post #12331 of 12345 Old 12-21-2014, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 818 Post(s)
Liked: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post
Can't wait to find out if its indeed contributing anything or nothing but I suspect it has to do with bandwidth
All of the Atmos discs that I've watched use the standard 48K/s sampling rate. Soundtrack quality normally is the result of the quality of the people doing the audio mixing.
audiofan1 likes this.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12332 of 12345 Old 12-21-2014, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Max Volume Issue

HI,

I have had a Max volume issue for a while. It will not currently turn up past 91.5. I have the Marantz App on my iphone and have made sure the Max volume is set to off. I went in and moved it to a max, allowed it to set the level and then went back turn it to off to make sure that is reset. I have also gone into the Marantz menu and made sure it is turned to off. Any other ideas? Yes 91.5 is loud but there are some songs that would be nice to have the max available. Thanks for input and ideas.

Marantz AV 8801 Processor
Sunfire Signature Amp 400x7
Oppo DV971H DVD Player
PS3
PS4
Klipsch RF-7
Klispch RS-7
Klipsch RC-7
Sharp Aquos 80; 3D Quattron
Power Sound Audio Triax Subwoofer
post #12333 of 12345 Old 12-21-2014, 12:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2596 Post(s)
Liked: 2284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcuron View Post
HI,

I have had a Max volume issue for a while. It will not currently turn up past 91.5. I have the Marantz App on my iphone and have made sure the Max volume is set to off. I went in and moved it to a max, allowed it to set the level and then went back turn it to off to make sure that is reset. I have also gone into the Marantz menu and made sure it is turned to off. Any other ideas? Yes 91.5 is loud but there are some songs that would be nice to have the max available. Thanks for input and ideas.
What are your speaker and sub trims set to? If they are set quite high then the max volume is limited in order to preserve headroom. For example, if you have a total trim boost of 15dB then your max volume will be 15dB down. I am not familiar with the absolute volume scale, so not sure how much higher than 91.5 it should go, but if you set it to the relative volume scale it will tie in with the dBs as indicated in your trim settings.
post #12334 of 12345 Old 12-21-2014, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Front L -5, Front R -5.5, Center -3.5, Sub shows -6 in Audyssey but I fluctuate the sub all the time depending on what I am listening to.

Marantz AV 8801 Processor
Sunfire Signature Amp 400x7
Oppo DV971H DVD Player
PS3
PS4
Klipsch RF-7
Klispch RS-7
Klipsch RC-7
Sharp Aquos 80; 3D Quattron
Power Sound Audio Triax Subwoofer
post #12335 of 12345 Old 12-21-2014, 02:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2596 Post(s)
Liked: 2284
Quote:
Front L -5, Front R -5.5, Center -3.5, Sub shows -6 in Audyssey but I fluctuate the sub all the time depending on what I am listening to.
Then it isn't that which is causing the problem. I am out of ideas now though, sorry. At least, one possible cause has been eliminated.
post #12336 of 12345 Old 12-21-2014, 10:38 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Ok fellow AVS friends, i have been messing with this beast for the past few days.. on my adventure I encountered a small ground loop hum... flipped my ground switch on my A52 amp and 2125 amp, back and forth and let the Parasound's warm up a bit .. voilia... Gone! Haven't heard it since.. maybe i got lucky , i don't know .. but i seem to get it when i first hook up the amp's to a new pre/pro.. it did the same thing to me when i used the Yam Z7 at first and then went away...!! YAY! #2 cable/sat went haywire on the audio.. reset the microprocessor once.. and then my cable box.. all gone..... #3 I wasn't getting alot of bass.. turns out i didn't set audessey right the first time and had accidentally skipped the subwoofer calibration test, DOH! LOL... fixed all of that business.. and i am starting to dial this thing in and OMG ... it is sounds amazingly different than my old piece, and in a good way , of course.. rich, yet clear.. there is more "there", there.. if you get my drift.. movies sound more real.. i am listening to a dexter gordon blue note Ron Mcmaster cd on my Oppo 105 as I type this..i feel like i am there with him.. it sounds more like an LP.. this is a true pre-amp IMO.... man ... and i have barely scratched the surface of this thing.. Thor sounded unlike i have heard it in my room... more to come guys.. i may have some more to ask you guys possibly.. thanks to Audiofan1 and the rest of you guys for guiding me on this fun journey..
audiofan1 likes this.
post #12337 of 12345 Old 12-21-2014, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejedi123 View Post
Ok fellow AVS friends, i have been messing with this beast for the past few days.. on my adventure I encountered a small ground loop hum... flipped my ground switch on my A52 amp and 2125 amp, back and forth and let the Parasound's warm up a bit .. voilia... Gone! Haven't heard it since.. maybe i got lucky , i don't know .. but i seem to get it when i first hook up the amp's to a new pre/pro.. it did the same thing to me when i used the Yam Z7 at first and then went away...!! YAY! #2 cable/sat went haywire on the audio.. reset the microprocessor once.. and then my cable box.. all gone..... #3 I wasn't getting alot of bass.. turns out i didn't set audessey right the first time and had accidentally skipped the subwoofer calibration test, DOH! LOL... fixed all of that business.. and i am starting to dial this thing in and OMG ... it is sounds amazingly different than my old piece, and in a good way , of course.. rich, yet clear.. there is more "there", there.. if you get my drift.. movies sound more real.. i am listening to a dexter gordon blue note Ron Mcmaster cd on my Oppo 105 as I type this..i feel like i am there with him.. it sounds more like an LP.. this is a true pre-amp IMO.... man ... and i have barely scratched the surface of this thing.. Thor sounded unlike i have heard it in my room... more to come guys.. i may have some more to ask you guys possibly.. thanks to Audiofan1 and the rest of you guys for guiding me on this fun journey..

