Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread - Page 417 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #12481 of 12507 Old 01-20-2015, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1011 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballpark View Post
I would be interested to hear if anyone has used a Speaker Switch/Selector with the AV8801. I would hate to spend the money if it's not the best route to take.
Sorry, I can't help directly with the choice of speaker switches since I've never used any.

However, bear in mind that you should use two different Audyssey calibrations: it'll be different for different speakers.

D+M equipment, including the AV8801, can save and restore their internal settings if you use the Web interface, so you could save the settings after calibrating each speaker set, then restore the appropriate one when changing between speakers. Unfortunately, however, that takes about 10 minutes or so, which might be longer than you're willing to wait.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12482 of 12507 Old 01-20-2015, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 26
My wife has an iPhone and the airplay off youtube works beautifully. I have an android and have no idea how to make that work. Any suggestions?

post #12483 of 12507 Old 01-20-2015, 08:39 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked: 1914
^^
There are a number of Android apps to include DoubleTwist - MagicPlay which I've used with a Samsung GS3 to Airplay audio to the AVR.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....android&hl=en

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Call me --> 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor and dealer for AVRs and Speakers 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Call for info on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #12484 of 12507 Old 01-21-2015, 06:09 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVLDARI View Post
My wife has an iPhone and the airplay off youtube works beautifully. I have an android and have no idea how to make that work. Any suggestions?
Hi. If you are rooted "Allstream" works really well and is simple. On my GS4, I can stream any music app (G Music, Pandora, Amazon, etc) using either Airplay or DLNA. Quality is better than bluetooth as well. There are some other apps that do video as well, but I have not tried those because I use my BR player for that. Regards.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Xbox Live ID- STRONGBOWSIX
post #12485 of 12507 Old 01-21-2015, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper72 View Post
Hi. If you are rooted "Allstream" works really well and is simple. On my GS4, I can stream any music app (G Music, Pandora, Amazon, etc) using either Airplay or DLNA. Quality is better than bluetooth as well. There are some other apps that do video as well, but I have not tried those because I use my BR player for that. Regards.

The only reason I am interested in this is so that I can play youtube music for the kids every once in a while. at the moment I have to go get an iPhone to do that LOL... So quality of sound is really of no concern - I only care about functionality. The iPhone/Airplay is so simple I am shocked Android doesn't have something similar. Any other suggestions that do not require rooting the phone?

Thanks!

post #12486 of 12507 Old 01-21-2015, 09:05 AM
Say No to Auto EQ

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked: 1048
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVLDARI View Post
The only reason I am interested in this is so that I can play youtube music for the kids every once in a while. at the moment I have to go get an iPhone to do that LOL... So quality of sound is really of no concern - I only care about functionality. The iPhone/Airplay is so simple I am shocked Android doesn't have something similar. Any other suggestions that do not require rooting the phone?

Thanks!
Google chromecast bro. Piece of cake

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #12487 of 12507 Old 01-21-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Google chromecast bro. Piece of cake
Yep. Can't go wrong for 35 bucks or less on sale.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Xbox Live ID- STRONGBOWSIX
post #12488 of 12507 Old 01-24-2015, 10:54 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Question for anyone who can help. I was finishing Schindler's List tonight and the audio went completely silent. It occured when the survivors were walking over the hill and it changed from black and white to color. I watched in silence to the end credits. Paused the movie and it didn't help. I FF a few seconds and the audio came back on. I then rewatched the scene and it did not repeat. Is this just a random dropout on a defective disc or is it something with the Oppo or Marantz? I have never had this happen before. Thanks for your help.

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
Marantz AV8801 pre-pro / MM8077 amp
Martin Logan Motion 50XT Center
Martin Logan Motion 60XT Fronts/40 Rears
REL R-528 SE (2)
Oppo BDP-103D/Playstation 4/Furman ELITE-20 PF i
post #12489 of 12507 Old 01-24-2015, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1645 Post(s)
Liked: 1028
I have never had that happen on a disk, but have had similar experiences when watching my DTV DVR's. I think it is probably random, and unless it happens often, you should not be concerned.
post #12490 of 12507 Old 01-27-2015, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Temporary Amp ideas?

Hi all, I have the following system currently:

7.1 Paradigm Ref Studio 100 mains and center, matched side and rear surrounds

Harmon Kardon Citation 16 amp running the mains

Denon 3805 AVR running the center and surrounds

Denon 3930 Universal player

Panasonic BDP, STB, etc.

