Forum Jump: 

post #12091 of 12120 Old 09-16-2014, 12:13 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1003 Post(s)
Liked: 1502
^^
Doing so (on D&M models in general) has been shown to resolve issues that a single reset has not.
WLGeter likes this.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12092 of 12120 Old 09-16-2014, 01:03 PM
The Truth Hz

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
^^
Doing so (on D&M models in general) has been shown to resolve issues that a single reset has not.
So you just do it over and over again repeatedly 4-5 times? Interesting....

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12093 of 12120 Old 09-16-2014, 01:15 PM
585-645-1006

Yup. Pretty much. Maybe a coffee and bagel in between.

"JD" –

post #12094 of 12120 Old 09-16-2014, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Set Network setting to "Off in Standby", cycle the AVR OFF/ON and then try a SAVE again
That worked, thanks!
post #12095 of 12120 Old 09-16-2014, 08:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Guys need advise...Talking one of retailer and he was mentioning that currently AV8801 has lot of issues and Marantz is replacing a chip or something and pretty soon they will releasing version 2 of this model or maybe completely new model...how true is this statement.....
Was told to wait for couple of weeks....
post #12096 of 12120 Old 09-16-2014, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksarkar View Post
Guys need advise...Talking one of retailer and he was mentioning that currently AV8801 has lot of issues and Marantz is replacing a chip or something and pretty soon they will releasing version 2 of this model or maybe completely new model...how true is this statement.....
I had two triggers fail on my AV8801 but that is anecdotal and there are many more that have had no problems at all.

From the forums, it seems the AV8802 is not expected until Dec/Jan timeframe. The AV7702 has been upgraded to Audyssey XT32, Atmos, and similar HDAM modules as the current AV8801 and should be out soon. That will be cheaper than the AV8801 so a lot of folks have their eyes on it.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15

Last edited by RichB; Yesterday at 06:37 AM.
post #12097 of 12120 Old Yesterday, 03:34 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:

By "replacing a chip" and "version 2" he is likely referring to the fact that all of the 2014 models are HDMI 2.0 as opposed to the 8801 which is HDMI 1.4. As RichB notes the lower model AV7702 pre/pro should be released in October and the flagship AV8802 pre/pro should be released Jan 2015.

"JD" –

post #12098 of 12120 Old Yesterday, 06:22 AM
The Truth Hz

Quote:
Not an issue with mine for over a year now

On the 7702, will it have XLR? I am assuming not, which is unfortunate.

post #12099 of 12120 Old Yesterday, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Analog Inputs & OPPO 105 Question & Tubes

Hi All, long time lurker first time poster. This thread has been invaluable in deciding on a pre-amp purchase, eventually settled on the AV8801 as an upgrade to my Marantz SR6006. I have some questions I can't find answers to.

I am running PS3 HDMI bitstream --> AV8801--> Parasound A21 via XLR--> Salk Soundscape 8s run full range with "Bypass L/R" Audyssey selected.

1) Are the stereo analog XLR inputs on the AV8801 digitized? From everything I've read, it seems they are not if you select Direct/Pure Direct but they are in Stereo mode. Is this correct?

2) That being the case, how are most people connecting the Oppo 105 to the AV8801? You would want to make sure the signal is not re-digitized inside the AV8801 for 2 channel listening?

3) Lastly, I don't think I can live without Dynamic EQ for 2ch or HT use, but I want to get some tubes in the chain somewhere (for a reasonable price). I don't think a tube power amp is the solution, given the moderate sensitivity of the towers. The only thing I've come up with is a fully mod'd Modwright Oppo with the tube output stage, into XLR inputs, but then digitized to use DEQ. But it might be counter productive to redigitize the signal?

Maybe tubes are simply not a possibility in this setup.

Thank you all for your help.
post #12100 of 12120 Old Yesterday, 06:28 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Not an issue with mine for over a year now

On the 7702, will it have XLR? I am assuming not, which is unfortunate.
Of course it will. All Marantz pre/pros have XLR.

"JD" –

post #12101 of 12120 Old Yesterday, 06:45 AM
The Truth Hz

Quote:
Of course it will. All Marantz pre/pros have XLR.
Yep, looked it up and saw that. Sounds fun certainly a great option.

post #12102 of 12120 Old Yesterday, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyFive54950 View Post
Hi All, long time lurker first time poster. This thread has been invaluable in deciding on a pre-amp purchase, eventually settled on the AV8801 as an upgrade to my Marantz SR6006. I have some questions I can't find answers to.

I am running PS3 HDMI bitstream --> AV8801--> Parasound A21 via XLR--> Salk Soundscape 8s run full range with "Bypass L/R" Audyssey selected.

1) Are the stereo analog XLR inputs on the AV8801 digitized? From everything I've read, it seems they are not if you select Direct/Pure Direct but they are in Stereo mode. Is this correct?
Pure Direct can A/D convert when features like bass LFE+MAIN are engaged. Perhaps they are always A/D converted, IDK.

