Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread - Page 421 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #12601 of 12616 Old 02-27-2015, 07:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by leo2498 View Post
one question about XT32, it set my speaker like large(even 805D) and I have plenty of tight bass with this setup but I wondering if I change this to small I will lose the filters of the XT32 did. What do you think? I did changed it to small but the bass was more boomy.
The resolution is the same in sub and satellite filters, so any degradation to performance with an XO could be from 1) Not a good Audyssey run on the sub. Was the sub loud enough? Did you use all 8 positions? 2) The mains are in a more bass-friendly place than the sub. Audyssey can only do so much.

If I XO at 80hz I observe a degradation in performance, but this is because my room has a resonance at 80hz with the sub in it's current location. If I XO at 40hz, it sounds much better. Try a lower XO?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12602 of 12616 Old 02-27-2015, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post

Way too many devices are selling due to cosmetics as opposed to brute force measurements and capability. And this is fact.
this is not correct at all, all audio stuff are designed with a target customers in mind and if you sonically you are testing the dac's in both equipments the classe "to my ears" is more accurate because of this I bought it. many user will buy stuff that not needing for example I not need more then 5,1 channels processor so DTS X or dolby atmos never will be in my list, I was looking for better performance in concerts and movies and I found it with the AV8801 and a 50% of the retail price is a bargain.

if you are looking to exceed audio performance and "musicality" I don't think that you will get it with the 8802 but with a SSP-800 or high end processor you will be. if you want a good audio performance with multiples options, room correction, dolby atmos and 13.2 channel handling so the answer is easy "8802".

BTW classe CP800 have magnificent performance with technical aspects and I hear a small hiss if I put my ear 1" from my tweeter and to 1 feet I couldn't. when I did the same test with the AV8801 in my center and surround speaker the hiss is even lower than my front speakers(I bypass the CP800 when I listen multichannel content). maybe I'm wrong but low hiss noise is not a accurate measure of quality of equipment.

Leo,
Saludos
My HT: B&W 804D fronts, HTM4D center, 805D rears, Classe CA-2300 Main amp, Preamp Stereo CLASSE CP800, Preamp Multi Channel Marantz AV8801, A31 parasound center and Surround Amp, Source Oppo BDP-95 screen Samsung 55" UE55d8000 SVS SB12-NSD
Stereo: B&W 804S fronts, Pre: Denon AVR-2809CI amp Rotel RB1582.

Last edited by leo2498; 02-27-2015 at 07:30 AM.
post #12603 of 12616 Old 02-27-2015, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyFive54950 View Post
The resolution is the same in sub and satellite filters, so any degradation to performance with an XO could be from 1) Not a good Audyssey run on the sub. Was the sub loud enough? Did you use all 8 positions? 2) The mains are in a more bass-friendly place than the sub. Audyssey can only do so much.

If I XO at 80hz I observe a degradation in performance, but this is because my room has a resonance at 80hz with the sub in it's current location. If I XO at 40hz, it sounds much better. Try a lower XO?
thanks for your answer.

The resolution is the same in sub and satellite filters, so any degradation to performance with an XO could be from 1) Not a good Audyssey run on the sub. Was the sub loud enough? Yes it was 76 dB according to marantz guide Did you use all 8 positions? Yes I did, even I put the mic’s in the same position that the marantz assistant required 2) The mains are in a more bass-friendly place than the sub. Audyssey can only do so much. I guess so, I planned my setup for two channels content mainly so I think that room acoustic I put in my room are helping this.

If I XO at 80hz I observe a degradation in performance, but this is because my room has a resonance at 80hz with the sub in it's current location. If I XO at 40hz, it sounds much better. Try a lower XO? Ok I will do.

BTW I have another doubt, finally I could use the XLR output to center and surround speaker and run again audyssey and I was surprised that the level set for it in this speaker was lower than before, for my center with rca cables was -3 dB and now with xlr is -1dB and the same thing happened with my surround, if the xlr have a gain of about 6dB why Audyssey set it with more gain that before?
After my last Audyssey reconfiguration the sub was taken of my system, not sound are coming from it, I think this room correction are not ok.

the XLR cables are musically II straightwire and for my fronts are kingcobra audioquest, in my fronts it was set to the level of -7.5 dB and during the audyssey configuration was way louder than my center and surround.