I would like to upgrade to the AV8801, but don't have the coin right now to add the matching MM8077 amp - even with with 8801 selling for under $2K. If I bought the 8801 with the intent of buying the 8077 next year, is there a way I could add it to my current system now? Use the HK and Denon AVR to power the speakers, but use the 8801 to handle all the processing etc? If so, how?
post #12491 of 12507 Old 01-27-2015, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1011 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by PauldF View Post
Hi all, I have the following system currently:

7.1 Paradigm Ref Studio 100 mains and center, matched side and rear surrounds

Harmon Kardon Citation 16 amp running the mains

Denon 3805 AVR running the center and surrounds

Denon 3930 Universal player

Panasonic BDP, STB, etc.

I would like to upgrade to the AV8801, but don't have the coin right now to add the matching MM8077 amp - even with with 8801 selling for under $2K. If I bought the 8801 with the intent of buying the 8077 next year, is there a way I could add it to my current system now? Use the HK and Denon AVR to power the speakers, but use the 8801 to handle all the processing etc? If so, how?
There's no reason to buy a Marantz amplifier other than to have the same logo on all of your equipment. Just about any other amp will work with Marantz equipment just as well. (Although some older high gain amps from Emotiva have difficulties when used with high efficiency speakers.)

In the short term, you could use your Denon AVR to act as a stereo amp. You'd have to do without the center speaker (i.e. use a "phantom center") until you can afford a multi-channel amp. Emotiva's current amp lineup is reasonably priced and have a good reputation.
Dave Vaughn likes this.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
post #12492 of 12507 Old Yesterday, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Gonna test the 8801 with the new NAD M22 (with hypex modules) this week to see how the combo performs with high efficiency speakers.

For very high efficiency speakers, the 8801 NEEDS XLR attenuation pads (around -10db per channel), otherwise you cant level match your mains correctly and the ambient hiss from the marantz will be unbearable.

I hope hypex solves at least the amplifier part of the hiss. Perhaps the new marantz 8802 will solve their noise levels by an order of -10db.
post #12493 of 12507 Old Yesterday, 08:08 AM
Say No to Auto EQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post
Gonna test the 8801 with the new NAD M22 (with hypex modules) this week to see how the combo performs with high efficiency speakers.

For very high efficiency speakers, the 8801 NEEDS XLR attenuation pads (around -10db per channel), otherwise you cant level match your mains correctly and the ambient hiss from the marantz will be unbearable.

I hope hypex solves at least the amplifier part of the hiss. Perhaps the new marantz 8802 will solve their noise levels by an order of -10db.
Not likely. But that is what the attenuators do anyways

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #12494 of 12507 Old Yesterday, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 403
We happen to have one brand new 8801 left, at a great price. Call if interested !!

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #12495 of 12507 Old Yesterday, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 23
An update on the Schindlers List audio drop out: I let the movie run from the beginning and around the same time as previously mentioned the audio dropped out again. It was in a different spot about 30 seconds pats the previous drop out. The audio comes back on after a rewind but not after a pause. It does not Drop Out if I start a chapter over it appears like the whole movie has to be played. The disc is clean and I don't know why it keeps doing this. Any thoughts? Bad disc?