Quote:
2) That being the case, how are most people connecting the Oppo 105 to the AV8801? You would want to make sure the signal is not re-digitized inside the AV8801 for 2 channel listening?
Only the 7.1 analog inputs guarantee no A/D conversion.

Quote:
3) Lastly, I don't think I can live without Dynamic EQ for 2ch or HT use, but I want to get some tubes in the chain somewhere (for a reasonable price). I don't think a tube power amp is the solution, given the moderate sensitivity of the towers. The only thing I've come up with is a fully mod'd Modwright Oppo with the tube output stage, into XLR inputs, but then digitized to use DEQ. But it might be counter productive to redigitize the signal?
Then, XLR, HDMI, COAX, and HDMI will all work.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #12103 of 12120 Old Yesterday, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

Then, XLR, HDMI, COAX, and HDMI will all work.

- Rich
Thanks Rich, but is there any point using a fully mod'd Oppo 105 into XLR input if I'm just going to redigitize the signal to get DEQ?
post #12104 of 12120 Old Yesterday, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Rich, but is there any point using a fully mod'd Oppo 105 into XLR input if I'm just going to redigitize the signal to get DEQ?
Perhaps:

• If Pure Direct with LFE+MAIN does not do an A/D
  • If you prefer the sound of XLR even digitized over the HDMI LPCM. Many do not feel this sounds different, but I do on my system. If you have this gear, let your ears be the judge. It does not cost much to experiment.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

post #12105 of 12120 Old Yesterday, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter
exm
AVS Special Member

Liked: 55
Quote:
Sounds to me your dealer wants you to sell the more expensive AV8802. You can get a really good deal on the AV8801, and if you don't need Atmos I would seriously consider it. There are a handful of users reporting issues in this thread but the majority of owners are very happy.
post #12106 of 12120 Old Yesterday, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
AV8801 has lot of issues and Marantz is replacing a chip or something and pretty soon they will releasing version 2 of this model or maybe completely new model...
version 2? that's new to me..........
post #12107 of 12120 Old Yesterday, 03:55 PM

Westcoztd/exm....Thanks for response..i will go with av8001, now next question.. the cables...how much difference will i see between monoprice and bluejeans balanced cables for 3times price difference and this will be my first processor moving from receivers...
post #12108 of 12120 Old Yesterday, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
A couple weeks back I posted that my AV8801 had lost all audio processing except for passing analog inputs in direct/pure direct mode. It spent a couple weeks at a repair depot.

As it turns out, my "Digital Board" is bad, and Marantz does not have this part in stock to provide the repair shop... so they are replacing it with another AV8801, which shipped from Syracuse, NY (home of United Radio, their "factory" repair shop). I assume refurbished, but I don't have it in-hand just yet.

I don't know if this is indicative of a broader shortage of repair parts for AV8801, but I thought it was worth sharing. with any luck, future owners with warranty issues just might get upgraded to the AV7702?

Does anyone know if Audyssey will work with me to transfer my license to the new unit? I do have the old unit's configuration saved, but if/when I want to run another calibration I would like to not have to pay the $150 again.

Daniel
post #12109 of 12120 Old Yesterday, 05:02 PM
585-645-1006

^^
AFAIK, yes, they will.

"JD" –

post #12110 of 12120 Old Yesterday, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter
exm
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Westcoztd/exm....Thanks for response..i will go with av8001, now next question.. the cables...how much difference will i see between monoprice and bluejeans balanced cables for 3times price difference and this will be my first processor moving from receivers...
Oh boy... The eternal cable question.... Here's my take: for shorter runs there's most likely no difference. For longer runs (projectors for example) you want a better quality cable. Personally, when I have a $2/3k+ processor I don't mind spending a bit extra to make sure my cables are giving me the best quality. BJC certainly is not overpriced but a lot of people swear by Monoprice. To me it's like buying an expensive car: in your BMW your cabling system most certainly works. However, if you spend a few extra dollars and you get quality cables that will most certainly be better than cables made in China, is your BMW worth it?
post #12111 of 12120 Old Yesterday, 11:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,
I ran into a no sound issue when passing AAC audio tracks to the av8801 via hdmi (with a show)
my source is a popcornhour a-410 and was set to AAC passthrough
I've been told on the cloudmedia forum that the av8801 only decodes AAC from network player, can somebody over here confirm ? It's not really detailed in the doc (or I didn't find the right section)
It worked when selecting AAC decode multichannel but sound is quite bad, don't know if it's the source file though...
Thanks in advance!
post #12112 of 12120 Old Today, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
Oh boy... The eternal cable question.... Here's my take: for shorter runs there's most likely no difference. For longer runs (projectors for example) you want a better quality cable. Personally, when I have a $2/3k+ processor I don't mind spending a bit extra to make sure my cables are giving me the best quality. BJC certainly is not overpriced but a lot of people swear by Monoprice. To me it's like buying an expensive car: in your BMW your cabling system most certainly works. However, if you spend a few extra dollars and you get quality cables that will most certainly be better than cables made in China, is your BMW worth it?
Sure i know what you mean..now add to mf confusion...i went to bluejeans cables and found that they are selling two types of balanced cables... my question what type and why...please advise
Belden 1800F Balanced Audio Cable / Canare L-4E6S Star Quad Balanced Audio Cable
post #12113 of 12120 Old Today, 06:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Sure i know what you mean..now add to mf confusion...i went to bluejeans cables and found that they are selling two types of balanced cables... my question what type and why...please advise
Belden 1800F Balanced Audio Cable / Canare L-4E6S Star Quad Balanced Audio Cable
I'm using 13 of these 15ft XLR-XLR Mogami Quad 2534, they're perfect in our context.