Leo,
Saludos
My HT: B&W 804D fronts, HTM4D center, 805D rears, Classe CA-2300 Main amp, Preamp Stereo CLASSE CP800, Preamp Multi Channel Marantz AV8801, A31 parasound center and Surround Amp, Source Oppo BDP-95 screen Samsung 55" UE55d8000 SVS SB12-NSD
Stereo: B&W 804S fronts, Pre: Denon AVR-2809CI amp Rotel RB1582.

Last edited by leo2498; 02-27-2015 at 07:54 AM.
post #12604 of 12616 Old 02-27-2015, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked: 640
Quote:
Did you use all 8 positions? Yes I did, even I put the mic’s in the same position that the marantz assistant required
This suggests to me that you have not read the Audyssey 101 and FAQ. The instructions in the equipment manufacturers' owners' manuals are woefully inadequate and often misleading (as for the microphone positions). The Audyssey 101 document here on AVS will help you to get a better calibration.

Quote:
BTW I have another doubt, finally I could use the XLR output to center and surround speaker and run again audyssey and I was surprised that the level set for it in this speaker was lower than before, for my center with rca cables was -3 dB and now with xlr is -1dB and the same thing happened with my surround, if the xlr have a gain of about 6dB why Audyssey set it with more gain that before?
The actual gain difference depends on the implementation of the two types of connections in your amps. Different designs have different gains.
Quote:
After my last Audyssey reconfiguration the sub was taken of my system, not sound are coming from it, I think this room correction are not ok.
Check the subwoofer channel's trim level in the receiver. If it's "too low", the signal getting to the subwoofer might not be high enough to trigger the sub's auto-on feature. i.e. turn down the gain on the subwoofer itself so that the 8801 will turn up its output signal. Also, you'll have to manually change the settings for your front speakers from "Large" to "Small" in order to enable bass management with low frequencies redirected to the subwoofer. (This is all explained in the Audyssey FAQ.)

Selden

Marantz SR7009+MM9000/Atmos 7.1.4 (FH+TM:DefTech PM1000)/LCR+TM amped
post #12605 of 12616 Old 02-28-2015, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
this is not correct at all, all audio stuff are designed with a target customers in mind and if you sonically you are testing the dac's in both equipments the classe "to my ears" is more accurate because of this I bought it. many user will buy stuff that not needing for example I not need more then 5,1 channels processor so DTS X or dolby atmos never will be in my list, I was looking for better performance in concerts and movies and I found it with the AV8801 and a 50% of the retail price is a bargain.

if you are looking to exceed audio performance and "musicality" I don't think that you will get it with the 8802 but with a SSP-800 or high end processor you will be. if you want a good audio performance with multiples options, room correction, dolby atmos and 13.2 channel handling so the answer is easy "8802".

BTW classe CP800 have magnificent performance with technical aspects and I hear a small hiss if I put my ear 1" from my tweeter and to 1 feet I couldn't. when I did the same test with the AV8801 in my center and surround speaker the hiss is even lower than my front speakers(I bypass the CP800 when I listen multichannel content). maybe I'm wrong but low hiss noise is not a accurate measure of quality of equipment.
anyone with a 8801 willing to dump there prepro now to get a 8802 or 7702 is going to be really pissed off in about 2 yrs because once all the other competitors come out with there new codecs and,
If you do want 4k content, every device in your video chain must have HDCP 2.2.
HDCP stands for High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection. time to chill out and let these companies get there act together.
post #12606 of 12616 Old 02-28-2015, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 191
And while you wait for 2.2, 2.4 will be in the works along with something else new. It's just the way of the world now.
leadliner and audiofan1 like this.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #12607 of 12616 Old 03-01-2015, 04:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 3437 Post(s)
Liked: 2730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post
And while you wait for 2.2, 2.4 will be in the works along with something else new. It's just the way of the world now.
Absolutely. Buying AV gear isn't an "investment". It's about enjoying what is available, when it is available, IMO. I could have waited for DTS:X before I bought my Atmos unit. And then I would have missed out on a whole year of Atmos and DSU goodness. I decided to jump for Atmos and I will keep my Denon 5200 for two years, which means I will then miss out on a year of DTS:X goodness. But as there isn't likely to be much content for DTS:X for a while after launch this fall, that shouldn't be too bad. And any DTS:X discs that do become available, I can enjoy with DSU - and then enjoy them all over again when I get my DTS:X-capable unit.
Dave Vaughn and leadliner like this.
post #12608 of 12616 Old 03-01-2015, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
So I just re-ran the Audyssey setup on my 8801. I noticed during the setup that the mic positions, as shown on the monitor screen, are opposite of the ones laid out in the Audyssey FAQ on this forum. Which one to believe for best results?
post #12609 of 12616 Old 03-01-2015, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1983 Post(s)
Liked: 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by awardb View Post
So I just re-ran the Audyssey setup on my 8801. I noticed during the setup that the mic positions, as shown on the monitor screen, are opposite of the ones laid out in the Audyssey FAQ on this forum. Which one to believe for best results?
It doesn't matter. Mic positions should follow general guidelines (ear height, stay away from walls and setbacks, position the mic 6-18" apart, use all 8 mic positions, etc.). The actual order of placement has no affect on the calibration. Don't obsess--sit back and enjoy your system.

