Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread - Page 405 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #12121 of 12127 Old Yesterday, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After reading/Google searching several pages of this thread, I never did find a clear answer to this question: If Pure Direct mode is used, are the analog stereo inputs re-digitized AT ALL by the AV8801?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12122 of 12127 Old Yesterday, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 388
You didn't get an answer because those responding (including me) don't know. Someone would have to pour through a detailed schematic diagram, which would reveal that information. Unfortunately, they're very hard to come by.

Selden
post #12123 of 12127 Old Yesterday, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
You didn't get an answer because those responding (including me) don't know. Someone would have to pour through a detailed schematic diagram, which would reveal that information. Unfortunately, they're very hard to come by.
Thanks for the response. I thought as much as it had been discussed, perhaps someone had answered it and I just missed it.

I just had a chat with someone from Marantz technical support and asked the question, and they took a good 10+ minutes before saying that: no, nothing is digitized in Pure Direct mode. They said they "double checked," so I don't know if that means they asked someone, or if they just looked in the manual and mistook "no digital processing" for "no digitizing." I tried to make it clear I was asking about the latter (I think I said: "I know Pure Direct turns off digital processing, but does it bypass all digitizing in the AV8801?") and that's when it took them a while to come back with an answer, so maybe they actually did check.

Last edited by SolRage; Yesterday at 01:39 PM.
post #12124 of 12127 Old Yesterday, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 388
There have been word-of-mouth claims for both situations. As a result, I'd really like to see a frame-grab from the schematic.

The main audio does have to be digitized in order for the option "LFE+MAINS" to work (that option copies low frequencies to the subwoofer), but that says nothing whatsoever about whether or not there's a pure analog path that runs in parallel to the main preamp outputs.

Selden
post #12125 of 12127 Old Yesterday, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
There have been word-of-mouth claims for both situations. As a result, I'd really like to see a frame-grab from the schematic.

The main audio does have to be digitized in order for the option "LFE+MAINS" to work (that option copies low frequencies to the subwoofer), but that says nothing whatsoever about whether or not there's a pure analog path that runs in parallel to the main preamp outputs.
That is possible but there can be a delays associated with the A/D conversion and DSP processing so it seems unlikely.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #12126 of 12127 Old Yesterday, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Yeah, my curiosity hasn't really been satisfied by the tech chat. I'd still like to have a full, technical explanation from someone at Marantz or anyone with a schematic and know-how.

Question: since we know the 7.1 inputs aren't digitized, would it be possible to just to run a pair of RCAs to the FL/FR 7.1 inputs and switch between them and, say, the RCA stereo inputs and compare? Surely if the latter aren't digitized in Pure Direct they should sound/measure identically, right?
post #12127 of 12127 Old Yesterday, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRage View Post
Yeah, my curiosity hasn't really been satisfied by the tech chat. I'd still like to have a full, technical explanation from someone at Marantz or anyone with a schematic and know-how.

Question: since we know the 7.1 inputs aren't digitized, would it be possible to just to run a pair of RCAs to the FL/FR 7.1 inputs and switch between them and, say, the RCA stereo inputs and compare? Surely if the latter aren't digitized in Pure Direct they should sound/measure identically, right?
You can connect all inputs 7.1, XLR, COAX, and TosLink and use remote codes to switch between them.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Ken Kreisel Dxd 12012 Subwoofer , Marantz Av8801 , Receivers Amplifiers , Audyssey , Integra
Gear in this thread - Av8801 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page