Hugo

post #12114 of 12120 Old Today, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
i went to bluejeans cables and found that they are selling two types of balanced cables... my question what type and why...please advise
either brand/model are established solid brand cables (Belden and Canare). I would be content with either.
post #12115 of 12120 Old Today, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter
exm
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post
either brand/model are established solid brand cables (Belden and Canare). I would be content with either.
Agreed. I use the Belden 1800F.
post #12116 of 12120 Old Today, 01:23 PM

I know it is frustration to see same cables question again and again but I as i said moving from receiver to Pre/pro world and want to make sure that get the right stuff rather trying to save few $$$ and again realize and again spend more $$ and get different ones and start all over again.....
Thanks for patience and advise
post #12117 of 12120 Old Today, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Maybe tubes are simply not a possibility in this setup.

Thank you all for your help.
I have a 105D with the Modwright Truth mods. I have had it connected to a 7701 via XLR and to my Modwright LS-100 tube pre. Without a doubt pairing the 105D with the LS-100 provides the closest reproduction to vinyl that I could find in my price range. Connected to the 7701 it was a bit harsher. My speakers are Von Schweikert VR5MKII and they are bi-amped with Rogue Audio 150 tube amps running the tweeter and a B&K 200.7 running the bass module.

So being an old vinyl guy...why would you want to EQ 2 channel? And if you're adding tubes to the equation you must be seeking a softer image, so no EQ go direct and if you have the 2500.00 do the full truth mods you won't be sorry.
post #12118 of 12120 Old Today, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyxbfly View Post
Is there a list of people who are having issues with their 8801? LOL if there is sign me up. This will be the second time having my unit serviced. The first repair was due to the 12V trigger not powering on my amp.

Now my On Screen Display is not functioning properly again. Not once. Not twice. This would be the 3rd time that I will be doing a hard reset to correct the issue. (Different Inputs) The soft reset failed. I'm not going to to bother with a hard reset. I'm just going to bring it in for service.

If I correct the problem then how can they replicate it. It was a just a few days shy of two months to have my trigger issue resolved. Imagine if I waited for them to replicate my issue? SMH

This is only their flagship processor. I'm not expecting a massage and a happy ending nor for it to do anything that it shouldn't do. For the price of admission to the owners circle it should simply work.
You are not crazy. I just got a fresh refurbished AV8801 today and it is not showing OSD on the Blu-Ray input (1080P at 24hz or 60hz).

However, t is showing it on the Sat/Cbl input (1080p/60).

And when I hit InstaPrevue while on Blu-Ray, there's a quick hiccup in the audio/video before it renders.
post #12119 of 12120 Old Today, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielb6752 View Post
You are not crazy. I just got a fresh refurbished AV8801 today and it is not showing OSD on the Blu-Ray input (1080P at 24hz or 60hz).

However, it is showing it on the Sat/Cbl input (1080p/60).

And when I hit InstaPrevue while on Blu-Ray, there's a quick hiccup in the audio/video before it renders.
To verify I am not crazy, I performed a microprocessor reset to roll with stock settings. Something funky is definitely going on.

Can anyone else have a look at Settings -> Video -> Output Settings and verify that when Video Conversion is "Off" that the OSD does not work in Blu-ray, but when Video Conversion is "On" that it works properly?

When Video Conversion is "Off" the OSD works on my other inputs (Media Player for Apple TV, Sat/CBL for Comcast X1 DVR), analog inputs like phono, Network player, etc.

(other details: Oppo BDP-93, Samsung UN75HU8550)
post #12120 of 12120 Old Today, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I know it is frustration to see same cables question again and again but I as i said moving from receiver to Pre/pro world and want to make sure that get the right stuff rather trying to save few $$$ and again realize and again spend more $$ and get different ones and start all over again.....
Thanks for patience and advise
yeah, I actually use a mix of products, primarily AudioQuest and Monster (believe it or not) for most audio interconnects, and a long AudioQuest Forest HDMI (12M) for my projector.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Ken Kreisel Dxd 12012 Subwoofer , Marantz Av8801 , Receivers Amplifiers , Audyssey , Integra
Gear in this thread - Av8801 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page