Edit: A lot of work went into the FAQ, with contributions from many long-time users in the Audyssey thread, and wonderfully edited by Kbarnes701. You should feel completely confident that the advice therein is accurate.
post #12610 of 12616 Old 03-01-2015, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
It doesn't matter. Mic positions should follow general guidelines (ear height, stay away from walls and setbacks, position the mic 6-18" apart, use all 8 mic positions, etc.). The actual order of placement has no affect on the calibration. Don't obsess--sit back and enjoy your system.

Edit: A lot of work went into the FAQ, with contributions from many long-time users in the Audyssey thread, and wonderfully edited by Kbarnes701. You should feel completely confident that the advice therein is accurate.
I have full confidence in the FAQ, and deeply appreciate the work that went into it by forum users. I used the FAQ mic positions, NOT the Marantz positions on the screen. And the technology guy in me thought there was a chance the the order of placement didn't matter, but I thought I'd ask.
post #12611 of 12616 Old Yesterday, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked: 486
We have one 8801 left at AV Science at a special price - call for details.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #12612 of 12616 Unread Today, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just recieved a av8801 and playing around with it for a few days in Stereo mode with just the two main speakers which are Vandersteen 2c's. I don't know if im just used to a ton of bass but I feel the music is hallow without any punch to it. I have gone through all the settings multiple times but for the life of me still feel like it is just way too much treble and not enough bass. I hooked up my old 18+ year old Harmon Kardon avr200 mkII and that can pretty much shake the house with the amount of bass that it can produce even at low volumes. It does have a "Loudness" button on the HK and that is what boosts the sound to seem a lot fuller. Just wish this preamp had more oomph in the mids and down low.
post #12613 of 12616 Unread Today, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

You provide little information on how you have configured the AVR. Are your speakers set to large or small? Do you have a sub? Have you run Audyssey room correction yet?
post #12614 of 12616 Unread Today, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadliner View Post
anyone with a 8801 willing to dump there prepro now to get a 8802 or 7702 is going to be really pissed off in about 2 yrs because once all the other competitors come out with there new codecs and,
If you do want 4k content, every device in your video chain must have HDCP 2.2.
HDCP stands for High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection. time to chill out and let these companies get there act together.
there's pretty much a two-year cycle on this stuff, period. That's why I just invest in a good multi-channel amp, then upgrade pre-pro/receiver when major codec/formats/technology cycle
post #12615 of 12616 Unread Today, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
You provide little information on how you have configured the AVR. Are your speakers set to large or small? Do you have a sub? Have you run Audyssey room correction yet?

Speakers set to large. Ran Audyssey and I do not have a subwoofer.
post #12616 of 12616 Unread Today, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroodNV View Post
Speakers set to large. Ran Audyssey and I do not have a subwoofer.
Obviously something has changed. Audyssey likely is producing a flatter response in the low end, and flatter can sound weaker. I wouldn't expect an 8" woofer to produce thunderous bass, but I also wouldn't expect the 8801 to be a step down when compared with your older AVR. I am a proponent of measuring audio response, and I am sure that measuring your old system vs. the new one would shed light on the situation.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Ken Kreisel Dxd 12012 Subwoofer , Marantz Av8801 , Receivers Amplifiers , Audyssey , Integra
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page