post #12271 of 12292 Old 11-23-2014, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by etc6849 View Post
Maybe $1500 for used one, although I haven't seen one that cheap and wouldn't sell mine for that. I do think folks sell used gear cheaper than normal as it gets closer to Christmas.

I searched ebay and didn't see $1600+ new units from dealers. I'm not saying they're not there. I bought mine from ebay and saved $500 from what AVS wanted, so definitely submit a best offer on ebay and the seller just might bite.

I did mean used units when I mentioned Ebay prices

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Marantz 8801 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Denon 4520 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12272 of 12292 Old 12-06-2014, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked: 156
12V trigger issues

Got the 8801 set and all seems good...still tweaking settings and learning the B&W speakers as well

One issue

the 12V trigger doesn't seem to want to turn off my amp

I didn't notice this at first as my amp is not in clear sight
When I pull the 3.5mm cable from the 8801 the amp turns off
Looked through the 8801 menu to see if there were trigger settings
there seem to be none

any one have any ideas ?
This same amp has been used with a couple of pre-pros in the past with no issues..most recently the Onkyo 5508

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Marantz 8801 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Denon 4520 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
post #12273 of 12292 Old 12-07-2014, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello

I have been reading this thread for a bit,(about a quarter of the way through) and have been an owner of the 8801 for a couple of weeks.
I came from the 8003 and briefly auditioned the 7701 before settling on this model.
Apparently there is quite a difference in my set up between made in China and made in Japan.
I found the 7701 to be a very noisy piece in my system.

I upgraded to consolidate with a new control solution for all devices.
Because the OPPO and Marantz have IP addresses and internet apps available that is the direction I think I want to go, with a tablet?
Control solutions for Lutron, my power amp and cable box are available as well although I have read earlier in this thread that a tablet might not be the ideal choice.
I would appreciate any input as to what members are using for system control.
Member Thrang has the tablet set up and I would appreciate your comments. Does it do all you require?
Do you have to reach for specific remotes at times and is it easier to do so rather than scroll through the tablet menu system?
I envision a tablet with icons for each device select the icon, control the device via internet?
Surfing U Tube and being able to use a real keyboard instead of the OPPO remote would be a big upgrade.
A universal remote would possibly not be able to provide a keyboard for that function.

The AV-8003 had a decent learning remote. I had many devices controlled from it including lighting.
The zones were controlled via the learn function of the cable box remotes.
I would like a more all encompassing control solution at a reasonable cost this time around.

I would also like to use tablet to view and select zone information and sources throughout the home.
Marantz tech states that I will not be able to view composite video through the zone outputs.
The 8003 had composite video outputs to my zone displays to view and select network selections, apparently this is not possible with the 8801?
I have tried outputting analog video but so far have been unsuccessful.

I prefer Large fronts with audyssey pass through, all others small for most listening, dynamic EQ on, Dynamic volume low, Dialog enhancer low.

I will tackle the zone, control and network issues as they emerge. For now I am just enjoying the upgraded audio experience the 8801 offers over the 8003.

Marantz Av-8801, Aragon 8008, Emotiva XPA-5, Darbee vision X2, OPPO 103, JVC DLA-RS40, Da Lite Imager Cinema Vision, Furman Elite-15 PF i,
Klipsch RF-7, RC-64 ii, RS-35, KSW-12, SVS PB-13 Ultra and a Dell desktop as a connected network device.
audiofan1 likes this.

Last edited by kiwi2000; 12-07-2014 at 12:37 PM.
post #12274 of 12292 Old 12-08-2014, 03:53 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 2126 Post(s)
Liked: 1780
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post
Got the 8801 set and all seems good...still tweaking settings and learning the B&W speakers as well

One issue

the 12V trigger doesn't seem to want to turn off my amp

I didn't notice this at first as my amp is not in clear sight
When I pull the 3.5mm cable from the 8801 the amp turns off
Looked through the 8801 menu to see if there were trigger settings
there seem to be none

any one have any ideas ?
This same amp has been used with a couple of pre-pros in the past with no issues..most recently the Onkyo 5508

Warren
Trigger setup can be accessed via Setup - General - Trigger Out 1/2 (p. 147 Owner's manual)

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #12275 of 12292 Old 12-08-2014, 12:24 PM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi2000 View Post
Hello

I have been reading this thread for a bit,(about a quarter of the way through) and have been an owner of the 8801 for a couple of weeks.
I came from the 8003 and briefly auditioned the 7701 before settling on this model.
Apparently there is quite a difference in my set up between made in China and made in Japan.
I found the 7701 to be a very noisy piece in my system.

