Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread - Page 399 - AVS Forum
First ... 397  398  399 400  401  ... Last
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread
neverwouldof's Avatar neverwouldof 11:57 AM 08-20-2014
I just bought AV 8801 and MM8077 Amp. Question is how can I Bi-amp my Von Schweikert VR4-Jr Front speakers?

I thought I would plug in to the SL and SR outputs on amp and change settings in the processor, don't see an option.

Keith

neverwouldof's Avatar neverwouldof 11:57 AM 08-20-2014
I just bought AV 8801 and MM8077 Amp. Question is how can I Bi-amp my Von Schweikert VR4-Jr Front speakers?

I thought I would plug in to the SL and SR outputs on amp and change settings in the processor, don't see an option.

Keith
AlxG's Avatar AlxG 12:13 PM 08-20-2014
I also have VR-4Jr's and AV8801, unfortunately there is no option to set it up in the bi-amp mode.

Just use the RCA y-cable to drive 2 amps from a single Right or Left output. This setup sounds the best when driving Gemstone amp.

I wasn't getting good results with XLR y-cable setup, perhaps due to strange input impedance loading of my amps.

The Jr's sound much better when bi-amped.
AlxG's Avatar AlxG 12:22 PM 08-20-2014
I forgot to mention, be carefully with your amp when bi-amping the lower section of your VR-4Jr. Your amp may not like driving 2.3 ohms load across the bass section.
neverwouldof's Avatar neverwouldof 02:43 PM 08-20-2014
Could you explain that further? Lovely I spent the money to get XLR cables across the board.... So if I use RCA Y's to the amps channels 1&2 of 7 , the higher and lower section of speakers are different ohm loads?

Should I sell the amp and get some Parasound A21's, I really can't believe you can't bi-amp a $3000 AV Receiver
Selden Ball's Avatar Selden Ball 02:49 PM 08-20-2014
The AV8801 is not a receiver: it's a preamp/processor. Since it doesn't include internal amps, it doesn't need to include internal biamp features that receivers have to include. Whether or not you bi-amp is determined by how you connect it to the external amps that you have to add to it anyhow.
AlxG's Avatar AlxG 11:06 PM 08-20-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by neverwouldof View Post
Could you explain that further? Lovely I spent the money to get XLR cables across the board.... So if I use RCA Y's to the amps channels 1&2 of 7 , the higher and lower section of speakers are different ohm loads?

Should I sell the amp and get some Parasound A21's, I really can't believe you can't bi-amp a $3000 AV Receiver
Yo got it, you can use either XLR or RCA y-splitter to route AV8801 left output and feed channel 1&2 of your amp, then route right output and feed channel 3&4 of your amp. Try both configurations to determine which one sounds best to you. In my case, I wasn't able to find an XLR y-splitter that sounded to to me. So I ended-up not-bi-amping my speakers (just bi-wiring) because my amp sounds the best through the XLR path.

Based on my measurements, the impedance of mids/highs VR-4Jr enclosure varies from 4 to 8 ohms across various frequency ranges.
The bass enclosure varies from 2.3 ohms from 60 to 120Hz and closer to 3~4 ohms at other frequencies.

I'm not sure if the Parasound amp can drive 2.3ohms loads for a long period of time at very loud levels without frying it. It will get HOT.

My amp is a Simaudio Aurora replica, so it easily drives my speakers via XLR or RCA when bi-amped.
Franin's Avatar Franin 07:49 AM 08-21-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post
I have mine which is about a month old if anyone is looking.
MARANTZ AV 8801 like new