Big congrats! Dexter Gordon is a great musician indeed! kudos on that one. It's indeed true the 8801 as a preamp is its hidden gem feature as it allows the something like the 105 to really shine without hindrance and I was as shocked as you on the Oppos analog like SQ. Great tip on the flipping the ground switch on the Parasound's my A21 does give some faint hum but I've always wondered why some flips of the ground lift where better than others, I'll have to give it a go

Enjoy the movies and music
mikejedi123 likes this.
post #12338 of 12345 Old Today, 01:52 AM

I am further along on my journey tonight.. I hooked up a digital coaxial cable to my old Arcam CD73 to see if it sounds better than the analog outputs , which are pretty darn good to begin with, and guess what? You are 100% correct, audiofan1! The DAC's inside the 8801 are awesome as well.. they sound different than the 105, but in a toe-tapping rythmic way! Way cool.. i am listening to one of my favorite Rippingtons jazz cd's on the Arcam right now via the coax cable!!! Sounds live!
audiofan1 likes this.
post #12339 of 12345 Old Today, 05:13 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
I am further along on my journey tonight.. I hooked up a digital coaxial cable to my old Arcam CD73 to see if it sounds better than the analog outputs , which are pretty darn good to begin with, and guess what? You are 100% correct, audiofan1! The DAC's inside the 8801 are awesome as well.. they sound different than the 105, but in a toe-tapping rythmic way! Way cool.. i am listening to one of my favorite Rippingtons jazz cd's on the Arcam right now via the coax cable!!! Sounds live!
Welcome to the club. Good to hear you are enjoying it. I don't if anyone has mentioned the cooling issue to you. Most of us are using external fans on our 8801's as the rear gets very hot.
post #12340 of 12345 Old Today, 11:21 AM

Luckily mine hasn't gotten too hot.. it is on an open rack.. although i will look into a cooling option just in case it starts to get real hot if i play it for real long periods... i will keep an eye out.. thanks!! Yeah, it does sound good.. i am enjoying trying out all of my movies and music!!
post #12341 of 12345 Old Today, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Quote:
Nice indeed to have so many awesome playback options
post #12342 of 12345 Old Today, 02:01 PM
Say No to Auto EQ

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 968 Post(s)
Liked: 1040
Quote:
HI,

See if you only have the issue when streaming (using the network source or airplay in general) content to the unit, as opposed to other sources like a blue ray player. NOTE: if switching to another source, you HAVE to pause whatever you were previously using the network streaming option for. This is an issue I ran into as well and never found out the source of the issue. Unfortunately, I wasn't even able to find out which component it originated from. I too was on an iphone, so I bought a new android, still the volume stuck. I thought it was the app so I deleted the app, and went with deremote. Nope, not that either.

Here was the rough part: I could switch from my phone to my wife's or friend's iphone when they wanted to stream music to the 8801 and viola, they could get the volume to crank the rest of the way just fine. It was only when I switched back to my control and streaming that the issue would immediately pop back up. Obviously even on a brand new phone, on an entirely different OS never fixed what what happening. I got so frustrated by the end of all of that and running around in circles for so long that I just went and bought two sonos units and haven't looked back since. I would still try:

Microprocessor reset on the 8801 (Might have to do 3 in a row to fully reset the unit)
deletion and reinstallation of the marantz app
checking other sources to see if volume sticks on those whilst not streaming period to the 8801 even when not selected as source.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #12343 of 12345 Old Today, 09:20 PM

Listening to James Taylor/Carole King Live at The Troubador 2007 CD, wow!! on CD Direct setting with my Oppo 105D.. wowza!!! Awesome, i think JT and CK are in my condo , along with their band!!!
post #12344 of 12345 Old Today, 10:14 PM
Say No to Auto EQ

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 968 Post(s)
Liked: 1040
Quote:
Listening to James Taylor/Carole King Live at The Troubador 2007 CD, wow!! on CD Direct setting with my Oppo 105D.. wowza!!! Awesome, i think JT and CK are in my condo , along with their band!!!
Sorry if I missed, what speakers are you using along with the 8801?

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #12345 of 12345 Old Today, 11:23 PM

Cool speakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Sorry if I missed, what speakers are you using along with the 8801?

Hi there, I have the Definitive Technology BP7002's (mains), Def Tech CLR 2500 (center), Infinity Entra .1 rears... and Infinity Entra Center rear center along with my Def Tech Trinity Subwoofer...... They sound great.. i love the Def Tech BiPolar sound.. i believe these sound superior to the newer Def Tech line IMO..... on movies and music.... and with my Parasound A52, 2125 and now adding the 8801 , the system shines even more!!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Ken Kreisel Dxd 12012 Subwoofer , Marantz Av8801 , Receivers Amplifiers , Audyssey , Integra
Gear in this thread - Av8801 by PriceGrabber.com