I upgraded to consolidate with a new control solution for all devices.
Because the OPPO and Marantz have IP addresses and internet apps available that is the direction I think I want to go, with a tablet?
Control solutions for Lutron, my power amp and cable box are available as well although I have read earlier in this thread that a tablet might not be the ideal choice.
I would appreciate any input as to what members are using for system control.
Member Thrang has the tablet set up and I would appreciate your comments. Does it do all you require?
Do you have to reach for specific remotes at times and is it easier to do so rather than scroll through the tablet menu system?
I envision a tablet with icons for each device select the icon, control the device via internet?
Surfing U Tube and being able to use a real keyboard instead of the OPPO remote would be a big upgrade.
A universal remote would possibly not be able to provide a keyboard for that function.

The AV-8003 had a decent learning remote. I had many devices controlled from it including lighting.
The zones were controlled via the learn function of the cable box remotes.
I would like a more all encompassing control solution at a reasonable cost this time around.

I would also like to use tablet to view and select zone information and sources throughout the home.
Marantz tech states that I will not be able to view composite video through the zone outputs.
The 8003 had composite video outputs to my zone displays to view and select network selections, apparently this is not possible with the 8801?
I have tried outputting analog video but so far have been unsuccessful.

I prefer Large fronts with audyssey pass through, all others small for most listening, dynamic EQ on, Dynamic volume low, Dialog enhancer low.

I will tackle the zone, control and network issues as they emerge. For now I am just enjoying the upgraded audio experience the 8801 offers over the 8003.

Marantz Av-8801, Aragon 8008, Emotiva XPA-5, Darbee vision X2, OPPO 103, JVC DLA-RS40, Da Lite Imager Cinema Vision, Furman Elite-15 PF i,
Klipsch RF-7, RC-64 ii, RS-35, KSW-12, SVS PB-13 Ultra and a Dell desktop as a connected network device.
Greetings,

I use iRule (check it out at this link: iRule at home with my iPad/iPhone and have been for four years now. It controls each component in my system and is completely configurable/flexible.

There is also an extensive thread here on AVS for iRule. You can visit it HERE

Regards,
Dave Vaughn likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #12276 of 12292 Old 12-09-2014, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Hi Ralph

Thank you for the reply but for now I am only considering the android option for control.
I have a but of an anti apple bias.
I wonder if your product would work with android control?

I will check it out though and see if that is what I actually want.
With your set up is it as quick to access and use as finding and using the corresponding remote would be for a component?

thrang wrote

I
Quote:
t is good, though not everything can be controlled via IP at this point. Mainly, the "press and hold" procedure to call up the sound modes does not seem to pass via ip (in Roomie, this is "repeat while touched" or something along those lines...)So I still need to have a mix of IP and IR commands to control all aspects.

There were a few minor features that worked via IP and not IR, and vice versa for other commands...So while I've got it patched together, I'm using a combination of 90% IP, 7% Roomie IR, and 3% custom learned IR, or roughly some blend of that.

Roomie is excellent, but they are a little off on the Marantz support, and they have many non-8801 modes and commands in the device set, remnants from either other past Marantz devices or Denon devices.
Is this ratio of IP control now improved even more?
What device(s) are you using?
post #12277 of 12292 Old 12-09-2014, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Cool My New Marantz AV8801

After much deliberating for awhile over the 8801 vs CXa-5000, i wanted to upgrade from my old trusty RX-z7 to the modern age LOL.. as a pre/amp to my parasound A52 and 2125 along with my Def Tech 7002's, CLR 2500, Trinity Sub, Infinity rear speakers, including rear center and my Oppo 105D and Panny Plasma (and my two Xboxes, cable box etc.. haha )... I was torn between the two.. I finally made a decision.. I have owned Yamaha all of my life.. I wanted to try something different, and I know they have both gotten excellent reviews... I knew that going to either unit would be a huge upgrade from my Z7 receiver that i was using as a pre/pro .. I have had it since 2010 and it has worked great.. I took the plunge (the wife said OK! LOL) and ordered from AVScience this morning from Mr. Garret and got the very last 8801 they had in stock for a wonderful price... I am so excited waiting for this unit.. I should get it on Tues or Wed of Next week....

When i get it , is it required that i automatically upgrade the firmware, or just bypass that and start using it and if everything seems fine don't bother with that? I ask , because as they say with these firmware updates, if it ain't broke don't fix it type of thing... I also figured it was time to upgrade my old interconnects, since i got a new higher end piece.....I am going to go from the old Monster Ref2 THX cables to the Audioquest Diamondbacks since i have had good luck with those on my Oppo 105D, but i will keep my Monster Z2 speaker wire, just trying to mix it up a bit.........the way i understand it as well , the Audessy xt32 is pretty powerful.. so i need to get a tripod to set up the mic as well , rather than my couch.... i have been reading alot through these threads.. it will finally be nice to use an actual pre/amp as opposed to a pre/pro from a receiver as i have always done.. if anyone has any suggestions or anything else to add.. that would be cool! I think i am going to be in for a nice treat.. my Parasounds are gonna be even happier soon!!!! Thanks for listening...... AVS family!!!.