Sticker is still on it!
Upgrading to the 8803 Joe?
joerod's Avatar joerod 08:06 AM 08-21-2014
Possibly eventually. First is the 7009 and Onkyo 3030 Reviews.
Franin's Avatar Franin 08:17 AM 08-21-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post
Possibly eventually. First is the 7009 and Onkyo 3030 Reviews.
If I remember correctly you also have a Mcintosh ?
Waboman's Avatar Waboman 08:38 AM 08-21-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
Upgrading to the 8803 Joe?
So we're skipping right over the 8802? I'll wait for the 8809.
Franin's Avatar Franin 10:35 AM 08-21-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Lol good pick up
admranger's Avatar admranger 10:45 PM 08-21-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
The 8901 will be so much better.
Franin's Avatar Franin 06:26 AM 08-22-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger View Post
The 8901 will be so much better.
I'm looking forward to that one. That has hdmi 9.0B.
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 06:42 AM 08-22-2014
Yup ... and 16k video as well.
Franin's Avatar Franin 07:40 AM 08-22-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Yup ... and 16k video as well.
Im there
bdp2008's Avatar bdp2008 01:42 PM 08-23-2014
I recently bought the AV8801, but I am having a strange issue. The subwoofer is not active on certain inputs and I can't figure out why. Specifically, and most importantly, it's not active when using the two channel balanced inputs. When that input is selected, all of the subwoofer settings are grayed out and inaccessible. How do I make the sub active for all inputs? Thanks.
Dave Vaughn's Avatar Dave Vaughn 01:51 PM 08-23-2014
Dig through the setup menu...there's an option in there somewhere, but I don't remember where. I had the exact same issue a while back. I turned it off accidentally using D-remote.
Chopsus's Avatar Chopsus 03:33 PM 08-23-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdp2008 View Post
I recently bought the AV8801, but I am having a strange issue. The subwoofer is not active on certain inputs and I can't figure out why. Specifically, and most importantly, it's not active when using the two channel balanced inputs. When that input is selected, all of the subwoofer settings are grayed out and inaccessible. How do I make the sub active for all inputs? Thanks.
Try pressing and holding the Music Mode on the remote, then select Stereo.

It sounds as though One of the Direct Modes has been selected on that (and other) input(s) which by design can't include the LFE channel if it's not there (ie in stereo media).
dlynch34's Avatar dlynch34 07:03 PM 08-23-2014
Has anyone experienced an issue with their Marantz that it doesn't seem to output video? I get sound but no video. I have changed outputs from main 1 to main 2. Nothing. I bypassed the receiver then I get video...Anyone have any suggestions?
JaremyP's Avatar JaremyP 07:32 PM 08-23-2014
At a fairly close price point, would you take an AV8801 or an AV7702?

Consider that you may not end up running Atmos for a good long while and that a new unit is needed eventually anyway for HDCP 2.2.
Chopsus's Avatar Chopsus 09:05 PM 08-23-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlynch34 View Post
Has anyone experienced an issue with their Marantz that it doesn't seem to output video? I get sound but no video. I have changed outputs from main 1 to main 2. Nothing. I bypassed the receiver then I get video...Anyone have any suggestions?

Try

Settings>Video>HDMI Setup>Video Output

Either set it to the connected display (as per the back panel) or set it to dual and it should output to either when turned on.

If you are swapping cables while on you may have confused it, or worse, blown the HDMI card as the voltage in the cable itself is known to short on hot plugging - so be careful and switch it all off when fiddling.
Selden Ball's Avatar Selden Ball 05:04 AM 08-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaremyP View Post
At a fairly close price point, would you take an AV8801 or an AV7702?

Consider that you may not end up running Atmos for a good long while and that a new unit is needed eventually anyway for HDCP 2.2.
I'd get the 7702 because it includes Audyssey MultEQ XT32. The 7701 has only Audyssey MultEQ XT. XT32 provides substantially better room EQ than XT does.
dlynch34's Avatar dlynch34 07:51 AM 08-24-2014
still no go on video on my unit... it seems to have lost all video including the menu osd. Wondering since I have had it over a year if Marantz will address it or not... Does anyone know of any hard reset I can do? I left it unplugged all night with no success.
Chopsus's Avatar Chopsus 08:10 AM 08-24-2014
Quote:
still no go on video on my unit... it seems to have lost all video including the menu osd. Wondering since I have had it over a year if Marantz will address it or not... Does anyone know of any hard reset I can do? I left it unplugged all night with no success.
It sounds like the HDMI board is fried ... Marantz have. Two year warranty (worldwide I think) so it should be covered.

