Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread - Page 417 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #12481 of 12496 Old 01-20-2015, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 8,120
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1009 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballpark View Post
I would be interested to hear if anyone has used a Speaker Switch/Selector with the AV8801. I would hate to spend the money if it's not the best route to take.
Sorry, I can't help directly with the choice of speaker switches since I've never used any.

However, bear in mind that you should use two different Audyssey calibrations: it'll be different for different speakers.

D+M equipment, including the AV8801, can save and restore their internal settings if you use the Web interface, so you could save the settings after calibrating each speaker set, then restore the appropriate one when changing between speakers. Unfortunately, however, that takes about 10 minutes or so, which might be longer than you're willing to wait.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
Selden Ball is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12482 of 12496 Old 01-20-2015, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member
 
BVLDARI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 501
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 26
My wife has an iPhone and the airplay off youtube works beautifully. I have an android and have no idea how to make that work. Any suggestions?

BVLDARI is offline  
post #12483 of 12496 Old 01-20-2015, 08:39 AM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 48,196
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2694 Post(s)
Liked: 1910
^^
There are a number of Android apps to include DoubleTwist - MagicPlay which I've used with a Samsung GS3 to Airplay audio to the AVR.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....android&hl=en

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Call me --> 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor and dealer for AVRs and Speakers 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Call for info on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #12484 of 12496 Old 01-21-2015, 06:09 AM
Member
 
viper72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVLDARI View Post
My wife has an iPhone and the airplay off youtube works beautifully. I have an android and have no idea how to make that work. Any suggestions?
Hi. If you are rooted "Allstream" works really well and is simple. On my GS4, I can stream any music app (G Music, Pandora, Amazon, etc) using either Airplay or DLNA. Quality is better than bluetooth as well. There are some other apps that do video as well, but I have not tried those because I use my BR player for that. Regards.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Xbox Live ID- STRONGBOWSIX
viper72 is offline  
post #12485 of 12496 Old 01-21-2015, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member
 
BVLDARI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 501
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper72 View Post
Hi. If you are rooted "Allstream" works really well and is simple. On my GS4, I can stream any music app (G Music, Pandora, Amazon, etc) using either Airplay or DLNA. Quality is better than bluetooth as well. There are some other apps that do video as well, but I have not tried those because I use my BR player for that. Regards.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
The only reason I am interested in this is so that I can play youtube music for the kids every once in a while. at the moment I have to go get an iPhone to do that LOL... So quality of sound is really of no concern - I only care about functionality. The iPhone/Airplay is so simple I am shocked Android doesn't have something similar. Any other suggestions that do not require rooting the phone?

Thanks!

BVLDARI is offline  
post #12486 of 12496 Old 01-21-2015, 09:05 AM
Say No to Auto EQ
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 8,424
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Liked: 1046
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVLDARI View Post
The only reason I am interested in this is so that I can play youtube music for the kids every once in a while. at the moment I have to go get an iPhone to do that LOL... So quality of sound is really of no concern - I only care about functionality. The iPhone/Airplay is so simple I am shocked Android doesn't have something similar. Any other suggestions that do not require rooting the phone?

Thanks!
Google chromecast bro. Piece of cake

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

 

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

 

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

beastaudio is offline  
post #12487 of 12496 Old 01-21-2015, 09:31 AM
Member
 
viper72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Google chromecast bro. Piece of cake
Yep. Can't go wrong for 35 bucks or less on sale.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Xbox Live ID- STRONGBOWSIX
viper72 is offline  
post #12488 of 12496 Old 01-24-2015, 10:54 PM
Member
 
DrMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Question for anyone who can help. I was finishing Schindler's List tonight and the audio went completely silent. It occured when the survivors were walking over the hill and it changed from black and white to color. I watched in silence to the end credits. Paused the movie and it didn't help. I FF a few seconds and the audio came back on. I then rewatched the scene and it did not repeat. Is this just a random dropout on a defective disc or is it something with the Oppo or Marantz? I have never had this happen before. Thanks for your help.

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
Marantz AV8801 pre-pro / MM8077 amp
Martin Logan Motion 50XT Center
Martin Logan Motion 60XT Fronts/40 Rears
REL R-528 SE (2)
Oppo BDP-103D/Playstation 4/Furman ELITE-20 PF i
DrMichael is online now  
post #12489 of 12496 Old 01-24-2015, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 8,573
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1643 Post(s)
Liked: 1026
I have never had that happen on a disk, but have had similar experiences when watching my DTV DVR's. I think it is probably random, and unless it happens often, you should not be concerned.
AustinJerry is online now  
post #12490 of 12496 Old Yesterday, 01:49 PM
Member
 
PauldF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Southern California
Posts: 144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Temporary Amp ideas?

Hi all, I have the following system currently:

7.1 Paradigm Ref Studio 100 mains and center, matched side and rear surrounds

Harmon Kardon Citation 16 amp running the mains

Denon 3805 AVR running the center and surrounds

Denon 3930 Universal player

Panasonic BDP, STB, etc.

I would like to upgrade to the AV8801, but don't have the coin right now to add the matching MM8077 amp - even with with 8801 selling for under $2K. If I bought the 8801 with the intent of buying the 8077 next year, is there a way I could add it to my current system now? Use the HK and Denon AVR to power the speakers, but use the 8801 to handle all the processing etc? If so, how?
PauldF is offline  
post #12491 of 12496 Old Yesterday, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 8,120
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1009 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by PauldF View Post
Hi all, I have the following system currently:

7.1 Paradigm Ref Studio 100 mains and center, matched side and rear surrounds

Harmon Kardon Citation 16 amp running the mains

Denon 3805 AVR running the center and surrounds

Denon 3930 Universal player

Panasonic BDP, STB, etc.

I would like to upgrade to the AV8801, but don't have the coin right now to add the matching MM8077 amp - even with with 8801 selling for under $2K. If I bought the 8801 with the intent of buying the 8077 next year, is there a way I could add it to my current system now? Use the HK and Denon AVR to power the speakers, but use the 8801 to handle all the processing etc? If so, how?
There's no reason to buy a Marantz amplifier other than to have the same logo on all of your equipment. Just about any other amp will work with Marantz equipment just as well. (Although some older high gain amps from Emotiva have difficulties when used with high efficiency speakers.)

In the short term, you could use your Denon AVR to act as a stereo amp. You'd have to do without the center speaker (i.e. use a "phantom center") until you can afford a multi-channel amp. Emotiva's current amp lineup is reasonably priced and have a good reputation.
Dave Vaughn likes this.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
Selden Ball is offline  
post #12492 of 12496 Old Today, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
blazar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 2,545
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Gonna test the 8801 with the new NAD M22 (with hypex modules) this week to see how the combo performs with high efficiency speakers.

For very high efficiency speakers, the 8801 NEEDS XLR attenuation pads (around -10db per channel), otherwise you cant level match your mains correctly and the ambient hiss from the marantz will be unbearable.

I hope hypex solves at least the amplifier part of the hiss. Perhaps the new marantz 8802 will solve their noise levels by an order of -10db.
blazar is online now  
post #12493 of 12496 Old Today, 08:08 AM
Say No to Auto EQ
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 8,424
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Liked: 1046
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post
Gonna test the 8801 with the new NAD M22 (with hypex modules) this week to see how the combo performs with high efficiency speakers.

For very high efficiency speakers, the 8801 NEEDS XLR attenuation pads (around -10db per channel), otherwise you cant level match your mains correctly and the ambient hiss from the marantz will be unbearable.

I hope hypex solves at least the amplifier part of the hiss. Perhaps the new marantz 8802 will solve their noise levels by an order of -10db.
Not likely. But that is what the attenuators do anyways

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

 

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

 

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

beastaudio is offline  
post #12494 of 12496 Old Today, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Posts: 5,836
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 403
We happen to have one brand new 8801 left, at a great price. Call if interested !!

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
Craig Peer is online now  
post #12495 of 12496 Old Today, 04:07 PM
Member
 
DrMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 23
An update on the Schindlers List audio drop out: I let the movie run from the beginning and around the same time as previously mentioned the audio dropped out again. It was in a different spot about 30 seconds pats the previous drop out. The audio comes back on after a rewind but not after a pause. It does not Drop Out if I start a chapter over it appears like the whole movie has to be played. The disc is clean and I don't know why it keeps doing this. Any thoughts? Bad disc?

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
Marantz AV8801 pre-pro / MM8077 amp
Martin Logan Motion 50XT Center
Martin Logan Motion 60XT Fronts/40 Rears
REL R-528 SE (2)
Oppo BDP-103D/Playstation 4/Furman ELITE-20 PF i
DrMichael is online now  
post #12496 of 12496 Old Today, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
Redbeemer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I am a reviewer and currently have the Marantz 7702 in my HT setup for review. The sound is excellent. However, I contacted a VP at Marantz with his recommendation regarding my purchasing either the 7702 or the 8801 based on sound quality alone. He told me that if I didn't need/want Dolby Atmos, to get the 8801. I ordered the 8801, but have not received it yet, so can't compare the two, but presumably the Marantz exec has heard them both. Hope this helps!
Redbeemer is online now  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Ken Kreisel Dxd 12012 Subwoofer , Marantz Av8801 , Receivers Amplifiers , Audyssey , Integra
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off