Mike
audiofan1 likes this.

Last edited by mikejedi123; 12-09-2014 at 10:15 PM.
post #12278 of 12292 Old 12-09-2014, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 516
^^^^ Welcome to the club
mikejedi123 likes this.
post #12279 of 12292 Old 12-10-2014, 04:59 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejedi123 View Post
After much deliberating for awhile over the 8801 vs CXa-5000, i wanted to upgrade from my old trusty RX-z7 to the modern age LOL.. as a pre/amp to my parasound A52 and 2125 along with my Def Tech 7002's, CLR 2500, Trinity Sub, Infinity rear speakers, including rear center and my Oppo 105D and Panny Plasma (and my two Xboxes, cable box etc.. haha )... I was torn between the two.. I finally made a decision.. I have owned Yamaha all of my life.. I wanted to try something different, and I know they have both gotten excellent reviews... I knew that going to either unit would be a huge upgrade from my Z7 receiver that i was using as a pre/pro .. I have had it since 2010 and it has worked great.. I took the plunge (the wife said OK! LOL) and ordered from AVScience this morning from Mr. Garret and got the very last 8801 they had in stock for a wonderful price... I am so excited waiting for this unit.. I should get it on Tues or Wed of Next week....

When i get it , is it required that i automatically upgrade the firmware, or just bypass that and start using it and if everything seems fine don't bother with that? I ask , because as they say with these firmware updates, if it ain't broke don't fix it type of thing... I also figured it was time to upgrade my old interconnects, since i got a new higher end piece.....I am going to go from the old Monster Ref2 THX cables to the Audioquest Diamondbacks since i have had good luck with those on my Oppo 105D, but i will keep my Monster Z2 speaker wire, just trying to mix it up a bit.........the way i understand it as well , the Audessy xt32 is pretty powerful.. so i need to get a tripod to set up the mic as well , rather than my couch.... i have been reading alot through these threads.. it will finally be nice to use an actual pre/amp as opposed to a pre/pro from a receiver as i have always done.. if anyone has any suggestions or anything else to add.. that would be cool! I think i am going to be in for a nice treat.. my Parasounds are gonna be even happier soon!!!! Thanks for listening...... AVS family!!!.

Mike
Congratulations. You're going to love it.
post #12280 of 12292 Old 12-10-2014, 11:45 PM

It's coming.......LOL

Location Date Local Time Activity Hodgkins, IL, United States 12/10/2014 8:59 P.M. Departure Scan
12/10/2014 2:45 P.M. Arrival Scan Latham, NY, United States 12/09/2014 11:24 P.M. Departure Scan
12/09/2014 9:11 P.M. Origin Scan
12/09/2014 5:18 P.M. Pickup Scan United States 12/09/2014 5:13 P.M. Order Processed: Ready for UPS

I'm just a tad excited... !!
audiofan1 likes this.
post #12281 of 12292 Old 12-11-2014, 11:01 AM

Hi guys, quick question.. do any of you use the XLR input for CD/SACD on your 8801 if you have the Oppo 105? I currently have regular diamondback RCA's on there and was thinking of switching to the XLR's , only if it madfe a noticable difference.. i'm not really in a noisy environment at my condo.. so i'm not sure.. any advice on this one would be appreciated .. also does anyone know if i should update my firmware right away when i get the unit? or wait?

Thanks so much guys.. this is going to be a fun week /weekend setting all of this up!!!

Mike
post #12282 of 12292 Old 12-11-2014, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejedi123 View Post
Hi guys, quick question.. do any of you use the XLR input for CD/SACD on your 8801 if you have the Oppo 105? I currently have regular diamondback RCA's on there and was thinking of switching to the XLR's , only if it madfe a noticable difference.. i'm not really in a noisy environment at my condo.. so i'm not sure.. any advice on this one would be appreciated .. also does anyone know if i should update my firmware right away when i get the unit? or wait?

Thanks so much guys.. this is going to be a fun week /weekend setting all of this up!!!

Mike
Rca's should be fine for now but do try XLR's from the Oppo 105 down the road to hear for yourself, I had both connected using AQ Columbia's and mostly always prefered the XLR when A/B ing them ( level matched of course) It should be noted that the 7.1 inputs via Rca offers the purest direct input for analog as the XlR input can be digitized if wanted as they go through the HDAM's . As for the update yes I would do it after setup
post #12283 of 12292 Old 12-11-2014, 11:46 AM
Say No to Auto EQ

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 946 Post(s)
Liked: 1021
Just saw that the 7702 can receive an update for auro 3d. Really wish the 8801 could take it too.....anyone wanna buy my 8801 now?

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #12284 of 12292 Old 12-11-2014, 12:42 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Just saw that the 7702 can receive an update for auro 3d. Really wish the 8801 could take it too.....anyone wanna buy my 8801 now?
Correct. All current D&M Atmos models (X4100W, X5200W, SR7009, AV7702) and soon to be released flagship models (X7200W, AV8802) can be upgraded to Auro 3D.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #12285 of 12292 Old 12-13-2014, 06:42 PM

Should be here on tuesday.. i also got a tripod coming by Monday to help me out with setting up audessey... I am at present only running a 6.1 system... my two front def tech 7002's, clr 2500 and infinity entra rear .1 bookshelves and the matching entra center from the .1 set... and my Trinity sub.. Will audessey or the pre/pro allow me to use just the 6.1 output with all of the modes until i can get more speakers installed (which i plan to do when i get a larger place) ? From what i understand even though i don't have all 11 speakers hooked up , it will still make my 6.1 setup sound great and still allow me to use all of the sound mode's........Can't wait to hear my Oppo 105 through this thing.. i have a feeling i am going to notice a big improvement to begin with using the cd/sacd pure direct/DSD with the Marantz over my Yamaha Z7 pure direct/DSD...

post #12286 of 12292 Old 12-14-2014, 12:29 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Yes. Any audio will be up/down mixed to your 6.1 setup.

post #12287 of 12292 Old 12-14-2014, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

Uh Oh

I have been enjoying my 8801 and the wondrous sounds it makes for a couple of weeks.
Last week I performed my first audyssey calibration.
I carefully plugged in the mic and was surprised that the insertion of the mic caused the calibration function screen to be selected.
I also heard a loud click and I was off to calibrate, BUT.
When all was said and done and the display screen informed me to remove the mic a very audible buzz/hum remained.

I have played detective since;
amps connected only to speakers blissful silence.

Marantz connected to amps with no sources connected buzz/hum same with sources connected.

I notice that with the insertion of the mic the noise stops also selecting audyssey from the audio menu will stop it as well.
Too bad I cant use it when this function is selected.
So, a new AV-8801 is on its way.
I am concerned about calibrating the new unit however and am wondering if there was ever this issue posted previous?

Quote:
To

mikejedi123

where did you get your tripod?
post #12288 of 12292 Old Yesterday, 09:28 PM

Got the tripod @ Amazon.com ....
47-inch Light Weight Aluminum Pro Tripod with Bag for All Canon Sony, Nikon, Samsung, Panasonic, Olympus, Kodak, Fuji, Cameras And Camcorders - ²PNVIZ
post #12289 of 12292 Old Yesterday, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked: 918
You would be better served by getting a boom mic stand, similar to this one at Musicians Friend: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...0stand&index=7

The boom makes mic placement much easier than a tripod.
audiofan1 likes this.
post #12290 of 12292 Old Yesterday, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Yup! boom mic stand, amazon has the adaptor for the mic!
post #12291 of 12292 Old Today, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
You would be better served by getting a boom mic stand, similar to this one at Musicians Friend: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...0stand&index=7

The boom makes mic placement much easier than a tripod.

Agreed 100%. I originally bought a tripod and returned it for a boom stand. The boom stand makes it so much easier to position the microphone.

David Lynch Current Equipment: Marantz AV8801, Proceed HPA3, Parasound HCA-1206, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), Aerial Acoustics LR3's (sides), RBH in-walls (rears), Seaton Submersive, Marantz VP15s1, 106" Carada BW screen, Oppo BDP-103.
post #12292 of 12292 Old Today, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlynch View Post
Agreed 100%. I originally bought a tripod and returned it for a boom stand. The boom stand makes it so much easier to position the microphone.
yup! boom mic stand

HTPC/Gaming Rig:
Silverstone CW02B, I7 3930K, 16GB, ASUS Rampage IV Formula
EVGA Signature Titan> 70 inch ELITE PRO-70X5FD
Auzen HDMI XFi> 7.2 via Marantz AV8801>Wyred4Sound, & Emotiva Amps>Paradigm 100'sV5, ADP590'sV5, 690v5, 20v5's, + Dual HSU-ULS15 Subs

Controlling: Two CX7000ES's via MyMovies
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Ken Kreisel Dxd 12012 Subwoofer , Marantz Av8801 , Receivers Amplifiers , Audyssey , Integra
Gear in this thread - Av8801 by PriceGrabber.com