I hope this is not another Onkyo/Integra HDMI like debarkle, as I just bought an 8801 to replace an Integra 80.3 with a shot HDMI board.
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 08:32 AM 08-24-2014
Quote:
First try powering off and disconnecting ALL devices for at least 10 minutes. Then reconnect and power on the TV, wait 4-5 seconds, power on the 8801, wait 4-5 seconds, power on the source device. Sometimes it just takes a bit longer for a secure HDMI handshake. If no joy, then you can do a microprocessor reset (p. 186 Owner's manual) and if still no joy, the 8801 has a 3 year warranty if purchased from an authorized dealer so call Marantz tomorrow.
bobpaule's Avatar bobpaule 11:16 AM 08-24-2014
AV8801 in da house. Former PR-SC5509 owner.

Smaller, OMG 1/3 the depth of the Onkyo.

Looks good, such a beautiful sight to see it and the UD9004 in the rack.

Setup a breeze, only moment of doubt came when I was looking to assign the 7.1 analog inputs, it would have been nice to have it on the Inputs weegee board. Kudos to Marantz for that one single page, what a breeze. Finding a decent printable diagram of the rear to mark my inputs for Harmony programming a whole another story.

All speakers LARGE, no LFE, no EQ/Audyssey. Treated room with fiberglass panel to insulate a small ship and Paradigm S8 and matched 7.1.

The sound stage albeit filtered at the front by the CP700 in proc. bypass mode is wide and detailed, YES detail like never before, I had listened to Quadrophrenia BD-A at least 3 times this past 2 weeks, let me reassure you that the difference is clear, and comes in the most subtle details, some surprising, such as the musicians breathing at times. Can't comment on stereo as I have a balanced stage bypassing the processor entirely.

The biggest surprise was when I went downstairs for my AM workout, the only time I listen to compressed music in my home, put on the Roku M2000, but now there is a whole new level of quality differentiation among the 8-10 stations I saved as top quality, resulting in no workout but comparative listening (NSTEMI later?), Traxx.fm Dance/Trance the ultimate winner. The night before Mr. Nobody on Netflix sounded very detailed, picture obviously good in bypass mode on a PS3/HC5/110" setup.

Very satisfied to say the least.
dlynch34's Avatar dlynch34 08:59 AM 08-25-2014
anyone else have to deal with Marantz for service? So far no luck with their tech support or service center. One tells me to talk to the other etc... this is very frustrating. The service center is telling me if I have had it for over a year it is not under warranty...ugh...
Selden Ball's Avatar Selden Ball 09:34 AM 08-25-2014
You might try contacting whoever you bought it from to get the correct problem reporting procedures. As JD mentioned above, the 8801 has a 3 year warranty if you bought it from an authorized reseller.

FWIW, the one time I reported a problem with one of my pieces of Marantz equipment (not an 8801), I described the problem in an email that I sent to the address in the manual, and they told me to ship it to the repair center. That email from them was all that was needed to get it fixed. I had purchased it from a local brick-and-mortar store, though, and they took care of the shipping for me, offering a loaner while it was out. That's one of the reasons I do business with them, although their prices are not the lowest.
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 02:59 AM 08-26-2014
Quote:
anyone else have to deal with Marantz for service? So far no luck with their tech support or service center. One tells me to talk to the other etc... this is very frustrating. The service center is telling me if I have had it for over a year it is not under warranty...ugh...
If you purchased a "refurbished" unit then yes, there is only a 1 year warranty; however, if purchased with a credit card, many card issuers will add an extra year and if that is the case, you can likely get it repaired via the credit card issuer.
Tags: Ken Kreisel Dxd 12012 Subwoofer , Marantz Av8801 , Receivers Amplifiers , Audyssey , Integra
First ... 397  398  399 400  401  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop