AV7005. I have a 5.1 system and the transformation is amazing. It's like I'm in a sphere of beautiful sound. I don't know how much of the improvement is in the Audyssey upgrade or the AV8801 itself but I'm very happy with the results.

thanks. can u share a little more which areas had improved? e.g. Steering effects, Centre channel dialogue, Bass layering, Sound stage, etc
post #11365 of 11971 Old 04-30-2014, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiguy3 View Post

Don't you hate autocorrect :-)

Audyssey identified a phase issue on one of my active speakers. I read that it can often be a false alarm but is was true for me; and not due to the wiring. I'm thinking to reverse wiring on the XLR cable but have concern that perhaps only 1 or 2 of the 3 drivers are affected.  Don't suppose anyone knows how to individually check phase for woofer, mid and tweeter?

post #11366 of 11971 Old 04-30-2014, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter
exm
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:

thanks. can u share a little more which areas had improved? e.g. Steering effects, Centre channel dialogue, Bass layering, Sound stage, etc

I've owned the AV8003, AV7005 and now AV8801. The AV8801 is light years ahead: it sounds better, has the latest technologies and features. Read this
sevenz likes this.
post #11367 of 11971 Old 04-30-2014, 08:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiguy3 View Post

Gotta love spell check ;-)

Mikes Stuff
McIntosh MC207 Amps.........................DarbyVision Darblet
Marantz AV8801 Processor.................Da-Lite Screen
Klipsch Reference Series 7.2................Panasonic BluRay BDT500
Epson Pro 6010 Projector.....................Sony Playstation used for SACD and BluRay
post #11368 of 11971 Old 05-01-2014, 12:12 AM

Quote:

All speakers are very well melded (for lack of a better term) and you can't distinguish where one ends and the other begins. That why I said a sphere of sound. Also the Sub Eq did wonders with my subs. I have four subs in two stacks of two and they are incredibly well integrated with the other speakers.
post #11369 of 11971 Old 05-01-2014, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post

I've owned the AV8003, AV7005 and now AV8801. The AV8801 is light years ahead: it sounds better, has the latest technologies and features. Read this

Thanks. Glad that u are enjoying ur system much more now w the 8801. If u would to choose two areas that sounded most improved between the 8003 and 8801, what would it be?
post #11370 of 11971 Old 05-01-2014, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccfunk View Post

It is not passing video in standby or while unit is on. I left unplugged for only about 3 minutes.

Sent unit for repair, got a call today and it is the HDMI board that has failed. He told me this is the most common failure across all brands. The HDMI board controls all intelligence for the pre/pre.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Ken Kreisel Dxd 12012 Subwoofer , Marantz Av8801 , Receivers Amplifiers , Audyssey , Integra
Gear in this thread - Av8801 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page