Forum Jump: 

post #11971 of 11989 Old 08-26-2014, 07:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
If you purchased a "refurbished" unit then yes, there is only a 1 year warranty; however, if purchased with a credit card, many card issuers will add an extra year and if that is the case, you can likely get it repaired via the credit card issuer.

no it is not a refurbished unit. I have been trying to get a hold of the dealer I bought it from with no luck. Apparently Marantz will not even validate the status of my unit via serial number. I guess I am spoiled I never had these problems with Anthem. They asked for serial number and took care of it from there. This is a deal breaker for me if a company has this level of complexity to get a unit repaired. I wouldn't totally care if I had to pay to get another board put in but it seems their repair shop doesn't want to even touch it..

Don Lynch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11972 of 11989 Old 08-27-2014, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlynch34 View Post
no it is not a refurbished unit. I have been trying to get a hold of the dealer I bought it from with no luck. Apparently Marantz will not even validate the status of my unit via serial number. I guess I am spoiled I never had these problems with Anthem. They asked for serial number and took care of it from there. This is a deal breaker for me if a company has this level of complexity to get a unit repaired. I wouldn't totally care if I had to pay to get another board put in but it seems their repair shop doesn't want to even touch it..
Who is the dealer you bought it from? This does not sound at all like Marantz. And why can't you contact your dealer?

Reggie
Family Room:
70" Sharp Elite/Marantz AV8801/MM8801/GoldenEar: Triton Twos, SuperCenter XLcenter channel, and SuperSat 60 surrounds/Oppo BDP-105/Directv Genie/ HP Notebook
Basement: 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000/Marantz AV8003/Marantz MM8003/PSB Stratus Gold Front,Center,Left, Surrounds
post #11973 of 11989 Old 08-27-2014, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:

I would try again with Marantz support with your serial number.
If you explain the situation, you should be able to get help.

If not... escalate the issue. Reports like this are bad for business

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15

Last edited by RichB; 08-27-2014 at 09:00 AM.
post #11974 of 11989 Old 08-27-2014, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Wow, that reflects really bad on Marantz's part.
post #11975 of 11989 Old 08-27-2014, 10:52 AM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiguy3 View Post
Who is the dealer you bought it from? This does not sound at all like Marantz. And why can't you contact your dealer?
eBay/Audiogon/etc. I'd bet.

I have no trouble at all dealing with Marantz. Nor my customers with me. Any valid dealer would have given you a receipt, showing their business information. The sales receipt from an authorized dealer, like me, would be your ticket to service should your dealer be unable to assist.

Quote:
Wow, that reflects really bad on Marantz's part.
I respectfully disagree. There is not enough information to point any fingers at Marantz.
post #11976 of 11989 Old 08-27-2014, 10:58 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 755 Post(s)
Liked: 1418
Quote:
Doesn't surprise me that a CSR would not be able to track a serial number to a particular dealer to confirm if they are authorized or not. Easy enough to just check Marantz's website if there is any doubt as to whether your dealer is authorized. Although in some cases, smaller unauthorized dealers may have their own warranty, so definitely worth contacting them.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #11977 of 11989 Old 08-28-2014, 03:19 PM

Location: San Diego County, southern California, USA, Planet Earth
Liked: 39
A question for owners of the AV8801/MM8077 combo: which component runs warmer/hotter? Is anyone stacking the components atop one another? Looking at my equipment rack and visualizing those components in it instead of my current SR7005 AVR.

Is it safe to stack the components in this fashion (with the AV8801 on top)? My equipment rack is an open shelf design with plenty of ventilation as illustrated by the photo below:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Marantz_combo.jpg (112.4 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg erh_HT_71.jpg (158.7 KB, 95 views)

Edwin R. Hurd
AVS Forums Lurker-In-Training!

My Tight-space A/V Setup
post #11978 of 11989 Old 08-28-2014, 04:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by erhurd View Post
....Is it safe to stack the components in this fashion (with the AV8801 on top)? My equipment rack is an open shelf design with plenty of ventilation as illustrated by the photo below:..
You need to move the amp to the bottom, and even better far away from the optical drives ideally on a separate rack or amp stand.

Leave at least 3 inches if you put a fan in pull mode on top, or more if no fan.

Panamax also needs its own room, if voltage regulating model then at least 4". The very top over the rack is a good place for it, makes for easy connections too.

Put a 120mm flat laying over gel pads or window insulation cutouts (Walmart has the ones adhesive on one side) pulling air from the mid-rear top plate, get a 3.5mm mono male-male cable and send a trigger to your Panamax to fire up the fan when the 8801 starts up:

http://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-LS.../dp/B009OWVUJ0

If you need a new rack and have a giant plumbing wrench Salamander Archetype are infinitely adjustable, bomb proof, and bottoms can be drilled through for extra amplifier air flow. Mine has the Saturn lockable wheels not shown here:

Oh, and move those mains to the desktop willya? Sry had to be bad
erhurd likes this.

Last edited by bobpaule; 08-28-2014 at 05:11 PM.
post #11979 of 11989 Old 08-28-2014, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter
exm
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I would not stack these. They both get very hot, and you are talking about an expensive piece of furniture.