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
Marantz AV8801 pre-pro / MM8077 amp
Martin Logan Motion 50XT Center
Martin Logan Motion 60XT Fronts/40 Rears
REL R-528 SE (2)
Oppo BDP-103D/Playstation 4/Furman ELITE-20 PF i
post #12496 of 12507 Old Yesterday, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
I am a reviewer and currently have the Marantz 7702 in my HT setup for review. The sound is excellent. However, I contacted a VP at Marantz with his recommendation regarding my purchasing either the 7702 or the 8801 based on sound quality alone. He told me that if I didn't need/want Dolby Atmos, to get the 8801. I ordered the 8801, but have not received it yet, so can't compare the two, but presumably the Marantz exec has heard them both. Hope this helps!
post #12497 of 12507 Old Today, 03:12 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked: 1914
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMichael View Post
An update on the Schindlers List audio drop out: I let the movie run from the beginning and around the same time as previously mentioned the audio dropped out again. It was in a different spot about 30 seconds pats the previous drop out. The audio comes back on after a rewind but not after a pause. It does not Drop Out if I start a chapter over it appears like the whole movie has to be played. The disc is clean and I don't know why it keeps doing this. Any thoughts? Bad disc?
More than likely disc related, especially if this is the first disc to present this issue.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Call me --> 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor and dealer for AVRs and Speakers 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Call for info on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #12498 of 12507 Old Today, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hi Everyone:
I tried to search for this problem but can't seem to find a solution. Last night, when listened to music I started to notice that the Front Left Channel volume was lower than the right. Took out my trusty Radioshack sound meter and it confirmed that the left channel was indeed ~6 db lower than the right! I didn't do anything to the AV8801 since installed about 3 months ago. Anyway, I reset the AV, changed out the cables, switched to a different amplifier, rerun Audyssey but nothing work. The Left channel is still around 6 db lower than the right, etc after Audyssey the front left is +0.5 gain and the front right is at -6.5. They were about +/- 0.5 db gain the first time I set up. The sound quality, after balance out the channel, seems to be fine. I didn't notice anything bad in the sound. However, this is really bugging me as something is not right. Did any one have this problem before? Should I contact Marantz for service?
Thank you,
Bao Tran
post #12499 of 12507 Old Today, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by btran33 View Post
Hi Everyone:
I tried to search for this problem but can't seem to find a solution. Last night, when listened to music I started to notice that the Front Left Channel volume was lower than the right. Took out my trusty Radioshack sound meter and it confirmed that the left channel was indeed ~6 db lower than the right! I didn't do anything to the AV8801 since installed about 3 months ago. Anyway, I reset the AV, changed out the cables, switched to a different amplifier, rerun Audyssey but nothing work. The Left channel is still around 6 db lower than the right, etc after Audyssey the front left is +0.5 gain and the front right is at -6.5. They were about +/- 0.5 db gain the first time I set up. The sound quality, after balance out the channel, seems to be fine. I didn't notice anything bad in the sound. However, this is really bugging me as something is not right. Did any one have this problem before? Should I contact Marantz for service?
Thank you,
Bao Tran
Restart the unit as many times necessary ( using the remote) till the correct level comes back and if it does your good to go , but I would still contact Marantz
post #12500 of 12507 Old Today, 09:25 AM

can you explain a little more? Just using the remote to turn on and off the AV? I had factory reset the machine and still that did not work...
post #12501 of 12507 Old Today, 09:43 AM
Say No to Auto EQ

It may take several microprocessor resets in a row. Try doing it 5 times or so sequentially.
audiofan1 likes this.

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #12502 of 12507 Old Today, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Quote:
can you explain a little more? Just using the remote to turn on and off the AV? I had factory reset the machine and still that did not work...
Yep! just using the remote on/off on/off till the channel behaves normal. If you have a source say like the cable box or bluray/music, leave the source playing till you hear the correct level.
post #12503 of 12507 Old Today, 09:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeemer View Post
I am a reviewer and currently have the Marantz 7702 in my HT setup for review. The sound is excellent. However, I contacted a VP at Marantz with his recommendation regarding my purchasing either the 7702 or the 8801 based on sound quality alone. He told me that if I didn't need/want Dolby Atmos, to get the 8801. I ordered the 8801, but have not received it yet, so can't compare the two, but presumably the Marantz exec has heard them both. Hope this helps!
I'm not that surprised.

Once you get the 8801, maybe you can give us your candid opinion.
audiofan1 likes this.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, VideoForge HDMI II, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #12504 of 12507 Old Today, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 599
Quote:
Hi Everyone:
Thank you,
Bao Tran
I had a similar issue and discovered that one of my speaker's mid range drivers was blown

please take the high road in every post
if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
post #12505 of 12507 Old Today, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
I had a similar issue and discovered that one of my speaker's mid range drivers was blown
Thanks for your reply. However, I have switch another pair of speakers with the same result. I'll try the remote turn on/off method when I get home today.
post #12506 of 12507 Old Today, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
It may take several microprocessor resets in a row. Try doing it 5 times or so sequentially.
Thanks! I'll try it when I get home and post back.
post #12507 of 12507 Old Today, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
I'm not that surprised.

Once you get the 8801, maybe you can give us your candid opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeemer View Post
I just set up my 7702 and came from a recently purchased 8801. I am not a reviewer and have had precious little time with the unit but the 7702 on VERY prelim listening after I hooked it up sounded more immersive to my ears than the 8801. I put on Die Hard that was on HBO and used the dolby upmixer and it sounded great. I think part of the sonic improvements is due to DSU being superior to pllz. I have a 9.1 set up with heights. I will do more listening over the next week and then I will give a better review of the two. I have been crushed at work and have had no time to play.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Ken Kreisel Dxd 12012 Subwoofer , Marantz Av8801 , Receivers Amplifiers , Audyssey , Integra
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page