post #12001 of 12009 Old Yesterday, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiguy3 View Post
I you listen to the podcast of Leo Laporte Show for yesterday - Saturday 30 August he has Scott Wilkinson on (at the 45min mark on) and he talks about how Audyssey limits sound to 44khz - that one should turn off Audyssey if listening to music.

http://twit.tv/show/the-tech-guy/1113

I would go as far as saying it can sound spectacular with music even with limitation! multi/ch sacd with Auydyssey engaged is something special as far as 2/ch (with sub) it can even sound good as well. For movies its a no brainier and I believe the sampling rate is limited to 48khz not 44khz .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12002 of 12009 Old Yesterday, 02:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiguy3 View Post
I you listen to the podcast of Leo Laporte Show for yesterday - Saturday 30 August he has Scott Wilkinson on (at the 45min mark on) and he talks about how Audyssey limits sound to 44khz - that one should turn off Audyssey if listening to music.

http://twit.tv/show/the-tech-guy/1113

I strongly disagree. In the majority of rooms, room correction will make a greater improvement in the overall sound than will incremental differences in sampling frequency.
Dave Vaughn and audiofan1 like this.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #12003 of 12009 Old Yesterday, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Liked: 265
I 100% agree with Kal.

* And yes; 48, not 44kHz.
post #12004 of 12009 Old Yesterday, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar2k4 View Post
I know others besides myself have experienced the dreaded no audio, only video via HDMI. I have only had the unit for a couple weeks and for the life of me I can't put my finger on the exact cause. When I use my AppleTV I never have the issue, but with my Oppo it is quite frequent. Seems to happen when I go from the menu of the disc which may be a 2.0 DD track to the movie itself which is in the DTS-HD. What's weird is that this doesn't happen every time. Has there been any progress on solving this problem or at least a reason as to why it happens? It is rather frustrating that I have not had this problem with my CX-A5000 or, well, any other processor I have owned for that matter.
I have the same gear (pre/pro & projector) except my Oppo is the 103. (In fact, I originally had the Yamaha and quickly traded it in for the Marantz, so we may have been separated at birth.)

I am starting to suspect the Oppo as the "no audio" culprit. If I switch the Oppo from bitstream to LPCM, I always get sound. Switch back to bitstream, no sound. Any ideas how we'd determine the true culprit? Factory reset of the Oppo didn't help, I think tonight I'll try resetting the Marantz.
post #12005 of 12009 Old Yesterday, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweissman View Post
I have the same gear (pre/pro & projector) except my Oppo is the 103. (In fact, I originally had the Yamaha and quickly traded it in for the Marantz, so we may have been separated at birth.)

I am starting to suspect the Oppo as the "no audio" culprit. If I switch the Oppo from bitstream to LPCM, I always get sound. Switch back to bitstream, no sound. Any ideas how we'd determine the true culprit? Factory reset of the Oppo didn't help, I think tonight I'll try resetting the Marantz.
Yeah, it is an extremely frustrating problem to have given the cost of the equipment. So you're saying this is an Oppo/Marantz only problem? That's even more infuriating. I have considered the LPCM route as well, but I really don't want to have to go that direction. Let me know if you have any luck.

The Cave: Sony VPL-VW600ES, 110" Elite Fixed, Oppo BDP-103D, Apple TV 3, Marantz AV8801, 3 x Emotiva XPA-1 Gen2 , 4 x Emotiva XPA-1L, MartinLogan Motion 60XT, MartinLogan Motion 50XT, 4 x MartinLogan MotionFX, 2 x Rythmik FV15HP
post #12006 of 12009 Old Yesterday, 10:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar2k4 View Post
Yeah, it is an extremely frustrating problem to have given the cost of the equipment. So you're saying this is an Oppo/Marantz only problem? That's even more infuriating. I have considered the LPCM route as well, but I really don't want to have to go that direction. Let me know if you have any luck.
Resetting the 8801's microprocessor fixed the problem. I am again getting audio from my Oppo via bitstream. Time will tell whether it stays fixed.

Using LPCM really isn't a problem, I just like to see the 8801 display what it's decoding.

Give it a try when you have time to re-do Audyssey and other setup items.
post #12007 of 12009 Old Today, 05:49 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweissman View Post
Resetting the 8801's microprocessor fixed the problem. I am again getting audio from my Oppo via bitstream. Time will tell whether it stays fixed.

Using LPCM really isn't a problem, I just like to see the 8801 display what it's decoding.

Give it a try when you have time to re-do Audyssey and other setup items.
Hard to believe the solution may be that simple. Like you, I like to see what the processor is decoding and that's why it ultimately matters to me. Before I reset mine I'll wait a bit and see what results you get.

The Cave: Sony VPL-VW600ES, 110" Elite Fixed, Oppo BDP-103D, Apple TV 3, Marantz AV8801, 3 x Emotiva XPA-1 Gen2 , 4 x Emotiva XPA-1L, MartinLogan Motion 60XT, MartinLogan Motion 50XT, 4 x MartinLogan MotionFX, 2 x Rythmik FV15HP
post #12008 of 12009 Old Today, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Don't forget that

a) You can do a "soft reset" by unplugging the unit from the wall for 10 minutes. This often fixes some problems.

b) You can save the pre/pro's Audyssey and other settings to a computer by using its Web interface save/load links. You then can restore them after doing a full reset. Be patient: each direction takes about 10 minutes. See the owner's manual's (overly brief) description on page 107.

Selden
post #12009 of 12009 Old Today, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Add me to the list of people whose AV8801 has given up the ghost. It seems like all audio "processing" has failed.

I can get the analog PHONO input to play audio when the amp is in Direct or Pure Direct, but not in "Stereo" mode. It's not outputting any audio using HDMI sources, or even in the speaker level setup screen - just some popping sounds every two seconds or so.

Argh!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Ken Kreisel Dxd 12012 Subwoofer , Marantz Av8801 , Receivers Amplifiers , Audyssey , Integra
Gear in this thread - Av8801 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page