Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof View Post

Most Americans don't understand the mark ups in Europe and UK.
smile.gif

We used to see gear selling for say $2,500 in US sell for 2,500 QUID in the UK. Which could be close to 3500 bucks depending on the prevailing exchange rates.

So don't get freaked out by the Euro selling price.

It's better to check what the 8801 retailed for at launch in Europe. Chances are you will see it is the same as what the 8802 is slated to be selling at RRP.

Yeah, but the UK get Value Added biggrin.gif

- Rich

Hahahahaha. We do. We get 20 percent of extra value added to everything we buy!  Isn't that fantastic?  You guys buy a unit for $1,000 and you don't get a single thing of value added by Uncle Sam. But we pay just $1,700 for the same thing, but at least that price includes added value of a full 20%. I can see you're green with envy :)

And we even get to pay well over $10 for a gallon of gas thanks to the government not just adding value to it but also adding Duty to it as well.  And to make sure we are really well looked after, they add value to the Duty as well so collecting some tax on tax - how clever is that?  Our taxes themselves are taxed!

Imagine paying, as I do, $170 to fill your car with gas every week. Now that is what I call adding value! :)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11702 of 11874 Old 06-11-2014, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

Hahahahaha. We do. We get 20 percent of extra value added to everything we buy!  Isn't that fantastic?  You guys buy a unit for $1,000 and you don't get a single thing of value added by Uncle Sam. But we pay just $1,700 for the same thing, but at least that price includes added value of a full 20%. I can see you're green with envy smile.gif

And we even get to pay well over $10 for a gallon of gas thanks to the government not just adding value to it but also adding Duty to it as well.  And to make sure we are really well looked after, they add value to the Duty as well so collecting some tax on tax - how clever is that?  Our taxes themselves are taxed!

Imagine paying, as I do, $170 to fill your car with gas every week. Now that is what I call adding value! smile.gif

You aren't paying your fair share. You need to prevent global warming and famine when you buy an amplifier. You need to subsidize a mission to pluto with your next speaker purchase because our time on this earth is limited (the sun could go red giant). Your speaker cables will help clean the water and make sure your food is free of "chemicals".
kbarnes701 and Mad Norseman like this.

Blazar!
post #11703 of 11874 Old 06-11-2014, 05:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam88 View Post

I'm surprised they don't seem to have added an asynchronous USB interface on this newly announced 8802. Two years after the 8801 and they're still missing this fairly important and popular feature. Many competing products have it.

And how come none of the top multichannel prepros can handle multichannel file streaming?

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #11704 of 11874 Old 06-11-2014, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

And how come none of the top multichannel prepros can handle multichannel file streaming?

Good question.
There are very few multi-channel DACs (>2) as well.
Maybe it will take another year...

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #11705 of 11874 Old 06-11-2014, 11:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson

Good question.
There are very few multi-channel DACs (>2) as well.
Maybe it will take another year...

- Rich

This sounds like a job for Oppo Man (sorry couldn't resist) All joking aside its features like this that I'm talking about when I refer to the basics or fundamentals and getting the right before hyper or warp speed changes and why Oppo when they do go all in as an Premier audio company will have my $$$ till they stop listening to what the customers want as they deliver and then some you may not even ask for!
post #11706 of 11874 Old 06-11-2014, 11:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Because you need the new Krell Streamer.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #11707 of 11874 Old 06-12-2014, 12:02 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Indeed. It'd be great to be able to stream multichannel files through UPnP/DLNA and also be able to play multichannel files through asynchronous USB interface equipped prepros. I guess the gear companies just don't want to bother with the additional software development required. The only option for multichannel asynchronous USB that I'm aware of is the exaSound e28 you're using with your Dirac Live PC. You get such nice toys to play with Kal.
post #11708 of 11874 Old 06-12-2014, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post
This sounds like a job for Oppo Man (sorry couldn't resist) All joking aside its features like this that I'm talking about when I refer to the basics or fundamentals and getting the right before hyper or warp speed changes and why Oppo when they do go all in as an Premier audio company will have my $$$ till they stop listening to what the customers want as they deliver and then some you may not even ask for!
Right on the money audiofan1, I couldn't agree more. I wish Oppo would reconsider and come out with a prepro that has a top tier room correction system a la Dirac or Trinnov. They could make it right and more affordable that any other gear company out there.
post #11709 of 11874 Old 06-12-2014, 05:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Because you need the new Krell Streamer.