Originally my AV8801 had 1" of clearance, and I actually bought a taller shelf for my rack to give me an extra 2" (3" in total). And 1" clearance is much more than what you are suggesting.
post #11980 of 11989 Old 08-28-2014, 08:00 PM

I appreciate responses and suggestions, bobpaule and exm! Thank you both for taking the time…

If I were to stack the combo I would certainly place the AV8801 on top. I have been following this thread for quite some time and I'm aware of pre-pro's noteriety for running hot. My SR7005, on the other hand, runs very cool all of the time which allowed me to safely place my power line conditioner directly atop it. I am really more interested in hearing temperature reports, accounts or anecdotes regarding the MM8077 from current or past owners. I rarely push my equipment anywhere near reference level. I may have played my SR7005 at -10dB for a few moments a month or so after I bought it. That was more than enough!!!

My current equipment shelf allows me a lot of flexibility in that it offers many adjustable position opportunities; I can add and remove shelving as needed with it.

The coming price breaks on the combo will make owning the equipment a much more attractive proposition for me. I have no interest in Atmos as I don't have any (current) interest in purchasing any more speakers.

BTW: I've upgraded the bookshelves for towers as mains and the bookshelves now serve as surround speakers…
audiofan1 likes this.

Edwin R. Hurd

My Tight-space A/V Setup

Last edited by erhurd; 08-28-2014 at 08:04 PM. Reason: update info
post #11981 of 11989 Old Yesterday, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobpaule View Post
Oh, and move those mains to the desktop willya? Sry had to be bad
Per your quest:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg erh_HT_113.jpg (175.7 KB, 63 views)

Edwin R. Hurd

My Tight-space A/V Setup
post #11982 of 11989 Old Today, 05:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 23
OMFG, you drank it, your wife must hate me

Definitely thumbs up!
erhurd likes this.
post #11983 of 11989 Old Today, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Per your quest:

Nice rig.
Now, all you have to do is start selling sound-improving slinky's.

- Rich
erhurd likes this.

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #11984 of 11989 Old Today, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
A question for owners of the AV8801/MM8077 combo: which component runs warmer/hotter? Is anyone stacking the components atop one another? Looking at my equipment rack and visualizing those components in it instead of my current SR7005 AVR.

Is it safe to stack the components in this fashion (with the AV8801 on top)? My equipment rack is an open shelf design with plenty of ventilation as illustrated by the photo below. The shelf above the 8801 also has holes in it (as does the shelf holding the 8801) to allow for more ventilation.

I found the 8801 to run much hotter than the amp. I would not put anything on top of it. I have looked at the temps and they are about 130°F on top. Here is a picture of my system:

Reggie
Family Room:
70" Sharp Elite/Marantz AV8801/MM8801/GoldenEar: Triton Twos, SuperCenter XLcenter channel, and SuperSat 60 surrounds/Oppo BDP-105/Directv Genie/ HP Notebook
Basement: 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000/Marantz AV8003/Marantz MM8003/PSB Stratus Gold Front,Center,Left, Surrounds
post #11985 of 11989 Old Today, 08:36 AM

Quote:
I found the 8801 to run much hotter than the amp. I would not put anything on top of it. I have looked at the temps and they are about 130°F on top.
Thanks for sharing the photo image of your very beautiful and very functional setup, Audioguy3. What about your amplifier temperature? I have stated earlier that my intent is to stack the pre-pro on top of the amplifier. I have been lucky with my SR7005 AVR because it runs barely warm to the touch. Even on warmer days in my non-air conditioned house in San Diego it runs cool. I understand that we are discussing completely different products.

I am seeking information regarding the running temperature(s) of the MM8077 amplifier. Does the amp run cooler than the AV8801 pre-pro? How much?

Edwin R. Hurd

My Tight-space A/V Setup
post #11986 of 11989 Old Today, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for sharing the photo image of your very beautiful and very functional setup, Audioguy3. What about your amplifier temperature? I have stated earlier that my intent is to stack the pre-pro on top of the amplifier. I have been lucky with my SR7005 AVR because it runs barely warm to the touch. Even on warmer days in my non-air conditioned house in San Diego it runs cool. I understand that we are discussing completely different products.

I am seeking information regarding the running temperature(s) of the MM8077 amplifier. Does the amp run cooler than the AV8801 pre-pro? How much?

I had my 8801 an open shelf with 4 inches above and 6 inches above a Parasound A51. The 8801 got hot in the center back so I connected a USB powered fan to the rear USB power (Gelid 12 UV Blue) and had it blow across from the back. The temperature dropped significantly. The 8801 can power the fan on power off/on if you disable the Ethernet hub and select the rear usb port instead of the front port.

- Rich
erhurd likes this.

Oppo Beta Group

post #11987 of 11989 Old Today, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I will measure the temps later this afternoon.

Reggie
Family Room:
post #11988 of 11989 Old Today, 10:05 AM

Quote:
I will measure the temps later this afternoon.
Looking forward to your post and thanks much for your time, effort and energy!

I noticed in your photo that the MM8077 does not seem to have a lot of overhead space. I am thinking (hoping) that it does not run hot, unless you're using a fan on it (as well).

Edwin R. Hurd

My Tight-space A/V Setup
post #11989 of 11989 Old Today, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
Nice rig.
Now, all you have to do is start selling sound-improving slinky's.

- Rich
I'm hoping you will volunteer to be my first customer, Rich! You can purchase the one you eyed in the photo image…

Edwin R. Hurd

My Tight-space A/V Setup
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Ken Kreisel Dxd 12012 Subwoofer , Marantz Av8801 , Receivers Amplifiers , Audyssey , Integra
Gear in this thread - Av8801 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page