And where does it say that this box does multichannel?

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #11710 of 11874 Old 06-12-2014, 05:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam88 View Post
Right on the money audiofan1, I couldn't agree more. I wish Oppo would reconsider and come out with a prepro that has a top tier room correction system a la Dirac or Trinnov. They could make it right and more affordable that any other gear company out there.
When they do, they also need to come up with a better GUI for streaming. The current one is crude and limited.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #11711 of 11874 Old 06-12-2014, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
And where does it say that this box does multichannel?
Now you're just being picky. Suppose you want it to make toast for you too?

Growing Older But Not Up
post #11712 of 11874 Old 06-12-2014, 06:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Now you're just being picky. Suppose you want it to make toast for you too?
That might be nice but I'd settle for multichannel which I am doing with an external PC/JRiver-based streamer. Aside from Oppo, who is putting that into what is already a multichannel product?

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #11713 of 11874 Old 06-12-2014, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 216
J River can be used to send multi-channel content to the BDP-10x players via DLNA.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #11714 of 11874 Old 06-12-2014, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
in case you have not heard, AVS is moving back to v Bulletin tomorrow: see link in my sig

it will be like coming home again
I apparently hate home then....This is absolute garbage so far. WOOOOOO for cool new emoticons!!!! That is about it. I won't be around much longer unless they go back to however it used to be. I am all for change, but not regression.
audiofan1 and WereWolf84 like this.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #11715 of 11874 Old 06-12-2014, 09:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
J River can be used to send multi-channel content to the BDP-10x players via DLNA.
Rich
As noted.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #11716 of 11874 Old 06-12-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
When they do, they also need to come up with a better GUI for streaming. The current one is crude and limited.
Yeah, definitely an area were they can improve.
post #11717 of 11874 Old 06-12-2014, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam88 View Post
I wish Oppo would reconsider and come out with a prepro that has a top tier room correction system a la Dirac or Trinnov. They could make it right and more affordable that any other gear company out there
I like the idea of an Oppo AV Surround Processor- ie. top-notch performance at a great price. However there's a lot of parts and piece's that need to be taken into consideration to perform optimally. Major development costs, making it difficult (I believe), to compete with the larger more commercial manufacturer's.
post #11718 of 11874 Old 06-12-2014, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post
I like the idea of an Oppo AV Surround Processor- ie. top-notch performance at a great price. However there's a lot of parts and piece's that need to be taken into consideration to perform optimally. Major development costs, making it difficult (I believe), to compete with the larger more commercial manufacturer's.

All true indeed as its a daunting task for any company but given they really already have a somewhat pre/pro in the 105, which does somethings current pre pro's can't given how close they are already I feel its just a matter of time, but look out when they do.
post #11719 of 11874 Old 06-12-2014, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by JimP
Quote: Originally Posted by markrubin

in case you have not heard, AVS is moving back to v Bulletin tomorrow: see link in my sig

it will be like coming home again

What does that mean for the average user?

You've been here for 12 years, so it will be like going back a couple of years to before they moved over to Huddler. vBulletin is the software the forum ran on before they moved to Huddler a couple of years ago. No doubt there will be some small changes as vB will likely have had updates in the meantime, but it will be mostly the same as it was before Huddler. As with all things in life, there will be some Huddler features that you will miss (eg embedding images directly into posts) and some vB features you will welcome back - swings and roundabouts etc.
I still prefer kawf as the best

Reggie

Family Room:

70" Sharp Elite/Marantz AV8801/MM8801/GoldenEar Triton Twos-center channel and surrounds/Oppo BDP-105/Directv Genie/Marantz Turntable

Basement: 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000/Marantz AV8003/Marantz MM8003/PSB Stratus Gold Front,Center,Left, Surrounds

post #11720 of 11874 Old 06-12-2014, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Wink

Quote:
Quote: Originally Posted by RichB
Quote: Originally Posted by Woof Woof

Most Americans don't understand the mark ups in Europe and UK.

We used to see gear selling for say $2,500 in US sell for 2,500 QUID in the UK. Which could be close to 3500 bucks depending on the prevailing exchange rates.

So don't get freaked out by the Euro selling price.

It's better to check what the 8801 retailed for at launch in Europe. Chances are you will see it is the same as what the 8802 is slated to be selling at RRP.

Yeah, but the UK get Value Added

- Rich

Hahahahaha. We do. We get 20 percent of extra value added to everything we buy! Isn't that fantastic? You guys buy a unit for $1,000 and you don't get a single thing of value added by Uncle Sam. But we pay just $1,700 for the same thing, but at least that price includes added value of a full 20%. I can see you're green with envy

And we even get to pay well over $10 for a gallon of gas thanks to the government not just adding value to it but also adding Duty to it as well. And to make sure we are really well looked after, they add value to the Duty as well so collecting some tax on tax - how clever is that? Our taxes themselves are taxed!

Imagine paying, as I do, $170 to fill your car with gas every week. Now that is what I call adding value!
I suspect your volume knobs go to 11 whereas ours are only 10

Reggie

Family Room:

70" Sharp Elite/Marantz AV8801/MM8801/GoldenEar Triton Twos-center channel and surrounds/Oppo BDP-105/Directv Genie/Marantz Turntable

Basement: 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000/Marantz AV8003/Marantz MM8003/PSB Stratus Gold Front,Center,Left, Surrounds

post #11721 of 11874 Old 06-12-2014, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
I apparently hate home then....This is absolute garbage so far. WOOOOOO for cool new emoticons!!!! That is about it. I won't be around much longer unless they go back to however it used to be. I am all for change, but not regression.
+1 I prefer the previous version as well
post #11722 of 11874 Old 06-12-2014, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Have you tried using the iPad app? I heard it's quite user friendly and it doesn't need the TV or projector to be on.
post #11723 of 11874 Old 06-12-2014, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
I can't seem to get the "go to New post" to work. It takes me to the right page but just to the top.
post #11724 of 11874 Old 06-13-2014, 01:09 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
I agree 100%,this sucks badly!!!

It is ugly, less intuitive and functions are missing. Plus it spams my email with updates that are formatted in a way my Outlook cannot decipher.

What the hell where they thinking, when they decided that this was a good idea??
post #11725 of 11874 Old 06-13-2014, 05:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof View Post
Have you tried using the iPad app? I heard it's quite user friendly and it doesn't need the TV or projector to be on.
Eh. Better but not great if you have experienced a high-quality GUI.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #11726 of 11874 Old 06-13-2014, 08:55 AM
585-645-1006

Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 1333
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjazdk View Post
I agree 100%,this sucks badly!!!

It is ugly, less intuitive and functions are missing. Plus it spams my email with updates that are formatted in a way my Outlook cannot decipher.

What the hell where they thinking, when they decided that this was a good idea??
Keep in mind the platform used is based on what the owner uses. The founder used this same platform vBulletin from 1999 - 2012. Then Huddler bought AVSForum in 2012 and so they used their own Huddler platform from 2012-2014. Now, Vertical Scope has purchased AVSForum from Huddler and so is using what they use with their other community forums which is vBulletin again.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #11727 of 11874 Old 06-13-2014, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 63
You guys do get "free" health care. I pay $500/mo for health care and I think my employer pays another $1200/mo. Also, our medicine is much more expensive, for the same medicine.

If you factor in things like never having to worry about losing your home to pay for long-term nursing care (this eventually happens to most elderly folks here), I think the UK has it better off. That's not to count all the extra programs that help the poor.

I have to admit $10/gallon for gas is nuts. I guess they don't sell too many SUV's there!

Quote:
Hahahahaha. We do. We get 20 percent of extra value added to everything we buy!  Isn't that fantastic?  You guys buy a unit for $1,000 and you don't get a single thing of value added by Uncle Sam. But we pay just $1,700 for the same thing, but at least that price includes added value of a full 20%. I can see you're green with envy

Premise, a FREE home automation program. Open-source Z-Wave Premise Module found here.
post #11728 of 11874 Old 06-14-2014, 04:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etc6849 View Post
You guys do get "free" health care. I pay $500/mo for health care and I think my employer pays another $1200/mo. Also, our medicine is much more expensive, for the same medicine.

If you factor in things like never having to worry about losing your home to pay for long-term nursing care (this eventually happens to most elderly folks here), I think the UK has it better off. That's not to count all the extra programs that help the poor.

I have to admit $10/gallon for gas is nuts. I guess they don't sell too many SUV's there!
We can't continue this here as it is way OT, but I will just comment on your comments above before I leave it.

We do have "free" health care, except it costs us through our taxes and it is often terrible health care. We have the lowest survival rates in Europe, for example, for many forms of cancer. Almost weekly there are horror stories of neglect and low quality patient care. A recent investigation revealed that one hospital alone had resulted in 1,200 needless deaths due to low quality care. Nobody was prosecuted, nobody was fired. Google NHS Mid Staffs Hospital if you want to know more. The standard of treatment and care is so poor that those of us who can afford it insure ourselves, USA style, for 'private' treatment, so we end up paying twice. If you ever come to the UK, be sure to have your Medical Insurance with you - trust me, you would not want to go into an NHS hospital willingly.

Also, Brits do lose their homes to pay for long-term nursing care. It is only provided by the State when a person has very little assets of their own, including their own home which they are expected to sell to pay for their care. I have no problem with that and see no reason why the taxpayer should pony up when someone has a home that could be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, and which they no longer need for obvious reasons.

There are programs to help the poor but In am sure the USA has those too. The cost of these programs is very high, which is why our overall tax burden is so high, including the 20% sales tax that originated this discussion. 'Tax Freedom Day' in the UK this year was 28th May. That means that every penny earned by a person this year went to the government in income tax up until 28 May. And that does not include indirect taxations like sales tax, insurance tax, council (local government) tax, fuel tax and so on. By contrast, Tax Freedom Day for the USA was 3rd April - almost two whole months sooner.

Our social care and welfare programs are so costly that all of the money raised through income tax is not enough to pay for welfare! This means that every penny of income tax a person pays goes to welfare for other people. Not a penny of income tax paid is spent on the person paying it, unless they also happen to receive welfare, as many do. In fact over 50% of the UK population receives welfare of some form or other.

If the Mods see fit to delete this post, I fully understand but hopefully you will have seen it before they do.
post #11729 of 11874 Old 06-14-2014, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 568
All I will say is, we aren't too far behind now from being right there with ya when it comes to all that. You basically just described the us in another 10 years if things progress.
Dave Vaughn likes this.
post #11730 of 11874 Old 06-14-2014, 06:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
All I will say is, we aren't too far behind now from being right there with ya when it comes to all that. You basically just described the us in another 10 years if things progress.
Yes, I am flabbergasted that the US voted for socialisation of healthcare. It is a disaster - we should know, we invented it!
Dave Vaughn and erhurd like this.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Ken Kreisel Dxd 12012 Subwoofer , Marantz Av8801 , Receivers Amplifiers , Audyssey , Integra
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page